Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 31 to 39 of 39

Thread: S15 track day pad recommendation

  1. #31
    Registered User THE CHIEF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    107
    He'll be real happy until the rotors have been destroyed.

  2. #32
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    45
    Quote Originally Posted by THE CHIEF View Post
    He'll be real happy until the rotors have been destroyed.
    Yeah, I did see a reasonably quick car on the weekend running A1RMs and it's front rotors looked like they were getting a hard time. Thankfully S15 rotors are cheaper than pads.

  3. #33
    Registered User THE CHIEF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    107
    Quote Originally Posted by Sprinkles View Post
    Yeah, I did see a reasonably quick car on the weekend running A1RMs and it's front rotors looked like they were getting a hard time. Thankfully S15 rotors are cheaper than pads.
    This is true. Good point 👍

  4. #34
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    NZ/NSW
    Posts
    130
    He'll enjoy them when they fall apart and realise they have the feeling of a piece of wood underfoot.

    A mate of ours had 4 piston harrops on his VZ, just an LSX NA, last minute one time before he went to wakefield he realised he needed some pads and was talked into A1RM's by a business known to push them quite actively about the place, and they lasted all of 3 laps before falling apart. they really are a pretty shitful pad compared to whats available out there in the market place today

  5. #35
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Cronulla
    Posts
    1,156
    Cosrat of course there shit but you pay for what you get. We all know there is shitloads
    of brilliant track pads out there but they are not $100. He stated cheap he is new to the
    track he dosent really brake that hard or late they didnt fall apart like they would normally
    and he is happy. I cant see any issues with that.
    I told them I once raced cars (total lie ) pissed them right off I will think of something bigger.

    turbosurfer

  6. #36
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    NZ/NSW
    Posts
    130
    Quote Originally Posted by turbosurfer View Post
    Cosrat of course there shit but you pay for what you get. We all know there is shitloads
    of brilliant track pads out there but they are not $100. He stated cheap he is new to the
    track he dosent really brake that hard or late they didnt fall apart like they would normally
    and he is happy. I cant see any issues with that.
    Post earlier on says "first track day for the car, not driver. Reasonable good steerer and will be using brakes enough to get up to temp etc etc"

    ANyone who spends cheap money on pads if they are a reasonable steerer and done track days before is a fool and creating an unsafe environment for them and potentially other sharing the track with them. Even though they are marketed to 780˚C and on paper a decent its yet to see anything to ever back that up

  7. #37
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    45
    The bloke in the garage next to us was doing 1:08s on the A1RMs, did a 1:07 at the previous day. He had the pads out of it at lunchtime, they looked fine to me.

  8. #38
    Registered User nelsonian101's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    952
    What lap times someone does on a particular pad is irrelevant.
    Guarantee that 1.08 car would be doing 6's on decent race pad.
    So it did 7's,.... then 8's,.... then were taking out.............hmmm.......

    Fact is A1RM offer very poor stopping power when they get to a certain temp.
    Be it one lap on my car's set up or 3 laps on another car.
    Depends on many factors like weight, pad surface area, rotor type, duct set up, and most importantly front tyre width/compound.

    However, if they work for this particular driver with that particular set up, then all good.
    Just be warned, at some point, they will feel like polished glass, usually when you are getting more confident and extending braking points.
    In my experience, they didn't fall off progressively either. One lap, then off the track.
    BMW M140i daily.

    FG XR6T ZF
    Road registered 410rwkw Circuit car.




    Wakefield 1.07.386 (Street Tyres 1.08.8) Marulan Short 43.4 SMP GP 1.48.1 Winton 1.38.3

  9. #39
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    45
    Quote Originally Posted by nelsonian101 View Post
    What lap times someone does on a particular pad is irrelevant..
    I disagree. My example illustrates a decent lap time can be put down in a street registered car on the QFM A1RMs

    Quote Originally Posted by nelsonian101 View Post
    Guarantee that 1.08 car would be doing 6's on decent race pad.
    So it did 7's,.... then 8's,.... then were taking out.............hmmm.......
    .
    Agreed. That's what I told the guy doing 1.08s. In our car the PMU Club Racers were 1.5 seconds faster than the A1RMs in a back to back test. But Junior's mate doesn't have the budget to spend an extra $300 to pick up 1.5 seconds on his occasional track days. So the QFMs are good enough for him.

    Quote Originally Posted by nelsonian101 View Post
    However, if they work for this particular driver with that particular set up, then all good.
    Just be warned, at some point, they will feel like polished glass, usually when you are getting more confident and extending braking points.
    In my experience, they didn't fall off progressively either. One lap, then off the track.
    THanks for the tip, that wasn't our experience with them, but I'll pass on your advice.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •