Thread: School me on all terrains - 265/70/R16

School me on all terrains - 265/70/R16

I do 35,000 klms a year but want AT's for off road fun, what's the hotness.

Got quotes so far for Coopers, Mickey T's and Toyo's.......all about $280 each.

Thanks,

JT
    1970 RX2 coupe, 13b turbo.
    1973 Cortina, 5.0 Windsor
    1974 808 sedan, 12a Bridgeport
    1976 Datsun 260c Coupe

I've got a 1968 XT Falcon.........!

Thats unusual size , what sort of car is it ? I think new Navara might be using this size , going to 265/75/16 will offer better choice. I like Duratracs but you are not going to go far wrong with any of the ones mentioned. You can add KO2s to your list and Nittos seem popular lately as well.

Yeah, just found KO2's in 75 series for $290 online.

Will probably jump on those.
    1976 Datsun 260c Coupe

As said go up to a 265/75R16 for a lot more options.

I had the KO's, done 100,000km on them no issues, did start to go hard at the end, but that's to be expected. Handle well in all conditions, minus sloppy clay, but what can you expect. It seemed a no brainer to buy the KO2's, but seeing so many for sale second hand with 5000kms or less I done more research, the general review was they were terrible in the wet. Everyone I asked who had them said the same thing, the only positive reviews I heard were "They are a lot of fun on the road in the wet" which I figured meant shit in the wet again.
    I ended up buying the Toyo ATII's for marginally cheaper, only done 6000km on them so far, but road, gravel and paddocks they've handled just as good if not better than my KO's. A mate has them on his Nav for 40,000km and is still happy with them. Hoping I can see another 100 from mine.

I'm interested in this too. From my bulk drunken internet research I'm leaning towards Yokohama Geolander ATS for my next set. I currently have Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armour in 265/75R16 and they have been super decent in every way.

The Geolander looks to be less aggressive than other ATs, although they probably work just as well in most conditions.

Geolander's are great all round tyre. ok everywhere. Shit if you compare them to a tyre designed for a specific use.

They give mad screeching noises if you try have fun on them on normal road.

Ended up going with Nitto Grapplers - 265/75 R16

Got them for $267 each + they were offering buy 3 get 1 free!

Drive nice and quiet and grip better than stock on bitumen.

Will give them a run in the dirt soon enough.
    1976 Datsun 260c Coupe

Use highway terrains.

I just proved again last weekend on every single track all the MT/AT guys went, that they go everywhere an all terrain goes. Yet are quieter, weigh less, return better economy, and stop/steer significantly better.

I'm convinced aside from super heavy sidewall/carcass LT AT's (stake resistance) that nothing beats a highway terrain and 4x4 tyres are a complete false economy. Stupid high rpm mud slinging out clay with heavy treadblock mud tyres would be the exception for the 1 time in 10 years they're ever really needed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bosshoggett View Post
    If your planing to drive this on the road and enjoy it, id suggest a second opinion, someone with a history in Australian Rally or Fink River . If your just playing dyno comps. Then ok

Quote Originally Posted by cracka View Post
    Use highway terrains.

I just proved again last weekend on every single track all the MT/AT guys went, that they go everywhere an all terrain goes. Yet are quieter, weigh less, return better economy, and stop/steer significantly better.

I'm convinced aside from super heavy sidewall/carcass LT AT's (stake resistance) that nothing beats a highway terrain and 4x4 tyres are a complete false economy. Stupid high rpm mud slinging out clay with heavy treadblock mud tyres would be the exception for the 1 time in 10 years they're ever really needed.
    Vague statement is vague.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Tow car/camping bus: 2011 D40 Navara ST

Baby mobile: 2016 Nissan Qashqai

75 Mini Clubman club racer - DCOE powah

Use highway terrains.

and by tracks, you mean dirt roads right?

yes, HT's stake really fucking easily, and any sort of decent wet uphill track will stop a set of HT's, locked diffs or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rdyno
    70ynu has to be the most retarded cunt here. "Help me please" me "you need to remove your head" him "fuck off cunt I'm to lazy fuck off out of my thread you told me to do something I don't want to do so you're a cunt fuck off can some one please tell me an easier way???"
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripper
    Its a tight battle between you and rogercordia for the most retarded member on here, thou i think you have it by 5 window licks

Use highway terrains.

People do generally over tyre in Australia, especially for beachwork but i've done the same tracks on highway and on AT and heavy duty hybrid in the same car and in similar conditions there is a corresponding increase in grip.

What i don't get is why people buy fucking snow based all terrains like KO2. Unless you like to drive in the snow of course..
    Last edited by MartyHusseinXF; 20-07-17 at 09:51 PM.
    Parramatta Eels, 2009 Premiership rightful winners.

Yeah. I parked on the nature strip.

Definitely didnt do all do all of the AUS4 course at Janowen (excepting the stupid cunt track the buggies with 40" rags couldn't get up/down, or the two massive rutted tracks I didn't feel comfortable with given I like unscratched paint)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bosshoggett View Post
    If your planing to drive this on the road and enjoy it, id suggest a second opinion, someone with a history in Australian Rally or Fink River . If your just playing dyno comps. Then ok

Two sets of wheels is the go. HT's are without doubt the best way to go for the daily grind in terms of being quiet and comfortable but I wouldn't run my daily rubber off road.

