Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Jaguar XKR Portfolio - the poor mans Aston

So jelly bud, this is sensational
    DJ's don't need sigs

Interior looks even better now.

Seriously one of my favourite cars on PF! Love ya work.

no mods, leave it stock Jack Nicholson's Avatar
    B̶e̶v̶e̶r̶l̶y̶ ̶H̶i̶l̶l̶s̶,̶ ̶C̶A̶ Baulkham Hills, NSW

Jaguar XKR Portfolio - the poor mans Aston

Another little detail sorted...

Before

After

That's just about it for the interior, I should get the service done this week, new tyres going on Monday, Michelin Pilot Sport 4S in 255/35R20 and 295/30R20.

Holy shit I have never paid so much for tyres in my life...
    Last edited by Jack Nicholson; 02-09-17 at 09:37 PM.
    Jaguar XJR, Freelander 2 HSE, Jaguar XKR

Quote Originally Posted by Marv View Post
    Look, just because you drive a couple of imported luxo Pommy cars doesn't mean you need to act like an Imperialistic Lapdog and be the last bastion of defence for Straya The Beaut's mid-20th-Century ideals
    Quote Originally Posted by nutttr View Post
    People must assume you are some sort of drug dealer with all these nice cars turning up to a fibro home

That looks good. Took me a while to pick it

Nice, I shudder to think how much it would cost to change the door cards and seats over to black. I reckon black headliner and lower door cards would look pretty good in this, but that would take $$ from making fasts which are much more important.

As an aside, saw previous model XF that someone had fitted a leaper on the bonnet, pretty sure I've seen an XK with a leaper as well. Not a fan.

That's a handy change. I like it. Looking great bud.
    DJ's don't need sigs

Former hairdresser Captain_Slow's Avatar
    Looks really good with the extra black bits. A bit too much beige before.

Quote Originally Posted by Bren View Post
    That looks good. Took me a while to pick it
    Subtle change but I think if you didn't notice it immediately, then it's exactly what I was hoping for.

Quote Originally Posted by irsa76 View Post
    Nice, I shudder to think how much it would cost to change the door cards and seats over to black. I reckon black headliner and lower door cards would look pretty good in this, but that would take $$ from making fasts which are much more important.
    The XKR-S had a black headliner, but holy shit that would be an expensive exercise... The door cards is not an option, the back seat quarter casings are matching so would need all four pieces from a donor car, which would be like winning lotto.

As an aside, saw previous model XF that someone had fitted a leaper on the bonnet, pretty sure I've seen an XK with a leaper as well. Not a fan.
    Leaper on an XK? Get the fuck outta here... although you probably saw an Arden XK, they do shit like that. Cunts even put a leaper on an F-Type...

Quote Originally Posted by I'm DJ! View Post
    That's a handy change. I like it. Looking great bud.
    It was a 10min job so I can always put the old one back in if need be.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain_Slow View Post
    Looks really good with the extra black bits. A bit too much beige before.
    Yeah I just needed to tone it down a bit. Was a beige overload before...

Before:

After:

I must admit I took my cues from the XJR with the red seats, the dark carpet & armrest, and the continuity of the veneer all being one finish, means that the seats and inserts on the doors are now the contrasting colour, rather than the charcoal being the contrast, if you know what I mean. The ivory is now a highlight instead of the overall colour scheme.

I should have been an interior designer...

Look, just because you drive a couple of imported luxo Pommy cars doesn't mean you need to act like an Imperialistic Lapdog and be the last bastion of defence for Straya The Beaut's mid-20th-Century ideals
    People must assume you are some sort of drug dealer with all these nice cars turning up to a fibro home

Jaguar XKR Portfolio - the poor mans Aston

Facelift LED taillights from the 2010MY onward are in. Man what a fucken job that is, and it's not even finished...

Aside from being LED and much more modern looking, there is another minor improvement, with the early lights there was only one reverse light, and one rear fog light, the round sections on the hatch lid. With the facelift both sides function as a white reverse light, or red fog light.

But for reasons unknown, Jag made a real mess of the wiring. The connectors on on the taillights are the same between old and new, but the pinouts are different. So I had to swap some pins around in the connectors.

The connectors in the inner fog/reverse lights are different completely, but you can buy a replacement harness that plugs in.

However... because these are LEDs, some additional relays and ballast resistors are needed to get everything working correctly and without errors on the dash.

A pair of relays have to be wired up to get the reverse and fog lights to function, and ballast resistors are needed for the indicators and brake lights.

A guy from one of the jaguar forums wrote a guide explaining all the wiring changes, but it was not very well written and I basically had to work it all out again from scratch using the wiring diagrams from the 2009 and the 2010..

Indicators, reverse and fog are fine now, but no matter what combination of resistors I haven't been able to get the error message for the brake lights to go away.

Relays fixed the fog and reverse. 6ohm 25W ballast on each rear indicator stopped the errors and fast ticking, but the brake lights are something else.

According to his guide, he used a 25ohm and a 10ohm in parallel, which so far as I know makes 7.14ohm

My 6ohm resistors measure 6.6 actually, but that doesn't fix it. In different combinations of 6.6, 13.2, 3.3, etc I still can't get the errors to go.

Have ordered some 8ohm 25W ballasts from eBay, hopefully that's close enough to his 7.14 to solve it...

