Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes regarding goods imports to Aus... GST?

Wonder if their next effort will be to extend it to luggage brought back from O/S... Undoubtedly it will be, and then it will be even more of a PITA at airports.
    Chris
    ------
    The new nugget
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Quote Originally Posted by takai View Post
    Wonder if their next effort will be to extend it to luggage brought back from O/S... Undoubtedly it will be, and then it will be even more of a PITA at airports.
    They already do that if your stuff is brand new boxed..have to make it look 'used'
    your former friendly cambodian dictator

What a clusterfuck the Government has caused. I often bought stuff on Amazon overseas, they've been extremely useful quite often for me. Amazon saying "nope fuck that us collecting your GST, we'll block the site to Aussies and not send anything from overseas there anymore".

FFS. And Scott Morrison the cunt doing his usual shit about companies not paying their fare share of tax, blah blah. I would actually be happy to use Amazon Australia if it didn't actually suck the wang and if it didn't have about 5 items on there. Jesus.

Quote Originally Posted by Gussy View Post
    I would actually be happy to use Amazon Australia if it didn't actually suck the wang and if it didn't have about 5 items on there. Jesus.
    Hell, I would be happy to use Amazon US and pay the GST too. Especially as it often works out 30-40% cheaper than Aus anyway.

That said, this article seems to say that the Amazon US store will be available through the Aus portal anyway: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-05-3...tralia/9820224

In an email to customers today, the company said from July 1 it would redirect Australian shoppers from its international sites to amazon.com.au where products sold by Amazon US will be available on the new global store. Amazon Global Store will allow Australian customers to shop on amazon.com.au for over 4 million items that were previously only accessible on amazon.com.
    Chris
    ------
    The new nugget
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Yea, they seem to be creating a bit of confusion.

However, the company says it will launch an international platform — the Amazon Global Store — which will offer more than 4 million items that were previously available exclusively on the US website.

Amazon's Australian store contains more than 60 million products.

Remember that Amazon USA has almost 600 million items for sale. Awesome for us.

Simple.

Fuck amazon. Look at other alternatives like Alibaba, eBay etc.

They'll get the hint

And any party that makes it policy to dump this shit will pick up a shit tin of votes.

Scott Morrison you are a fucking cunt.

In Canada, the trip point for adding duty and customs charges is CAD$20 (shipping excluded).

Canada Post is pretty good, and rarely processes it unless it's a really expensive item (I've had $600 RAID systems come through without charge using CanadaPost), but most of the freight companies automatically add a brokerage fee on top of all the government charges. The fee is inconsistent, and it seems to be based on how much they think they can screw you for. I've had items come across the border from the US that were just over the $20 trip point, and one company (from memory it was DHL) added a $60 brokerage/processing charge on top of the duties and GST charges (which together totaled less than $5). I got to the point where I'd ask how items were being shipped, and if they mentioned a freight company that had pulled this crap, then I tell the company why I was canceling my order and going to a competitor.

I've been getting a lot of computer and carburetors for small engines, and I break down the order into less than $20 lots. I'll get a dozen chainsaw carburetors in a dozen separate "free delivery" packages. In many cases, it's worth finding a supplier that doesn't bundle the "free shipping" costs into the price and keeps them separate. I've got a specialty automotive grade PATA interface hard drive coming from England via the mail that's well over the $20 limit, so I'll see if Canada Post lets that one slide.

Next interesting order will be a used OEM alloy wheel coming from the US that's priced at CAD$52 including shipping. Same grade identical part number used wheel is around $200 from any other supplier in the US or Canada by the time duty, tax, and shipping is added, so I can afford a level of rapeage for the brokering charges if it comes to that, but I won't be pleased.

There's pressure being placed on the government to raise the $20 trip point limit fir shipped items, but just like Australia, the retailers are fighting it, and the freight companies are helping them as they don't want to lose the freight (mostly from the US) and the brokerage charges.

