Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which Euro off roader for general touring and 4x4 shenanigans: hypothetical

If off roading I would avoid the airbag suspension just a thing that will fail

Better off running a spring spacer on the stock struts for lift

Q7 never came with locks I know some towrags did and porkas it was a wanky option

Good set of 18,s with good allterain rubber wound make them dam good offroad

If your in sydney swing by and I'll take you out and hit some rocks

All my off-roading has been on 20 inch road rubber.. note had some cooper 20 alleterains for 30k and they were epic off road

They also pump hellies pretty well one you wing it up in 3rd
    Check out my shit for sale on facebook:
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Junk-...25870327473735

i've had my cayenne on 3 wheels turning into the steep KFC driveway, does that count?
    Quote Originally Posted by Smidge View Post
    Would bang. Did bang. Marrying that shit.
    SUNTORY BOSS is the boss of them all since 1992!

Quote Originally Posted by TJ Shermuz View Post
    I'm a huge euro fan but i'm starting to come to the thinking that these things just don't last as good as the jap 4x4's.

y
    This is just fact. The jap stuff is just made so much more simpler with less parts to go wrong. Most new jap 4x4s in 2017 still run conventional simple shocks and springs. Most euro stuff run computer controlled hydrolic shocks that have many fail points, the computer rate controller itself, the hydrolic lines, the actual shock itself etc. each part on its own is more than a full upgrade lift kit on a jap 4x4. Then you have the suspension itself that runs multiliple links with unserviceable bushes so you have to replace the whole arm. Where a bush kit for s jap car will be much simplier cheaper and easy to fit. So people end up maintaining them.

Then you have the drivelines which have the goal of fuel economy and effiency so everything is turned up just a little more to hit those effiency figures. Your jap stuff still run tried and proven engines that have been released a decade ago. They have generally ironed out all the bugs, run more understressed, chew more fuel and are generally less ineffienct. But they can go forever.

Ten you get into something that all off-roaders will have to change, wheel bearings hubs etc. generally your jap stuff is serviceable and easy to get parts. Your euro stuff if often unserviceable meaning you will have to replace the whole assembly at a decent cost as the parts cost are reflective of the car when new. If a car cost 150k new it generally runs more expensive parts. 2k for a shock absorber is well worth it for the comfort that new car provides, but when the car is work 20k several years later and falling to bits spending 8k shocks is painful.

It just means the jap stuff stands the test of time and abuse a lot better. If your getting something new the euro stuff will drive better due to the engineering, but that same complex engineering that makes it drive so well can burn you later and when the car suffers some abuse.

Yep. Jap stuff is great. Injectors in Toyota diesels. Patrol hand grenade engines. Shocks for Prado 120 series Grande which are genuine only at $700 each.

Yep ^ Air shocks for the gl500 are $800 a corner and last 50-100000kms

I've said it a bunch of times but the GL I have dragged our camper trailer over double island point, pulled my mates V8 100 series cruiser out when he got stuck and all on 22 inch rims with Noah sidewall.

I'm going to get some of the 17s from the diesel and put a/T's on it once it's retired from daily duties.

That said places I wouldn't drive it?

I wouldn't take it out the strezlecki track loaded right up or with a trailer. In fact I wouldn't full stop. Maybe 100-250 KMS of bad dirt roads, but those roads fuck even the toughest of cars and one thing this is is heavy as fuck.

In that regard, a cross desert truck imo needs to be disposable and not have multiple redundant systems in the suspension department.

On a beach or dune or whatever, this thing will monster a cruiser in ever single way except rear departure angle.
    DJ's don't need sigs

Quote Originally Posted by BigJonWB View Post
    Shocks for Prado 120 series Grande which are genuine only at $700 each.
    yall motherfuckers need amayama.com

Toyota 48510-60121 prado grande shock : from Toyota Australia $912 AUD.... from UAE warehouse, $199 AUD. 50+ in stock. GENUINE.

100 series front CV shaft, $830 AUD from toyo aus. $179 usd from UAE warehouse.
    100 series hydraulic adjustable shock. $520 from toyo aus, $183 usd from UAE warehouse.

all australian spares from dealers are a fucking rip off.
    Last edited by burn is weird; 08-08-17 at 10:25 AM.

Oo___oO

Worth noting most of the euro marques have far cheaper OS alternatives for parts much like amayama mentioned above.

If I purchase a second hand high end euro offroader you best believe I will not be getting it serviced at the dealer and paying full retail for anything on it ever.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimi View Post
    80mm of penetration isn't bad, i wish i had that much.
    Quote Originally Posted by schnitzelburger View Post
    My entire working career pretty much consists of suckin dick and takin names.

Sometimes im too busy to take names.

so you're not going to give the Porsche dealer $800 just for the gearbox oil?

i am disappoint

Depends, how hot are the chicks who work in the Porsche service department? I'd assume most services come with a lapdance and gram of quality rack as a minimum.

I was going to post this but it sold quick. https://www.carsales.com.au/private/...SSE-AD-4904934

I do know of another supercharged Y62 for sale which would be a killer vehicle.
    The customer.

I had a Range Rover sport, the current model one, but I was finding I was doing more touring type stuff and getting away more, this combined with the fact it was coming up to 3 years old and almost out of warranty meant I sold it and bought a new landcruiser.

Best move I ever made.... not stressing about breaking it and waiting on parts, yes you can get cheap parts overseas, but fuck waiting for them to get here. The landcruiser eats everything up off-road and on, is easy enough to park and get around town in, is plenty luxurious enough inside with all the mod cons, and I'm not shitting myself I'll break something when I'm off road because parts are cheap, readily available, and I don't have to wait 2 weeks to get anything done to it. Resale seems to be pretty damn good from what I can tell too.

