Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Takata (air bag supplier) files for bankruptcy

Takata (air bag supplier) files for bankruptcy

http://www.drive.com.au/motor-news/t...26-gwylc9.html

The bankruptcy of troubled airbag maker Takata isn't just a crisis for its employees and suppliers. It also throws a wild card into one of the biggest and most complicated recalls in automotive history.

The auto-parts supplier has pledged to recall and replace tens of millions of defective air-bag inflators used by 19 car and truck makers around the world, from Tesla to Toyota. Takata filed on Monday for bankruptcy protection in the US and Japan and announced a takeover by Key Safety Systems for 175 billion yen (A$2.07billion).

The filing to restructure, which listed more than $13 billion in liabilities, doesn't relieve a manufacturer of recall responsibilities. However, should its financial assets be exhausted before all the work is done, carmakers may have to cover the difference.

From my work with toy, maz, mits I'm certain they will all just pay the difference if need be.

Mits will prob go broke doing that though knowing them lol

Interesting times ahead. Only last week got the recall notice for ex nopics 2010 Toyota.

This space left blank Ben Wilson's Avatar
    Nopics Echo needs to go in for a third time. First time, they fitted the wrong part and now they are apparently recalling the replacement one...
    Imagination is more important than knowledge.

Unregistered User Permit Roadsailing's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Wilson View Post
    Nopics Echo needs to go in for a third time. First time, they fitted the wrong part and now they are apparently recalling the replacement one...
    fuck that noise. got a letter for my 2005 corolla months ago and haven't heard shit since, maybe by the time they tell me when to take it in they will have their shit sorted out.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Wilson View Post
    Some manufacturers replaced the faulty ones with newer faulty ones for some strange reason, as a stop-gap until the actual fixed ones were available.

Don't ask me why.
    2003 Toyota ST246W Caldina GT-Four N-Edition
    2001 Nissan NM35 Stagea RS Four V
    1995 Yamaha SRV250 Classic
    1980 Kawasaki KZ750E

Got Stock?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cock Fist View Post
    Some manufacturers replaced the faulty ones with newer faulty ones for some strange reason, as a stop-gap until the actual fixed ones were available.

Don't ask me why.
    probably to be seen to be doing something in case someone had a decent accident while waiting on a solution. e.g. 30% fail after 6 years, 10% fail after 1 year, but it will take 2 years to sort out the shit out, if they are at least changing people over to the newer ones they are reducing their risk by 60+% (all numbers made up).

Quote Originally Posted by Gats View Post
    Interesting times ahead. Only last week got the recall notice for ex nopics 2010 Toyota.
    Same, 2013 300c uses a Takata boobbag from the 2012 batch. Waiting for Chrysler service to fuck my dash so bad it rattles.

This space left blank Ben Wilson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cock Fist View Post

Don't ask me why.
    Yeah, but somehow they didn't find us until way after the initial recall. I'd be guessing that hers would have been one of the last cars done in the first round of replacements...
    Imagination is more important than knowledge.

Registered tax offender SuperDave's Avatar
    I'm surprised Takata lasted this long.
    My car
    Corolla
    Quote Originally Posted by brasher View Post
    I'd have no qualm about punting a kid into the fresh produce section if it meant the difference between getting a set of night vision goggles or not.

Banned
    Isis did it.

Manufacturers will take it up with Takatas Public and Products liability insurance, no?
    Lots of minis & mokes including a G13b powered Sports Sedan, a couple of Swift Gtis, a Goggomobil, Porsche 928S, Polo Gti, BMW 540i, a WRX and a few others.

Quote Originally Posted by thebluerx7 View Post
    From my work with toy, maz, mits I'm certain they will all just pay the difference if need be.

Mits will prob go broke doing that though knowing them lol
    Doesn't Nissan own Mitsubishi now?
    Quote Originally Posted by piss98
    I wish Kochie would get blown out to sea and never found, in fact most of those dumb cunts standing in the rain telling people not to stand in the rain need to get fucked. Stupid tart on the news last night talking to the weather guy "wow you look totally drenched there whateverthefuckhisnamewas." No shit you vapid bitch he is standing in a fucking cyclone.

Former hairdresser Captain_Slow's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 2rismo View Post
    Doesn't Nissan own Mitsubishi now?
    Yes.

the interim recall would be because the reason the airbags are failing is the chemicals used to inflate the airbag are unstable and degrade over time and that's what makes them dangerous, so a new faulty one is safer than an old faulty one

Toyota must have read my post, just got a registered post 3rd recall letter (no idea what happened to the second) so time to find my closest dealer and get some rattles installed in the dash.

Actually I just checked the first notice, they've sent me letters for two recall campaigns, driver and passenger airbags, better give me a holler. Didn't know my car had a passenger airbag.

EDIT: just to continue the CSH the passenger airbag recall apparently started ages ago, driver's airbag replacement parts should be available september - december.
    Last edited by Roadsailing; 27-06-17 at 11:23 AM.

My triton and no pics Pajero have both been recalled for airbags, was a 6 month wait at time I called up about it. Still waiting and by sounds of it be waiting longer
    Quote Originally Posted by Faux Forg View Post
    I agree with Rdyno

Quote Originally Posted by SirGoat View Post
    probably to be seen to be doing something in case someone had a decent accident while waiting on a solution. e.g. 30% fail after 6 years, 10% fail after 1 year, but it will take 2 years to sort out the shit out, if they are at least changing people over to the newer ones they are reducing their risk by 60+% (all numbers made up).
    Nah, just they used the wrong propellant wafer shit in the inflator. It's in the service bulletin. Toyota def don't do shit twice , it's hard enough getting paid once ..

