Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hyundai Excel - Not a sports sedan

Hyundai Excel - Not a sports sedan

Its more of a sport hatch really

So bit of a back story here, in 2015 one of my best mates passed away (RIP Ryan), he was right into the excels as his dad ran a sizable team that had achieved some seriously good results at state and national level. I had been talking about going out for a steer for ages before 2015 but never really got around to it.

When Ryan passed it gave me a bit of motivation to get involved in something he really had a ball doing so I teed up some seat time in a buzzbox on a day where I was testing the evo

To be brutally honest, it was doing laps in a hyundai excel, basically going through the motions...I thought id give it another crack on an actual race weekend and see how I go, I had most of the gear needed to go door to door already so the cost wasnt too extravagant, I upgraded my CAMS license and then had a go at round 4 of the state championships

It was one of the best decisions id ever made, practise vs race day...incomparable and it was an absolute blast, right there I was fucking hooked, I actually put the evo up for sale about 2 weeks after knowing that I wouldn't ever want to race again a stop watch again.

Even managed to have my first crash stack into someone else during race 2

Didnt take any before shots but it wasnt that bad that we couldnt fix it in half an hour trackside!

The damage was mostly cosmetic so over the christmas break we sorted out some new used panels and lights for ol bessie and had it ready for a new wrap...some liberal use of a hammer may have taken place

I knew I was going to miss round one due to a holiday so I lent the car to another PRT team member to borrow while his new car was being built, unfortunately the 223,000km motor finally gave up the ghost, so a new $250 wrecker motor was slotted in its place for me to drive at round 2

It also scored a nice new wrap to promote round 3 this year which is the Ryan Pannowhich Memorial Trophy round, I had them add some of my own touches to the design as well

Round two I had a ball, first time on new tyres so it was good to get another 60 laps under the belt and I am finally ready to start taking this a little bit more seriously so i lashed out and spent some money on the car

Its a very basic low level setup with older cieka coilovers and small wheels so ive got some 15x7 BBS wheels sitting at home and a bigger whiteline rear swaybar for it, its also at 1045kg with driver and enough fuel to roll through the pits (surging on the last 4 laps of that race lol) so a diet is also on the cards, it still has deadener, half of the aircon, heater box, and a stereo so I should be able to get 35-40kg's out of it pretty easily before I start getting liberal with a holesaw.

Anyway this is my excel, its cheap and slow but more fun than racing a stopwatch
    Last edited by MR 1JZ; 10-07-17 at 01:04 PM.
    www.vapeboss.com.au - big discounts for PF Cunts, PM me for a code

Photobucket hates you.
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Money saved by racing excel to go towards premium photobucket subscription?

Wannabe internet expert
    If you don't want to pay, try uploading the pics to another hosting site, such as Imgur.
    Last edited by Rthirty1; 10-07-17 at 11:58 AM.

lol photobucket, provide the worst service out of all photo sharing options and now they want money

Give me five minutes ill fix this

Quote Originally Posted by MR 1JZ View Post

Wait until you see the new livery for round 4 hah!

Wannabe internet expert
    lol @ the vapeboss sticker. Might have to buy one of these little jiggers for some door to door action. Do you own the car or is it part of a team?

Car has been given to me to develop, race, enjoy. I said when I am no longer having fun in it (taking it too seriously) I will hand it back. I cant see that happening in the near future

Registered User bigshipengine.jpg's Avatar
    Good shit.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    It Places the lotion in the basket!

Needs more videos punting old man slade... I am looking forward to the new round 4 livery

Registered User schnitzelburger's Avatar
    thats tops matt and cool trailer too.
    Turbo NB MX5: more derp less carbon lightyear clone
    Supra sold it: 1983 MA61 Supra - 2JZ-GTE + 6spd

ohsdocs.com.au Safe Work Method Statements and other OH&S paperwork for builders and tradies, PF members PM me I'll do you a good deal.

Sweet. Cheaper maintenance & running costs, racing door to door and regular race meets are wins.

Doesn't read as such, but do you miss/regret selling the Evo RS?

Quote Originally Posted by Andy San View Post
    Needs more videos punting old man slade... I am looking forward to the new round 4 livery
    I refuse to put a camera in my car until I am off my provisional license...its the first thing the stewards ask for in the event of a "racing incident"

Quote Originally Posted by Rascasse View Post
    Sweet. Cheaper maintenance & running costs, racing door to door and regular race meets are wins.

Doesn't read as such, but do you miss/regret selling the Evo RS?
    To put it in perspective...I had to buy tyres and brake pads before the last event...I didnt end up needing the brake pads but will need to fit them now...cost me $900 and im good for 2 race meetings and a test day thats 120-140 laps total

One single A050 for the evo was $600

I have no regrets selling the evo at all...id turned it into a crap street car and a track car full of compromises

excellent
    funny one liner here / link to my car/s

Sorry to hear about your mate

I have recently started door to door racing in the Cheap Car Challenge at Marulan, most fun ever. Door to door has so much more going on that just a track day/timed runs.

