Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is it possible to build a 996 cup car (possibly turbo) road registered?

Mechanical 'Tard Cliffordcliffs's Avatar
    Being sensible would be not buying a Porsche at all. Fuck being sensible, I'm so over "maturity".

Am really sorry to hear about your Dad, that stuff can go pear shaped quick.
    "Beware the lollipop of mediocrity: lick it once and you'll suck forever" Brian Wilson

Quote Originally Posted by darkside View Post
    Mick,

I had the same dream at one point. Easiest way to achieve it as mentioned is a GT3. And modified/tracked 996 GT3's are relatively unloved. One sold for about 80k on my105 in the last 6 months. Was a road reg GT3 with cup doors, wing, bars etc. was a bargain imho and I was seriously tempted. Should have also bought Keenes 996 gt2 with sequential when it was for sale for $120k. Fuck.

There are a few of these GT3's out there and I reckon they will continue to sell for under 100k. Re your project, if you want a project, then go right ahead knowing, as per most car builds, you are going to hose a metric shit tonne of $ you will never see again. . There is no economic argument for it to be a good idea. Ever. But you can always try to convince yourself (and missus) otherwise. Porsches when they are right, are bomb proof. When they go wrong, get ya wallet out and expect eye watering bills. My advice. Stay NA. Trying to turbo an NA engine will financially ruin you. You would have to budget at least 50k for the engine build, then all the torque will prob shit transaxles so then add another 30k. As long as the engine in it is solid you are fine. Cup ars are designed to race for 12-24 hours. Street use and the odd track day won't bother them if you don't over rev. But again, get yer wallet out of the engine needs a refresh.

Surely you have learnt by now Mick, you are better off buying something as close as possible to the end result you want, rather than trying to turn a car into something it was never designed to be. It's a hiding to nothing.
    Cheers for the input mate you make far too much sense lol. It would probably just be a far cheaper and better idea to get a road going Porsche here like a 996 C4S and then a 996 or 997 cup car for track when i get back to Australia. I am finding myself saying for only £6-£8k more i could get a 996 Turbo over a C4S. Ah the slippery slope! A 996 turbo road car and separate GT3 cup for track would probably be pretty damn close to the ultimate now i think about it!

996 turbo, might make bringing it back worthwhile.

^ actually scrub that idea, i just checked and 996 Turbo's are up around the £50k mark. Must have been thinking about something else.

So i've decided fuck it i can't love a 996 with those headlights, i also want a wide body and a 996 C4S is similar money to a 997 C2S. So a 997 C2S it is, the favr it's a 3.8 is also a sweetener. I am budgeting ideally under $30k aud purchase price. Main idea right now is to buy a Carerra and use it here in Germany and import it home with the idea of keeping it.

Something like this. It's got a few miles on it, but not really excessive considering it's 12 years old. Any advice from Porsche aficionados in the know would be appreciated.

https://www.pistonheads.com/classifi...--2005/7507948
    Last edited by Sonicevo; 14-08-17 at 04:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliffordcliffs View Post
    Being sensible would be not buying a Porsche at all. Fuck being sensible, I'm so over "maturity".

Am really sorry to hear about your Dad, that stuff can go pear shaped quick.
    I hear you, i take calculated risks. Just how good my calculations are i don't know lol! But i'm still alive and having s pretty goid time so they csn't be too bad. Cheers Re: Dad, one of those things, shock has worn off but still it's pretty crap considering he has 't even retired yet (still working ffs - built a pretty awesome ozone technology manufacturing biz they are trying to sell). But my parents are eternal entepreneurs and just don't know when to accept it and cut their losses.

Just checking Sonic - you are aware that the C4S is AWD yea?
    Quote Originally Posted by doods189
    Will throw in around $3000 worth of reptiles and acc as part payment and maybe if partner let's me a 50in plasma 3d tv

If you can afford a 997 or a 996, buy a 997. The interior is better and yeah, I think they're better-looking cars.