I checked today and I'm told Mazda is already paying their own way on the recall for inflators.

Takata ain't going anywhere. Millions of parts to make , manufacturers obligated to pay them to make the inflators cos they have no choice .

I always assume the smartest execs at Takata will somehow get rich off all this " business" then shut the company once it's all over with.

The warranty price on them is only $40-$70 ex gst, some are 100-200 though.

I imagine it prob costs takata 18 cents to make one but normally they would have to do this for free but because it's such a big problem they are getting paid again so it's win win lol.

It would be really interesting to know the specifics of the costs in the supply chain all the way from takata to a customers car.

Keep in mind the brands also have thousands of these fuckers being returned to them at head offices which they have to pay to deploy before disposal aswell . More money outgoing ....

Quote Originally Posted by Milkman Don View Post
    My triton and no pics Pajero have both been recalled for airbags, was a 6 month wait at time I called up about it. Still waiting and by sounds of it be waiting longer
    Your dealer prob fucked your order up. Our goons fuck orders up or fail to follow up all the time.

We have done pajeros by the cubic dick load .

Your dealer prob fucked your order up. Our goons fuck orders up or fail to follow up all the time.

We have done pajeros by the cubic dick load .
    They seem to give no fucks about the airbags but have sent a thousand correspondences regarding potential faulty indicator stalk. They want the car for a day with no courtesy car too, a nigwah don't have time for dat
    Quote Originally Posted by Faux Forg View Post
    I agree with Rdyno

Is this the same brand that make the green race harnesses? Or just same name?

Quote Originally Posted by Milkman Don View Post
    They seem to give no fucks about the airbags but have sent a thousand correspondences regarding potential faulty indicator stalk. They want the car for a day with no courtesy car too, a nigwah don't have time for dat
    Tell your dealer to stop being a shitwhore.

The Pajero indicator recall is like 0.4hrs and they need it for a day??

We are starting to see Pajero coming back with headlights that go off in the night when set to auto after the recall anyway and have been doing authorities to replace switches.

Quote Originally Posted by yohoes View Post
    Is this the same brand that make the green race harnesses? Or just same name?
    Same company

http://www.takata.com/en/products/

"The issue involves defective inflator and propellent devices that may deploy improperly in the event of a crash, shooting metal fragments into vehicle occupants. Approximately 42 million vehicles are potentially affected in the United States, and at least 7 million have been recalled worldwide."

An investigation into a car accident that left a young woman seriously injured has revealed she is the first Australian casualty of a faulty Takata airbag, a product currently part of the largest recall in automotive history.

The 21-year-old woman was involved in an accident in Darwin on 24 April. Her defective airbag malfunctioned when it deployed, projecting a fragment of metal into her head, says Police Sergeant Mark Casey of the Major Crash Investigation Unit.

"This type of crash, in normal circumstances, would not have caused this level of injury.

"Investigations have revealed the vehicle was the subject of a worldwide recall for faulty airbag manufacture in 2015," says Sergeant Casey.

Takata airbags have contributed to 17 confirmed deaths worldwide and have injured an estimated 160 people.
    Last edited by rj_astra; 30-06-17 at 10:37 AM.

I find that hard to believe .^^^^

So the accident large enough to reply the airbag didn't affect her, nor the impact from the airbag itself.

Purely the airbag fragment itself did the damage????

Also it says seriously injured , then first Aus casualty ? Did she die?

got mine done today, there is no passenger airbag (thanks toyota SA!) and the driver's airbag wasn't affected which was good as the service dude said they wouldn't be able to order a replacement until they inspected it. Also he used the term "shotgun" to describe the failure mode which surprised me. 10/10 will buy a secondhand corolla again.

Damn, I'll have to take my 458 back in yet again

Nah, just they used the wrong propellant wafer shit in the inflator. It's in the service bulletin. Toyota def don't do shit twice , it's hard enough getting paid once ..

I checked today and I'm told Mazda is already paying their own way on the recall for inflators.

Takata ain't going anywhere. Millions of parts to make , manufacturers obligated to pay them to make the inflators cos they have no choice .

I always assume the smartest execs at Takata will somehow get rich off all this " business" then shut the company once it's all over with.

The warranty price on them is only $40-$70 ex gst, some are 100-200 though.

I imagine it prob costs takata 18 cents to make one but normally they would have to do this for free but because it's such a big problem they are getting paid again so it's win win lol.

It would be really interesting to know the specifics of the costs in the supply chain all the way from takata to a customers car.

Keep in mind the brands also have thousands of these fuckers being returned to them at head offices which they have to pay to deploy before disposal aswell . More money outgoing ....
    Except that no car company is probably going to bother dealing with them again. Be surprised if they haven't been de-sourced by a large portion of the industry for new models. Key Safety Systems must have some very deep pockets and their $2.01b takeover bid must have been a relative bargain as one assumes they see more than just asset value in the company.
    Daily - VF SV6. Former daily, now with more up on blocks - S15 200SX. Weekends - 149 EH Holden Special. Project - EH Premier. More schizo than ever!

This is a fucking drama with grey imports. ACCC points finger at importer/compliancer. Importer (if they're still in business) points finger at Australian office of Japanese manufacturer. Manufacturer points finger at importer. I still don't have formal confirmation that my vehicle is/isn't affected, however my own inquiries with the Japanese manufacturer says it is. I know, imports are a risk. I'm happy to pay out of my own pocket to not be shot in face by an airbag shotgun, but no-one can sell me a replacement airbag!