So what's the deal? Purchase a sexcel, gut it, smash a CAMS approved Cage/seat/harness combo in and go racing?
    Excellent!

Beautiful presentation..... it looks too good to race!

Dumb question here: Is that paint or vinyl wrap?

I hear you about racing and the stop watch its a whole different world and the family can get involved.
    Im trying to do the same thing if I can get the minister of finaces & war onboard about buying Fatboys
    Pulsar. I think it will be cheaper to race one 4 times a year than running my evo at supersprints it
    so heavy on tyres ,brakes and general up keep its crazy just for a lap time.
    I remember back when in qualifying I just wasnt into it and was very average and then when I raced
    I was at lest a second faster just because I was into it. Im fully aware that the Pulsar wont be anywhere
    near as quick as the evo but its all relevant to the capabilities of the car on edge and 20 other nutters.
    That sucks about your friend.
    Last edited by turbosurfer; 10-07-17 at 06:39 PM.
    I told them I once raced cars (total lie ) pissed them right off I will think of something bigger.

turbosurfer

I am keen to try one of these cars. Maybe if I sell the GTI I could buy one.
    NA8B 89KW- P.I. 1:50.1, WNTN1:38.0, SDWN 1:27.6, WKFLD 1:10.4
    NB8B 181KW- P.I 1:43.8, WNTN 1:32.9, SDWN 1:22.0, BDFD 1:05.3
    VP 293KW- P.I 1:46.0 WNTN 1:33.5

Thanks for the comments about Ryan lads...Dont be sad though, it took me a long time to deal with the fact that he wouldn't like that he would much rather people have fun in his memory which is what I try to do.

Sprinkles: Its a wrap mate, HEAPS easier to wrap a quarter panel/door/bumper than it is to paint one! Especially if you already have sponsors stickers there

EJ DUDE: Thats basically it mate, there are a bunch of rules designed to keep people with big budgets coming in and ruining the party, that said the front running guys are now equipped with blueprinted built motors, supashocks and a few other little tricks, im happy just bashing around with a pack of dudes I know at the moment, id be absolutely stoked if I could get this car into the top 10 somewhere but ive gotta make up some ground, im hoping a diet and some cheap setup changes will get me there, my driving needs work however, I am still yet to get my head around door to door fully and ive never raced a car this slow lol.

Lightyear: Do it, there is a reason its one of the biggest fields in Australia!

I mean gona look into smoothing like this in WA, Sounds excellent.

Who thenfuck blueprints a hoondi motor?

I'm here to suggest this needs to be turned into a sports sedan.

Wannabe internet expert
    I was talking to a guy who races these. From memory he said that his first car was just slapped together on a shoestring budget but he was still able to come second in the championship.

The toss up is between these and the Pulsars. I feel like I would rather spend my money on building a Pulsar, but then the Excels seem to be considerably cheaper and it also seems like a more established series. Other bonus of the Excels is that zero fucks are to be given when you gut them out for racing and there's no sense that you should baby them.

Quote Originally Posted by EJ DUDE View Post
    I mean gona look into smoothing like this in WA, Sounds excellent.

Who thenfuck blueprints a hoondi motor?
    People that want to stay at the pointy end of the championship, when the whole field has between 65 and 59 kw at the wheels that extra 2 or 3 KW can make all the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Rthirty1 View Post
    I was talking to a guy who races these. From memory he said that his first car was just slapped together on a shoestring budget but he was still able to come second in the championship.

The toss up is between these and the Pulsars. I feel like I would rather spend my money on building a Pulsar, but then the Excels seem to be considerably cheaper and it also seems like a more established series. Other bonus of the Excels is that zero fucks are to be given when you gut them out for racing and there's no sense that you should baby them.
    Someone tried to get a bunch of pulsars off the ground here in SA, I dont think there is room for 2 budget championships to be honest, cost is a huge factor when comparing pulsars to excels, just about everything on the pulsars costs about double, SR20s/R888's etc.

Not to say it wont happen but it will need some serious commitment from a large bunch of guys with cash and cars, you really need 20 cars built and ready to go to get a 12 car field which is the minimum to keep it interesting. I do know they are big in other states though.

As an APRA (Pulsar) racer I can tell you that both categories are a fuckload of fun ! The Pulsars are a bit more expensive and considerably quicker (about 5 or 6 secs a lap around Wakefield) but when you are surrounded by 30 other maniacs in identical equipment no-one gives a fuck whether you're in an Excel or a Pulsar - it's on !

NSW is the only one with huge grids in Pulsars, Victoria is growing (a couple of new builds and two Sydney cars sold to Mexicans in the last few weeks) so they'll get bigger - but Excels are huge down there. QLD and SA seem to get big numbers of Excels too.

Great to hear you're enjoying it MR 1JZ - it's good fun huh ?

P.S - Sorry to hear about your mate too. That blows...

Yeh so I've enquires about entereing next year s WA series and looking at excels to buy.
    My son was born 5 days ago so my wife is less than impressed.......
    Fuck it, you've sold it to me.

Registered User bigshipengine.jpg's Avatar
    Father son project! Your just being a good Dad!

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    It Places the lotion in the basket!