The most dangerous risk of all - the risk of spending your life not doing what you want, on the bet you can buy yourself the freedom to do it later. - Randy Komisar.

^^^^ Yep. That's the sort of thing I was talking about. Any idea what it went for? Although I would want to have got a scan tool plugged into it and checked for over revs prior to handing over my hard earned. Doesn't look particularly loved. Makes me a little suspicious of its condition as if it was a good thing surely you would sell direct and maximise return.

Quote Originally Posted by Grunt View Post
    Just checking Sonic - you are aware that the C4S is AWD yea?
    Yes of course. But i'd prefer a RWD.

Very nice, would love to know the sale price.

Quote Originally Posted by darkside View Post
    ^^^^ Yep. That's the sort of thing I was talking about. Any idea what it went for? Although I would want to have got a scan tool plugged into it and checked for over revs prior to handing over my hard earned. Doesn't look particularly loved. Makes me a little suspicious of its condition as if it was a good thing surely you would sell direct and maximise return.
    You'd think so, but the only reason I saw it was a mate was selling his 308 GT4 at that auction and it is maintained to the very highest standard.

Not sure if the Porsche sold or not.
    The most dangerous risk of all - the risk of spending your life not doing what you want, on the bet you can buy yourself the freedom to do it later. - Randy Komisar.

^^^ Gotcha. Interesting way to sell a car. But I guess you reach a whole new market and may get that auction excitement and competition where people pay over the odds.

The Fez passed in at $85K. He wants $120K+.

Porsche 997 GT3 Cup Car
    $78,995
    Braeside, Victoria, Australia
    This beautifully prepared and maintained 997 2008 Cup Car has just had a strip and rebuild including:
    New Driveshafts,
    New muffler,
    New centre radiator,
    New brake discs and hats,
    Gearbox maintained,
    Wheels stripped and maintained.
    The car comes with three sets of rims with good tyres and a New set of wet tyres fitted.
    Complete with car cover, air spike, spare front bar and more...
    Without doubt the best presented and looked after 08 car available.

Cheers Cal yes i've seen that online, it is very nice. Wonder how long tho until both the engine and box need a freshen.

So anyway i've been in contact with numerous sellers in the UK both private and deslers and have narrowed in on 4 potentials.

There is one from a dealer:
    https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...e=Coupe&page=2
    It has everything going for it except it's a 2004 model. Has had the IMS bearing issue fixed with this and also clutch replaced only 2,000 miles ago: http://www.design911.co.uk/blog/inde...ical-bearings/
    It has fairly high mileage (altho with the recent IMS fix thats not so important) but i am worried about the perception of it being a very early 997 and therefore less valuable than say a 2007 model. I reckon i could get this car down to around the £24k mark so its pretty much the same price as this...

This is a 2007 model that looks really good, decently priced, alright kays but has not had the IMS done and has never had the clutch replaced so that is pretty much going to need to be done during my ownership. He's stubbornly refusing to negotiate saying he dropped from 26k to 24k recently:
    https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...onsored&page=1

What are the thoughts of the PF Porsche brains trust? Are my concerns unfounded with the perceived lesser value of an older 2004 model considering the IMS and clutch are recently sorted? Or should i go a newer model 2007 with lower kays and know that when the time comes i will have to fork out to fix the clutch and IMS myself?
    Last edited by Sonicevo; 31-08-17 at 05:26 AM.

Little engine that could. itsnotagsr's Avatar
    Buy a reputable supercharger kit for your C4S!
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower." - Mark Donahue Penske Porsche 917

"In Japan we no give fark for Subaru" - Trust Japan Technical Director
    (TM - AVENGE)

"You can never have enough power. I remember when we had Group B cars... THEN we had enough power!"
    Juha Kankkunen - Rally of Argentina '02

\/ \/ My motivation \/ \/ ALLMTR's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cal View Post
    Porsche 997 GT3 Cup Car
    $78,995
    This beautifully prepared and maintained 997 2008 Cup Car has just had a strip and rebuild including:
    New Driveshafts,
    New muffler,
    New centre radiator,
    Gearbox maintained,
    The car comes with three sets of rims with good tyres and a New set of wet tyres fitted.

