Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Which Euro off roader for general touring and 4x4 shenanigans: hypothetical

Which Euro off roader for general touring and 4x4 shenanigans: hypothetical

About to do a major cleanup of all the things and looking to get into a bit more touring, camping and the like. As such I'm considering selling my Amarok to purchase a more basic ute for work related stuff and a proper wagon that can be set up with everything needed for weekends away like drawers, permanent mounted fridge, compressors, etc.

The other boys I do this stuff with are all staunch Patrol/Landcruiser fanbois and me being a Eurotard just can't deal with running with the same pack so I'm looking further afield to the previous generation of Euro offroaders. Fully aware finding extras and servicing no doubt will be more difficult but I'm not looking for a comp truck, just something that can hold gear, be capable off road and tow a laden camper trailer.

Theoretical budget is $25-30k at this stage, prefer turbo diesel and auto, must have low range and diff locks or at least be easily adaptable for the later. Anything turbo diesel will obviously get a retune, pipes, DPF delete, snorkel etc and will run two sets of wheels (HT's for the daily grind and MT's for playtime).

Current musings are:

Audi Q7 TDV6
    Power 176kW @ 4400rpm
    Torque (Nm) 550Nm @ 2000-2250rpm

Cheap and lots available but approach and departure angles leave a lot to be desired, looks a bit tardy, Audi interiors always seem a bit naff.

05 on update Porsche Cayenne with the 4.8 V8 or 3.0 TDV6
    Power 283kW @ 6200rpm
    Torque (Nm) 500Nm @ 3000rpm
    Same specs as Audi TDv6

Same platform as the Q7 and Touareg so parts interchangability, is a Porsche, off road pack seems hard to find, nice place to be inside, again looks a special bus on the outside, v8 fuel bill will no doubt be intense.

Mercedes GL320cdi or GL500
    Power 165kW @ 3800rpm
    Torque (Nm) 510Nm @ 1600-2800rpm (TDV6)
    Power 285kW @ 6000rpm
    Torque (Nm) 530Nm @ 2800-4800rpm (V8)

Much nicer looker, lots of off road gizmos standard, appears to have reasonable approach/departure angles, have been in and do rate, probably pick of the litter currently.

Volkswagen Touareg
    Power 176kW @ 4400rpm
    Torque (Nm) 550Nm @ 2250-2500rpm (TDV6)
    Power 230kW @ 4000rpm
    Torque (Nm) 750Nm @ 2000rpm (full retard TDV10)

Mostly boring and puke worthy to look at, much cheaper than the others/same money gets a much newer model, TDV10 lunacy available, TDV10 lunacy servicing and maintenance compulsory, can probably buy a cheap one and hack it up for offroading without feeling much guilt, resale in the toilet regardless.

Not looking at Range Rovers in this price bracket, pretty much all puke plus the olds are buying a newish one in the coming months so will no doubt end up with that in future anyway.

Fire away with any relevant information and experience on these vehicles or suggest something I haven't thought of.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimi View Post
    80mm of penetration isn't bad, i wish i had that much.
    Quote Originally Posted by schnitzelburger View Post
    My entire working career pretty much consists of suckin dick and takin names.

Sometimes im too busy to take names.

The royal penis is clean tremolo's Avatar
    V8 Volvo XC90?

Patrol.
    Quote Originally Posted by cheapracer View Post
    Sperm are clever little fuckers that got us where we are today. You've never heard of pre-cum by the way?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nugs View Post
    That's why I punch myself in the nuts before sex, get them disorientated.

http://www.caradvice.com.au/17763/20...ffroad-review/

One of the most fun days I've had in a car was this review - so if the version that absolutely should not be off road can do it, the normal one should be quite capable.
    #teamtremolo
    Quote Originally Posted by brasher
    TJ is 99% African American.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatboy View Post
    And i'd still fuck Betty....

I'd go the VW, one of the few Euros which has off road accessories available for them.

Range Rover Sport V8TD.
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

F40

1998 MX5 - Ohlins DFV coilovers, Roll bar,15 x7.5 Konig Litespeeds, Mania Intake
    2014 Colorado LT - Oversized Whitegoods. Kid/bike/track hack/horse hauler.

Land Rover Discovery 3/4?

Pinzgauer

If I had an excuse to buy the big VW with a TTV10 I'd do it with no regrets (until later).
    Last edited by awdmoke; 20-07-17 at 04:58 PM. Reason: Autocorrect madness
    Lots of minis & mokes including a G13b powered Sports Sedan, a couple of Swift Gtis, a Goggomobil, 928S, Polo Gti, BMW 540i, a WRX and a Navara with the deadly ZD30

The royal penis is clean tremolo's Avatar
    Unimog with Tipo F120A conversion
    Last edited by tremolo; 20-07-17 at 04:59 PM.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5df194c1c6a54aed6c8ee33eb7906426.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	110.6 KB 
ID:	100684
    Do not listen to anything this man says. They are insane, illogical thoughts propagated by us, the voices in his head.

