Thread: Off Around Australia

Off Around Australia

Currently on our 3 1/2 month trip around Aus with the family. Using my Y62 which I've set up and towing a 23 foot Coromal Element 'offroad'. At the moment we are in Alice Springs having done central Queensland and down to Uluru. Now heading to the top end, then heading over to WA and down the coast. If you're along the way and want to catch up for a beer or have room for a 23 foot van in your yard for an evening, sing out. You can follow our adventures at https://www.facebook.com/thetravellingteachersandtribe/ to see where we are.

The customer.

I've always wanted to do this, I'd love to see some pics and hear some story's about your adventures.
    I am a retarded 747 captain who now sells waterslides in Perth.

Nice one. I'm on the big lap at the moment. Taking 6 months. Currently at Karumba up in the gulf. Enjoy! I highly recommend swimming with the whale sharks at Coral Bay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What sort of fuel economy are you getting?

Nice one.
    I recommend calling into Lancelin on your way into Perth, big sand dunes that the kids can blast down on hire sandboards. Also got the best wind if you wanted to try wind/ kite surfing.
    xw Falcon 393 full race cam, NGK spark plugs.

Awesome, will follow with interest. Planning something very similar in the next 2 years when the little guy is a bit older.

Fuck yeah, enjoy mate! What's the economy like tho?

It's a pity that you're a few weeks late for cracker night

Make sure you do an overnight at the Devils Marbels to see them at sunrise and sunset, or if you need a powered site do it at Wauchope / The Devils Marbels Hotel - not the Devils Marbels tourist park / Wycliffe Well

Unfortunately/fortunately they took the photo of BigJonWB from here down off the wall when they painted the place

Daly Waters is worth a look, but the roadhouse is nicer to stay at.

Mataranka thermal pools are OK but I actually prefer the ones down behind the caravan park in Katherine, they're often a bit less busy.

Stock up on grog before you leave Katherine, Kununurra is the only spot to get it between there and Derby/Broome

Try the rum at the distillery in Kununurra

Camballin Barrage is worth a night, bit out of the way and unfortunately getting a bit popular - place used to be unknown except for locals.

Have fun

Nice trip. I just got back from WA myself. Flew up to Exmouth and stayed at Warroora Station south of Coral Bay. It's a great beach camp. If you stay there make sure you bring fire wood and water as there's nothing there. No mobile reception either. The guys I met up with had a boat so made getting out to surf, snorkel and fish that bit easier. Here's a pic of the beach we camped on. If you want any more info drop me a PM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Gats View Post
    Fuel Economy - That's not a phrase a Y62 owner has heard in a long time.

Pain is temporary, quitting is forever - Lance Armstrong (drug cheat)

Fuck me, you're doing it in style. We did it a couple of years ago in 4 weeks in a non turbo diesel 1999 hilux dual cab and a tent lol

Make sure you go to El Questro at the eastern end of the Gibb and spend some time in Karijini NP (pilbara). Also Ningaloo it that's no doubt t on your list already!

Mad jealous!

take lots of pics and enjoy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Babalouie View Post
    Geez we're a bunch of softcocks...we have a 911 and we're obsessing over non-functional ducts and indicator colours

Quote Originally Posted by Gats View Post
    As mentioned in the other thread I'm averaging around 25 ish per 100. However I don't drive conservatively. I did a little test the other day and filled up a Tennant Creek and drove like a grey nomad for the next 60-70km, at which point I got the shits with sitting between 90-100kmph. in that time I got the fuel usage down to 22L/100 and it was still dropping. As i reset the fuel usage button at the servo and drove around Tennant Creek before heading north, I recon you could easily get down to 20L/100 driving like a grey nomad. This is with my van fully loaded and full water tanks.

I met a couple of other Y62 owners the other day, one who had a completely stock car towing a 2 tonne van from Sydney. He was getting between 18-19 all the way over the 6000km trip.

And on another note, I really hate useless grey nomad drivers. Some shouldn't have a licence. This bloke could have killed me the other day.
    https://www.facebook.com/thetravelli...1360948494138/
    The customer.

Registered User bigshipengine.jpg's Avatar
    When your in Darwin do the fish feeding at doctors Gully. Its right in town and pretty unique.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    It Places the lotion in the basket!