Page 15 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Jaguar XKR Portfolio - the poor mans Aston

Just spotted this on Facebook. Not sure about the front bar...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/3635...9132064537373/

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Surely they would be really worn out after being flogged daily at palmersport days? They had m3s after these and they felt really worn out with 20k miles on them
    POWER CHIP free since 2003.

no mods, leave it stock Jack Nicholson's Avatar
    B̶e̶v̶e̶r̶l̶y̶ ̶H̶i̶l̶l̶s̶,̶ ̶C̶A̶ Baulkham Hills, NSW
    Can't see the ad since it's a closed group, but if it's here in Australia for $50k it really ain't worth it, not unless it can be road registered.

There's a bloke in the UK on one of the Jag forums who has a Palmersport, and he got it registered and UK road legal, with the cage & all.

In saying that mine would be as quick, if not quicker. I'd definitely have more power, and traction (they still had open diffs), i've got the same suspension & brakes, the only difference is the aero, which is ugly as hell so I wouldn't do it no matter how much better it was...

The first of the Apex GT3's were much sexier... especially the rear wing.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jaguar_01.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	221.9 KB 
ID:	104088
    Jaguar XJR, Freelander 2 HSE, Jaguar XKR

Quote Originally Posted by Marv View Post
    Look, just because you drive a couple of imported luxo Pommy cars doesn't mean you need to act like an Imperialistic Lapdog and be the last bastion of defence for Straya The Beaut's mid-20th-Century ideals
    Quote Originally Posted by nutttr View Post
    People must assume you are some sort of drug dealer with all these nice cars turning up to a fibro home

Oh and my water pump arrived this morning, picking up a new front crank seal tomorrow, should have everything back together on tnt weekend.

Look, just because you drive a couple of imported luxo Pommy cars doesn't mean you need to act like an Imperialistic Lapdog and be the last bastion of defence for Straya The Beaut's mid-20th-Century ideals
    People must assume you are some sort of drug dealer with all these nice cars turning up to a fibro home

Awesome!
    Turns out, far too much has been written about great men and not nearly enough about morons

Quote Originally Posted by seedyrom
    my neighbours called the cops...... not because of the sound of me working in the garage was too loud, but because i taped a cardboard box to my back, covered my self in vaseline and pretended i was a snail on their lawn

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Nicholson View Post
    Can't see the ad since it's a closed group, but if it's here in Australia for $50k it really ain't worth it, not unless it can be road registered.
    I reckon it'd be pretty niche market. The same dude is selling a similar era Aston DB9(?) for $75k.

Bet you're looking forward to having your beast back together!

Quote Originally Posted by [CatchMe] View Post
    I reckon it'd be pretty niche market. The same dude is selling a similar era Aston DB9(?) for $75k.
    At least a DB9 could be complied through SEVS and get full rego, not a chance with an XKR.

I joined that group (I remember I left it ages ago, because reasons) so now I can see the rest of the pics. It's got a Tasmania "Special Interest Vehicle" plate on it, I guess it was imported under the Race/Rally scheme, in other words no chance for full rego. And the car seems to be missing it's rear wing too, which was a big ticket item.

They were somewhat good cars; XKR-S suspension, big fuck off Alcon brakes with 2-piece rotors, the aero package, but at they same time they were a bit shit with open diffs, no additional power, stripped out interior that made them loud as hell, etc... and let's be honest if you want a proper racecar, you aren't gonna buy one of these...

If it could be fully registered and therefore drive it whenever and wherever you want, it'd be much more appealing...

EDIT

Ah I found the Aston that he is selling, it's a V8 Vantage, 4.3L from 2006-2007 by the looks, same deal not on SEVS list, car is on Special Interest plates, $75k no thanks for a few $'s more can buy a complied one...

DOUBLE EDIT

Ah not even a DB9 would been a go, it's the first gen Vanquish that is on the SEVS list, and the DB7...

Quote Originally Posted by [CatchMe] View Post
    Bet you're looking forward to having your beast back together!
    You better believe it!
    Last edited by Jack Nicholson; 02-01-18 at 09:37 PM.

