Thread: Talk me through exhaust pipe

\/ \/ My motivation \/ \/ ALLMTR's Avatar

Talk me through exhaust pipe

What's the best deal with mig welding exhaust tube? Straight up, I'm a shit welder but want to get better and want to do as much on my cars as I can. Low amp, low wire and patience or high power/wire and fast action?

Any help much appreciated
    1jz Rolla Van ....... 10.5 at 134mph

"Reacher figured if he could put that drivetrain in some battered old sedan body, then that would be his kind of car"

Unregistered User Permit Roadsailing's Avatar
    Just practice, from memory the trick is hotter than you would think and move fast, but I'm a shit welder too. TIG is better and easier for nearly all aspects of exhausts if you have that luxury.

Mig is pretty easy, practice your settings and write them down.

At first go a bit hotter than you think you need. It's better to stop start a bit because you are too hot than to have fuck all peno and get it all in one.

Fit up is key. Spend as much time as possible making sure everything is a nice close fit. Any time saved here is a cunt to try and clean up later lol.

Mostly exhaust tubing isn't real thick or thin, so there isn't much that can go real wrong... Patience and fitup, the rest is pretty straight forward.

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk
    RIP Carly - a smile to light the world.
    06/07/2011

http://www.performanceforums.com/for...#post842594902 - making little toys for the big boys

Also, I'm sure you know. But just incase, always disconnect the battery from the car when spot welding or tacking or anything.

I'm paranoid so I remove both terminals lol... Only cos I can't remember which is the right one.

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk
    RIP Carly - a smile to light the world.
    06/07/2011

http://www.performanceforums.com/for...#post842594902 - making little toys for the big boys

No point repeating what fanta pants has mainly covered but as another tip I tend to have hotter settings when I tack weld and turn them down slightly when I actually weld.

Never do an uphill mig weld on thin metal too, will blow holes.

I always setup my welder by running a weld on a bit of scrap the same thickness of the job.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Thanks guys, that gives me somewhere to start

"Reacher figured if he could put that drivetrain in some battered old sedan body, then that would be his kind of car"

Unregistered User Permit Roadsailing's Avatar
    If you have more time than money it is worth looking at lobsterback bends too. Also you either get better at welding faster or a shit result with lots more leaks.

Do you get time to go from side to side or just right down the middle?

Right Up the middle. It's not thick enough to weave. Shouldn't need a second run either unless you missed the edge.
    Lots of minis & mokes including a G13b powered Sports Sedan, a couple of Swift Gtis, a Goggomobil, 928S, Polo Gti, BMW 540i, a WRX and a Navara with the deadly ZD30