Page 21 of 24 FirstFirst ... 111718192021222324 LastLast

Thread: Jaguar XKR Portfolio - the poor mans Aston

no mods, leave it stock Jack Nicholson's Avatar
    B̶e̶v̶e̶r̶l̶y̶ ̶H̶i̶l̶l̶s̶,̶ ̶C̶A̶ Baulkham Hills, NSW

XKR-S boot spoiler painted and fitted, it's everything I wanted it to be.

Had the rear bumper done as well, it had been resprayed previously and was cracked & peeling in a couple of spots. And the little plastic part at the bottom between the pipes as well, so instead of faded grey plastic, it's now body colour like the 2010-onward cars.
    Last edited by Jack Nicholson; 07-03-18 at 04:11 PM.
    Jaguar XJR, Freelander 2 HSE, Jaguar XKR

Quote Originally Posted by Marv View Post
    Look, just because you drive a couple of imported luxo Pommy cars doesn't mean you need to act like an Imperialistic Lapdog and be the last bastion of defence for Straya The Beaut's mid-20th-Century ideals
    Quote Originally Posted by nutttr View Post
    People must assume you are some sort of drug dealer with all these nice cars turning up to a fibro home

Nice one mate. Looks good.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Looks good. Is there a matching front lip?

Quote Originally Posted by TRH510 View Post
    Nice one mate. Looks good.
    Cheers mate.

Quote Originally Posted by irsa76 View Post
    Looks good. Is there a matching front lip?
    Thanks. Yes there's a matching front lip, side skirts and rear diffuser from the 2008 XKR-S (the black one I posted at the start of the thread), but they are bloody expensive, and I already scrape the front bumper on a regular basis...

Side skirts from the 2012 XKR-S look good and are a bit more subtle, but again they're not exactly cheap.

Had the tune adjusted, he reduced the volumetric efficiency values for the supercharger (since it's not as efficient being too far overdriven) and the mph is up.

114.83mph is a 0.86mph improvement over previous best before the pulleys went on, but the ET is still behind...

Letting it cool down atm, will go back out in a bit to see if there's anything else in it.

Look, just because you drive a couple of imported luxo Pommy cars doesn't mean you need to act like an Imperialistic Lapdog and be the last bastion of defence for Straya The Beaut's mid-20th-Century ideals
    People must assume you are some sort of drug dealer with all these nice cars turning up to a fibro home

Wheelspin = mph

This is as good as it's gonna get tonight, there's a lot of "computer says no" shit going on as well.

Still pretty rapid!
    Turns out, far too much has been written about great men and not nearly enough about morons

Quote Originally Posted by seedyrom
    my neighbours called the cops...... not because of the sound of me working in the garage was too loud, but because i taped a cardboard box to my back, covered my self in vaseline and pretended i was a snail on their lawn

Jaguar XKR Portfolio - the poor mans Aston

Daily driver running 12s is nothing to be upset about. Onya Jack you got a hell of a car
    Last edited by Milkman Don; 08-03-18 at 04:58 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Faux Forg View Post
    I agree with Rdyno

I need more cylinders! nine2nine's Avatar
    Really slow 60' times. Is there anything simple to be done there. Wheel spin or too tight on the converter?

Projects:
    '90 2jz-gte 929
    '02 twin-locked TD42 GU Patrol

Comfortable, understated 12 second bruiser. One hell of a ride. I love that XKR-S wing on it too.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Still pretty rapid!
    Yeah, it's ok, I guess...

Quote Originally Posted by Milkman Don View Post
    Daily driver running 12s is snitching to be upset about. Onya Jack you got a hell of a car
    Thanks mate.

Quote Originally Posted by nine2nine View Post
    Really slow 60' times. Is there anything simple to be done there. Wheel spin or too tight on the converter?
    There is a torque limiting function between the TCM and the PCM (engine ECU) which puts a cap on how much torque the engine can produce if the wheels are not turning. What this means if you stall it up on the brakes the PCM reduces power, by quite a bit, the 60ft is quite a bit slower if you try to launch harder by stalling it up.

Unfortunately this limiter is combined with the torque reduction requests for when it shifts gear, so it's possible to make it launch harder, with more torque, but at the same time it will shift with more torque as well, and this will break shit very quickly. The shifts are already quite violent at times at wide open throttle as it is. Also if we did this the shifts at part throttle would also bang very hard, it would be pretty shit to drive.