I happen to be selling my '07 Cayenne S right now. Has all-terrains.

I went through the same musings, and although I wasn't going to kit it out like you, I wanted the one that was least likely to leave me stranded off road. Although I haven't done a lot of off road in it, the Cayenne is super capable, and has surprised a lot of staunch Toyota crew that I came across in some pretty remote places for work. I specifically didn't want an aging euro TD though - the small saving in fuel economy would be smashed if anything ever went wrong with it. And the 4.8L V8 in the Cayenne isn't bad on fuel - I get 10.5L/100km on the highway and 13-14L/100 driving across the city (because Adelaide?).

Rightly or wrongly, I discounted the others because:
    Q7 - Too big. No low range? Don't need 7 seats.
    ML - Not great off road? Questionable reliability, or was that the MLs?
    Touareg - Would have been next on my list, but not available with a V8

I also wanted air suspension (standard on Cayenne S) and a tow bar, which is hard to find on GLs and Cayennes, and a massive cost to retrofit.

I looked for a few months to find a Cayenne with an off-road pack/lockers and nothing came up. Do the GLs/Q7s even have them as an option?

I didn't actually drive any of them before I bought the Cayenne (I didn't even drive that before I bought it!), but the Cayenne appeared to be the best all-rounder from the reviews I read, and it has done the right thing by me for the last 3 years.
    Last edited by Grungle; 20-07-17 at 07:08 PM.

Jak Sie Masz! trent from punchy's Avatar
    I have nothing to add on off roading, but looks wise I rate the Benz the worst and the Porsche the best.
    Porsche will be best on smooth roads I reckon too.
    www.markpakula.com
    2017 Subaru Impreza Hatch - for the grind
    2015 Cervelo S2 - for the fitness
    2005 Honda Accord Euro - for the wife
    1991 CBR250RR - for the fun

Mate has muddies on an e53 X5, it works surprisingly well
    Quote Originally Posted by Faux Forg View Post
    I agree with Rdyno

GL has central and rear diff lock up until 2016 then it's off-road pack only.
    ML needs off-road pack for same.

As per Porsche I rate the V8 but moreso because the 3.0 in the Merc is a bit archaic and feels slow next to the equivalent motor in the Q7 / Porsche or tourag.

I'd go one of these;

GL V8 (Make sure rotors are done, and airbags -$700 a corner and power steering seal (easy) and check engine mounts(hard). Otherwise bullet proof.

Toareg - V10 would be epic, I've never driven the V6 TDI but heard it's a bit shit for some reason? A mate had the 4.0 litre V8 one and it was ok but thirsty and didn't have off-road pack.

Porsche - depending on price I'd have a V8 one of these in front of the V10 towrag, so long as off-road pack etc.

My 2C.

PS let's go camping soon, can have a steer on the beach.
    DJ's don't need sigs

No merc g wagon?

no mods, leave it stock Jack Nicholson's Avatar
    B̶e̶v̶e̶r̶l̶y̶ ̶H̶i̶l̶l̶s̶,̶ ̶C̶A̶ Baulkham Hills, NSW
    Quote Originally Posted by Chase Rockwell View Post
    A $25k Disco 4 or Range Rover Sport is going to be pretty much knackered or a piss weak poverty-pack model. Do not want.

I would assume a $25k Cayenne would be as well, although I may be proven wrong.
    Jaguar XJR, Freelander 2 HSE, Jaguar XKR

Quote Originally Posted by Marv View Post
    Look, just because you drive a couple of imported luxo Pommy cars doesn't mean you need to act like an Imperialistic Lapdog and be the last bastion of defence for Straya The Beaut's mid-20th-Century ideals
    Quote Originally Posted by nutttr View Post
    People must assume you are some sort of drug dealer with all these nice cars turning up to a fibro home

Ranger XLT Euro.
    xw Falcon 393 full race cam, NGK spark plugs.

Cayenne Turbo. It's my daily and off roader and it's great!

I'm not sure about the newer models but the Turbo has extra ground clearance over the S. The Turbo S is nice but you've got to use 19 inch wheels as a minimum.
    Last edited by Berty; 20-07-17 at 09:05 PM.

V8 fuel bill is intense if you use the right foot a lot - I got 7km per litre on the highway last week and 3.8km per litre around town according to the trip computer (which is 8.9mpg)

I think you want 07 (which technically didn't exist) for the facelift model. I've got an 05 and it's the older one. Not sure when they went from the transfer case setup but you definitely want the 'real 4wd' not the system they use in later Cayennes.