Oh and my water pump arrived this morning, picking up a new front crank seal tomorrow, should have everything back together on tnt weekend.
    This here makes me happy
    Quote Originally Posted by thebluerx7 View Post
    The fact they want to ban cash makes me want to go out and use it full time again now .

At least a DB9 could be complied through SEVS and get full rego, not a chance with an XKR.

I joined that group (I remember I left it ages ago, because reasons) so now I can see the rest of the pics. It's got a Tasmania "Special Interest Vehicle" plate on it, I guess it was imported under the Race/Rally scheme, in other words no chance for full rego. And the car seems to be missing it's rear wing too, which was a big ticket item.

They were somewhat good cars; XKR-S suspension, big fuck off Alcon brakes with 2-piece rotors, the aero package, but at they same time they were a bit shit with open diffs, no additional power, stripped out interior that made them loud as hell, etc... and let's be honest if you want a proper racecar, you aren't gonna buy one of these...

If it could be fully registered and therefore drive it whenever and wherever you want, it'd be much more appealing...

EDIT

Ah I found the Aston that he is selling, it's a V8 Vantage, 4.3L from 2006-2007 by the looks, same deal not on SEVS list, car is on Special Interest plates, $75k no thanks for a few $'s more can buy a complied one...

DOUBLE EDIT

Ah not even a DB9 would been a go, it's the first gen Vanquish that is on the SEVS list, and the DB7...

You better believe it!
    Sounds like old mate is waiting for a wood duck

To be fair though, if that Aston was properly complied, it would be a $100k+ car

Yeah but like most Race imports, it’s eother a race car or a parts donor. Or something to be exported again if the origin market shifts.
    Turns out, far too much has been written about great men and not nearly enough about morons

my neighbours called the cops...... not because of the sound of me working in the garage was too loud, but because i taped a cardboard box to my back, covered my self in vaseline and pretended i was a snail on their lawn

Oh so close....

Win!!

Roadkill don't use bonnets, go on, have a thrash around the block.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Win!!
    Nearly, it's just stuck at 99%

Quote Originally Posted by garvice View Post
    Roadkill don't use bonnets, go on, have a thrash around the block.
    I'm so fucking tempted, I've got the updated tune here with the correction for the new pulley ratios too...

Maybe I should have a few drinks first... /i

The tape didn’t hold, did it.

And some pics & shit

New water pump, thanks Tom!

New idlers

Getting closer

and here's why the oil filter block needed to be "machined"

Very tempting to go for a spin...

Quote Originally Posted by seedyrom View Post
    The tape didn’t hold, did it.
    Funny enough, it did!

Nice work ....that's solid determination in this heat Does your OBII thingy show knock? Given the dB of your exhaust not much chance of hearing it I wouldn't think?
    GT8
    1UZ Celica
    1.07 flat Wakefield Park

Jaguar XKR Portfolio - the poor mans Aston

I was thinking about the detonation issue, discussed it with the ex-JLR guy who does the tunes, the timing is not actually advanced very much, and the AFR at WOT not stupid lean either (11.5 instead of the stock 10.5), and since the stock tune was based on 95RON, there was already a lot of safety in it.

There is so much bullshit out there in the interwebz about these cars and the mods for them, to the point where the smaller supercharger pulleys are called 1.5psi and 3psi units, coz that's how much extra boosts they make, apparently.... The supplier of this pulley kit has "50-60hp" on his website as the gains from just the pulleys alone... I kinda doubt those numbers...

Stock boost with the 2.2:1 ratio is about 11.9PSI according to Jags technical documents, that's probably at sea level in the middle of a freezing winter, so the new 2.5:1 ratio it'll probably be somewhere between 14-15PSI in reality, which is not outrageous, the twin-screw cars are running 20PSI without issue.

but I'm sure I'll have 500hp now either way

Actually maybe italics aren't needed there, nobody who's fitted these pulleys ever had a proper tune so anything could happen now...
    Last edited by Jack Nicholson; 06-01-18 at 08:07 PM.

