Thread: Jaguar XKR Portfolio - the poor mans Aston

no mods, leave it stock Jack Nicholson's Avatar
    B̶e̶v̶e̶r̶l̶y̶ ̶H̶i̶l̶l̶s̶,̶ ̶C̶A̶ Baulkham Hills, NSW
    Quote Originally Posted by Sketchy View Post
    I actually like the tan interior.
    You're quite welcome to come over and help me clean it LOL
    Jaguar XJR, Freelander 2 HSE, Jaguar XKR

Quote Originally Posted by Marv View Post
    Look, just because you drive a couple of imported luxo Pommy cars doesn't mean you need to act like an Imperialistic Lapdog and be the last bastion of defence for Straya The Beaut's mid-20th-Century ideals
    Quote Originally Posted by nutttr View Post
    People must assume you are some sort of drug dealer with all these nice cars turning up to a fibro home

Epic garage is epic.

What a turnaround!!

Isn't the tan/grey interior supposed to be white????

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk

Cheers Seedy

Quote Originally Posted by PXL265 View Post
    Isn't the tan/grey interior supposed to be white????

Yeah, well ivory actually.

And after scrubbing the seats, that's the colour they are now.... almost...

can you tell where I cleaned?

Before

And after, well part way though.

Much betterer imho...

Look, just because you drive a couple of imported luxo Pommy cars doesn't mean you need to act like an Imperialistic Lapdog and be the last bastion of defence for Straya The Beaut's mid-20th-Century ideals
    People must assume you are some sort of drug dealer with all these nice cars turning up to a fibro home

It's coming up nice.

I will the same issues when I get back to Brisbane and have to clean the interior of the new euro wagon.

Coming up nice. I'm always amused when I see light coloured interiors, makes me wonder if someone thought about actually driving the car?

Jaguar XKR Portfolio - the poor mans Aston

All back together...

Much better with the charcoal carpet & clean seats.

While I had the seats out I fitted the bracket for the fire extinguisher to the driver's seat.

Need to find a 1KG one that doesn't look like arse.

While I had the interior apart I ran some extension cables from the back of the touchscreen to a more convenient location.

One for the reverse camera, one for the TV tuner, NFI what the third one is for yet, but hopefully something useful...

Made these up myself...

Reverse camera works, which is another surprise since that wasn't an option until the 2010MY cars...

Gave the back seats a clean too. Really stoked with how it's come up!

It's a real shame these ivory carpets are so skanky, they aren't available as new spares anymore, and when they were still available they were something ridiculous like $1000 each...

Last edited by Jack Nicholson; 30-07-17 at 06:11 PM.

Would a steam clean/carpet cleaner bring them back up?

Maybe, but that would depend on someone wanting them, not much demand for them in this country... I'm loathe to throw them out, but they take up a shitload of space...

I recon ivory carpet looks like arse anyway. Dark ftw.
    You could get the cases retrimmed I'd imagine?
    Turns out, far too much has been written about great men and not nearly enough about morons

Quote Originally Posted by seedyrom
    my neighbours called the cops...... not because of the sound of me working in the garage was too loud, but because i taped a cardboard box to my back, covered my self in vaseline and pretended i was a snail on their lawn

Looks heaps better with dark carpet.
    an easy fix is get a mate to drive in front of you at 60 then 80 then 100 and mark in on your speedo with some liquid paper.

Nice pick up.
    My Dad has one of these, they are nice cars.

Shit yeah son. A true gentleman.

The royal penis is clean tremolo's Avatar
    Strangely enough, I saw one of these today parked on the side of the road. Huge red calipers with the distinctive slots in the rotors.

It looks beautiful man - I can't believe how well the interior turned out. You obviously have an eye for details.
    Yes we Chemistry

Push it good
    What product did you use to clean/condition the seats?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    I recon ivory carpet looks like arse anyway. Dark ftw.
    You could get the cases retrimmed I'd imagine?
    Still a matter of finding someone who wants or needs new carpets though...

Quote Originally Posted by gtrboyy View Post
    Looks heaps better with dark carpet.
    Sure does, but actually I got the idea from the 2008MY cars, they had charcoal carpet with ivory seats.

I reckon the interior design dept at Jag had some colourblind people working there at some stage, ivory carpet WTF

Quote Originally Posted by Nugs View Post
    Nice pick up.
    My Dad has one of these, they are nice cars.
    Thanks. The same guy who has the Project 7?

Quote Originally Posted by Sebstar View Post
    Shit yeah son. A true gentleman.
    *tips hat*

Quote Originally Posted by tremolo View Post
    Strangely enough, I saw one of these today parked on the side of the road. Huge red calipers with the distinctive slots in the rotors.
    Yeah the brakes are attention getters that's for sure.

The Alcons could be optioned on the regular XKR as well, and there was a 2008 Portfolio (black paint with 5-spoke wheels) that had Alcons, so they aren't "that" rare...

Quote Originally Posted by lumpy View Post
    It looks beautiful man - I can't believe how well the interior turned out. You obviously have an eye for details.
    Thanks mate. This also means that I see every little defect and it pisses me off LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Spammy View Post
    What product did you use to clean/condition the seats?
    I couldn't find my leather cleaning kit (misplaced during the move) so I went to Supercheap and bought some Bowdens stuff, and another soft-bristle scrubbing brush. The Bowdens come in spray bottles. Spray on, let it soak for a bit, then scrub with the brush, wipe it with clean paper towel and repeat a couple of times until the dirt & shit is gone. Then the Bowdens conditioner, spray on and wipe with the a microfibre cloth.