I thought the S had everything the Turbo has minus the Turbo? and being air suspension I don't think there's much difference in ride height (the controller is interchangeable)?

oh, and larger than 19-inch wheels on older Cayennes wears lower control arms prematurely.

and clear out your water drains - I know a guy who got his car written off from water damage from blocked water drains (they come out at the base of the doors)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Nicholson View Post
    A $25k Disco 4 or Range Rover Sport is going to be pretty much knackered or a piss weak poverty-pack model. Do not want.

i paid $19.5k for an '05 with 168,000km and full porsche dealer service history from new and some gemballa bits. There's still a few around with really low KM's and good service history. I took mine off road during the storms we had a few months ago, went okay on street tyres and saved me from being half way to Toowoomba. I'd be afraid of damaging something though (i assume it's the same for an Audi/VW) as some panels are astronomical in price
    Last edited by Stix Zadinia; 20-07-17 at 09:30 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Smidge View Post
    Would bang. Did bang. Marrying that shit.
    SUNTORY BOSS is the boss of them all since 1992!

I had a V6 TDI Touareg for a couple of years, used it for touring/camping. Boring but piss easy to drive long distances, stick the cruise on 120 on the freeway and it will drive through a tsunami without twitching. Also felt the same whether empty or full of gear and people, will tow anything you throw at it. I could sleep in the back if i removed the rear seat base and was better than you'd think on shitty fire trails etc; I didnt do anything tougher than rutted trails in it so only needed low range once. Averaged about 9L/100 on those long trips and has ~80L usable in the tank (100L tank, VW want you to leave 20L or so in it as the fuel cools the high-pressure fuel pump).

Downside is the spacesaver, you'll want to get a rear carrier and full size spare. I suspect that will be the same deal for many of the euros. The spare on the Touareg is stored deflated so you need to inflate it as well, it comes with a portable compressor. Also they obviously dont have as much suspension travel as a typical 4x4 so you adjust your driving a little, traction control is good and takes care of it. The only drama i had with mine was the DPF, which i think was due to the stealership using shit oil in it. Otherwise was a good thing.

Opinionated Cunt perthdrivers.txt's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rowdytoot View Post
    F40

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    I feel that rules are important as without rules there is no cheating and cheating is a vital part of drag racing.
    Quote Originally Posted by elfturbomax View Post
    What has happened to PF? It seems to be diesel love now days. Maybe the name should be changed to Particulate Forums.
    3x1UZ+1x2UR...

Quote Originally Posted by tremolo View Post
    V8 Volvo XC90?
    Briefly considered but pretty sure they aren't a dedicated 4wd setup with diff locks etc, more of an AWD deal.

Quote Originally Posted by TJ View Post
    http://www.caradvice.com.au/17763/20...ffroad-review/

One of the most fun days I've had in a car was this review - so if the version that absolutely should not be off road can do it, the normal one should be quite capable.
    Only problem being that of the 7 for sale currently all bar one are well above my price limit. The one that is close, https://www.carsales.com.au/private/...-4814223/?Cr=4

is being sold to fund a "proper 4wd" which doesn't bode well. It is a Qld based car though so I might have a chat with the guy anyway to get a real world feel.

Quote Originally Posted by irsa76 View Post
    I'd go the VW, one of the few Euros which has off road accessories available for them.
    Interesting, haven't hit google to find anything yet. Got any links or examples? You'd have to imagine it would be transferable to the others on the same platform.

Quote Originally Posted by Chase Rockwell View Post
    Yeah, nah. Same as RR's in the price bracket, just puke inside and out.

Quote Originally Posted by Grungle View Post
    I happen to be selling my '07 Cayenne S right now. Has all-terrains.

I went through the same musings, and although I wasn't going to kit it out like you, I wanted the one that was least likely to leave me stranded off road. Although I haven't done a lot of off road in it, the Cayenne is super capable, and has surprised a lot of staunch Toyota crew that I came across in some pretty remote places for work. I specifically didn't want an aging euro TD though - the small saving in fuel economy would be smashed if anything ever went wrong with it. And the 4.8L V8 in the Cayenne isn't bad on fuel - I get 10.5L/100km on the highway and 13-14L/100 driving across the city (because Adelaide?).

Rightly or wrongly, I discounted the others because:
    Q7 - Too big. No low range? Don't need 7 seats.
    GL - Not great off road? Questionable reliability, or was that the MLs?
    Touareg - Would have been next on my list, but not available with a V8

I also wanted air suspension (standard on Cayenne S) and a tow bar, which is hard to find on GLs and Cayennes, and a massive cost to retrofit.