Just between you and me, this is how we fucked the gearbag in the XJR, not going to do a repeat in this car.

Quote Originally Posted by CatchMe View Post
    Comfortable, understated 12 second bruiser. One hell of a ride. I love that XKR-S wing on it too.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    Thanks mate!

Quote Originally Posted by Milkman Don View Post
    Daily driver running 12s is snitching to be upset about. Onya Jack you got a hell of a car
    Yup
    Quote Originally Posted by thebluerx7 View Post
    The fact they want to ban cash makes me want to go out and use it full time again now .

Really pleased with the XKR-S wing. More pics, because...

Looks huge in this pic

And a nice touch is you can see the top of it when you look in the rear view mirror, I haven't had a car with a wing you could see in the mirror since I sold the TE50 in 2006...

We all fuck with our cars in the belief we are making them better and quite often we aren't ...at least you have measured every step of the way so you know what you have got....it's not exactly shabby and imagine in real world driving it goes plenty fast enough to give a serious buzz! Wing looks the business!!
    GT8
    1UZ Celica
    1.07 flat Wakefield Park

^^^ pretty much that
    Mit freundlichen Grüße

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Duckworth View Post
    "I think that in a racing engine, the closer it is to disintegrating, in general the better its performance will be "

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Nicholson View Post
    I know these setups, another firm in the US sells a similar thing as "Killer Chiller"

What I don't like is that they delete the factory heat exchanger completely, so it's only using the A/C for cooling.

When you are at wide open throttle, the A/C compressor disengages, no more chilling.

On a 1/4 mile with 12-odd seconds of full throttle, it's not so bad, the system is chilled enough to not need anything additional in that time.

On a 1000m run which will be maybe 20-23 seconds, it's a different story. Also on a circuit track the chilled systems aren't really effective.

In saying that, with these pulley's fitted the car would probably cook itself after a few laps at Wakefield anyhow...

The other thing that concerns me is that if for whatever reason the A/C fails, then there is no intercooling at all, which would be bad...

Hi my name is Kirk, owner of Forced Induction Interchillers.

A customer of mine linked me to this thread to give you a better understanding of how our interchillers work.

You have mentioned that "you don't like deleting the factory heat exchanger" this isn't a problem, you can retain the HX, you can either run it in series with the chiller or run it on a 4 port heater bypass valve.
    With the bypass valve this then gives you ON/OFF control of when the fluid will go through the HX and when it wont. (we keep these in stock for guys circuit racing)

With the valve installed a typical layout would be as follows:

1. reservoir (if fitted)
    2. intercooler pump
    3. bypass valve (if valve is closed skip #4 go to #5)
    4. heat exchanger
    5. chiller
    6. supercharger/turbo

rinse and repeat

The chiller is primarily built for 1/4 mile and 1 mile racing, for either application you size your reservoir appropriately eg 10-12sec of WOT or 20-25sec of WOT.
    You would base your reservoir size based on the flow rate of your pump.

The idea behind this is if you are going WOT for 10sec or 25sec you are passing 0c coolant through the blower/turbo for the entire time spent at WOT.

To give example, we recently had a workshop in WA put our interchiller on a C63 Mercedes-Benz, this has a 20L trunk tank, in total this is around 25-28L with hoses, intercoolers and chiller that entire volume of fluid on a 35c Western Australia day reached -12c
    This car is being built for mile racing and drag racing, the volume of fluid is more than enough to be passing freezing cold fluid through that system the entire time.

On the Holden/HSV VE/VF we make a 6.5L reservoir this puts our total system capacity around 10L.
    This is more than adequate for drag racing, typically we can get a 0-5c intake temp in the staging lanes on the LSA platform this is -10c to -5c fluid temperature.
    After the burnout and staging the car we typically leave the line around 10c IAT at this point the fluid is 0c
    We are crossing the line, spinning the living hell out of the LSA blower making loads of heat and we cross around 42-45c IAT (we are running 148mph to indicate our HP level)
    Within 15-20sec of getting off the throttle we are back below the ambient air temp as the rush of unused cold fluid goes through the blower and drops the temps back down.

By the time we collect our time slip we are back to our minimum intake air temp previously achieved before the run.

We and customers have time slips 15-20min apart where we can back up the same ET over and over

So yes the AC does disengage at WOT, you want it to disengage at WOT.

