Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S15 track day pad recommendation

S15 track day pad recommendation

Junior's mate reckons he's going to do a track day with us next month in his S15. I've had a look over it and a chat to him, it seems the only potential issue for a first outing will be the front pads, which are street pads and apparently not that great even for street driving.

My experience with pads from this decade is limited to QFM A1RMs, and Project Mu Club Racers. The QFMs are cheap and cheerful, not much bite, but serviceable and will get through a day at the track without falling to bits. The Project Mu have massive bite, and are outstanding on the track, but beyond the budget of the young fella. Also low end of the operating range is 300 degrees, so no good for the street.

What else is out there that you have track experience with? I'm hoping there's something in the QFM price range bit with more grab, and preferably with a low end operating temp of zero, so he can keep them in for street driving.

Cheers.

I've had great success with Hawk pads in the MX-5.
    Hawk HP+ are a good basic track pad that are perfectly streetable.
    Hawk Blue are more track specific, but still work fine cold so can be used on the street, although not recommended.
    Last edited by bbeavis; 21-05-17 at 09:27 PM.

I never ran my S15 on the track, but with Ferodo DS2500 they were awesome on mountain runs.

Intima Sr, the purple ones, similar price but more bite than a1rm. Kinder on rotors and still work well cold. About as good as you'll get for Street/track without costing drug money. Nearly on par with project mu hc+. I buy mine through trak-life.com

Jak Sie Masz! trent from punchy's Avatar
    I loved the Hawk pads in my MX5 too, one thing I didn't like though, crazy amount of dust.

JDM pads are often better in that regard.
    www.markpakula.com
    2017 Subaru Impreza Hatch - for the grind
    2015 Cervelo S2 - for the fitness
    2005 Honda Accord Euro - for the wife
    1991 CBR250RR - for the fun

If you have the lead time and going with the Hawks, I recommend you buy from hawkpadsdirect.com, will be a lot cheaper than here even with postage.

I buy as many sets as I can at a time for the lowest postage rate given in the shipping costs, just keep adjusting the numbers up until the shipping goes up in the cart, then drop back a set.

One disadvantage is cross referencing pad numbers can be a pain.

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk

Endless N35S - I think they renamed them something else now though. You can get them from RHD Japan for about $200 plus post, great pads and last forever.

carbotech XP8 or XP10 depending on if you can deal with a bit of cold sqeal on the road.

I buy them from speed freaks in USA. bought a bunch of them, but now the USD is so bad it might not be worth it. they put down a transfer layer so are quite kind on rotors

I'm a bit hard on the brakes though, I've managed to crumble A1RMs and seperate Project Mu HC800s from the backing plate. It might be a technique problem on my part rather than a brake pad problem. I think I just got them too hot. anything higher than an XP10 is quite a compromise for street use in my opinion, but a fantastic track pad.

you're looking at about 230 usd for a 4 pot brembo style caliper in XP10 compound.

but my REAL advice is to put Castrol SRF through the brake lines. wet boiling point is massive so you don't need to bleed it all the time. good for 12+ months easy.
    Last edited by burn is weird; 22-05-17 at 09:15 AM.

Oo___oO

Improved Production Racer Datman's Avatar
    I tried the Froza FR6 pads last year with my S15. These are apparently the equivalent to something like Project Mu 16-03 or Winmax W6.

I must say, I was impressed. I have run Hawke Blue's in the past and the Forza were very good over 2-3 laps. I had no fade at all, and was pushing them pretty hard. As a bonus, they worked well on the street also. At $249 a set delivered, I thought they were awesome value. I got them from the guys at Brakes Direct.
    When the flag drops...............the bullshit stops!
    Go Hard..........or Go Home!

VW Amarok - Daily
    2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee (Limited) - Nopics
    2001 S15 - IPRA Build
    VE SS Redline Ute - SOLD
    SR20DET Powered IPRA Datsun Sunny = 400hp @ Wheels - SOLD

+1 for intima sr in this case. If it's just an occasional use I wouldn't bother going more aggressive than these. They're the same price as qfm and heaps better.

Fwiw I run pmu hc800 on my car and have been very happy with them, but for occasional track days only and stockish power I think the intima will be more than enough.

The only pads that will stop my overweight, 1900kg time attack car are Pmu H16-03 and Hawk DTC70. Endless PC35 were ok too for a street track pad.

