Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: S15 track day pad recommendation

He'll be real happy until the rotors have been destroyed.

Quote Originally Posted by THE CHIEF View Post
    He'll be real happy until the rotors have been destroyed.
    Yeah, I did see a reasonably quick car on the weekend running A1RMs and it's front rotors looked like they were getting a hard time. Thankfully S15 rotors are cheaper than pads.

Quote Originally Posted by Sprinkles View Post
    Yeah, I did see a reasonably quick car on the weekend running A1RMs and it's front rotors looked like they were getting a hard time. Thankfully S15 rotors are cheaper than pads.
    This is true. Good point 👍

He'll enjoy them when they fall apart and realise they have the feeling of a piece of wood underfoot.

A mate of ours had 4 piston harrops on his VZ, just an LSX NA, last minute one time before he went to wakefield he realised he needed some pads and was talked into A1RM's by a business known to push them quite actively about the place, and they lasted all of 3 laps before falling apart. they really are a pretty shitful pad compared to whats available out there in the market place today

Cosrat of course there shit but you pay for what you get. We all know there is shitloads
    of brilliant track pads out there but they are not $100. He stated cheap he is new to the
    track he dosent really brake that hard or late they didnt fall apart like they would normally
    and he is happy. I cant see any issues with that.
    I told them I once raced cars (total lie ) pissed them right off I will think of something bigger.

turbosurfer

Quote Originally Posted by turbosurfer View Post
    Cosrat of course there shit but you pay for what you get. We all know there is shitloads
    of brilliant track pads out there but they are not $100. He stated cheap he is new to the
    track he dosent really brake that hard or late they didnt fall apart like they would normally
    and he is happy. I cant see any issues with that.
    Post earlier on says "first track day for the car, not driver. Reasonable good steerer and will be using brakes enough to get up to temp etc etc"

ANyone who spends cheap money on pads if they are a reasonable steerer and done track days before is a fool and creating an unsafe environment for them and potentially other sharing the track with them. Even though they are marketed to 780˚C and on paper a decent ” its yet to see anything to ever back that up

The bloke in the garage next to us was doing 1:08s on the A1RMs, did a 1:07 at the previous day. He had the pads out of it at lunchtime, they looked fine to me.

What lap times someone does on a particular pad is irrelevant.
    Guarantee that 1.08 car would be doing 6's on decent race pad.
    So it did 7's,.... then 8's,.... then were taking out.............hmmm.......

Fact is A1RM offer very poor stopping power when they get to a certain temp.
    Be it one lap on my car's set up or 3 laps on another car.
    Depends on many factors like weight, pad surface area, rotor type, duct set up, and most importantly front tyre width/compound.

However, if they work for this particular driver with that particular set up, then all good.
    Just be warned, at some point, they will feel like polished glass, usually when you are getting more confident and extending braking points.
    In my experience, they didn't fall off progressively either. One lap, then off the track.
    BMW M140i daily.
    Honda Odyssey.
    FG XR6T ZF - Road registered 410rwkw Circuit car.

Wakefield 1.07.386 (Street Tyres 1.08.8) Marulan Short 43.4 SMP GP 1.48.1 Winton 1.35.4

Quote Originally Posted by nelsonian101 View Post
    What lap times someone does on a particular pad is irrelevant..
    I disagree. My example illustrates a decent lap time can be put down in a street registered car on the QFM A1RMs

Guarantee that 1.08 car would be doing 6's on decent race pad.
    So it did 7's,.... then 8's,.... then were taking out.............hmmm.......
    Agreed. That's what I told the guy doing 1.08s. In our car the PMU Club Racers were 1.5 seconds faster than the A1RMs in a back to back test. But Junior's mate doesn't have the budget to spend an extra $300 to pick up 1.5 seconds on his occasional track days. So the QFMs are good enough for him.

However, if they work for this particular driver with that particular set up, then all good.
    Just be warned, at some point, they will feel like polished glass, usually when you are getting more confident and extending braking points.
    In my experience, they didn't fall off progressively either. One lap, then off the track.
    THanks for the tip, that wasn't our experience with them, but I'll pass on your advice.

All good.

What tyres were being used?
    If the fronts were old street tyres (200 treadwear and over) or heat cycled out semi's, then maybe that is the explanation why the A1RMs were still working.

I understand the restrictions of a budget, but also believe an extra $100 is well worth it when purchasing front pads for both safety and enjoyment levels.
    BMW M140i daily.
    Honda Odyssey.
    FG XR6T ZF - Road registered 410rwkw Circuit car.

Wakefield 1.07.386 (Street Tyres 1.08.8) Marulan Short 43.4 SMP GP 1.48.1 Winton 1.35.4

Quote Originally Posted by CosRat View Post
    Post earlier on says "first track day for the car, not driver. Reasonable good steerer and will be using brakes enough to get up to temp etc etc"

ANyone who spends cheap money on pads if they are a reasonable steerer and done track days before is a fool and creating an unsafe environment for them and potentially other sharing the track with them. Even though they are marketed to 780˚C and on paper a decent ” its yet to see anything to ever back that up
    Fuck you really are a nancy boy I used them lots of times easily did low 7s at Wakefield, Mid 47s OP short
    and low 1.18s OP GP and I will be fucked if I can remember putting anybody else in danger.
    No wonder this country is fucked. Hope you are watching your sugar intake that's a big nanny state
    affair at the moment you fit right in. What a fuckwit. No wonder the rest of the world regard Australia
    as the nanny state ( country ) capital of the western world.
    Last edited by turbosurfer; 23-06-17 at 05:29 PM.
    I told them I once raced cars (total lie ) pissed them right off I will think of something bigger.

turbosurfer

As a newcomer, I am enjoying both the repartee and the depth of knowledge here on PF. I think I'll stay.

