Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Resistance is futile - The story of the borg.

On a different dyno and a totally different tune, it made 300hp @ about 21psi, or 25 hp more than before Ė but itís hardly an apples-to-apples comparison.

This tune is much nicer, they spent far more time getting the idle and cruise conditions perfect which has made the car much nicer to drive.

The tune is also running very rich at 11.5:1 and there is only a max of 17 degreesí total advance compared with 20 degrees previously. So, over all its made slightly more power but with a much softer tune. High five!

It has been nearly 9 years since I had the car in a drivable mode and I am amazed at how old Iíve gotten. The car is raw, grumpy and takes a lot of effort to drive Ė god itís fun Ė but this isnít something I would appreciate driving every day and I donít think itís something I could.

Since the car has been on the road again, Iíve put on a set of Bridgestone Potenza RE003ís and printed some custom hub-centric rings.

For the hub-centric rings I used ABS plastic which should be okay, its transition temperature is around 105c and it would probably still be okay around 140c. Really its only used to locate the wheels while doing them up and donít really serve a purposed after that.

This is where I am today, almost the middle of 2017, 12 years after buying the car. Where to from here?

What an awesome read! Great that you stuck with it!

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk
    1990 E30 BMW 318is - In progress!
    1974 KE25 Corolla Coupe - So much rust...
    1955 Matchless G9 - On the road and loving it!
    1954 Matchless G80 - Because the one above runs too well so I need something more broken...
    And a fucking 1962 Rover... Because that makes sense

Well done mate, excellent read, heaps of work has gone into it.

Holy crap, this escalated somewhat
    Japanese Nostalgic Car - Dedicated to classic japanese cars

Opinionated Cunt perthdrivers.txt's Avatar
    Great writeup, I'm sure I'm not the only one who can relate to many feelings you've gone through with this build!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    I feel that rules are important as without rules there is no cheating and cheating is a vital part of drag racing.
    Quote Originally Posted by elfturbomax View Post
    What has happened to PF? It seems to be diesel love now days. Maybe the name should be changed to Particulate Forums.
    3x1UZ+1x2UR...

That's a great write up. Very enjoyable.

Awesome build mate, love oddball shit like this!

Sensei Cobra
    Definitely different. Hard to believe this took place over 12 years! Very cool little project.

A-grade build thread - great to see a different car, too. It really looks like a 2/3 size VR-4!

What a cracking read, all of those fuck ups/fixes and associated head in hands "the fuck have i done" feels are 110% relatable.

Be great to see the wick wound up and make some real power, it must weigh 3/10's of fuck all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimi View Post
    80mm of penetration isn't bad, i wish i had that much.
    Quote Originally Posted by schnitzelburger View Post
    My entire working career pretty much consists of suckin dick and takin names.

Sometimes im too busy to take names.

And here I was thinking 4g92. 6 bolt 63's are amazing motors. Heavy but fuck there strong! Consider me assimilated!
    Last edited by jimmyg; 19-05-17 at 10:32 AM.
    Mmmmmmmmm beer.

Quote Originally Posted by ALLMTR View Post
    You had one fucking job, Imran. One. Now look, there's Flibberty Gibbets all up in here, seeing straight through your ruse. One. Fucking. Job!

I love the photo of the car with the chrome hubcaps on, would make for some pretty entertaining trolling on the street. Looks like a 17 yr olds supercheap performance special CB lancer! I didn't realise they were AWD either! I was under the impression the cyborgs were still FWD.
    1990 E30 BMW 318is - In progress!
    1974 KE25 Corolla Coupe - So much rust...
    1955 Matchless G9 - On the road and loving it!
    1954 Matchless G80 - Because the one above runs too well so I need something more broken...
    And a fucking 1962 Rover... Because that makes sense

Great read!

| 1963 RK43 Toyota Lite-Stout (Stanley) | 2002 EC5W Mitsubishi Legnum VR-4 Type-S (Larry) |

Quote Originally Posted by Gammaboy View Post
    PF - We're not happy till you're not happy.

Thanks lads.

I spent a couple of days prepping this story by going through photos and writing everything up, that was roller coaster of memories.

I am enjoying having it going again though, and compared to my Fiesta ST daily the borg is much, much faster and even seems to handle a bit better.

The KM221 gearbox that's in the car is pretty bad though, very notchy and very hard to shift gears with. I've put a new clutch master & slave and adjusted it properly but its still very bad. I will try a different gearbox oil and see if that helps but I think its just old and crap and that I might really need to put the W5M33 along with the 3.5's in.

Fucken cars.

So. What does the boot look like now?
    Previously known as Lobster, Chuss's brother's anus, Chuss's brother, Lobsook, Lobstersock, Socks, Sockz, MissAmericaImportGirl, ClutchCLobster

CJM 4 Life yo!

This is epic. I loved these things, right in my sweet spot of teenaged lust for all things automotive out of Japan that we couldn't get our hands on easily.