Relays and ballast mounted, I'll try to tidy it up a bit better once the problem is solved.

Looking Great!

Beast

Chairbourn ranger! Mike Lowrrryyy's Avatar
    You clearly are a better man than me. I thought about updating the rear lights in the Lambo. After about 5 full minutes of exaustive research I thought yeah fuck that whatever.
    Quote Originally Posted by S View Post
    I just want to apologise for some of my shit talking back around page 5.

Must admit, about 5 hours in to the job I had similar thoughts myself...

Ah, the joys of LED conversions on Euros with can-bus and bulb check, well anything with bulb check really. We used to keep a incan bulb in the circuit to fool the bulb check on GE Mazda 626 sedans when we fitted boot spoilers with LED brake lights, after we covered the parcel shelf brake light. Have seen a few mentions of other people doing the same thing on other cars.
    At least you had luck with getting things to work with relays, it's abit hit and miss using relays for some things on the Citroen. Use them for the trailer harnes and you have a fried can-bus.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Lowrrryyy View Post
    You clearly are a better man than me. I thought about updating the rear lights in the Lambo. After about 5 full minutes of exaustive research I thought yeah fuck that whatever.
    LP570 conversion like http://www.titanmotorsports.com/tita...-gallardo.html ?

Hmmm, Sale Price $4,995.00 - Savings of $2,000.00, that's USD too, seems like good value.

I seriously love this car. Looking forward to going for a strap one day.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimi View Post
    80mm of penetration isn't bad, i wish i had that much.
    Quote Originally Posted by schnitzelburger View Post
    My entire working career pretty much consists of suckin dick and takin names.

Sometimes im too busy to take names.

Vagina Enthusiast
    Is the OCD in you looking for a solution to all the scratches in the chrome boot trim?

Has this run faster than the xjr yet?
    DJ's don't need sigs

China comes through with the goods
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2PCS...d-fa5bf531e9fe

Quote Originally Posted by Sketchy View Post
    I seriously love this car. Looking forward to going for a strap one day.
    Of course! Let me know when you're in town, we can make some smoke.

Quote Originally Posted by FUBAR View Post
    Is the OCD in you looking for a solution to all the scratches in the chrome boot trim?
    Oh you motherfucker. I have been trying to ignore that shit.

Quote Originally Posted by I'm DJ! View Post
    Has this run faster than the xjr yet?
    It's not hitting the track until the LSD is in, and i've given it the big service.

But supposedly they were good for a 12.9 @ 109 from the factory , maybe a 12.8 if you believe the internet, so it should be faster/quicker than the XJR, and then we start with exhaust, cats, tune, pulley, and see where it goes from there. I would really like to get it matching a stock 5.0L XKR, which is 12.2 @ 114. The 114 is no problem, but the 12.2 will be a challenge...

Quote Originally Posted by seedyrom View Post

Don't wanna jinx myself but seems the brake light faults have been fixed with 8ohm ballasts. Fitted version 4 of the reverse camera and it has the correct mirror image, but the picture is a bit washed out in the daylight, hopefully this means it's good in the dark, since that was my main need for the camera in the first place.

All back together again hopefully that's the last time I need to pull the boot and tailgate apart for a while.

Will start on the service tomorrow. should be fun...

Diff is scheduled to arrive sometime this week, still trying to get the bill for the customs duty out of DHL so I can pay it and then they can release it.

Today can only be described as slow progress....

New airfilters
    New MAFs
    New sparkplugs (Aston spec)
    New cabin filter

And that's taken near on 7 hours...

Yep, nosecone off to get to the MAFs. But you've gotta take the wheels and wheelarch liners to get to the airfilters, first.

Intake piping off to get to the sparkplugs...

I'm knackered and still got to do the belts, belt tensionioners, thermostat and coolant.

Fucken....

Reminds me of servicing my old similar-era Audi... front bar, reo and lights out just to do the water pump and timing belt. Life wouldn't be interesting without a challenge
    230SL 'Pagoda' | FC RX-7 Infini

Could be worse, could be a mid engine Fezza where you pretty much have to drop the whole drive train out the bottom to service it.

Yeah, well fuck the belts and tensioners, talking to my ex-JLR mate he reckons the workshop manual lies, and it's better to remove the radiator fan and the bonnet to change the belts and tensions/pulleys.

Since it's very likely I'll be changing the supercharger pulley, and probably the crank pulley in the next 6-12 months, they can wait. I'm not trying to take the bonnet of single handed.

Thermostat change was a good idea LOL

Rooted...

So I'm gonna start putting it all back together and hopefully go for a celebratory skid sometime before midnight...

Do these engine have the same timing chain issues that the early ones do?

Quote Originally Posted by BigJonWB View Post
    Do these engine have the same timing chain issues that the early ones do?
    Nope, it was the 4.0 and 3.2 up to 2002/2003 which had plastic tensioners, the 4.2, 3.5 (and 4.4 in the land Rovers) had metal tensioners. The fix for the old motors was to fit the metal tensioners from the new ones.

Tensioners I'm talking about today are the ones for the drive belts.

The brake ducts from the F-Type and XKR-S GT fit, which is nice...

Mechanical 'Tard Cliffordcliffs's Avatar
    Am impressed with how clean your garage floor is.
    "Beware the lollipop of mediocrity: lick it once and you'll suck forever" Brian Wilson