Just my 2 cents worth (I realize after that post I sound like a 32 year old who has given up on fun cars, but it just made sense)

Quote Originally Posted by Paydirt View Post
    I was going to post this but it sold quick. https://www.carsales.com.au/private/...SSE-AD-4904934

I do know of another supercharged Y62 for sale which would be a killer vehicle.
    That is the sort of thing that could sway me, but I'm pretty confident it will be well out of my intended budget and fuel usage will probably murder me.

So this has popped up on a Facebook group yesterday.

2003 Cayenne S, 4.5 V8. Has already had the coolant lines replaced as well as the driveshaft 30 thou km ago and apparently all the other known failure items, car is local to me (have seen it driving around plenty and is always immaculate) and is also really cheap at $14k. The owner tells me he is selling as he has just sold his ferrari with the intent of purchasing a new Bentley so if that's true probably the best type of previous owner.

Has all the diff locks etc plus the factory towbar but no height adjustable suspension. Going to have a look at it on Sunday arvo if time permits, might ask him to throw the plates in if I buy it so I can give them to my ex girlfriend.

Grab a picture of the option document which is under the spare tire accessory panel. This is the best way to compare apples and apples with these things.

has he had it long? i drove one similar to that over in Milton last year that had a leaking torque converter that was big bucks to fix (but all the black ones look the same to me)

oh and if those are bigger than 19's your control arm bushings will be 5 minutes from failure

oh and if you're going sunday i've got a durametric pro that can read all the codes from a cayenne, needs a laptop and the software from the website to run

Quote Originally Posted by Berty View Post
    Grab a picture of the option document which is under the spare tire accessory panel. This is the best way to compare apples and apples with these things.
    Excellent advice, will do.

Quote Originally Posted by Stix Zadinia View Post
    has he had it long? i drove one similar to that over in Milton last year that had a leaking torque converter that was big bucks to fix (but all the black ones look the same to me)

oh and if those are bigger than 19's your control arm bushings will be 5 minutes from failure
    Dunno, I'd assume from new but I will find out. Wheels are new 20x10 Simmons apparently so will check CA bushings. Quite like the wheels so would probably keep them for dailys and have a set of 18's (if they clear the brakes) with muddies for banging around offroad.

oh and if you're going sunday i've got a durametric pro that can read all the codes from a cayenne, needs a laptop and the software from the website to run
    Was going to send you a PM to see if you're available to come for a run and look over it with me. Can bring laptop, how hard or expensive is it to get the software?

yeah i've got the software on a laptop, it's a free download (it's the cable that costs money). i'm around sunday arvo.

there's always sets of 19's on gumtree for $300 with tyres. infact i might have a set you can buy for offroading

It appears some people have the same retarded ideas I do.

this is the sort of thing I'm picturing in my head as a finished product but with more suspension travel (if thats even possible) and not an X5.

B̶e̶v̶e̶r̶l̶y̶ ̶H̶i̶l̶l̶s̶,̶ ̶C̶A̶ Baulkham Hills, NSW
    Quote Originally Posted by Sketchy View Post
    this is the sort of thing I'm picturing in my head as a finished product but with more suspension travel (if thats even possible) and not an X5.
    Jaguar XJR, Freelander 2 HSE, Jaguar XKR

Quote Originally Posted by Marv View Post
    Look, just because you drive a couple of imported luxo Pommy cars doesn't mean you need to act like an Imperialistic Lapdog and be the last bastion of defence for Straya The Beaut's mid-20th-Century ideals

Don't the non turbos eat their bore liners?

Quote Originally Posted by Sketchy View Post

Quite difficult to get a lot of extra travel out of multi link suspension. If you want to just look baller drop the mounting points so the wheel hangs low and every one thinks you have mad travel.

5 minutes from failure
    Good band name, noted.

Quote Originally Posted by vet 180 View Post
    Quite difficult to get a lot of extra travel out of multi link suspension. If you want to just look baller drop the mounting points so the wheel hangs low and every one thinks you have mad travel.
    depends on the car. disco 3/4's get pretty impressive travel for what they are.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rdyno
    70ynu has to be the most retarded cunt here. "Help me please" me "you need to remove your head" him "fuck off cunt I'm to lazy fuck off out of my thread you told me to do something I don't want to do so you're a cunt fuck off can some one please tell me an easier way???"
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripper
    Its a tight battle between you and rogercordia for the most retarded member on here, thou i think you have it by 5 window licks

Quote Originally Posted by MRMOPARMAN View Post
    depends on the car. disco 3/4's get pretty impressive travel for what they are.
    Agreed, there are a few ifs/irs 4x4's that have impressive suspension travel, the disco as you mentioned, the Y62 is very impressive, even the pajero isn't too bad. But my comment still applies to all of these rigs, getting a lot of extra suspension travel is quite a difficult exercise to ll those cars mentioned.

You can lift the car all you want but you will not get extra travel, in fact you most likely end up with less than stock.
    Quote Originally Posted by Babalouie View Post
    Geez we're a bunch of softcocks...we have a 911 and we're obsessing over non-functional ducts and indicator colours

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin View Post
    First I've heard of it. Seems to be plenty of Cayenne owners on PF these days so if it was a real problem I'm sure it would be shouted about from the rooftops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered User bigshipengine.jpg's Avatar
    The talk was always the Turbo Cayenne was the one to get due to cylinder liner drama's in the NA but no idea exactly how common it is.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    It Places the lotion in the basket!

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin View Post
    my mechanic doesn't think so, and he's looked after a few hundred. turbo's apparently reguarly get intercooler leaks tho