Nelsonian, in response to your question, the young fella was running a fairly fresh set of RE003s on his S15.

Glad that you guys got the required info and were able to have a good day out at the track.
    xw Falcon 393 full race cam, NGK spark plugs.

I'm looking for an alternative to the winmax 6.5, its for an excel competing in a 200km enduro. From what is available there seems to be Forza Fr6, club racers and carbotech xp10.

Circo M119 or M127 - although I dont know for what reason why you wouldnt want W6.5's on enduro?

Cosrat I'm disappointed with the performance of the winmax. After two rounds and two sprints the pad looks like it's crumbling.

Looks like? or is?

We probably have 15+ excels and the same number of Pulsars that we have supplied across the country running the W6.5 as well as multiple gravel & Tarmac cars, circuit cars and offroad championship buggies without any failures, Happy to look at it for you though

Quote Originally Posted by Mai View Post
    Cosrat I'm disappointed with the performance of the winmax. After two rounds and two sprints the pad looks like it's crumbling.
    Have you got a photo? The PMU Club Racers get a bit crumbly around the edges of the friction material, the first time noticed was a bit alarming, but we have managed to run them down to the backing plates without any degradation in braking performance.

Looks like, Cosrat I'll take some pics tomorrow, thanks for the offer.

Quote Originally Posted by Sprinkles View Post
    Have you got a photo? The PMU Club Racers get a bit crumbly around the edges of the friction material, the first time noticed was a bit alarming, but we have managed to run them down to the backing plates without any degradation in braking performance.
    Will take one tomorrow. Is that normal then as that's the issue I have. I was concerned if that what happens in short race that it wouldn't last an enduro.

Will take one tomorrow. Is that normal then as that's the issue I have. I was concerned if that what happens in short race that it wouldn't last an enduro.
    Yeah, seems to be normal with the PMUs. Do you know what temperature you get your pads to over a long distance? I would probably go for a harder pad than the Club Racers in an enduro race on a heavy/powerful car, but on an Excel they might be OK. For 10 laps in our Swift, I reckon they are outstandingly good. Have not tried the Winmax, encourage you to take Cosrat up on his offer.

the W65's are rated within their efficiency until 800șC so I'd doubt that an Excel would be pushing that. They were engineered to be a fast rally / circuit compound, Small to medium sized under braked cars.

If you are concerned about enduro capacity, step to the Circo Range. The M207 is not going to be the most effective due to its heat range of 250șC to 920șC but that pad is one of 3 approved pads for V8SC, being used in NASCAR and took out last years 6hr at bathurst in Mostert/Morcom's 335i on one set of pads. M119 is the W65's big brother, and the M127 is the same for W7

Cosrat I don't know what the issue is, could be I'm not generating enough heat it them but this is what the pads look like.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170824_092520.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	2.34 MB 
ID:	101370Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170824_092535.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	1.47 MB 
ID:	101371Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170824_092538.jpg 
Size:	2.23 MB 
ID:	101372Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170824_092859.jpg 
Size:	2.28 MB 
ID:	101373Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170824_092910.jpg 
Size:	1.80 MB 
ID:	101374

Cosrat I don't know what the issue is, could be I'm not generating enough heat it them but this is what the pads look like.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170824_092520.jpg 
Size:	2.34 MB 
ID:	101370Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170824_092535.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	1.47 MB 
ID:	101371Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170824_092538.jpg 
Size:	2.23 MB 
ID:	101372Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170824_092859.jpg 
Size:	2.28 MB 
ID:	101373Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170824_092910.jpg 
Size:	1.80 MB 
ID:	101374
    The crumbling around the edges looks exactly the same as our PMUs. It hasn't been a problem for us, and we've worn out one set, and are half way through the second set after about two years of track days.

Can't comment on the surface glazing though.

Mai, I've sent you a PM, but yer the edges are a little worse than I've seen before, but is nothing compared to some pads we've seen break away like lego bricks. The friction surface doesnt look right though, appears to be some kind of contamination across the face of the friction surface, which looks like to have contributed to the leading and trailing edges crumbling away
    Last edited by CosRat; 24-08-17 at 03:47 PM.

I tried a variety of pads for sprint sessions and found Lucas TRW to be excellent. Need a good heat cycle to bed them in and after that all fade issues I was experiencing at previous outings were gone. This was in a 180sx with GTR front and GTST rear brake setups.

Ive used TRWs once and unfortuately found them to be well horrible.
    No feel, brake pedal was different every time they were applied, didnt stop all that well
    had zero consistency and just completly fell apart well within one sprint day.
    Light years behind A1RMs which are light years behind a decent race pad as we all know.
    On a side note I have never been more than a few 10ths slower or faster on any pads so
    I will be fucked how anybody could be 1.5 seconds faster on good pads. Good pads come
    down to be reliable, confident inspireing dont fade or crumble and slighty better stopping
    power and total consistency lap after lap all day and for more than one day.
    Last edited by turbosurfer; 21-09-17 at 02:05 PM.

turbosurfer

Little engine that could. itsnotagsr's Avatar
    Any deals going on these Winmax pads?
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower." - Mark Donahue Penske Porsche 917

"In Japan we no give fark for Subaru" - Trust Japan Technical Director
    (TM - AVENGE)

"You can never have enough power. I remember when we had Group B cars... THEN we had enough power!"
    Juha Kankkunen - Rally of Argentina '02

Quote Originally Posted by itsnotagsr View Post
    Any deals going on these Winmax pads?
    Give cosrat a pm, he will look after you with winmax.