Page 9 of 26 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: Jaguar XKR Portfolio - the poor mans Aston

Sounds badass Jack. Since I'm not driving it I'll say you're a bit for saying it's too loud but I'd be exactly the same if it were my car

no mods, leave it stock Jack Nicholson's Avatar
    B̶e̶v̶e̶r̶l̶y̶ ̶H̶i̶l̶l̶s̶,̶ ̶C̶A̶ Baulkham Hills, NSW
    Well, I think I found why the active exhaust isn't working...

Jaguar XJR, Freelander 2 HSE, Jaguar XKR

Quote Originally Posted by Marv View Post
    Look, just because you drive a couple of imported luxo Pommy cars doesn't mean you need to act like an Imperialistic Lapdog and be the last bastion of defence for Straya The Beaut's mid-20th-Century ideals
    Quote Originally Posted by nutttr View Post
    People must assume you are some sort of drug dealer with all these nice cars turning up to a fibro home

Love finding the easy fix solutions especially ones that can be fixed on a Sunday

Jaguar XKR Portfolio - the poor mans Aston

Yep, easy fix is good, although I can be certain that I'm the one who fucking broke it, when we did the diff swap...

Just hope the vacuum pump hasn't worked itself to death...

It's nice to live 5min away from Autobarn.

performance fittings lol

Look, just because you drive a couple of imported luxo Pommy cars doesn't mean you need to act like an Imperialistic Lapdog and be the last bastion of defence for Straya The Beaut's mid-20th-Century ideals
    People must assume you are some sort of drug dealer with all these nice cars turning up to a fibro home

LOL, it works! Thank fuck...

Thought I posted this before, but seems I forgot, this is part of why it got so much louder...

OEM replacement

Well, it kind of is, sort of... it's basically a copy of the OEM exhaust from the 5.0L XKR-S.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010822.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	520.3 KB 
ID:	102566

Not exactly but close enough...

I think I will get the tune tweaked a little to adjust when the valves open/close, it's possible to change this in the tune.

This is how it is stock;

Name:  X150 XKR Active Exhaust.JPG
Views: 776
Size:  258.9 KB

As you move off from idle it roars and then goes quiet as the valves close above 1000rpm, so i'll just have them closed all the time below 3000rpm.

Or maybe 2500...

Man it's so much nicer to drive now with the exhaust working, it's just a nice rumble when you're cruising around, then screams when you've got your foot in it.
    Last edited by Jack Nicholson; 15-10-17 at 12:38 PM.

How offensive is it if you have the valves open on deacel? I'd imagine the popping and crackling would be pretty epic.

It's not F-Type level nasty on a trailing throttle with the stock tune, but we can fix that

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Nicholson View Post
    It's not F-Type level nasty on a trailing throttle with the stock tune, but we can fix that
    Thanks for the ride Jack.

Yeah I don't reckon that it's that offensive, but it is funny how the tune controlling the flaps opening or closing can make it sound equal parts incredible and equal parts arse at the same time.

Also, I don't know what it was like before that lsd but this fair hauls more than I ever expected it to. I've been in a few fast cars, fezzas, lambos, gtrs (supra's too but you can never get the power down), and this thing is seriously fast. Seat of the pants says it feels like a low to mid 12 car right now. And the sound! When's it go out?
    Last edited by I'm DJ!; 15-10-17 at 04:53 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by thebluerx7 View Post
    The fact they want to ban cash makes me want to go out and use it full time again now .

Cheers for stopping by Damo, good to catch up. That A6 is surprisingly nimble!

I don't this is anywhere near the mid to low 12's yet, high 12's maybe, it's still got the "stock" tune don't forget, well, stock apart from correcting the exhaust back pressure. Mid 12's will come eventually. The full house tune will go in once I get some stock numbers at the track now that the shit cats are gone.

Yeah definitely have to fix the open/close function to shut it up at idle. But it's already sounding way better than when the valves were permanently open though.

Haven't had a chance to do much with this thing, too busy working on other people's cars instead.

