Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Structural engineer type thing cash job Ipswich

Structural engineer type thing cash job Ipswich

Hi all,

I'm chasing an engineer type person who can design me a shed with underground storage.

I'd like the shed/storage to be 8mx8m, whatever the minimum ceiling height is in Ipswich for the 'basement'.

Afaik the highest walls I'm allowed are 3.6m, which I need because I want to fit a 2 post hoist (~3.8m, which will fit with a pitched roof), I'd like a split roof so the neighbour doesn't have a big wall looming over his yard.

The block is high set and slopes about 800mm in 10m from front to back of the planned site.

Anybody know anyone who would be interested in drawing this up and getting appropriate council approvals?

I've spoken to a couple of people about it and everyone freaks out about water entry and struggle to understand the concept of a two post hoist/purpose of a garage/workshop, so I'm hoping to find a "car guy" willing to do a cash job for me who has a little enthusiasm for the project.

Mspaint is for chumps, find my brilliant hand drawn art below.
    Quote Originally Posted by jmac
    But on seatbelts - I don't think they should be mandatory for adults, but for under 18s. I reckon make them mandatory up till then, and provide plenty of graphic evidence supporting their use to school age children, and then if they hit adulthood and don't choose to wear them, think of the future without these fucken idiots around...

basement need to be soundproof?

I think by virtue of the fact it'll end up being core filled besser bricks and encased in waterproof concrete that will be a consequence regardless

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
    But on seatbelts - I don't think they should be mandatory for adults, but for under 18s. I reckon make them mandatory up till then, and provide plenty of graphic evidence supporting their use to school age children, and then if they hit adulthood and don't choose to wear them, think of the future without these fucken idiots around...

Just so I've got this correct, you want a suspended slab with a hoist over the top?
    xw Falcon 393 full race cam, NGK spark plugs.

Good luck finding someone who'll sign that off for a cashy.
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Rust View Post
    Just so I've got this correct, you want a suspended slab with a hoist over the top?
    Not impossible but will be exxy, not gunna be a cashy engineer job either.

Opens
    Yeah can't see an RPEQ structural engineer wanting to sign anything off as a cashy.

I reckon the budget option is to only have your rape dungeon under the side that doesn't have the hoist.
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Opens
    Or you have posts directly under the hoist uprights to take the weight.

I'd also want to avoid a suspended slab as I can't see that being cheap. Might be able to get away with timber/steel sub floor to take the vehicle rolling weight but it's still going to add up quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by The Pupat View Post
    Or you have posts directly under the hoist uprights to take the weight.
    You need to react the moments - the ~2.5 tonne vertical load is a pretty small part of it.
    It's going to take some pretty decent beams to handle the 8m span, the floor loading and the reactions from the hoist.

Opens
    Quote Originally Posted by Gammaboy View Post
    You need to react the moments - the ~2.5 tonne vertical load is a pretty small part of it.
    It's going to take some pretty decent beams to handle the 8m span, the floor loading and the reactions from the hoist.
    It's a long time since I did statics and mechanics but by putting a post directly under the hoist support (spot load) should negate any moments (caused by the hoist) through the suspended floor wouldn't it since they will be directly reacted by the post, concrete slab under the post will obviously need heavy reinforcing but that's a given. Won't stop the issue of driving heavy cars and other heavy stuff you'd normally do on a shed floor though. I forgot about the 8m span bit, that's no going to happen you'll need a lot of steel posts to even come close to making the cost affordable.

It's a long time since I did statics and mechanics but by putting a post directly under the hoist support (spot load) should negate any moments (caused by the hoist) through the suspended floor wouldn't it since they will be directly reacted by the post, concrete slab under the post will obviously need heavy reinforcing but that's a given. Won't stop the issue of driving heavy cars and other heavy stuff you'd normally do on a shed floor though. I forgot about the 8m span bit, that's no going to happen you'll need a lot of steel posts to even come close to making the cost affordable.
    It's not the moments from the straight vertical load - it's the moments from the posts trying to roll into the middle when loaded, and the moments from the cg of the car not being over the centre, plus moments from hanging off a breaker bar on the front of the car somewhere... The Hoist manufacturer will probably have a recomended footing design for a conventional slab, and a set of moments for less conventional footing design calcs. It's a shit gig trying to transfer those moments into the tops of columns - it would make life easier for the beams in terms of deflections, but the moments will still need a big beam to deal with.