Just grab a spare set of wheels and chuck on a set of AT's or MT's for the few times a year you need to bash about off the blacktop.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimi View Post
    80mm of penetration isn't bad, i wish i had that much.
    Quote Originally Posted by schnitzelburger View Post
    My entire working career pretty much consists of suckin dick and takin names.

Sometimes im too busy to take names.

Quote Originally Posted by MRMOPARMAN View Post
    and by tracks, you mean dirt roads right?

yes, HT's stake really fucking easily, and any sort of decent wet uphill track will stop a set of HT's, locked diffs or not.
    You know that HTs can be either passenger rated or light truck rated? Not to mention the definition of HT is pretty broad, ie the OE fit Geolanders on a Subaru are passenger tyres with a slightly more aggressive appearence yet the Geolander HT-S are LT tyres which work fairly well on loose gravel, I used them on my Voyager because I specifically wanted LT tyres on the thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Sketchy View Post
    Two sets of wheels is the go. HT's are without doubt the best way to go for the daily grind in terms of being quiet and comfortable but I wouldn't run my daily rubber off road.

Just grab a spare set of wheels and chuck on a set of AT's or MT's for the few times a year you need to bash about off the blacktop.
    Yep, regardless of what the next car is, Outback, Pajero or Sorrento, it'll be running HTs normally and a set of ATs on steelies. If I get a Pajero it might even end up with some muddies.

Quote Originally Posted by PSi13L View Post
    Ended up going with Nitto Grapplers - 265/75 R16

Got them for $267 each + they were offering buy 3 get 1 free!

Drive nice and quiet and grip better than stock on bitumen.

Will give them a run in the dirt soon enough.
    they are a great tyre

fwiw i run the nitto m/t's on my daily driven patrol. they make a little extra noise than the original h/t's, but it's not noticeable and definitely not annoying. below 80kph you can't even tell, it's only at highway speeds and when you wind up the window you can't hear them. they grip better in the rain than the h/t's did and the only negatives compared to the old h/t's are the extra size/weight of 33"s on steelies vs 31"s on alloys. about the only thing that sucks about the m/t tyres is the car chews up the sand a bit more on the beach.

Bridgestone 697 LT's

They're the best mix of everything.

^ Just got a set in 265/70/R16 for $200ea. Couldn't be happier.

Quote Originally Posted by MartyHusseinXF View Post
    People do generally over tyre in Australia, especially for beachwork but i've done the same tracks on highway and on AT and heavy duty hybrid in the same car and in similar conditions there is a corresponding increase in grip.

What i don't get is why people buy fucking snow based all terrains like KO2. Unless you like to drive in the snow of course..
    Although I am not a BFG fanboi i do get why people buy KO2's:
    Puncture resistance
    Sidewall grip for rock
    They are great in sand
    Last a long time
    Look agressive
    and drive like a HT on-road

I have HT's on my rig and do go everywhere guys with aggressive profiles go, but I have had my fair share of punctures and cuts and that's on a very light puncture resistant car. Not to mention there would be an increase in grip on certain terrain if I had a more aggressive profile.
    Quote Originally Posted by Babalouie View Post
    Geez we're a bunch of softcocks...we have a 911 and we're obsessing over non-functional ducts and indicator colours

sexy fingers
    whatever you do dont buy coopers. STT especially. old man had their AT's on his old as fuck rodeo thing did some rediculous milage like 140,000

mine have been the worst boots ever. blowing them off the rims, cutting sidewalls, shit stuck in beads etc.

not to mention the constant shit taking from other cunts with actual tyres.

nittos seem to be real good, mate has them on a heavy as fuck GU TD42 and the wear is impressive, will grab a set of trail grapplers when ive skidded off the coopers.
    Last edited by SuperHoon; 17-08-17 at 08:08 PM.
    GU Patrol L98, Manualised Auto, 35s, Kings etc
    VF2 Redline Ute
    E36 Track Nugget Project

'98 Honda XR600R / '00 Kawasaki ZX-12R / '08 Honda CRF450R Supermoto / '09 KTM RC8R / '10 KTM RC8R (Broken Frame)

I'm rolling on Nitto Terra Grapplers 285/50/20. Ran them at 25 in sand and was awesome.
    xw Falcon 393 full race cam, NGK spark plugs.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperHoon View Post
    whatever you do dont buy coopers. STT especially. old man had their AT's on his old as fuck rodeo thing did some rediculous milage like 140,000

mine have been the worst boots ever. blowing them off the rims, cutting sidewalls, shit stuck in beads etc.
    That's good mileage sounds like a terrible tire.

Blowing them off rims seems like a driving style/ pressure issue. I have poped 4-5 beads on my bridgestones, not once was it the tires fault. Cutting sidewalls, well did you get a puncture or was it just a driver error/ unavoidable cut because of terrain? Shit stuck in beads is also a pressure issue.

TBH STT's are a good affordable tire and it only seems to be Australian that rag on them and normally it's in the middle of a coopers rant.

Coopers Pale Ale FTW.
    xw Falcon 393 full race cam, NGK spark plugs.