So are you going to put it on a dyno or estimate the numbers from the drag strip?
    He jerked off with the determination of someone within sight of Everest’s summit, having lost all his friends and Sherpas, having run out of supplemental oxygen, but preferring death to failure.

Quote Originally Posted by Smudge View Post
    So are you going to put it on a dyno or estimate the numbers from the drag strip?
    I'll run it down the strip first, then eventually get it to Castle Hill and put it on the dyno, can do some runs with the stock and modified tunes.

Really want it to be on the Castle Hill dyno since the XJR was run there, and we had an F-Type V8S on there as well, so that will help with some comparative data.

I really should have dyno'd it stock but the cats fucking out and needing replacing kind of ruined it...

Bonnet back on, tune is in.

Been for a quick run, it feels fast, quite savage on kickdown gives you a big shove in the back, it's been a while since I drove it so a bit hard to gauge exactly how fast.

Does a pop/bang from the exhaust on the 1-2 shift at WOT too which is a bit of WTFLOL

Will be interesting to see how it goes at the track.

I was thinking about the detonation issue, discussed it with the ex-JLR guy who does the tunes, the timing is not actually advanced very much, and the AFR at WOT not stupid lean either (11.5 instead of the stock 10.5), and since the stock tune was based on 95RON, there was already a lot of safety in it.

There is so much bullshit out there in the interwebz about these cars and the mods for them, to the point where the smaller supercharger pulleys are called 1.5psi and 3psi units, coz that's how much extra boosts they make, apparently.... The supplier of this pulley kit has "50-60hp" on his website as the gains from just the pulleys alone... I kinda doubt those numbers...

Stock boost with the 2.2:1 ratio is about 11.9PSI according to Jags technical documents, that's probably at sea level in the middle of a freezing winter, so the new 2.5:1 ratio it'll probably be somewhere between 14-15PSI in reality, which is not outrageous, the twin-screw cars are running 20PSI without issue.

but I'm sure I'll have 500hp now either way

Actually maybe italics aren't needed there, nobody who's fitted these pulleys ever had a proper tune so anything could happen now...
    Yeah cool, sounds pretty conservative if everything does what it is supposed to
    GT8
    1UZ Celica
    1.07 flat Wakefield Park

I’ve found most single make groups are utterly ignorant of real world performance. Usual answer seems to be “but the factory setting is perfect so why change it?”

Quote Originally Posted by Justengt4 View Post
    Yeah cool, sounds pretty conservative if everything does what it is supposed to
    Yeah, IF, lol

I’ve found most single make groups are utterly ignorant of real world performance. Usual answer seems to be “but the factory setting is perfect so why change it?”
    I'm a subscriber to the general idea of OEM's having a bigger R&D budget than some cunt in a shed. Sure they do some dumb shit and a lot of engineering decisions are made by accountants, but not always.

It doesn't help that the tuning scene is chock full of bullshitters and frauds too.

So many examples of promises not fulfilled, and every cunt trying to out do the other, it's at the stage now where there are numbers being thrown around which are simply impossible in the real world, or would result in blown engines if true...

For sure. But there’s people on the merc forums arguing that any upgrade from the standard solid front biscuit lid rotors and twin pot calipers is a waste of time as they are already the best in the world for that model car. :/

For sure. But there’s people on the merc forums arguing that any upgrade from the standard solid front biscuit lid rotors and twin pot calipers is a waste of time as they are already the best in the world for that model car. :/
    fknlol, alright yeah that's a different level of one-eyed stupidity... how anyone could argue that 1960's OEM braking technology is the "best for that car" is beyond comprehension...

Same thing from the HSV club when I went to a couple of their days early 2000s in Brisbane. Would all carry on how well engineered their cars were but couldn’t do more than 2 or 3 solid laps without the brakes or power steer cooking. Same guys shunned anyone who nodded their cars.

Clowns
    Quote Originally Posted by Faux Forg View Post
    I agree with Rdyno

Chairbourn ranger! Mike Lowrrryyy's Avatar
    Porsche guys “The crests should point to air valves”
    Quote Originally Posted by S View Post
    I just want to apologise for some of my shit talking back around page 5.