I looked for a few months to find a Cayenne with an off-road pack/lockers and nothing came up. Do the GLs/Q7s even have them as an option?

I didn't actually drive any of them before I bought the Cayenne (I didn't even drive that before I bought it!), but the Cayenne appeared to be the best all-rounder from the reviews I read, and it has done the right thing by me for the last 3 years.
    So does yours have the off road pack with lockers etc?

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Nicholson View Post

This, in regards to the LR. Cayennes seem to hold together much better from the experience of multiple PF members however.

Quote Originally Posted by Berty View Post
    Cayenne Turbo. It's my daily and off roader and it's great!

I'm not sure about the newer models but the Turbo has extra ground clearance over the S. The Turbo S is nice but you've got to use 19 inch wheels as a minimum.
    I was considering the Turbo initially but warned off it as it unjustified extra cost. You will have to take me for a strap in yours at some stage though.

Quote Originally Posted by I'm DJ! View Post
    GL has central and rear diff lock up until 2016 then it's off-road pack only.
    ML needs off-road pack for same.

As per Porsche I rate the V8 but moreso because the 3.0 in the Merc is a bit archaic and feels slow next to the equivalent motor in the Q7 / Porsche or tourag.

I'd go one of these;

GL V8 (Make sure rotors are done, and airbags -$700 a corner and power steering seal (easy) and check engine mounts(hard). Otherwise bullet proof.

Toareg - V10 would be epic, I've never driven the V6 TDI but heard it's a bit shit for some reason? A mate had the 4.0 litre V8 one and it was ok but thirsty and didn't have off-road pack.

Porsche - depending on price I'd have a V8 one of these in front of the V10 towrag, so long as off-road pack etc.

My 2C.

PS let's go camping soon, can have a steer on the beach.
    In for camping and beach rooster tails. I know the Benz V6 goes very well when tickled, a mate had a tuned one in his Jeep and it was a rocket and as mentioned in the OP any diesel version would get a wake up straight away. I've seen some of the new V6 Amaroks being tuned to well over 200kw at the wheels and as it's essentially the same engine as all these things use figure it can't be hard to do the same.

Certainly interested in the 8's as well but fuel bills and rego are probably the main reason I'm steering away at the moment. If they turn out to be a radically better car in any circumstance with each thing I'm looking at I'll certainly put them on the list. Main thing is to go start driving a bunch and see what I like.

I rate the airbag suspension on my R line Toerag so would definitely favour something that had that for being a dual purpose thing. Steel springs if you are going all out off road. . Auto levelling when dropping something heavy on tow ball is good. Lowered (sport mode) around town good, and the amount of lift in offroad mode is impressive. Jockey wheel was fucked on trailer. Could lower car to get under it and then lift it with air suspension. Mate had a new V10 R toerag. Was an impressive thing. Had a good time. Sold it to a mate once warranty was up. He had a really bad time. Oil leaks from turbos. engine out.

Mine doesn't have the off road pack, and I have never been in a situation where I've needed it. The centre diff lock and well-sorted traction control does everything I've ever needed, including stuff with diagonal wheels well off the ground that had hiluxs and prados stuck. The offroad pack on the Cayenne also has remote-release sway bars, but again, the traction control is good enough to keep you going with wheels off the ground anyway.

hilux

Quote Originally Posted by 50RTD View Post
    hilux
    Want something that runs.

Dad has an R5 t-reg, and has plenty of experience with the Cayenne. He went the VW because it's the most capable of the platform off the showroom floor, and the simplest with the 5cyl. Siekel do some bits for the t-reg, not sure what can fit the other models though. Avoid cheap R50. Not cheap to sort what's wrong. Dad looked at one that looked good but no history and was questionable mechanically, brakes were worn etc. All he has needed to do on his was find a new compresssor for the compact spare and sort a power socket. He's looking at grabbing some sprinter van wheels with proper tyres

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Sketchy View Post
    is being sold to fund a "proper 4wd" which doesn't bode well.
    I guess it depends on the type of 4wding you want to do? If its normal beach, easy track sort of stuff a few times a year you'll have no issues but the thing that worries me is lack of tyre given you probably cant drop rim size and decent tyres wont fit without rubbing etc

Road tyres are pretty ordinary off road (on sand they are fine) but the lack of sidewall is a major issue when it comes to real 4wding. You need it for traction, protection (punctures, rocks etc) and during recovery when you need to be at 10psi trying to get out of super soft sand.

Theres a good reason why the majority of 4wders stick to the usual suspects i think.
    Last edited by docile1; 22-07-17 at 01:17 AM.