Thread: Dashcam-type video recorder for car

B̶e̶v̶e̶r̶l̶y̶ ̶H̶i̶l̶l̶s̶,̶ ̶C̶A̶ Baulkham Hills, NSW

Dashcam-type video recorder for car

Been trying to finish the reverse camera install in the new Jag today and I hit a bit of a snag, I need to have the camera permanently on, from an ignition-switched 12V supply.

Long story but that's the way the factory camera functions in the touchscreen of the car, it keeps displaying the picture even once you shift out of reverse, it goes away once you get above a certain speed.

Anyhow this got me thinking, if the camera has to be turned on all the time, why not connect a recorder to it? A 2 birds with one stone solution to a rear facing dashcam.

Problem is I haven't been able to find a standalone recorder that will accept a video input, and record to an SD card, with timestamp, loop recording, etc.

Does anyone know of such a device?
    Jaguar XJR, Freelander 2 HSE, Jaguar XKR

Quote Originally Posted by Marv View Post
    Look, just because you drive a couple of imported luxo Pommy cars doesn't mean you need to act like an Imperialistic Lapdog and be the last bastion of defence for Straya The Beaut's mid-20th-Century ideals

It's possible some of the DVRs sold for drones may have that option - have a trawl through Banggood?
    ---
    Shed Project: 1994 Laser Lynx with BP-T

Is the camera feed going into the cars systems or a video feed into the entertainment head unit?

Ex Boss was a CAN Bus guru (Ford Ericsson something something) and I asked him a similar question about using my Chryslers rear reversing and front black box front cameras to feed in to the inbuilt USB.

Too much of a head fuck was the conclusion.

Of interest, his Dashcams were all cheapo Kogan units. Something better than nothing philosophy.

The output from the camera is just a plain old video signal ~1V on an RCA, I made an adaptor cable to convert from RCA to Fakra, which is the video input plug on the back of the touchscreen. No CANbus or any other wacky shit, just plain video. To be honest i'm not even sure if it's NTSC or PAL, the Chinabay cameras have a "universal" video output that does both, somehow...

So all this recorder needs is an RCA video input, and to continuously record, say 3min clip length, whenever it's got power (would be ignition-switched 12V), once the memory is full, it wipes over the oldest recording.

Look, just because you drive a couple of imported luxo Pommy cars doesn't mean you need to act like an Imperialistic Lapdog and be the last bastion of defence for Straya The Beaut's mid-20th-Century ideals

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Nicholson View Post
    So all this recorder needs is an RCA video input, and to continuously record, say 3min clip length, whenever it's got power (would be ignition-switched 12V), once the memory is full, it wipes over the oldest recording.
    So 1 X RCR to 1X RCA with your fakra connector spliced in won't work?

Yes, simple recorder that takes a RCA input and records to SD or USB is all you need. Maybe a Gumtree cam-corder tucked up in the C pillar might do the job for testing until you can dig up a Chinabay SD recorder. Power from the boot light hot wire, if it's got enough current to run it.

On the topic of RCA signals, IIRC it's PAL, NTSC and SECAM. Jag hopefully is PAL but I suppose SECAM isn't out of the question.

Would help if I knew to search for "DVR" hahaha

Yeah that first one looks kinda right. This one looks interesting too https://www.aliexpress.com/item/OwlC...812156234.html

for the sake of 20 greenbacks its worthwhile grabbing one and have a fiddle !!

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Nicholson View Post
    Would help if I knew to search for "DVR" hahaha
    No comment :-)

Well shit, I never claimed to know everything.

Gonna get one of those cheapo ones, as the Fondler said, it's worth a punt at that price.