Thread: DIY CNC router?

DIY CNC router?

Anyone built their own CNC router? Many of us have 3d printers now, and i see a DIY CNC as just the next step on from that.

Considering building an MPCNC or Root 3 to do some smaller stuff (300x300 cutting plate), just to see how it goes. No room for much bigger than that for now, but later on perhaps.

Anyone built one?
    Chris
    ------
    I cant get no sleep...
    AE86 race car thread is finally up to date | Supposedly i have a new daily project too
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Ask the same question on Ozclubbies Forum.

Suzuki Mighty Boy / BEC Rear Mid mount Suzuki 1150cc 450kg Hillclimber [in the build]

This space left blank Ben Wilson's Avatar
    The MPCNC stuff looks easy enough, if I had a use for one, I'd give it a go...
    Imagination is more important than knowledge.

Yeah, the MPCNC looks relatively trivial, and definitely cheap enough. With all the spares i already have i reckon i could get away with under $200 for it.
    Chris
    ------
    I cant get no sleep...
    AE86 race car thread is finally up to date | Supposedly i have a new daily project too
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Get the biggest and beefiest one you can afford. Then you can do aluminium stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by mrniceguy View Post
    Get the biggest and beefiest one you can afford. Then you can do aluminium stuff.
    And use it to make itself stronger and better!
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Why router over say a mill?

My next step is mill, was going to mod a seigX3 but thinking i will just bite the bullet buy a decent sized one from the start and turn it to a CNC mill from there
    CISCOKIDS
    The Gentlemen's Club
    Midnight Rocker

Quote Originally Posted by ROBAPHENT View Post
    Why router over say a mill?

My next step is mill, was going to mod a seigX3 but thinking i will just bite the bullet buy a decent sized one from the start and turn it to a CNC mill from there
    Cheaper/smaller/lighter starting point I guess.
    I've long contemplated the ~$1000 CNC aliexpress router (3 axis), even though I know an RongFu 40 mill would be a better starting point, except for the whole really needing to convert to ballscrews and linear bearings instead of acme thread and greased V-ways.
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Router because i tend to do non-automotive stuff too. Being able to machine out flat sheet is advantageous for me.

Thinking MPCNC at this stage, its simple enough, expandable, and wont cost a huge amount with the spares I already have. Biggest bit is that i can build it to suit the 600x600mm footprint that i currently have in the cramped garage, and then if it gets a lot of work out i can just upsize it by buying new rails and longer Cat 5 cables. No need to do anything else.
    Chris
    ------
    I cant get no sleep...

Looking at that MPCNC stuff - it doesn't look like it's got the rigidity to be particularly usefull cutting alloy - small cuts at low feedrate it'll probably be ok. There's just not alot of rigidity in the printed components.
    Absolutely fine for MDF and plastic sheet though.

Doesn't seem too bad.

Even if it does take longer, you aren't paying for machine time in your own garage.

Iguess it depends what you'd be happy with. notice the half cut path in the foreground - i think he might have tried too big a cut.

Given that the footprint will be 600x600 and the cutting space of around 330x330, im not too fussed with a slower cut rate. Its really to make up little brackets, switch plates and stuff.
    Chris
    ------
    I cant get no sleep...

I've been making plenty of parts for my rx7 on my router. Most I've needed are bigger than a 330x330mm footprint and that pass depth is painfully slow but that's the trade-off for the price I guess. I like that it's pretty quick and straightforward to design 2D shapes, I wouldn't know where to start with designing for 3D printing.

These are some 5mm engine lifting brackets I made from scrap (click for video). This is running fairly slow and shallow because small parts are hard to hold with a vaccum bed.

A large bed opens up a lot more options though (polycarbonate window set)

Last edited by neil_se; 19-05-17 at 06:48 PM.

Which setup is that Neil?

It's a Multicam 1500x3000mm.