Got an new exhaust section from the US, and even with eBay's global shipping charges, it was still 30% less than the best price I could get from any Canadian supplier. Having it delivered to a depot in the US close to the border and going across to pick it up doesn't work well, as there's no duty free allowance if your trip is less than 24 hours. From 24 hours until 72 hours there's a different rare. The full duty free figure doesn't apply until you've been out of Canada for at least 72 hours. There's a big business in organized shopping trips to the US that includes accommodation to get you to at least the 24 hour point, and others that cover the 72 hour option.
    James

Nothing says unprofessional job like wrinkles in duct tape.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Nance (35+ years in US Intelligence)
    Coincidence takes a lot of planning!
    Nova Scotia Lasers - LASER engraving
    1989 Jaguar XJ-S V12
    2008 Chrysler Aspen Limited (mini van on steroids)
    2003 Land Rover Discovery SE7

Amazon.ca pretty much did the same thing to Canada that the Australian version is doing, although you can still get some items from Amazon.com. You'll usually discover that when a company (or Amazon) won't let you order from Amazon.com for delivery to a Canadian address, the identical item from the same US based company is 2 to 3 times higher priced on the Amazon.ca site as it is on the Amazon.com site.

Amazon.com used to be good when they offered a surface shipping option for deliveries to Australia. It made big bundles of heavy items far less costly to ship if you could afford to wait for about 6 weeks. That option disappeared over a decade ago.
    James

1989 Jaguar XJ-S V12

Looks like i'll be shopping for a VPN before the month is up & giving shipito more business.

Just to spite this shitty legislation & Harvey Ballbanger. I am absolutely used to US cheap prices, range & convenience. I will not be going back, or backwards at all. I'm really dissapointed in this getting up & fucking hope that it'll go woeful & be rolled back never to return.

Quote Originally Posted by Synthian View Post
    Looks like i'll be shopping for a VPN before the month is up & giving shipito more business.

Just to spite this shitty legislation & Harvey Ballbanger. I am absolutely used to US cheap prices, range & convenience. I will not be going back, or backwards at all. I'm really dissapointed in this getting up & fucking hope that it'll go woeful & be rolled back never to return.
    Not a hope of it being rolled back. Rolling back legislation by the same party that created it is an admission that they were wrong. If it's a tax increase, the opposition won't roll it back because they can blame the party that brought in the legislation, say that it would be too difficult to undo, and still keep getting whatever pittance in tax it brings in (after all the extra costs involved in paperwork and collection are taken into account).

I worked for the Australian Government for 28 years. I saw them salting the earth behind decisions so there was no chance of the decision being rescinded by later management/politicians.
    James

1989 Jaguar XJ-S V12

I just like the press release two pages back

ATO spokesperson: This change has been made to ensure a level playing field for Australian and overseas businesses.
    Hasn't the guberment been doing their best to shut down manufacturing and innovation in oz? Cunts are just figuring out ways to ruin everything

Quote Originally Posted by Synthian View Post
    I wonder if they'll block Australian credit cards as well? Could make things slightly harder.

Use PayPal?

Quote Originally Posted by tim510 View Post
    Even an annual tally and over that threshold you start paying would be better than EVERY_SINGLE_PACKAGE.
    I could get on board with this... Any individual who wants to receive packages from overseas has to provide AusPost/whoever with their TFN, and sign a waiver allowing them to report package values and country of origin to the ATO. This is a once in a lifetime registration. Would also assist with tracking mysterious silkroad packages etc.

Then everyone individually gets an annual allowance, lets call it $1000 (although it probably should be higher).

When you do your tax return, you get an invoice for ((total value of imported goods)-1000)*10%. If the total amount is under $1000 and less than the amount of your tax return, it gets paid automatically. If it is over $1000 or more than the amount of your return, you get 6 months to pay before interest kicks in.

it would be WAY less overhead (and more enforceable) than having overseas vendors collect and forward GST, collects more tax revenue than the old system, and still gives consumers some upside..
    Quote Originally Posted by myshortyboomba View Post
    I've had many gauges in cars. I always found the conrods react faster than a gauge.

you can always hear them when they break and they stop the engine immediately so you can't do any more damage.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesB View Post
    Not a hope of it being rolled back. Rolling back legislation by the same party that created it is an admission that they were wrong. If it's a tax increase, the opposition won't roll it back because they can blame the party that brought in the legislation, say that it would be too difficult to undo, and still keep getting whatever pittance in tax it brings in (after all the extra costs involved in paperwork and collection are taken into account).

I worked for the Australian Government for 28 years. I saw them salting the earth behind decisions so there was no chance of the decision being rescinded by later management/politicians.
    Urgh, thanks Jerry. My hope is that it is so badly implemented that it costs govco a fortune, which leads to it being canned.

