gu8 CRD patrol vs 2005 100 series 4.2td Cruise

Weighing up between both.

Pros of gu8:
    Newer low kms
    Live axel front and rear
    Patrol aftermarket is plentiful
    Strong Drive train

Cons:
    CRD 3 litre 4 banger carrying 3 tonnes it averages 15-16l/100km even with manual
    I heard aircon is shit due to condenser not having an extra fan (can be easily installed)
    Im sure patrol build quality there will be quirky things like earlier gu had grenades and wheel death wobble issues

Pros of 100 series:
    1hdfte 4.2 diesel is legendary
    Good on fuel
    Toyota build quality
    resale value is insanely good

Cons:
    around mid 30s Im still looking at over 200 000kms and a 2005ish model car
    age by then
    IFS front which isn't so much the issue for me but been told they have weak diffs
    I probably missed something like 1hdfte had bearing issues or something?

budget is around mid 30s

I have 4 kids so probably need the large 4x4

Someone told me to go find the extra cash and go get a used 2008 or higher 200series for around high 40s
    even at 200 000kms its newer and built really well.

What do you guys think?/recommend?

Please no Landrovers okay, I don't want to turn into a full time mechanic lol

Could get a converted 105-fte for around 30-35k? Thats also getting close to a used vdj wagon or dual cab but obviously much lower rent interior and nvh.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by da9jeff; 19-07-17 at 04:12 PM.
    Tow car/camping bus: 2011 D40 Navara ST

Baby mobile: 2016 Nissan Qashqai

75 Mini Clubman club racer - DCOE powah

Put 1hdtfte in patrol, Then you can make 1000nm and have live axles.

I'd go the 4.2 Cruiser out of those choices. No grenade anxiety (CRDs just do it with less regularity). Much smoother engine. I doubt they're better on fuel though. If you're not doing crazy stuff, I can't imagine the front diff will be a problem.

4.2 Patrols are in your budget too, but slow as hell stock.
    Patrol wobbles are a real thing. The sure-fire recipe to get them is anything from 2" lift an up, neg offset wheels and big tyres. Keep them under 32" on stock +10 offsets, and 1" lift above standard height and they'll go anywhere you need to, while keeping the front end in its happy place.
    The 4.8 Petrol will do 16l/100km on the highway FWIW. 22 around town but (auto). But they're smooth and very grunty to make up for it.

The LC all day bro! The patrols are weapons off road, but for a family rig, thta needs to tow and occasional offroad, then you cant go past the LC.

Friend has a IFS 100 V8, and it goes most places I go....most haha. Would be alot better with a rear locker.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Property Guru
    don't haemophrodites generally have tiny wangs?
    Quote Originally Posted by oxy View Post
    No, that's asians
    A80 Supra
    80 Landcruiser

Quote Originally Posted by kedderz View Post
    Driven one with exhaust. Insane. like 300kw and 560nm from factory.

I wonder what the fuel consumption would be though

Quote Originally Posted by MR-PUNANNY View Post
    The LC all day bro! The patrols are weapons off road, but for a family rig, thta needs to tow and occasional offroad, then you cant go past the LC.

Friend has a IFS 100 V8, and it goes most places I go....most haha. Would be alot better with a rear locker.

Yeah I hear ya. After sitting in an LC they are so fucken roomy ... Like seriously comfortable.
    I can only imagine how nice a 200 series would be when I have only been in a 100 series.

200 000kms or more wouldnt bother you in a toyota diesel?

Just kinda alot of money to fork out for those kms. I guess any 4x4 is more rock solid than you average 200 000km car?

Quote Originally Posted by hrd View Post
    I'd go the 4.2 Cruiser out of those choices. No grenade anxiety (CRDs just do it with less regularity). Much smoother engine. I doubt they're better on fuel though. If you're not doing crazy stuff, I can't imagine the front diff will be a problem.

4.2 Patrols are in your budget too, but slow as hell stock.
    Patrol wobbles are a real thing. The sure-fire recipe to get them is anything from 2" lift an up, neg offset wheels and big tyres. Keep them under 32" on stock +10 offsets, and 1" lift above standard height and they'll go anywhere you need to, while keeping the front end in its happy place.
    The 4.8 Petrol will do 16l/100km on the highway FWIW. 22 around town but (auto). But they're smooth and very grunty to make up for it.