We have had customers complete circuit racing events with the chiller + 6.5L reservoir and heat exchanger one noted at 15psi of boost 500rwkw on the LSA platform he didn't exceed 35c IAT.
    What basically happens in this case is before the race you are bypassing the HX (the reason for bypassing is because the fluid is colder than the ambient air temp so the HX is actually a heater not a cooler) so you cool your fluid volume down for 5-10min before the race and get it as cold as possible, then when you begin racing open the bypass valve from a simple ON/OFF switch inside the cabin and now the car is trying to heat up your fluid volume whilst you are cooling it with your heat exchanger and intermittently cooling it with the chiller along with the fact everything is very cold and the components and volume of fluid do take a while to change temperature.

To give example to this we once completed a before/after dyno on a 37c day, we did the chiller run first and then did the after run, in order to stabilise the intake temps back to normal we had to complete 7 WOT power runs with the heat exchanger bypassed and the chiller turned off, this equaled zero cooling aids. (This was done over several minutes in between letting the engine idle to see if the IAT had returned back to normal non interchiller temps, after which point we let the car run for 10min with the HX and dyno fan to ensure was stable, if you've even been to the dyno TEKNO Sydney use you will know how much air flow that dyno cell has)

That dyno run is here:

The HP gain in this video shouldn't be misinterpreted the gain was 77rwhp which is what the gain of the chiller was on that day versus not having the chiller and just the heat exchanger + reservoir.
    The example is this, on the dyno on a 20-25c day we normally see 40-45rwhp throughout the entire power curve so say you are making 600rwhp fit the chiller tune it to suit the new found colder intake temps and you should be around 645rwhp, run that same car up on a hotter day eg 37c as per the video and the baseline run without the chiller will now be 568rwhp (not 600rwhp) this is how much HP is being lost to the hotter intake air temps.

The HP gains on the dyno are actually higher at the track we have seen this based on ignition timing knowing how much X degrees timing is worth on the dyno, the reason for this is at the track you have no dyno fan influencing the non interchiller run, that dyno fan is equivalent to having plenty of air flow similar to a highway pull. Based on ignition timing the chiller is worth around 60rwhp at the track on a 20-25c day and even greater on a hotter day as the loss on a hotter day without a chiller is higher again.

(sorry for 2 posts cant post 2 videos in 1 post)

To make this point we had a customer race on a 41c day, he had an IAT of 11c at which point the fluid is 1c, he did race the week prior on a 26c day between those 2 days he only lost 1mph, a friend of his without a chiller lost 5mph.
    This video shows you the intake temp on that day along with the GM vent spec from a HSV dealer manual for that day, vent spec was 16.45c and we achieved 12.1c

The interchillers HP gains are throughout the entire power curve (average HP makes you go faster) peak you are at for milliseconds.

Tuning:
    The tuning scope is something people have never had before until the Interchiller, you can get it as cold as possible, then turn it off and get it as hot as possible. So you can actually simulate all of the air temperatures your engine is ever going to see.
    We tune the LSA from 0°C to 90°C and it’s on the money HP wise for every temp the engine may see.

Previously when your car was tuned you only had the ability to tune for the temps you were within eg 20c day IAT between 30-50c everything below and above that temperature window your tuner had to make a guess on, being on the safer side and having no ability to guess correctly they are going to over estimate how much timing to remove to play it safe. And the same for the colder temps, the tuner can't simulate it at all so they simply leave that section of the table at zero.

As example we offer stage 1,2,3 packages all tunes have had 30-40hrs of dyno time put into them and the IAT corrections are dead on the money (Tuning the IAT only takes 30-45min so for most people this is a touch up tune), if the customer choose not to have a chiller fitted they are still making EXACTLY the correct amount of HP at any given intake air temp the engine will see.

The internal temperature of the chiller can reach as low as -26c
    The coldest intake temp we have seen is -8c IAT which is a fluid temp of -18c on a 10c day with the LSA and 11c IAT on the 41c day.

The variable is how good the AC system is, as example the C63 Mercedes-Benz getting down to -12c fluid temp on a 35c day....this is incredible especially given the fluid volume that was cooled down, during winter this will likely bottom out to -15 to -20c possibly more.

The Ford FG we did got down to -10c fluid temp on a 29c 100% humidity Sydney day again during winter this is only going to be colder.

Based on these factors alone, GM has provided the Holdens with satisfactory sized AC systems which does handle the chiller and cabin very well even on hot days, but other more expensive cars like a Merc or Jag will likely have even better results.