I've used the top Intima's (Type D), Forza 6 and neither provided reliable stopping distance when on a qualifying/pb attempt lap.
    (Waiting to trial the Forza 7 which should be an improvement.)

QFM A1RM were the worst I have ever used. 1 lap and gone.
    BMW M140i daily.
    Honda Odyssey.
    FG XR6T ZF - Road registered 410rwkw Circuit car.

Wakefield 1.07.386 (Street Tyres 1.08.8) Marulan Short 43.4 SMP GP 1.48.1 Winton 1.35.4

+1 for Carbotech XP10 here.

I used QFM's - They fell apart
    Pmu Club racers were expensive and they also fell apart, and gave inconsistent feel. They were also useless when cold and squeal was terrible on the street.
    Carbotech XP10 have similar bite to the Pmu club racers, only they are more durable, cheaper, more consistent in feel, easier on rotors and they work fine when cold. They seriously beat the Pmu's in every single measurable way, still squeal a bit tho.

Banned
    His 1st trackday he wont be using any of these pads anywhere near their potential just go cheap and cheerful.

Staying on the Carbotech Range it sounds like their most QFM equivalent compound would be their AX6. The beauty of their range is their transfer layers are all compatible as well. I swap between the XP10 and their street (1521) compound.

If he wants something that can also be ran on the street - as mentioned i bet he wont use more than 80% of braking capability anyway .... DOT5.1 fluid and Winmax W5 or W6.5 up front W3 or W5 Rears

If keeping a set for trackdays, W6.5, W7 or Circo M119 or M127

Another vote for Ferodo DS2500 pads. I street drove an S14 and track it regularly (Wakefield, SMSP, Marulan) with great, consistent braking, handled track temps well and usable on the street. All without being cost prohibitive.

* Full disclosure - this was on an S14 setup with R32 GTR callipers (non brembo's), DBA4000 rotors, braided lines and high temp fluid.

But high temp fluid and DS2500 pads will be enough to get him started and last the day without crumbling to nothing.

Thanks gents for your comments, most appreciated. Lots of good ideas here, I will pass the info on.

It's the first track day for this car, not for the driver. I've been in his passenger seat, he's a reasonable steerer, and will be pushing hard enough to be getting them up to temperature, so will need something decent.

Banned
    Ok you didnt tell me that part I would say DS2500 they worked ok on my S15 until they caught on fire
    and disintegrated number of times and the QFM A1RMs were almost as good but they also caught on
    fire and disintegrated. But you did say cheap. Intimas were the worse track pad I have ever used.

Qfm comp 9s

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    EL GHIA
    GT3582R
    EMS

If a decent steerer, I wouldnt even consider anything from QFM, wouldnt even use them on a road car.

Winmax W6.5 or W7 or M119 or M127 by Circo. Know personally a few people who have swapped from DS2500's to Winmax/Circo - each improved times with no extra mods due to braking confidence

Serious question but how much money has been tipped into this car?

If it's a nice car and valued, then surely $300 for a set of Project Mu club racers is money well spent.
    xw Falcon 393 full race cam, NGK spark plugs.

Banned
    He states cheap. Theyre are dozens of brilliant race pads for the right money.

what does he define as cheap?

Banned
    cosrat do you mean when not what or is that kiwi speak anyway when he states QFM price
    because they are cheap.

QFM are cheap for a reason .... use real pads and you'll see the difference

Banned
    Thanks for the advice cosrat I will take it onboard.

QFM use to be the pad that every man and his dog insisted you had to have, now you're a sucker if you use them.... That's the Internet for you

The only "performance" pad I've ever used is a couple sets of the QRM A1RM.... When warm they stop the car pretty well (yay duh) but do crumble even on hill runs. No go for track.

I'm following to see what people recommend as i'm looking to upgrade myself
    Last edited by junny; 25-05-17 at 10:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Rust View Post
    Serious question but how much money has been tipped into this car?

If it's a nice car and valued, then surely $300 for a set of Project Mu club racers is money well spent.
    yea i think stopping good is more important than going good

Oo___oO

Junior's mate ended up getting QFM A1RMs front and rear. They held up just fine on the track, he was really happy with them.

Thanks everyone for your advice.

Banned
    See cheap and cheerful. Well done.