Quote Originally Posted by BreaksMyWallet View Post
    Urgh, thanks Jerry. My hope is that it is so badly implemented that it costs govco a fortune, which leads to it being canned.
    That will never happen. Govco will keep throwing tax payers money at shopmate or whatever the fuck they are calling this scam until it eventually works.

The only way I can see anything changing is that us Aussie customers may end up being the lepers of the online shopping world, where sellers hate dealing with us due to the crap imposed to comply. Whatever happens we'll be worse off for certain

Just logged on to Amazon.com using a US proxy an was able to order goods to shipped to Aus. In fact it worked too well and I ended up ordering an electric shaver, luckily I could cancel the order.

Quote Originally Posted by MZ21 View Post
    Just logged on to Amazon.com using a US proxy an was able to order goods to shipped to Aus. In fact it worked too well and I ended up ordering an electric shaver, luckily I could cancel the order.
    The redirect only happens on July 1

hmm ok, I'll try again in a months time

I think Amazon AU is really really struggling and this is some kind of attempt to boost the AU site adding the GST compliance for them would be a cake walk.

I've been monitoring the market place as some of our competitors list a few products there and the sales are absolutely terrible and their fee's are so high there is no way the market place can ever be competitive.

Just the other day some Amazon rep called me like 3 times in a row before i answered the phone and was desperate to get us to list on there he wouldn't take no for an answer was rather amusing..

Yep, definitely seems convenient for them - seeing as probably not many are using their AU store.
    your former friendly cambodian dictator

Opinionated Cunt perthdrivers.txt's Avatar
    Just heard a HN radio ad which was basically Gerry himself gloating about the new GST rule with the audacity to make out this is a win for consumers

fuck i hate this cunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    I feel that rules are important as without rules there is no cheating and cheating is a vital part of drag racing.
    Quote Originally Posted by elfturbomax View Post
    What has happened to PF? It seems to be diesel love now days. Maybe the name should be changed to Particulate Forums.
    1UZ+1NZ...

Quote Originally Posted by perthdrivers.txt View Post
    Just heard a HN radio ad which was basically Gerry himself gloating about the new GST rule with the audacity to make out this is a win for consumers

fuck i hate this cunt.
    Why hasnt the cunt died yet?

Quote Originally Posted by yohoes View Post
    Why hasnt the cunt died yet?
    Brain dead is close, but unfortunately it now equips him with the same mental capacity as most Aussie pollies.

Years ago when restoring my Mustang I bought a lot of bits from NPD in the US. Looks like I'm still on their mailing list and this morning I got this:

To all of National Parts Depot’s valued Australian Customers:

We regret to inform you that effective 1 July 2018, NPD will be suspending shipments/purchases to Australia for all orders valued at $1,000 AUD or less.

We are rushing through a couple of rear suspension purchases for the big cruiser (totalling ~$610 us) prior to the GST hammer coming down.

Anyone else rush-buying too?

Quote Originally Posted by perthdrivers.txt View Post

fuck i hate this cunt.
    This corporate doublespeak has become apparently acceptable practice in Australia.

Foxtel are masters of it - 'this deal is a win for Aussie sports fans'. After they've just bought the rights to something that was previously free and are now charging for it.

I'm going to buy some slightly unnecessary rear suspension for my AW11 this month from T3. Fortunately I already have everything I need to finish the Valiant, or I'd be spending up big there too.

no mods, leave it stock Jack Nicholson's Avatar
    B̶e̶v̶e̶r̶l̶y̶ ̶H̶i̶l̶l̶s̶,̶ ̶C̶A̶ Baulkham Hills, NSW
    Quote Originally Posted by uuheels View Post
    Years ago when restoring my Mustang I bought a lot of bits from NPD in the US. Looks like I'm still on their mailing list and this morning I got this:
    Well isn't that nice
    Jaguar XJR, Freelander 2 HSE, Jaguar XKR

Quote Originally Posted by Marv View Post
    Look, just because you drive a couple of imported luxo Pommy cars doesn't mean you need to act like an Imperialistic Lapdog and be the last bastion of defence for Straya The Beaut's mid-20th-Century ideals
    Quote Originally Posted by nutttr View Post
    People must assume you are some sort of drug dealer with all these nice cars turning up to a fibro home

yeah, it has begun.....