I hope this gives you a better understanding of how our system works and how it can be used in conjunction with your heat exchanger for circuit racing etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Nicholson View Post
    Got too noisy or shat shat itself?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Got too noisy or shat shat itself?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

All back together, I've got 500ml of coolant that came out and wouldn't fit back in, fortunately this time it's only from the radiator circuit, not the intercooler.

Amazing how a job is always faster the second time, about 6hrs in the end.

Just waiting for the tuna to get out of bed and send me the corrected tune.

WSID next Wednesday, 12.5 @ 115mph or GTFO

Edit

Just to be clear, the stock crank pulley is back on, smaller supercharger pulley is still on, factory double sided belt and ribbed idler back on, no more belt noise (i hope).
    Last edited by Jack Nicholson; 29-03-18 at 05:23 PM.

Well done Jack ! Might pop out to EC next week to say hi.

Quote Originally Posted by Potsy View Post
    Well done Jack ! Might pop out to EC next week to say hi.
    Cheers mate, let me know if you're coming, would be nice to see you again.
    Last edited by Jack Nicholson; 29-03-18 at 06:28 PM. Reason: speelling

This is a beautiful car in the flesh and has an awesome crisp bark to the exhaust. Bucket list car for me.
    Turns out, far too much has been written about great men and not nearly enough about morons

my neighbours called the cops...... not because of the sound of me working in the garage was too loud, but because i taped a cardboard box to my back, covered my self in vaseline and pretended i was a snail on their lawn

This is a beautiful car in the flesh and has an awesome crisp bark to the exhaust. Bucket list car for me.
    Cheers Jim, you made it home with your trailer load of shit okay?

Flashed the corrected tune this morning, but with double-demerits this weekend a road test doesn't seem worth the risk.

The coolant level dropped overnight and I got the last 500ml in with it just sitting under the min line when cold, so thank fuck I won't have to take it back for a vacuum bleed.

In related news, my mate with the 4.2 naturally aspirated XK came over today, put my old green XKR Bilsteins in his to replace the black ones that the XK has. His right front shock had an intermittent fault with the Damptronic, so free fix for him.

But what's more interesting is he fitted a 3.58:1 diff from a Lincoln LS last night, replacing the stock 3.31:1, and it seems to have given the car a bit more zing. And no fault codes, no limp mode, no reprogramming needed!

Hanging out to see what difference it makes to his 1/4 mile. Was $350 for a 2nd hand diff including delivery from the US, still an open centre though, but we may have found a Detroit Locker for $200, which may just fit it.

Interesting, I wonder if the 8" irs out of the Lincoln/Thunderbird accepts the gears etc from the old live axle 8".
    And is it a straight bolt in on the XK?

Interesting, I wonder if the 8" irs out of the Lincoln/Thunderbird accepts the gears etc from the old live axle 8".
    And is it a straight bolt in on the XK?
    8" from the Jags, LS and Thunderbird is not the same 8" from the olden days.

It's a weird thing with the ring gear having the same bolt pattern as the 8.8", but the gears are physically smaller (8" vs 8.8")

The 8" splines are the same as the 8.8", as is the width of the carrier, but instead of bolted bearing caps on both sides, only one side is bolted, which makes the housing casting much smaller & narrower, it also means that a regular 8.8" 28-spline LSD centre is physically too big to fit inside. Pain in the arse.

Name:  Gen2_Gen1.jpg
Views: 365
Size:  24.2 KB

But I found a Detroit Locker that should just replace the spider gears, I hope.

EDIT

Yes the 2003-2005 Lincoln LS and Thunderbird diff bolts straight in to the XK, not a single modification required.

Interdasting!
    Who makes the diffs? Are they Dana?
    Yeah made it home. It was filled so tight I’ve started calling it Mr Creosote

Interdasting!
    Who makes the diffs? Are they Dana?
    Yeah made it home. It was filled so tight I’ve started calling it Mr Creosote
    They were made by Visteon I think, but as far as I know that company was spun off by Ford ten years ago, the 8" is not used in any new cars, Jag switched to GKN Driveline for diffs and Ford doesn't built any DEW98 platform cars anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Justengt4 View Post
    top result...did you end up using the water wetter? still worth squeezing that in I reckon...my old GT4 (not the GT8) engine bay was a heat soaking bitch and the redline stuff really made a significant difference
    Alright, I bought the snake oil...

I'm holding you personally responsible for everything that happens to this car from now on...
    Last edited by Jack Nicholson; 31-03-18 at 06:31 PM.