Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Malaysia GP 2017

Thumbs up Malaysia GP 2017

It's a while off but good time to plan ahead all the same... my first GP and will pad it with a couple of weeks around Malaysia and/or elsewhere. I'll try to maintain a list in this first post of those going etc.
    PF Gamers List

Quote Originally Posted by klampykixx
    if a motor has big enough injectors to run say, 7psi but only just starts to max out right on rev limit, will it run more boost lower in the revs without maxing out if you lower the rev limit?

be interesting to see how big the crowd will be for the last one.

Have you bought tickets yet?

Buy direct from the circuit to save some $$ - depending on exchange rate it's AUD200 for the Main Grandstand.

Nopics and I are flying through KL onto Phuket, back to KL the Wednesday before the F1, then moving on somewhere (undecided) for a week before returning to KL to fly out to AU.

Scored the SYD-KUL return tickets in the AirAsia "Business Class" layflat seats under $1k at their last Mega sale...
    ---
    Shed Project: 1994 Laser Lynx with BP-T

Update from me.... bought main grandstand ticket for $200.42 or something Happy days.

Haven't organised flights yet but minimal rush there. Still considering the itinerary but probably start with the GP and fly in Thursday, get slightly accustomed and then potentially goto Penang and Langkawi thereafter. Total about 2.5 weeks but may trade one of the islands for a run elsewhere, dunno yet. I just thought it best to hit the GP head on then relax as it's half the reason for the damn trip.
    PF Gamers List

if a motor has big enough injectors to run say, 7psi but only just starts to max out right on rev limit, will it run more boost lower in the revs without maxing out if you lower the rev limit?

Thought long and hard and decided against GS tickets. Really all your going to see is cars going by. I went for the first corner. More likely to see overtakes as carnage there.

Will organise a bit closer for me, should be in Jakarta, but just need to make sure I'm not somewhere else.

Will wander into KL Thursday evening and back to Jakarta Monday sometime, so just 2 days off work for me.

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk

So should cart around my DSLR with a big lens? Would be awesome for some Ricciardo shots, but don't feel like lugging that shit around as well.... Hmmmm

I might be starting in Singapore to drop into an office over there for a day or two (hello tax claim on flights), GP where I've booked 4 days in KL initially ('The Face' suites, AirBNB seriously FTW) and then off to the Perhentian Islands for a handful of dives 'just cos'.... and simple life for 4 or 5 days at the same time, bit of a reset. Probably goto Penang thereafter for a week or so. I've a mate joining me for the GP days and we'll see thereafter.
    Last edited by Lonx; 22-06-17 at 09:04 PM.
    PF Gamers List

Screaming banshee
    Quote Originally Posted by MZ21 View Post
    So should cart around my DSLR with a big lens? Would be awesome for some Ricciardo shots, but don't feel like lugging that shit around as well.... Hmmmm
    Of all the GP's I've been to Malaysia is probably the worst for photographers, just not very many good vantage points to get good shots. You'll still get some usable shots from the turn 1 stand but the angle isn't great and if you've got enough decent stuff from other grand prix's and on the fence as to dragging gear I'd probably leave at home.

^^OK, good info.

Anyone booked accom. I have 6 night booked at Renaissance but there are mixed reviews. Trying to keep accom to around $100/night if possible, prefer around Bukit Bintang.

UPDATE: Have booking Park Royal Service Apartment Suite for $654 AUD for 6 nights (Wed-Tue). Seems to get much better reviews.
    Last edited by MZ21; 25-06-17 at 09:15 PM.

starlet gt powerd mini 13secmini's Avatar
    I'm booked, with Air Asia (not good timing with what happened a couple of days ago). In Thursday, out Monday.

Got a group of 4 mates joining me, first time for all of us in Malaysia. We booked a place called "A Best Seri Bukit Ceylon Serviced Residence" 4 stars.

Booked this place as I was told to be near Bukit Bintang for night life, Also they do 4 single beds and a double bed in one apartment. Cost is $400 total for the 4 nights.

Anyone have some things we should definitely do while there? was thinking maybe a go kart track on the Friday morning and some sightseeing in the arvo.
    72 Mini (4EFTE) 13.8@106mph WSID

New Project CB80 Mini

Yep stayed around 6 weeks in the Parkroyal Apartments a few years back - good setup - if you're not too rowdy they'll leave you alone in the rooftop pool all night - it's a short walk to everything and in general I'd stay there again happily (but trying to stay different places/budgets every trip)

If anyone wants super budget the 12Fly in Bukit Bintang is on the street behind Jalan Alor, has small clean rooms - get a balcony room and watch the crazy shit on the street for like $30-40/night for Queen bed - probably only good if travelling solo though as space is premium.