Ahh forgot about the 4.2 patrols. I heard they are bullet proof too. Just slight overheating if not maintained well.
    Will look into it

Thanks for the other insightful info too

Crucify me for saying it but an auto diesel Pajero would be my pick
    Quote Originally Posted by Faux Forg View Post
    I agree with Rdyno

Do you want it for actual off roading or to use as the family bus that can tow big shit? Left field idea, one of the GM SUVs. Can pickup a 2000 on Tahoe/Yukon/Suburban or Escalade with less than 200k on the clock for under $40k. Will seat between 7 and 9 adults and tow just about anything. Pretty bomb proof, although I'd imagine they'd feel abit sloppy if you're used to Japanese build quality.
    The Tahoe isn't much bigger than a Land Cruiser.

I have 4 kids so a big 3rd row would be great. I have a prado 120 series petrol and the 3rd row is abit squished compared to a full landcruiser.
    Would like to do the annual trip to say Stockton Beach Newcastle or Fraser Island. Been occasional rock hopping at Newnes state forest and Monkey Gum Yawal way.

But overall daily to lug kids around to sport and school etc. Family of 6. Yes woud love to tow a Hard floor camper trailer too and bike rack at times.

Some cars look great on paper but then you here these horror stories of something that is a deal breaker like it grenading or having gearbox issues etc.

The Isuzu MUX would of been nice as they have no faults but same thing.3rd row is kinda squished.

The 100 series 3rd row size is what I like to have as minimum. even with the 3rd row up for seating the cargo area behind it still puts some hatch backs to shame.
    The LC are very roomy too

For your purposes the land cruiser is the go.

Quote Originally Posted by DR GTR View Post
    Driven one with exhaust. Insane. like 300kw and 560nm from factory.

I wonder what the fuel consumption would be though
    over 20L/100 but its e10 i think?

Just from a curiosity point. Has anyone been in a Gu8 patrol? Are they roomier than a prado 120?

I only been in a y62 and they are fucken huge.

Quote Originally Posted by kedderz View Post
    over 20L/100 but its e10 i think?
    The 200 series LC petrol v8 4.7 litre apparently returns 16.5 litres per hundred in real world figures.

The 2uzfe had the same issue as the 1uzfe in regards to replacing starter motor lol. Its under the intake manifold. The Manifold has to come off!

Iirc the GU is abit roomier than a Prado, been so long since I've been near either.
    If it's ultimate space you want then the yank trucks have it all over everything else this side of a Sprinter. But I wouldn't want to take one too far off road, simply due to the size of the things rather than lack of ability/durability.
    A Land Cruiser is pretty hard to beat really.

I need more cylinders! nine2nine's Avatar
    Y62. Someone on here owns one, could comment on economy. Everyone just assumes that because it's a petrol 4wd then it must use 20l/100 but I'm pretty sure they aren't too bad, especially on longer trips.

Projects:
    '90 2jz-gte 929
    '02 twin-locked TD42 GU Patrol

Quote Originally Posted by nine2nine View Post
    Y62. Someone on here owns one, could comment on economy. Everyone just assumes that because it's a petrol 4wd then it must use 20l/100 but I'm pretty sure they aren't too bad, especially on longer trips.
    True
    My prado 1grfe petrol returns 14.5 to 17 litres per hundred around the suburbs.
    Its a good motor too.

Quote Originally Posted by irsa76 View Post
    Iirc the GU is abit roomier than a Prado, been so long since I've been near either.
    If it's ultimate space you want then the yank trucks have it all over everything else this side of a Sprinter. But I wouldn't want to take one too far off road, simply due to the size of the things rather than lack of ability/durability.
    A Land Cruiser is pretty hard to beat really.
    I think you are right. Its going to be a landcruiser one way or another

Id be paying the extra 10k and going the y62. Near new arab spec luxury. Plus petrol is cheaper than diesel half the time and the tojo diesel wont be *that* much better on fuel.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by da9jeff; 19-07-17 at 09:59 PM.
    Tow car/camping bus: 2011 D40 Navara ST

Baby mobile: 2016 Nissan Qashqai

75 Mini Clubman club racer - DCOE powah

Yeah I hear ya. After sitting in an LC they are so fucken roomy ... Like seriously comfortable.
    I can only imagine how nice a 200 series would be when I have only been in a 100 series.

