Thread: Haltech ECU Data acquisition

Haltech ECU Data acquisition

Hi all,

I'm looking to purchase a Haltech Elite 1500 ECU with the intent to tune my engine for future modifications but also I am looking to use it as a means of logging data to improve lap times on the race track. I've downloaded Haltech Data Log Viewer for their ECU range and had a play around with their sample files. In my experience using Motec I2 I can't seem to find some features that I'd like to perform lap analysis.

Tl;Dr Specifically, I'm wondering if anyone knows how to overlay data traces and import a GPS track into Haltech's Data Log Viewer software, and divide it up into laps, like I2.

Cheers guys

Junior.

Just put a motec in. Poor man pays twice. Enjoy the incredible I2 software.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bosshoggett View Post
    If your planing to drive this on the road and enjoy it, id suggest a second opinion, someone with a history in Australian Rally or Fink River . If your just playing dyno comps. Then ok

May have stumbled onto a solution that doesn't involve buying a Motec.

The analysis software for Vbox, called Circuit Tools, is very nice, lets you compare lap data and video all on one screen. And the Racechrono app, which costs bugger all, can export data and video in a format that Circuit Tools can read. Racechrono appears to be able to accept auxiliary inputs (eg brake pressure, steering angle) as well as OBD. So no need to integrate with the data feed from the ECU, which means we could buy a Haltech and not be disadvantaged.

Has anyone used this combo? Have I missed anything?

Improved Production Racer Datman's Avatar
    Following with interest.... I'm tossing up between Motec & Haltech Elite for the race car.
    When the flag drops...............the bullshit stops!
    Go Hard..........or Go Home!

VW Amarok - Daily
    2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee (Limited) - Nopics
    2001 S15 - IPRA Build
    VE SS Redline Ute - SOLD
    SR20DET Powered IPRA Datsun Sunny = 400hp @ Wheels - SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by Datman View Post
    Following with interest.... I'm tossing up between Motec & Haltech Elite for the race car.
    Looking at your sig... Where did your Sunny come from?

there is no map tracking options at this time..
    im a cunt
    and apparently i dont know shit...

Buy a cheap Motec dash? The older ADL and CDL models are getting cheaper now that they've been superseded by the C125 etc

Race Chrono and Circuit Tools

This combination looks like it works, if you accept that it's OK to de-couple driver performance analysis from engine and chassis analysis.

I got a $170 Samsung 7 inch TAB A tablet on eBay, a $20 suction cup mount to stick it to the windscreen, and $25 for Race Chrono Pro, and took it to Winton for a Circuit Club track day.

Race Chrono can log position, speed, lateral and longitudinal G force, and dump it out into a format that Circuit Tools can read, allowing for a very visual analysis and comparison. While the granularity of the data wasn't as high as more expensive systems, it was good enough that we were able to easily compare Junior's best lap, and my best lap (which was 1.1 seconds slower) and quickly conclude that my testicles have shrunk with age.

The view of the Race Chrono data in Circuit tools lets you compare lap data in a graphical format. In the following example, we compare my approach to the fast left hand sweeper, and the data starts where the cross is in this picture:

I'm the blue line, and Junior is the red line. You can see that I've braked earlier, and Junior has kept the boot in, resulting in a higher entry speed:

There's a time difference analysis, called "Delta T", so you can see what your mistakes are costing you in lost time, relative to the best lap. In the pic below, the increasing gap between the red and blue lines show how much time I am losing relative to Junior.

In addition to analyzing the raw data, there's also the ability to shoot videos, either from the table or from an external camera like a Go-Pro, and overlay data, which would allow for more detailed comparisons, such as track position. I'll put up an example in this thread once I get it figured out.

In summary, this combo looks like good bang for your buck for reasonably detailed analysis of your laps.

Purist, whats that? Jason Broadhurst's Avatar
    Wow, yeah you really are a pussy in to fast left hand sweepers.
    Jason Broadhurst

Someone once asked me if they could use my mower. I said "sure, so long as it doesn't leave my yard"

Opens
    Karting is where you find this type of software and hardware cheap.

This is what I use and it has all of those features and many more. http://aimsportsystems.com.au/eng/pr...on5/index.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Jones View Post
    Sneakers prompted the erection. Engine stand made me do something with it

Quote Originally Posted by SugarDaddy View Post

This is what I use and it has all of those features and many more. http://aimsportsystems.com.au/eng/pr...on5/index.html
    Thatís an interesting idea SugarDaddy. Have you successfully run one of these units in a car? If so, how did you mount it? Thinking about the unit having good visibility of the sky from a kart steering wheel, but less so in the dash of a car.

Improved Production Racer Datman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sprinkles View Post
    Looking at your sig... Where did your Sunny come from?
    I bought the shell from Peter Maggs around 2004 ish. And built the car from there.
    When the flag drops...............the bullshit stops!
    Go Hard..........or Go Home!

VW Amarok - Daily
    2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee (Limited) - Nopics
    2001 S15 - IPRA Build
    VE SS Redline Ute - SOLD
    SR20DET Powered IPRA Datsun Sunny = 400hp @ Wheels - SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by SugarDaddy View Post

Any good kart forums to find that sort of stuff s/h?
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Quote Originally Posted by Gammaboy View Post
    Any good kart forums to find that sort of stuff s/h?
    kartbook.net

Quote Originally Posted by Datman View Post
    Motec. Their data acquisition and expandability is epic if you want to get into the data side of things.

I have tried to go down a similar route with a Wolf V550 (similar market to Haltech stuff) and then add separate data logging capability from something which does GPS mapping (Solo DL) and it is a real pain.

After a fair bit of research on both, It looks like we are going to get a MoTec M130. I think if it was a street or drag car the Haltec Elite 1500 would be the go.

Going to have to wait a couple of months though, MoTec doesn't currently read our combo of crank and cam trigger patterns, so they will need to write it for us.

what is your crank and cam combo?
    im a cunt

Quote Originally Posted by 10sec rx7 View Post
    what is your crank and cam combo?
    2-1-1 on the cam, looks like double missing teeth on the crank, if that makes sense.

What engine
    im a cunt

Quote Originally Posted by 10sec rx7 View Post
    What engine
    Suzuki M16A, ZC32S model

yeh ok haltech support that, they had there own R&D car..
    im a cunt

Good to know, thanks