The Sky Hotel Premium rooms can be had for about $50 a night and are large for the price and again it's pretty well located. It's a room big enough to share.

Just make sure when chasing budget accomodation that you choose rooms with windows - although rooms without (but good AC) are fine if you just want to lock up your stuff and crash out at night.
    ---

If you want to do the Twin Towers - you can book the tours online with allocated times. It can be hit-and-miss getting on a tour if you just walk up. You then end up waiting about a lot.

The Bufori factory offers private tours by arrangement

Jalan Alor for the food at least one night.

There's a food court under most malls including one under Lot 10 which has some interesting variety (and pork).
    ---

Booked a double bedroom (both king beds) for a mate and I for Fri - Tue @ 'The Face' suites for $400 total... seemed pretty damn good to me and close enough to Bukit also. Following that I'm looking to goto the Perhentian Islands for diving and then chill out in Penang for a bit before going home. Depending on work, I might fly in via Singapore to visit the office there first and note the flights to the taxman.
    PF Gamers List

Penang is cool, I stayed in an old heritage building in the middle of Georgetown (a couple hundred metres from "Line Clear" if you watch Anthony Bourdain stuff).

Walked through it all, lots of historical stuff, food is solidly awesome, not a bad place to rent a motorbike to explore the whole island etc.
    ---

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    food is solidly awesome, not a bad place to rent a motorbike to explore the whole island etc.
    You already know my plans
    PF Gamers List

Booked our accomodation for the GP "week" - Doing a Club Room at Berjaya Times Square - was stupidly cheap...

Still shit-tons of accomodation available in KL
    ---

Looks like I won't be able to make now, will be running training courses in East Java, but if I can will get there....

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk

Booked flights today with Malaysian Air, $761 return.... not bad. Deciding if I want the extra legroom in the 2 rows they have behind business but segregated from the rest of economy. They're going for an extra $40ish each. Flying in overnight to arrive Friday morning, then off to do some diving on the Tuesday after. Can't bloody wait and trying to T up a change at work to coincide with my return which would be a nice way to start back after a good break.
    PF Gamers List

Scored free legroom upgrade due to IT bug by the look of it... winner!
    PF Gamers List

Quote Originally Posted by Lonx View Post
    Scored free legroom upgrade due to IT bug by the look of it... winner!
    Pfft, flat bed cunt

Pfft, flat bed cunt
    Haha piss off, I'm not that precious.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk
    PF Gamers List

given the the current airport bullshit, will I be anally raped if have three broken phones on me? Have a few with cracked screens and batteries that need replacing. Wanting to get them all fixed on the cheap in KL while i'm there.

given the the current airport bullshit, will I be anally raped if have three broken phones on me? Have a few with cracked screens and batteries that need replacing. Wanting to get them all fixed on the cheap in KL while i'm there.
    I flew domestic Sunday and today and honestly, even at Melbourne today there was only one difference in the checks - they explosives checked some luggage before bag drop/checkin. I had several powerbanks, phone, laptop etc with me, and a colleague had 2 phones, a tablet, a laptop and probably vibrators too. No drama's at all.

1998 MX5 - Ohlins DFV coilovers, Roll bar,15 x7.5 Konig Litespeeds, Mania Intake
    2014 Colorado LT - Oversized Whitegoods. Kid/bike/track hack/horse hauler.

Pfft, flat bed cunt
    This guy

We are doing flatbed $500 each was too good to pass up.

grandstand tickets still available and still cheap!
    ---

Fuck grandstand. I got K1 in the hopes of seeing carnage. Hopefully Ricci will punt Strapon or the FI boys will be at it again.

Csh I was at the corner when Vettel and Weber came togher in 2010 at the Istanbul GP.
    Last edited by MZ21; 28-08-17 at 08:58 PM.

starlet gt powerd mini 13secmini's Avatar
    We are going to try stand F, anyone had experience in this stand? Looks to have a good view of most of the track.
    72 Mini (4EFTE) 13.8@106mph WSID

New Project CB80 Mini

I think I did F last time. Ok but you're a fair way from the track.

8 days to go.

Still but loads of cheap acommodation available.
    ---

I reckon K is going to be a winner.