Thought I was seeing double yesterday, bloke brought over a 2008 XKR, which has some peculiar options on it. Has the Alcon brakes, and the alloy gearshift surround, same as the Portfolio.

The job yesterday was to retrofit DAB+ digital radio, same as mine, but this one being a 2008 it didn't have the same software in it as my 2009.

In the end I pulled the touchscreen out of mine and put it in his, and then put his screen in mine, and flashed it in my car, and it was updated to the correct version for 2009, with the extra features working correctly.

A lot of stuffing around, but he's very happy with the radio in his now...

Earlier in the week another chap came over with a 2010 XK, same thing, DAB+ digital radio retrofit, much easier in the 2010 was literally six mouseclicks to get it working.

Hopefully this Wednesday I can get down to race4real and get some better numbers.

I saw the black one on FB during the week, does look pretty tidy.

Haven't had a chance to do much with this thing, too busy working on other people's cars instead.

Thought I was seeing double yesterday, bloke brought over a 2008 XKR, which has some peculiar options on it. Has the Alcon brakes, and the alloy gearshift surround, same as the Portfolio.

The job yesterday was to retrofit DAB+ digital radio, same as mine, but this one being a 2008 it didn't have the same software in it as my 2009.

In the end I pulled the touchscreen out of mine and put it in his, and then put his screen in mine, and flashed it in my car, and it was updated to the correct version for 2009, with the extra features working correctly.

A lot of stuffing around, but he's very happy with the radio in his now...

Earlier in the week another chap came over with a 2010 XK, same thing, DAB+ digital radio retrofit, much easier in the 2010 was literally six mouseclicks to get it working.

Hopefully this Wednesday I can get down to race4real and get some better numbers.

Fucken thanks for the new sig

Actually had two dark-skinned gents in a new Range Rover Sport roll up here last week, may have raised an eyebrow or two

Chairbourn ranger! Mike Lowrrryyy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by S View Post
    I just want to apologise for some of my shit talking back around page 5.

Cheers for stopping by Damo, good to catch up. That A6 is surprisingly nimble!

I don't this is anywhere near the mid to low 12's yet, high 12's maybe, it's still got the "stock" tune don't forget, well, stock apart from correcting the exhaust back pressure. Mid 12's will come eventually. The full house tune will go in once I get some stock numbers at the track now that the shit cats are gone.

Yeah definitely have to fix the open/close function to shut it up at idle. But it's already sounding way better than when the valves were permanently open though.
    Hang on, that's the stock tune? Fuck me, it flies. Has uncle driven this? Lambo v jaaag will indeed be interesting!
    Quote Originally Posted by thebluerx7 View Post
    The fact they want to ban cash makes me want to go out and use it full time again now .

I guess one advantage of a jaaag or lambo is cops are unlikely to sting you for no cats. Running a 6 inch on the fd soon but straight pipe is cheaper. Might try to get a dicky run in this before i head off to Melbourne. Hopefully rx7 will be driving with intake/exhaust new diff and box so you can have a go.
    Last edited by Slides; 22-10-17 at 10:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Lowrrryyy View Post
    Same same yeah

Quote Originally Posted by I'm DJ! View Post
    Hang on, that's the stock tune? Fuck me, it flies. Has uncle driven this? Lambo v jaaag will indeed be interesting!
    Yeah that was a stock tune, there's plenty more in it yet, and that's before we start changing pulleys...

Quote Originally Posted by Slides View Post
    I guess one advantage of a jaaag or lambo is cops are unlikely to sting you for no cats. Running a 6 inch on the fd soon but straight pipe is cheaper. Might try to get a dicky run in this before i head off to Melbourne. Hopefully rx7 will be driving with intake/exhaust new diff and box so you can have a go.
    6" cat! You mean the OD of the centre section of the cat itself right, not the pipes coming in/out surely?

I had 400 cell cats put on this thing, was hoping that would be quieter than 100 cells but tbh it's was still louder than I hoped for... but at least they are cats and "legal" in that sense...

