Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yamaha MT07 LA - First Bike

Yamaha MT07 LA - First Bike

So the last couple of weeks have seen me finally live out a dream I've had since I was a kid - owning my own road-going motorbike.

A few weekends back I completed the 'new and improved' Victorian Motorcycle Learner's course. 16 hours and $585 later I had my licence and was ready to go shopping. For the past two years specifically I've been lusting over the Yamaha MT series. Initially I was a bit worried that, since I always really wanted the MT09, I might be disappointed by the MT07 LA. But it was basically the best power to weight bike you can buy on LAMS, and it looked basically the same, I would give it a go anyway.

The week after I got my licence, I went to my local Yamaha dealer to finally ride one and, assuming all was OK, buy one on the day. Since I'd stopped by and bugged the some dealer every 6 months or so, I thought I should buy it off him. However, they had nothing I could ride in the shop. Not a single demo of any kind! My nopics suggested making the drive down to Geelong to the Peter Stevens down there. They only had the MT Tracer, but the same driveline so I figured why not. Went for a ride on it and found that I really liked the fact that I didn't have to ring its neck to get it moving. Once I had the chance to give it a bit in the straight line, I was sold.

After some solid negotiations on the available 2017 bikes, I settled on the White/Black paint, as well as the mandatory (in my mind) Akrapovic exhaust. I ended up buying it as a kit and installing myself as I didn't want to pay $160 for 30 minutes of work.

First time I've ever picked up any motor vehicle with 0km on the clock.

I rode it home from Geelong on a Friday night and parked it up, ready to cool down so I could install the pipe.

I decided to leave the DB Killer in the exhaust, which I'm happy with at the moment. Much more volume and a better note without being obnoxious.

First thing Saturday morning I went on a ride from my place out west down Beach Rd on the east of the bay with my Father in Law on his stupidly loud Harley Soft Tail.

Then in the afternoon went to a ride down the beach on my side of town.

On Sunday, I rode across to the Dandenongs and through the hills. By the time I had finished the weekend, I'd put a few km on it.

Then rode it to work on Monday and threw another 65km on board.

All in all - I love it. It's the best thing I've ever bought. For a first bike it's fast, rides well, is very comfortable, sounds great and I love how it looks. Only other mods will be a radiator guard, tail tidy and sliders. In time I'll replace the throttle plate to remove the limiter and bore out the intake restrictors for an extra 25whp or so. But for now, it's plenty fast for my skill level.
    Last edited by [TUFFVQ]; 21-09-17 at 10:32 AM.

Congratulations. Looks tits.

Nice buying. MT's probably shouldn't be learner legal haha, clutch up wheelies are too easy on them.
    If you're riding around Black Rock/beach rd again and want someone to ride with who isn't on a cruiser gimme a yell.

Also, Melbourne Street Riders have decent rides (learner friendly) and events. MotoHeaven in Moorabbin also organise regular rides and bikes and coffee once a month.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mudkicker View Post
    How many blowjobs to pay off that debt?

Awesome - Thanks RMX.
    I'm still too soft to mono at this point. Give me time!

Nice pickup. Wish they'd had stuff like this when I was a learner.

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy View Post
    Nice pickup. Wish they'd had stuff like this when I was a learner.
    The current LAMS list is definitely the best it's ever been. But the restrictions are certainly the strictest that have ever been as well.
    And as far as cost goes, this bike is far from cheap with respect to unrestricted bikes. As in, it's under 2k away from the MT09...

Nice one, as an MT09 owner I am biased but good choice. From all reports the 07 LAMS is a ripper (as is the HO version).

With the pipe (pretty much same as the 09 bar the number of pipes going in) baffle out is fun, but fucking droney and annoying on the triple (I like loud but its truly offensive which is fine but it makes your brain hurt on constant throttle/highway). The baffle from an RC8R fits and is a single open pipe and gives you nearly as much lovely noises as no baffle but a tiny bit quiter and without any of the drone. Can be had from the UK for $50 (or in Aus from KTM for $140 + a 3 week or more wait!)
    Hide yo' wife!!!

awesome bikes, welcome to the MT club

Thanks for the heads up on the baffle. I'll keep it in mind. At the moment I'm pretty happy with the tone but I'm sure I'll eventually want more noise.
    Away for the week for work - craving a ride!

The first option I did was cut the baffle down (on the triple there are 3 pipes on one end of the baffle that go on to 3 pipes inside the muff, would be same on yours but 2 pipes) Cut the inner pipes down and you get a bit more noise (nothing else really). From the ones I heard I have to say I reckon the twin sounded better with no baffle than the triple.
    Hide yo' wife!!!

Wicked bike! My mate has one with the akra pipe and it sounds mint 👌

I'm really happy with the noise, especially considering it's a twin.

workmate has one. im lusting after the xsr700.....
    Sloth: [Sloff] Noun, like Skompa but with euro shitboxen, a large bearded person, with a penchant for cider and garlic pizza.

Quote Originally Posted by Rdyno View Post
    That's retardism cunt stop discriminating against me and my fellow retards.

The XSR does look good in person. Runs the same engine and trans as mine. I just prefer the more 'sport bike' look.

Opens
    Nice one. I convinced my P plater friend to get the same bike. Looks nice in white.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Jones View Post
    Sneakers prompted the erection. Engine stand made me do something with it

So over the weekend started browsing accessories.
    At this point I'm thinking most every product from Evotech available for the bike.
    Can't help myself...

Google some more, if you're looking at stuff like pillion block off plates as an e.g - Evotech do them but you can get the same thing for half the price from elsewhere.
    Hide yo' wife!!!