Opens
    It's not the moments from the straight vertical load - it's the moments from the posts trying to roll into the middle when loaded, and the moments from the cg of the car not being over the centre, plus moments from hanging off a breaker bar on the front of the car somewhere... The Hoist manufacturer will probably have a recomended footing design for a conventional slab, and a set of moments for less conventional footing design calcs. It's a shit gig trying to transfer those moments into the tops of columns - it would make life easier for the beams in terms of deflections, but the moments will still need a big beam to deal with.
    Got ya, forgot that the hoist itself will cause more than just a static load on the floor in operation. I'd be giving up on the idea of having a 2 post hoist on a suspended floor.

Got ya, forgot that the hoist itself will cause more than just a static load on the floor in operation. I'd be giving up on the idea of having a 2 post hoist on a suspended floor.
    It can be done - it's just going to be expensive, and more in tune with a commercial building than a residential slab.

Opens
    It can be done - it's just going to be expensive, and more in tune with a commercial building than a residential slab.
    Anything can be done just add time and money. In this case I meant that I can't see any added value being even close to being worth it.

Lots of moments
    xw Falcon 393 full race cam, NGK spark plugs.

Sorry for the shit pic.

This is the floor above my work area, on top of floor is a 2 ton 2 post hoist, from memory floor was certified at 1000kg m2

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170614_080615.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	3.01 MB 
ID:	100105

So now we've established it's going to require a structural engineer to design (well done chaps!!!) does anybody know anybody who has appropriate qualifications?

Clearly I don't expect a slab to be able to span 8m and hold 3t concentrated into 1m2, I expect I'll need a bunch of I beams and support posts, but the size, number and positioning will be up to the engineer.

I understand there are many considerations to take into account designing this thing I want, that's why I need an engineer, one with a little enthusiasm instead of "mate it'll be hard and heaps expensive I can't be fucked".

Quote Originally Posted by Rollin View Post
    So now we've established it's going to require a structural engineer to design (well done chaps!!!) does anybody know anybody who has appropriate qualifications?
    As you want a cashy, prolly best to look down the pub at lunchtime on a friday.

BEHOLD, the $150,000 garage!

Gammaboy - thanks for your helpful input.

Fondles - likewise.

Good luck with your hunt for a RPEQ eng to do a cashy.

If you're serious, someone like Robert Bird would be well placed to do the engineering.

Sigh. It's not a "requirement" that it be a cashy, the requirement is that someone who is even vaguely interested in the project has the capability to design and sign it off.

Was hoping that out of all the talent and intelligence available on this forum there would be someone suitably qualified and enthusiastic so that I could pay them money, instead of just some random guy that needs a 30 slide PowerPoint presentation on "this is a 2 post hoist" before he even turns his computer on.

This is no problem I have a guy in qld that will eat this shit up.

Pm me.

He certs all my mech designs but does residential stuff for people, so no issue. He has all the forms that he fills out for council approval, we just did a council approval for an already constructed room in Mt Isa for a friend that is trying to sell the house.
    Last edited by PLAYA; 15-06-17 at 12:26 PM.
    3D scanning
    3D modelling
    Structural certification
    3 and 5 axis milling

So I spoke to old mate and he thinks it is easy.
    3D scanning
    3D modelling
    Structural certification
    3 and 5 axis milling

Mint! PM incoming

Supraholic
    Keen to see end results for this, I think it's a decent idea.

I'd just run some posts and beams through the floor and use a permanent formwork system like Bondek or Hollowcore, if it's for storage and you set it out decent enough I can't see the columns getting in your way of anything.

Theres no way on my council they would let that happen on a residential block.

Very keen to see the outcome!

I rang the council about 6 months ago to float the idea and they didn't seem to have a problem with it, just said that they'd obviously only be able to approve of deny once they saw the plans, but no rules against digging big holes /as far as the actual guy I spoke to knew/.

ACT gov has no restrictions on basement sizes. You can actually build a much bigger underground garage than you would be allowed to build above ground. I suspect that idiosyncrasy would be ACT only though. From memory Queensland was very difficult with basements on residential blocks, Im surprised BCC didnt immediately shut you down.... but its been a good 9 years since I worked up there.

I'd also want to avoid a suspended slab as I can't see that being cheap. Might be able to get away with timber/steel sub floor to take the vehicle rolling weight but it's still going to add up quickly.
    True that suspended slab is expensive, but the problem is the foundations to carry the retaining walls get exponentially bigger if you dont have the top slab stabilising the top of the walls. Suspended slab on top would still likely work out more expensive, but the total price difference isnt nearly what youd think.
    Last edited by Mr Ed; 28-06-17 at 09:32 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by turbosurfer View Post
    No the
    joke on you guys because your so fucking dumb.
    #WHOTW award winner #blessed #susanalbumparty