If you ppl want mills and have space for between 10 to 20k you can pick up some good machines from auctions, the issues with doing this are:

They are serious fucking machines, eg 10 years ago could have been worth 300 to 500k. If you shit a drive they can be 2 to 4 k to fix. If you are a handy cunt there is minimal issue.

They are big, you need frannas etc to move them, half the time it costs half the machine price to move the thing.

You need 3 phase.

You need to be handy to built a post from your cam software.

But they are proper awesome.
    3D scanning
    3D modelling
    Structural certification
    3 and 5 axis milling

BOOSTFARKIN
    Hmm will be watching this ive been throwing ideas around for a diy plasma / router table and to able to do 1200 by 1200 so be able too use a full sheet without having to cut it down to use in the machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Morcs View Post
    Hmm will be watching this ive been throwing ideas around for a diy plasma / router table and to able to do 1200 by 1200 so be able too use a full sheet without having to cut it down to use in the machine.
    MPCNC seems to be able to do that fairly easily:
    Chris
    ------
    I cant get no sleep...

This popped up in my news feed a few days ago... looks decent.
    http://www.instructables.com/id/3-Ax...lling-Machine/

I helped a mate getting a cnc plasma cutter going.

he had already built the frame. its not ridged enough so the accuracy suffers. its alright for farm work.

it's driven by a program called mach 3
    http://www.machsupport.com/
    '01 RS125
    '01 CR500
    '07 CR125
    '70 Mk2 Cortina
    '12 Transit
    Clubman go kart

yeah I have been toying with the idea of making a CNC router too. interesting stuff here.
    "And I know that arseholes grow on trees but I'm here to trim the leaves" Peeping Tom, Mike Patton

CNC Mill

There is lots of good info on CNC zone if you want to burn a few days reading build threads;

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/benchtop-machines/

These two threads inspired me to have a go;

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/bencht...638-forum.html
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/bencht...2-cnc-cad.html

But I never made it to a completed machine before owning a couple of real cnc's.

I got the design 70% done, the control box completed and able to move 4 servo motors and control the spindle motor from a gcode file, and acquired most of the parts. I like to think I might finish it one day, we'll see...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-03-09 20.21.35.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	2.39 MB 
ID:	99788   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cnc2.JPG 
Views:	15 
Size:	42.9 KB 
ID:	99787   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cnc1.JPG 
Views:	13 
Size:	43.3 KB 
ID:	99786  

I reckon im goign to build the MPCNC to start with and then see where to go from there. Worst case it will have cost me about $50 in non-reusable parts (and even then many of those are reusable). Just some filament, 608RS bearings and about $20 worth of steel tubing.
    If the MPCNC doesnt do what i want it to do then all of the electronics and stuff can go into a DIY XCarve, which from all the videos will absolutely do what i want. Plus at the least the MPCNC will be able to make MDF templates for the XCarve brackets, and if not that then i can get them laser cut.

Planning on starting to print the bits for the MPCNC this afternoon.
    Chris
    ------
    I cant get no sleep...

Also this is super cool
    Chris
    ------
    I cant get no sleep...

Would like to build a big 5 axis machine that could also do moulds for fibreglass.

Off the top of my head... Avoid grbl. As far as I know you cannot adjust feed rate on the go which sucks. Also check out the clearpath servos. They take a step and direction signal like a stepper but straight from the controller board, no driver. They look impressive. Quite expensive, but no driver required.

I've just revived my CNC router project. I'm using 400W Yaskawa servos and drives. All the motion is via ballscrews.

Machine frame

Drives

One of the servos (Y-Axis)

And I'll be using this watercooled Chinese spindle

“Buy the ticket, take the ride.’”
    ― Hunter S. Thompson

Have you got any cooling fans for the driver box?

Hey Mopar, no fans in there but I've already gone past wanting to use that box. It's really good quality IP6 but not really big enough. I've got a bunch of stock to make up a new box that will have plenty of forced cooling and incorporate the CNC controller (smoothie board) and a single board PC to run Mach 3.
    “Buy the ticket, take the ride.’”
    ― Hunter S. Thompson