Just don't try and completely cheap out on crash protection and get the OES accessories ones because they suck balls and I now have a dent in my tank from a low speed high side.

T-Rex racing look good and are what will be going on my 09 next.

http://www.t-rex-racing.com/catalog....013%20-%202015

I've always liked the 07s looks and wished the 09s were styled as aggressively. 07 = Miranda Kerr, 09 = Samantha Armitage

Had a look at the T-Rex catalogue. For the frame slider combo kit is $349 USD but once the postage is included and exchange rates its $700 delivered

So I should be due for the first service after next weekend, about 15 days after picking it up.

Spent some time in the man cave tonight. Sat and stared at the bike, made some decisions about what I'd like to do visually. And also lamented that the drop tank I put into the VN recently is leaking...

Yeah so I like black and white cars/bikes. The Fiesta ST is also black and white.

Love this shot. Slowly stripping the bike of the bullshit (decals and reflectors and what not)

Last edited by [TUFFVQ]; 21-09-17 at 10:32 AM.

OK First service down, had a week with minimal riding as I'd clocked up the thousand kms and didn't want to keep piling on the kays without the oil and filter change. All done on Saturday, $220 thanks :|

Whilst there, I was speaking with the mechanics about removing the DB Killer on the exhaust. They happily obliged and a few hits with the slide hammer had it out. Fired it up, yep - definitely loud. But not a good loud. Rode it home and in ten minutes from the workshop to home I had a headache, a bike that sounded a lot like a Harley and an off the charts decibel reading. Fail. Only plus side was that the exhaust looked a little better.

So I modified the baffle to make it easier to remove (linished the main outer face that sits within the muffler, pie cut the sleeve that goes over the tubes within the muffler and took 10mm off the end of them to help installing them) and drilled 4 x 6mm holes int he tubes to get a bit of noise in the exiting pipes from the '1st stage' of the muffler (from what I understand, it's a multi-pass muffler, which makes sense from the slots visible in the third pic). Has given it a bit more bark without losing the actual sound of it. If I want more, just drill more holes

Last edited by [TUFFVQ]; 21-09-17 at 10:33 AM.

Instead of more holes just cut the internal pipes off as close to the "cup" part as possible - more noise but not of the offensive kind (I've done this on my 09 way back and more recently fitted a KTM RC8R baffle as it is a single pipe and fits the 09 Akra - more noise, more flow but without max noise)

Re crash protection - I have this brand on my 09 and rate them, mine are low mount types where the 07's mount higher but should be decent protection (and personally I like the look)

http://www.motea.com/en/crashbars/cr...3-273431-0.htm
    Hide yo' wife!!!

Thanks Mate.
    Just ordered the Evotech radiator guard and front & rear bobbins, as well as a basic tail tidy. I really like the Ermax rear end kits so might upgrade to that one day.

Still chasing sliders though. Appreciate the link but the crash bars look too much like the learner licence bikes

But do you want something that works, or looks good. Just tell everyone you're a fucking stunting mad cunt.
    Hide yo' wife!!!

Haha, well, I could probably build my own crash bars if I went down that path.

Put on the radiator guard and front and rear bobbins last night. I didn't really need the bobbins but I felt they just finished off an area that looked unfinished.

Rear Before

Rear After

Front Before

Front After

Radiator Before

Radiator After

Done for the night

This is for tonight's fun.
    Last edited by [TUFFVQ]; 21-09-17 at 10:33 AM.

OK the tail tidy. Bit of a debarcle.
    I bought a cheap one off eBay because I'm pretty sure I want to move to the Ermax tail set down the track but couldn't justify 400 euro plus postage right now. Given I want to change it later, I also didn't really feel like shelling out $180 for the evotech bracket. After the 3+ hours it took to install the cheapy, I should've just bought the Evotech bracket.

Old lameness.

It was at this point I really began to wonder wtf I was doing to my brand new bike....

This is where it got interesting. The bracket I specifically asked for was to integrate the stock indicators rather than aftermarket ones, as all the replacements I'd seen weren't very bright by comparison. Turns out that the profile of the opening was wrong (too large) and the thickness of the mounting about half what was required. This meant the indicator could freely rotate around 90deg and flop around about 20 deg up and down. Not great.

Ended up modifying the bracket (ghetto) and made up two plastic spacers from a 3 core cabling reel to get it fit. There were no supplied fasteners, and the stock ones were too short, so I found some stainless cap screws lying around.

All done, but not ideal.
    Last edited by [TUFFVQ]; 21-09-17 at 10:34 AM.

Made up a proper plate to support the 'L' plate and re-fit the rear reflector to keep mr plod happy on the weekend.

Also clocked over 2,000km.

So much better with the tail tidy. Nice work.

Don't get sucked in to buying cheap ching chong LED indicators, they are worse than shit and being seen on a bike is kinda important. I went for Barracuda Silur's (after falling in to the ching chong trap) - fuck me they are bright and a sexy minimal shape to boot. I know you said you got the version for stock indicators but sounds like either a piece of shit or wrong, a few mobs sell adapter plates for indicators for around $15 (I might even have some lying around, I will look later)
    Hide yo' wife!!!

OK so time for an update.
    Pics are gone, and I've not figured out a substitute upload site for them. Any advice?

In between then and now, bike has now clocked over 4,000km. I'm off L's! And the bike is fully de-restricted.
    I fitted a different throttle stop plate, an FZ07 airbox (with no restrictor in the throttle stacks), a K&N filter and did the intake snorkel mod.
    Now a totally different bike. I definitely believe the claimed 50% power increase at the tyre.

Also fitted Lightech sliders, some rim decals and CRG Arrow mirrors in lieu of the factory items.

Bike is now done Happy camper!