But then last night I was digging through boxes trying to find something else I lost in the move, and found the leather kit LOL

I've ordered a colour-matched Scuffmaster kit to touch up the spots where it's got wear marks on the drivers seat bolster, apart from that one spot the seats are in good nick.

Chairbourn ranger! Mike Lowrrryyy's Avatar
    Knew you had something coming but missed this thread. Awesome man! I look forward to chopping you at WSID :P

Sorry I missed the other Saturday too. Things have/are hectick right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by S View Post
    I just want to apologise for some of my shit talking back around page 5.

Awesome ride. Keeping the other Jag as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Lowrrryyy View Post
    Knew you had something coming but missed this thread. Awesome man! I look forward to chopping you at WSID :P
    Thanks, it's no Lambo though, and don't forget the Lambo-dude that run a 13.4, you don't wanna be that guy LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Lowrrryyy View Post
    Sorry I missed the other Saturday too. Things have/are hectick right now.
    No worries, the little fella cracked the shits and we didn't stay long anyhow.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX19X View Post
    Awesome ride. Keeping the other Jag as well?
    Cheers. Yeah the other one is staying too.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Nicholson View Post

Thanks. The same guy who has the Project 7?
    Yep, the XKR is the daily, golf clubs don't really fit in the 7.
    Like i said good cars, he's had his since 2008 and had zero problems with it. But he doesn't do many kms.

Quote Originally Posted by Nugs View Post
    Yep, the XKR is the daily, golf clubs don't really fit in the 7.
    Like i said good cars, he's had his since 2008 and had zero problems with it. But he doesn't do many kms.
    Nice!

Haha you can barely get a tennis racket in the back of a convertible F-Type, let alone golf clubs... LOL

If your old man would be interested in adding the reverse camera or other stuff to his XKR I've got a mate in Perth with the same diagnostic equipment I have, can do the programming remotely, he also does the hands-on work if needed.

Cheers I'll let him know, but he generally doesn't fiddle with his cars. Weird I know.

Last edited by Marlin; 05-08-17 at 11:15 PM.

Jaguar XKR Portfolio - the poor mans Aston

Haven't had a chance to do much with this thing in the last few weeks, actually I think I drove it a total of four times this month, and two of those was to the airport and back.

Anyhow I tried to finish off the reverse camera this arvo but realised that I've got the wrong type of camera, so I've ordered another one from China, fuck wish I'd realised earlier, could have picked one up when I was there during the week...

Anyhow...

So I need a camera that doesn't have LEDs, which can be wired up to an ignition-switched 12V, so it's on all the time. With this one the LEDs would be on all the time, which isn't good...

Also swapped out the veneer on the centre console and around the touchscreen from the piano black pieces, to the engine spun aluminum, which matches the rest of the dash, and the trims on the doors.

My OCD has been appeased, now they all match...

NFI why they had piano black on the centre and the alloy trim everywhere else...

I'm still in two minds to do all the veneer in piano black, but the factory pieces are bullshit expensive, just the little pieces on the doors are $170 each...

Then the big pieces on the dash are $400 reach in piano black... fucken...

Also got some BMW Shadow Chrome touch up paint for the wheels, it's not a perfect match bit better than it was...
    Last edited by Jack Nicholson; 19-08-17 at 10:42 PM.

Oh and the Quaife LSD I ordered in the UK was built into a complete diff that I could just bolt in, but Quaife requested it go back to them for a "quality check" and I have NFI when my $3k investment is actually going to get here... awesome... /i

I hate when people drill boot lids for number plates rather than drilling the plate, especially on euros which already have holes for the number plates.
    I'm not a fan of piano black trim, seems to show every single mark. Love the turned stainless, one of the few trim finishes I prefer over wood.

I was convinced that it would look better with all the veneer in piano black, but the engine spun alloy looks better than I thought.

Yeah the number plate mounting is one of those little things that can look shit if not done properly, I use the mounting brackets from Lakin in Tasmania, it's heaps better than just screwing the plates on directly.

The interior looks like a car worth more than a new Aston. It looks to be really nice place.

Saw your post on the reversing cameras. So it's a video feed. The output is a RCA type connector so I assume PAL/NTSC sort of thing? Or am I making a Ass...

Quote Originally Posted by mizone View Post
    The interior looks like a car worth more than a new Aston. It looks to be really nice place.
    Thanks mate, it's getting there.

Quote Originally Posted by mizone View Post
    Saw your post on the reversing cameras. So it's a video feed. The output is a RCA type connector so I assume PAL/NTSC sort of thing? Or am I making a Ass...
    The video input to the touchscreen is just plain video, not even sure if it's NTSC or PAL to be honest, the cheap-ass China cameras have a universal output that does both. Yeah the video output from the camera is just an RCA, so if I could split that video signal, one goes to the touchscreen, one goes to the recorder..

I found a good solution for the front camera, turns out that the plastic shroud that goes around the rear view mirror in the XK is the same as the XF, and you can get "hidden" forward facing dashcams that replace that plastic shroud to suit an XF.

Last edited by Jack Nicholson; 20-08-17 at 12:12 PM.