Great write up and we'll done on sticking with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by thebluerx7 View Post
    The fact they want to ban cash makes me want to go out and use it full time again now .

I love these things, I remember there were a couple being rallied in the late 1990s.

Great writeup!

I've never been at all interested in Mitsubishis (apart from thinking I wouldn't mind having a thrash of a latish model evo) but this has been a really interesting read!

Can relate to so much of it - chasing problems, doing unnecessary overly complicated shit to try and fix a problem/go faster, buying unsuitable parts and regretting it, getting older and having to park the car for a while because life gets in the way etc.

Thanks for sharing!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by jmac
    But on seatbelts - I don't think they should be mandatory for adults, but for under 18s. I reckon make them mandatory up till then, and provide plenty of graphic evidence supporting their use to school age children, and then if they hit adulthood and don't choose to wear them, think of the future without these fucken idiots around...

Little engine that could. itsnotagsr's Avatar
    Nice work! Glad to see it worked out in the end.

/fellow Mitsubishi tragic.
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower." - Mark Donahue Penske Porsche 917

"In Japan we no give fark for Subaru" - Trust Japan Technical Director
    (TM - AVENGE)

"You can never have enough power. I remember when we had Group B cars... THEN we had enough power!"
    Juha Kankkunen - Rally of Argentina '02

A+, would read again!

7 Months since the last update and a few things have happened to this nugget.

1. the clutch was "dragging" - it would shift okay'ish below 3krpm but anything above and it was almost impossible to change gears. Give the throttle a blip to 5krpm when stationary with the clutch in and 1st gear selected and the car would lurch forward. I spent months changing the whole clutch hydraulic system, new master, slave, braided lines adjusted and bleed dozens of times. but it just wouldnt fully disengage.

Ended up pulling the gearbox and found the brand new flywheel was 0.1mm out from the tight end of the specification, which is bloody stupid as i would have thought something new would have been correct out of the box. Had the flywheel machined down about 0.2mm, then reassembled and fuck me, perfect clutch feel and shifting!

2. that fucking sump and bloody oil leaks, made from the finest chinesium and unbeknown to me the reason the transfer case was hard to slide on was because it was self clearancing against the sump and making it look like swiss cheese. fuck sake.

Put some chewing gum in the hole and finally, after how many years - the car is leak free!

Its all been fixed for the last few weeks and i've been driving it around a lot, its bloody hot going without air con, but so much fun!
    I do love this picture, there hasnt been many days over the last 10 years where this car could be outside - but next to the RS it remind me of an older sibling showing the youngin how it should be.

...anyway seems tomorrow, 3rd of Jan is a Mitsubishi vs Subaru night at Kwinanna Motorplex and well, that seems a fitting debut for this thing. No idea what it will run down the quarter, but if it survives a pass without killing me i'll be happy!

Thank you for the great read

Great read bloke, and nice to see something different.

Quote Originally Posted by to4garret View Post
    ...anyway seems tomorrow, 3rd of Jan is a Mitsubishi vs Subaru night at Kwinanna Motorplex and well, that seems a fitting debut for this thing. No idea what it will run down the quarter, but if it survives a pass without killing me i'll be happy!
    All the best with the 1/4 mile. Loved the read...and I admire your perseverance, I would have lost interest and flogged it off for cheap (then live with regret a year or two later).

Friend here in canberra has a hatch version. Epic little car, amazing what just bolts on/in from other models.

It's a good days racing when you can drive to the strip and back home again all in one piece!

No major issues at the motorplex today, I only did two runs with the first being a 12.9 @ 112mph and the second was a 14.2 @ 101mph - due to 3 crunched gears in a row but both with 2.1s 60'.

It was the first time i've taken this car to the strip so i did learn a lot, especially about how to better setup the car.

1. Launch Control needs enabling, will make it a lot easier than bouncing the revs around.
    2. "No Lift to Shift" would help a lot with the turbo lagg between gear changes.
    3. Shift point should be just below 7krpm the gearbox doesn't like anything above that (single syncros)
    4. Rev limiter needs changing from "Soft" to "Hard", near the end of the run i'm tapping out 4th gear into the Soft limit
    5. Need something to keep the W2A water circulating with the fans going while the motors off, there was quite a bit of heat soak.
    6. Engine Coolant Sensor seems buggered, it bounces around all over the shop during the run.
    7. Boost was recorded at 18psi, so there is still 3 or 4psi more in this tune.

I setup the ECU to log the run and have a bunch of data to review later, but I did notice the Wideband didnt log for some reason.

cunt
    enjoyed reading this! keep it up mate
    Quote Originally Posted by BeverlyHillsCop View Post
    I think u should marry her... slip the ring inside your ass and next time she goes in, she'll come out with a ring on her finger...

Cracking thread mate.... well done sticking with it.

How do you like the RS??