Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Which Euro off roader for general touring and 4x4 shenanigans: hypothetical

Yeah, the W163 ML was probably the second worse thing every to wear the 3 pointed star, the MB vans being even worse. Built in Alabama and aimed directly at the Mercury Mountaineer and Oldsmobile Bravada SUVs, nothing like setting the bar low and failing. About the only thing going for them was the fact that compared to the yank luxo mid sized SUVs they were nice to drive, actually they were fairly nice to drive for an SUV at that time period. They had stupid quality problems, we used to joke the window switch pack was onto double letter revision suffix they had to be revised so often during production. Even the 2001 facelift which was supposed to fix alot of the issues wasn't any better, window switches still failed. They are useless off road, turn the traction aids off and you're going no where as I found out, got a ML270 stuck trying to climb a grassy hill during the PD roadtest. My Subaru walked up the same hill no issues. I saw a few lunch engines with very low km, ML55 needed a new engine before it even had it's first oil change. Iirc the only engine I didn't see needing work was the diesel, instead we had a couple come in with blown transfer cases. Other weird problems I remember were the roof rails failing with a load on them, recall hearing a claim one ripped the mounts out of the roof due to having a spare wheel on the rack. Also saw the optional spare wheel carrier jam closed which needed to be removed before we could open the tailgate, although iirc we suspected it had been hit.

Quote Originally Posted by Gammaboy View Post
    Was amazed at how little room there is in Russ' Cayenne on saturday morning - seemed awfully cramped.
    This is true. Dunno if it's just because Russco's rig is lowered but it seemed tiny next to my Amarok. Not a major concern as I don't have kids and won't be sitting in the back but camping and offroading generally requires a buttload of shit to be carted around so every bit of space counts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimi View Post
    80mm of penetration isn't bad, i wish i had that much.
    Quote Originally Posted by schnitzelburger View Post
    My entire working career pretty much consists of suckin dick and takin names.

Sometimes im too busy to take names.

Quote Originally Posted by irsa76 View Post
    Anorak stuff
    Cliffs?

Quote Originally Posted by Sketchy View Post
    This is true. Dunno if it's just because Russco's rig is lowered but it seemed tiny next to my Amarok. Not a major concern as I don't have kids and won't be sitting in the back but camping and offroading generally requires a buttload of shit to be carted around so every bit of space counts.
    Yeah, It makes the E61 look cavernous in comparison - and they're within 1 1/4" of the same wheelbase. I guess the extra 4" of length is all behind the E61s rear axle, but the back seats of the Cayenne looked really short on leg room too.
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Cliffs?

Yeah, It makes the E61 look cavernous in comparison - and they're within 1 1/4" of the same wheelbase. I guess the extra 4" of length is all behind the E61s rear axle, but the back seats of the Cayenne looked really short on leg room too.
    Cliffs: poor quality shitboxes. My Voyager was better put together/more reliable.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Again, not really an issue for the wife and I...

Quote Originally Posted by irsa76 View Post
    Cliffs: poor quality shitboxes. My Voyager was better put together/more reliable.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Thanks EuroRDyno.

Quote Originally Posted by darkside View Post
    Possibly relevant to this thread. Portal axle E series Estate anyone?

I fucking want this. Badly.

Cliffs?

my front seats are all the way back so there's a bit there - and yeah it is small in the back because of the shape

and i think mines about 2 inches lower than a regular cayenne
    Quote Originally Posted by Smidge View Post
    Would bang. Did bang. Marrying that shit.
    SUNTORY BOSS is the boss of them all since 1992!

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/...-4866576/?Cr=4

$12k. Somebody buy the damn thing already.

Cheap! Looks clean, no rego or RWC though. Wonder what is wrong with it?

buy a $40 knock off cable from ebay, take a laptop and find out

Probably would if it was in Brisbane. Shame VCDS can't see all the modules.

the knock-off durametric cables can - just got to hope the Chinese kids have been good at soldering and don't destroy the ECU

Hey, didn't ever notice this thread

Am one of those with a Cayenne who heads well out there.

Pros:
    Quick on the highway
    Air suspension gives enormous travel and self levelling - get in an awkward spot just ait a minute for the air suspension to even out
    Onboard air supply, so bag the tyres out on the sand
    seats fold down pretty well to give big space in back
    You'll always have loads of people watching as you traverse rivers/sand expecting you to fail

cons:
    Thirsty as fuck
    strange stud pattern
    can't get any support beyond the city limits
    thisty
    not really big enough for a family more than a weekend without trailer, great as a couple though
    aftermarket products just don't exist
    50,000 sensors, which throw codes no matter what you do
    can only fit 19s so really limited tyre choices
    not long enough to sleep in the back

I like mine, and take it to pretty stupid places in the minds of many people. I'd certainly suggest air suspension over springs - dad has a 200 series land cruiser (standard) and I happily keep up with him, but enjoy the highway drive a lot more.

I wish I could get a long range tank though ... 100 litres isn't enough.

I changed over the stereo for a chinese made POS that has bluetooth, mp3, navigation and other stuff - best modification ever (apart from pulling the 22s off and putting on 19s)