Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 91516171819

Thread: Changes regarding goods imports to Aus... GST?

Shipping is usually governed by volume/dimensions for a given item in a database. Always email for a better price. I've found FCPeuro accomodate this.
    Esp after a M6x25 screw was incorrect in their database and cost $200USD to ship.

Summit charge GST at checkout.

I just imported a pile of suspension bits for my 370Z and paid +10% GST to FedEx before they'd deliver ....

Seems GST has to be collected here if not paid at source.

I just bought a $40 part off eBay and had to pay an additional $4 GST. It's coming from China. There were two debits on my bank account, 1 to the seller via PayPal and 1 to the Aus Govt via PayPal. Thanks eBay.

Is there something I'm doing wrong to attract GST?
    Last edited by mrkebabs; 14-06-19 at 06:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BGTV8 View Post
    I just imported a pile of suspension bits for my 370Z and paid +10% GST to FedEx before they'd deliver ....

Not always true. Like I said before I used Fed Ex option with Rock Auto and they never asked for GST on my last 4 orders

This might not work anywhere else, but every time I've bought parts from Xcessive Manufacturing in the US, the shipping options on the website are fucking hideous. I've just emailed them saying there's a problem with the site, and I'm after these bits posted to Aus, and every time they've given me a shipping quote from a company not listed on their online store, usually at 1/3 of the price.

I've thought it might ICE/Carrier related. Wtf is a pile? Over or under 1k AUD?

Received the first of my rockauto orders today, 6 days including the weekend (FedEx)!
    No GST charged. Like that they put the invoice inside the box

Quote Originally Posted by gmx View Post
    I've thought it might ICE/Carrier related. Wtf is a pile? Over or under 1k AUD?
    Heap of USA rod-ends, titanium arms and sundry sh1t

A$3200 to which was added $320GST
    Last edited by BGTV8; 19-06-19 at 06:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shane001 View Post
    Received the first of my rockauto orders today, 6 days including the weekend (FedEx)!
    No GST charged. Like that they put the invoice inside the box
    +1 to rock auto -
    although when I was after a lot of different bits their online webpage showed them coming from 4 different warehouses in the USA -and 4 x individual postage charges (from memory about $120AUD total ).

spent some time searching for equivalent bits (plugs/ ignition leads /dist caps/HEI ignition modules ) that all came from the same warehouse - and viola - 1 single $33AUD postage charge on $250 AUD parts

and no GST malarky-

although I did take the slightly slower USA postal service rather than the fedex - in case FEDEX added the GST

and now I get 5% off my next order .
    Last edited by 9triton; 20-06-19 at 10:24 AM.

Heap of USA rod-ends, titanium arms and sundry sh1t

A$3200 to which was added $320GST
    Yeah, no wonder they fucked you. They would have done you on that in the old days too.
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

9triton, yeah sometimes you have to play around with what parts you order from them to minimise freight. Sometimes splitting the order can also reduce freight significantly.

Got part of my second order today again FedEx no issues. Just waiting on one engine mount (was from different warehouse) then I have a lot of work to do this weekend lol

Was looking for offroad lights in the US and this came up on the KC lights page.

Come here for information throughout the shopping experience to learn more about what to expect when bringing goods into Australia.
    Duties and Taxes
    You can spend up to 1000 AUD and not incur any duty on your order. GST is 10% and due on any order above 1000 AUD.
    The low-value GST law passed July 1st, 2018 does not apply to this retailer.

From what I read of the original legislation or summary thereof, the whole thing is voluntary, the AU Gumby's can't force overseas businesses to collect tax for them. This was more designed to take aim at eBay, Amazon, etc, the bigger retailers, which have local subsidiaries that the gumby can apply pressure to.
    Edit: And of course to appease Harvey and his cronies.

They can't force collect the tax. But can customs hold the items? Like stopping all packages from Amazon til the tax is paid?

Customs won't, but DHL or whomever acts as the agent will hold goods for a number of days.

Oh, and they charge for the loan of money paid to the government to release your goods.

No payment, no way package gets delivered.

I've got some driveshafts on the way from France via TNT.
    Hoping for no import tariff and no GST malarky.
    Sturgeon's Revelation (sometimes referred to as his second law): Ninety percent of everything is CRAP

Quote Originally Posted by smee View Post
    Customs won't, but DHL or whomever acts as the agent will hold goods for a number of days.

Oh, and they charge for the loan of money paid to the government to release your goods.

No payment, no way package gets delivered.

I've got some driveshafts on the way from France via TNT.
    Hoping for no import tariff and no GST malarky.
    Yes for over $1000, no for under $1000.

Under $1000 is charged by the retailer. If it doesn't get charged by the retailer, it just gets delivered.
    Over $1000 is charged by customs, usually through the carrier. If not paid, it doesn't get delivered. This is still as it always has been.

Through the retailer - or the freight forwarder - doubling the fucking costs associated with using the cunts to get an item that has now been discounted locally cheaper.
    This is a post i wrote by mistake, which is nice...