Touch wood I have never been pulled over in the XJR, even when I really should have been, like 80 in 60 zone on a double-demerits weekend at 9pm, cop with a hand held radar on the side of the road just kind of shrugged his shoulders as I went past... or 130+ on the Hume rolling past cop cars hiding in the bushes, nothing... i'm sure in a Falcodore i'd have been pulled over and cavity searched... I hope this XKR has the same immunity, but i kind of doubt it, it's definitely not sleeper like the XJR is...

Yeah man let me know when you're in town, will be good to catch up.

I can see this thread turning into a YouTube channel: JAG Garage

Former hairdresser Captain_Slow's Avatar
    I'd watch that.

Interesting to compare the mapping of the bimodal system to how the one in my SS seems to work. In mine there's a definite opening of the flaps above 3000rpm in most gears, but it also seems more dependent on large throttle percentages than Jag's programming. I can, say, be rolling along at 1500rpm in 5th and pin the throttle and it opens everything. Some of the best noise it makes is with lots of throttle up a hill at about 60km/h in 4th, 2000rpm or so.

Fucken thanks for the new sig

Actually had two dark-skinned gents in a new Range Rover Sport roll up here last week, may have raised an eyebrow or two
    lol! I'm honoured! But seriously... One day cops are gonna turn up for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by Captain_Slow View Post
    I'd watch that.

Interesting to compare the mapping of the bimodal system to how the one in my SS seems to work. In mine there's a definite opening of the flaps above 3000rpm in most gears, but it also seems more dependent on large throttle percentages than Jag's programming. I can, say, be rolling along at 1500rpm in 5th and pin the throttle and it opens everything. Some of the best noise it makes is with lots of throttle up a hill at about 60km/h in 4th, 2000rpm or so.
    I haven't got around to "fixing" the stock mapping yet, and after driving it a bit more I'm kind of in two minds about what to do and how to do it.

As it is now, with the valves open from idle, if you punch it from a standing start it pulls through the revs so quickly the valves don't actually get a chance to close, and it is full on anti-social, which is kind of cool as it turns out.

The problem was trying to drive normally with the valves open, it sounded a bit crap.

I'll see if I can get a couple of different versions done and test them back to back.

lol! I'm honoured! But seriously... One day cops are gonna turn up for sure!
    We'll see I guess, but I have a feeling that if they do show up here, it'll be because of my car, not the ones visiting...

Boring update, but kind of interesting at the same time. A new map DVD was waiting for me in the mailbox this evening.

A Volvo one. Wait, what? Volvo?

Yeah.

The maps provider in Australia is TomTom, formerly known as Whereis, not Navteq like the rest of the world, and the official newest Jaguar map disc to suit the X150 XK (and the X250 XF up to 2011MY) is from 2013. Same for the Land Rovers; Freelander2 to 2012MY, and the Disco 3 & RRS to 2009MY, latest update is 2013 (sold as 2014).

But, certain Volvo models use the same MMM2 navigation system, and the map discs are 100% compatible with the Jags. The Volvo version is the most up to date, being a 2017 version (map data from 2016).

Works perfectly. Same price as the Jag branded one which is 3 years out of date.

Thanks Volvo for not being tightarses!

This is more like it

2nd run back into 13's but the mph, WTF

Looks like it picked up nearly 3 mph from half track.

I think the heat might be causing a few issues

Time to look at bigger intercooler pump and a fan override.

If you are mostly looking for 400/1000m performance is it worth fitting another washer bottle with squirters on the heat exchanger. Easy do 20 seconds continuous.

The bigger pump, or putting in a 2nd one, is pretty standard.

I let it cool down a bit and then it did this

So the intercooler needs attention for sure

Nice.

Not sure it's in the spirit of the 12s for $1200 rules though.
    Quote Originally Posted by brewdles View Post
    In short, some cunt at test and tune had a 250cc honda turning to 11ty and it sounded porn. Do that.

I reckon your seeing timing drop. The Way your times and mph is varying, because in the runs where you 60 better your half track is down then bang more power and back half hard. Could also be belt slip?