200 000kms or more wouldnt bother you in a toyota diesel?

Just kinda alot of money to fork out for those kms. I guess any 4x4 is more rock solid than you average 200 000km car?
    Na, mine has 430k kms, and its honestly never given me an issue, no oil leaks, still goes awesome. Thing is with a GU Patrol or 105 Series (Anything non IFS really) arn't the nicest things to drive, steering is floaty, but you get used to it. A 100 series will drive just as if not nicer than your Prado
    Quote Originally Posted by The Property Guru
    don't haemophrodites generally have tiny wangs?
    Quote Originally Posted by oxy View Post
    No, that's asians
    A80 Supra
    80 Landcruiser

Quote Originally Posted by nine2nine View Post
    Lol, I wouldn't worry even if it was 20l/100, not after 2 Commodores, Verada, Voyager and a Rav4 which all got around that figure.

Even Commodore? lol every cunt tells me commodores are fuel efficient for big cars.
    Maybe real world figures are different to all these magazine reviews etc

what are you intending to actually do with said 4wd? most IFS diffs go weak in the knees if you launch them over rocks under power.
    but anything other than that, they work just fine, and drive noticeably better than live axle cars on the road, where most people do 99% of their driving.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rdyno
    70ynu has to be the most retarded cunt here. "Help me please" me "you need to remove your head" him "fuck off cunt I'm to lazy fuck off out of my thread you told me to do something I don't want to do so you're a cunt fuck off can some one please tell me an easier way???"
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripper
    Its a tight battle between you and rogercordia for the most retarded member on here, thou i think you have it by 5 window licks

90 percent on road. 10 percent off road and that offroad 10 percent is more like Stockton beach , rough fire trails and Fraser island stuff.

Im thinking a second hand 200 series or as you guys mentioned a y62. They got some good gear for the money. 300kw and apparently fuel consumption isn't bad.

90 percent on road. 10 percent off road and that offroad 10 percent is more like Stockton beach , rough fire trails and Fraser island stuff.

Im thinking a second hand 200 series or as you guys mentioned a y62. They got some good gear for the money. 300kw and apparently fuel consumption isn't bad.
    Y62 if you want space, comfort and don't mind a petrol engine. Just as good as a 200 off road.

fire trails arent usually rough enough to warrant live axles and shit. but i reckon a GU 3l would struggle in the sand. they have barely enough power to pull themselves along without grenading, and the TD42's are noisy thirsty slow tractor motors. leave them things for the farmers.

the Y62 would be the pick, followed by 200 series. the TT4.5 is slow for what it should be. but apparently a tune wakes them up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rdyno
    70ynu has to be the most retarded cunt here. "Help me please" me "you need to remove your head" him "fuck off cunt I'm to lazy fuck off out of my thread you told me to do something I don't want to do so you're a cunt fuck off can some one please tell me an easier way???"
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripper
    Its a tight battle between you and rogercordia for the most retarded member on here, thou i think you have it by 5 window licks

Truth be told o know a few with 3.0 patrols with no problems. Yeah they aren't as tough as the 4.2 but it's well documented the fixes and precaution mods to make them reliable.

At end of the day if 90% of the driving is not off-road I'd go the cruiser for outright comfort.
    Quote Originally Posted by Faux Forg View Post
    I agree with Rdyno

Quote Originally Posted by MRMOPARMAN View Post
    fire trails arent usually rough enough to warrant live axles and shit. but i reckon a GU 3l would struggle in the sand. they have barely enough power to pull themselves along without grenading, and the TD42's are noisy thirsty slow tractor motors. leave them things for the farmers.

the Y62 would be the pick, followed by 200 series. the TT4.5 is slow for what it should be. but apparently a tune wakes them up.
    The Y62 will decimate all the options in this thread on the beach as long as you pull the trc abs fuse. Fire tracks and ruts it will also have a big upper hand on a 200 due to longer travel suspension and no big rear pumpkin acting as an anchor