I need this and some Velcro for the number plates on my 996
    1jz Rolla Van ....... 10.5 at 134mph

"Reacher figured if he could put that drivetrain in some battered old sedan body, then that would be his kind of car"

Quote Originally Posted by Cal View Post
    Porsche 997 GT3 Cup Car
    $78,995
    New Driveshafts,
    New muffler,
    New centre radiator,
    Gearbox maintained,

Linky please sir
    DJ's don't need sigs

I went to a cars and coffee in LA a few months ago and a 997 cup car drove in, fully registered. The guy bought a wrecked 997 and a cup car and basically put them together. It had a carbon roof, full cage, stripped interior, air jacks... basically a cup car for the street! Insane!

^ mate that is exactly what i was suggesting when i started this thread, but 996 and more of a custom body.

Chairbourn ranger! Mike Lowrrryyy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mph View Post
    I went to a cars and coffee in LA a few months ago and a 997 cup car drove in, fully registered. The guy bought a wrecked 997 and a cup car and basically put them together. It had a carbon roof, full cage, stripped interior, air jacks... basically a cup car for the street! Insane!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonicevo View Post
    ^ mate that is exactly what i was suggesting when i started this thread, but 996 and more of a custom body.
    We all know that is what you’re talking about.

You _can_ build anything. You can even build it here. Its just the first time you get stopped for an “RBT” you’ll need a tow truck.

\/ \/ My motivation \/ \/ ALLMTR's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mph View Post
    Every time I'd get fuel, it'd be up on the air jacks
    1jz Rolla Van ....... 10.5 at 134mph

"Reacher figured if he could put that drivetrain in some battered old sedan body, then that would be his kind of car"

Someone got the plates off a wreck and stuck them on a cup car and got a dodgy rego.....

Definitely not going to stand up in court when you kill someone or crash it badly.

^ or you could go to the expense and use the road car chassis which is what i was suggesting. Many cup car parts are road legal on GT3 Porsches so really apart from the cage and exhaust i can't see what is so illegal about doing it?

Again, I don't know what the roads are like where OP is, but I have GT3 coilovers and some other things & it's awful to drive on anything but silky-smooth tarmac.

^ I have had a daily driven evo 9 half caged with Mca coilovers and 15/13kg springs (fucking stiff circuit setup) 3.5 neg camber on front wheels driving on rspecs and squeaky as fuck brakes and it didn't phase me. It wouldn't be a grand tourer... If i was going to build this car the street rego would be just really testing and the odd sunday drive or weeknight meet, more convenience than anything but its also the point of the project too, to prove it can be done.

I will start another thread in the street cars section given i've decided to go for a 997 C2S so really this frankencupcar project isn't in my forseeable future. I'm not going to chop up a perfectly good 997 C2S and have decided i'll do something else to tickle my track/race itch, either with the m3 or maybe something else, but likely PT or Pulsar series.

I would still love to do it one day but we will see what happens. I hope the debate continues here and i really hope somebody does it.

they rally cup cars in europe so i assume there is some suspension trickery you can do to make it livable on rougher roads?
    i'd probably be using road car GT3 suspension if it's viable?

Screaming banshee
    ^ I have had a daily driven evo 9 half caged with Mca coilovers and 15/13kg springs (fucking stiff circuit setup) 3.5 neg camber on front wheels driving on rspecs and squeaky as fuck brakes and it didn't phase me. .
    Fwiw the MCA coilovers on my 86 are better on bumpy roads than the GT4 coilovers and the GT4 coilovers are a fuckload more streetable than anything pre 9X1 or with 'Cup' in their name. Don't discount the damper wizardry Murray is capable of (yes, he does do coilovers of 911's/caysters as well so you can go that route as well)
    Last edited by IMOA; 01-09-17 at 10:38 AM.