Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hydroforming

Registered User Mc Juicy Hairy Balls's Avatar
    Good for u fondler. U can sleep easy tonight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Because that's how you anneal aluminium? Red sooty oxy flame
    Mit freundlichen Gre

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Duckworth View Post
    "I think that in a racing engine, the closer it is to disintegrating, in general the better its performance will be "

Quote Originally Posted by Mc Juicy Hairy Balls View Post
    Good for u fondler. U can sleep easy tonight

Quote Originally Posted by doctor ed View Post
    Because that's how you anneal aluminium? Red sooty oxy flame
    warming that piece of 3mm ally is gunna form a lot easier given those dimensions than doing it cold.

but you lads seem to know better.

What just happened?? I was pointing out your peer reviewed justification as to oxy warming and how you should be glad.
    Which if we are to be fussy was meant to be annealing multiple times throughout the forming process not hitting the job with flame to heat it up in an effort to make it more pliable. But im overlooking that. Cheers for all the comments

Quote Originally Posted by Mc Juicy Hairy Balls View Post
    What just happened?? I was pointing out your peer reviewed justification as to oxy warming and how you should be glad.
    Which if we are to be fussy was meant to be annealing multiple times throughout the forming process not hitting the job with flame to heat it up in an effort to make it more pliable. But im overlooking that. Cheers for all the comments
    My bad, I got the wrong end of the stick.
    If not use a flame maybe use a high pressure doofa that uses hot water.

Heating a panel in contact with a pool of water ain't going to make said metal particularly warm nor bendy
    Mit freundlichen Gre

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Duckworth View Post
    "I think that in a racing engine, the closer it is to disintegrating, in general the better its performance will be "

The 2 things I would take into account is bend radius and grain direction... because you are forming a radius in all directions , its probably going to tear along the grain . putting the biggest radius you can on your forming dies will also help.

This space left blank Ben Wilson's Avatar
    I honestly don't think it's going to work, but I'd love for you to prove me wrong.
    Imagination is more important than knowledge.

How many parts do you want to make? Cause if it's only 2, I'd hammer form them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlin
    Chickens will slip under water in the cover of darkness like a seal team and FUCK YOU UP.

Quote Originally Posted by Fondles View Post
    Thats some cray cray shit right there, who would seriously suggest to heat the material with an oxy !
    They said not to heat a pressurised container with water in it. Thats not the same as heating up a bit of material without the pressurised canister behind it.
    #WHOTW award winner #blessed #susanalbumparty

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Ed View Post
    They said not to heat a pressurised container with water in it. Thats not the same as heating up a bit of material without the pressurised canister behind it.
    That's what I thought fondles ment. Sorry Fondles.
    Mmmmmmmmm beer.

Quote Originally Posted by ALLMTR View Post
    You had one fucking job, Imran. One. Now look, there's Flibberty Gibbets all up in here, seeing straight through your ruse. One. Fucking. Job!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Ed View Post
    I said give it some heat before giving it a blast, so this is bad same same heating it while pressurized ?

you is make my head all confused.

Try this setup but with the bolt holes on the very outer edge, not going through the ally. Then the sheets can pull towards the middle as it forms. Maybe.

Opens
    Good luck!

Here's a bit of John Skola doing some wrinkle rectification while pressurized, surprised there's nothing illicit nearby ...I'd expect it's only 1.6 wall stainless -

Here's some practical tips - and maybe some warnings.

http://www.eurospares.com/frame8.htm

I reckon you're going to have to stop and anneal two or three times through the process.
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

I can only get 5005 h34. Which is the softest. Which is rubbish. Which makes this idea suck. Im going to have to do it another way, maybe a press tool to bend a 90 degree lip all the way around. Like a big oblong dimple die

see if you can salvage some material from somewhere else like the centre of a aluminium roasting pan, or maybe a range rover bonnet that will give you a better grade than 5005. or talk to a metal spinner and ask them where they get their material from...

I'd do colin's idea of welding two flat sheets together, maybe 5-10cm bigger in all directions than you need.

Make 2 or 3 of the thing you posted a pic of in the first post and bolt them together for strength and depth (whatever is slightly deeper than you need).

Put a thick chunk of steel for it to sit on in a press (big press), put the alloy sheets in, then put your die contraption on top, and set the press say... 40mm above the top of your die.

As you pressurise the alloy it'll rise up and into the die, and because it's not held down at the edges it'll be free to get forced into the die without tearing.

I suggest a press because they're easily adjustable for the height you need and strong - you could probably make something similar/purpose built that might work better, and the setup will need refining, but I reckon it'll come closest to doing what you want.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Rollin; 04-08-17 at 06:47 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jmac
    But on seatbelts - I don't think they should be mandatory for adults, but for under 18s. I reckon make them mandatory up till then, and provide plenty of graphic evidence supporting their use to school age children, and then if they hit adulthood and don't choose to wear them, think of the future without these fucken idiots around...

So i went away and decided that a full on domed part wasnt really required. I figured just a nice radiused flange was the ticket.
    Did a bit of study on flow forming using an air hammer. Looks the goods in videos but i found an actual hammer was better in real life, maybe i need to increase the weight of the tool here to deliver a bigger blow? Anyway got some product churned out and im really happy with the result. Using annealed 5005 3mm sheet over a chip board former, why would u do anything else? Takes all of 10 mins each one.

Nice work, I pictured something much larger/deeper in your original post (was thinking sump size for some reason).

Edit: just reread your first post. Not sure how I had come to that conclusion when you'd posted dimensions.
    Last edited by garvice; 19-08-17 at 08:39 AM.

Cheers yea i might hit the former with a bigger radius with the router and try to make it deeper. The extra clearance that would provide would be helpful. But this is a great way to make tank ends etc.

Thats come up a treat, nice one.

Top work!

Nice one!
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlin
    Chickens will slip under water in the cover of darkness like a seal team and FUCK YOU UP.

Thanks chaps. Probably pretty straight forward sheetmetal work 101 but we all learning
    Better pic

Looks great. What are they?

Thats awesome, need to try it some time.

Quote Originally Posted by mrniceguy View Post
    Looks great. What are they?
    baking dishes

Quote Originally Posted by 9triton View Post
    baking dishes
    They are iceberg proof canoe's for little people?
    Mmmmmmmmm beer.

Quote Originally Posted by ALLMTR View Post
    You had one fucking job, Imran. One. Now look, there's Flibberty Gibbets all up in here, seeing straight through your ruse. One. Fucking. Job!