Thread: Those little D class amps - Clarion etc

Those little D class amps - Clarion etc

Are they any good? They seem to have tiny power cables. I know they're efficient etc but I am basically 90s old school when it comes to car stereos.

I am looking to drive some pretty high sensitivity 6.5" splits up front, and throw as much power as I can to a compact, sealed 10" sub - in a Landcruiser Sahara. I am not some crazed car audio SQ guy nor does it need to win any sound comps - but I would like some punch. The factory Toyota system is bloody woeful... I've never driven splits off more modern 45wx4 double din decks either so have no concept as to how they'd cope without an amp (was pondering whether I just throw a Class D monoblock amp and sub in it for example)

They're cheap and small, what gives?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/CLARION-XC2510-MICRO-SIZE-5-4-3-CHANNEL-CLASS-D-AMPLIFIER-/142170953256?hash=item211a0c9628:g:Y-wAAOSwSzRZT83S

cheers
    ----------------------------------------
    1965 Valiant AP6 Regal Safari 318, 1977 Chrysler Charger 265 - SOLD
    Web design and development on the South Coast of NSW - PF discounts, pm me

I would find a 4ch amp that you can bridge one channel or a 3ch amp. That is just the guts of a head deck with a 100w amp strapped to it.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Kicker-ZX....c100009.m1982

That is a 5ch I just saw looking at your link with a mini dsp or what ever it's called you could bi amp the splits.
    Last edited by Rdyno; 23-08-17 at 02:52 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord_fahrquhar View Post
    The au put the fucking tunnel in with the bullbar. Even Chuck Norris respects the ability of the au coon.

Would make a suggestion to go slightly more if you have the space...

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Pioneer-G...-/282174212628 - less 20% with the fathers day code at the moment.
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Phoenix-G...S/172533946933 - Yes class A/B and physically bigger but a nice buy @ that price. Alternatively you could go for the little brother Z300.4 also.

Do you have the splits already? Specs of those and the sub?

--edit--
    The Clarion XC's look alright as far as power goes, here's a review with measured outputs -
    http://www.pasmag.com/car-audio/test...plifier-review
    Last edited by Lonx; 23-08-17 at 03:05 PM.
    PF Gamers List

Quote Originally Posted by klampykixx
    if a motor has big enough injectors to run say, 7psi but only just starts to max out right on rev limit, will it run more boost lower in the revs without maxing out if you lower the rev limit?

Hey Lonx,

Thanks. Yeah I read that Pasmag article and it was more positive than I expected - hence consulting the PF brains trust.

Re splits & sub, I was happy with consumer grade Pioneer stuff. It's just a family car really...

This was a package I thought seemed like reasonable value. I liked the compact sub that can hide in the cargo area, and generally I like sealed subs over louder, boomy ported arrangements.
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Pioneer-T...4AAOSwrDBZb1bg

I was just going to run the splits, and bridged to sub, per every install I've had for 20+ years hehe, but the small amps have my attention. One thing I wonder was if they offered any quality improvements over the older tech.
    ----------------------------------------
    1965 Valiant AP6 Regal Safari 318, 1977 Chrysler Charger 265 - SOLD
    Web design and development on the South Coast of NSW - PF discounts, pm me

I guess the usual promises from Class D are less heat, smaller and decent power but can often come at the expense of a higher noise floor, distortion at lower levels than the others. You also generally won't get 'double' the power with a Class D with lower ohms on some amps such as the Alpine PDX-V9. I've got one of these and they're also generally underrated and pack a decent punch for their price, mine had a birth cert of 4x135W 1x578W. Can't complain with that in a generally small package.

Past this, I'm no expert but just absorbed a lot by reading (and no doubt some incorrect assumptions here or there!)
    PF Gamers List

if a motor has big enough injectors to run say, 7psi but only just starts to max out right on rev limit, will it run more boost lower in the revs without maxing out if you lower the rev limit?

To properly judge power of an amplifier you need to have power output at 0.01% THD then output at 1% THD lots of cheap gear displays max output at 10% THD without mentioning the THD.
    The au put the fucking tunnel in with the bullbar. Even Chuck Norris respects the ability of the au coon.

Quote Originally Posted by rdyno View Post
    to properly judge power of an amplifier you need to have power output at 0.01% thd then output at 1% thd lots of cheap gear displays max output at 10% thd without mentioning the thd.
    k.
    Dirty Subaru owner

Quote Originally Posted by Rdyno View Post
    To properly judge power of an amplifier you need to have power output at 0.01% THD then output at 1% THD lots of cheap gear displays max output at 10% THD without mentioning the THD.
    If the THD is not mentioned how do you know it is 10% ?

My amps are rated at <1% THD+N, is that good or bad ?

You wont hear 1% THD on a sub amp in a car. usually the sub itself with be distorting more than this anyway.
    mids tweets - maybe you can tell. on a better install on good gear you should be able to hear it.

so try to leave some headroom of power for mids and tweets, but flog your sub amps
    "And I know that arseholes grow on trees but I'm here to trim the leaves" Peeping Tom, Mike Patton

Quote Originally Posted by Fondles View Post
    If the THD is not mentioned how do you know it is 10% ?

My amps are rated at <1% THD+N, is that good or bad ?
    Because luckily there is some people on the net that aren't total fuckwits like you and they post test data of gear they have bought that they tested with their own test equipment.

Because luckily there is some people on the net that aren't total fuckwits like you and they post test data of gear they have bought that they tested with their own test equipment.
    Ahhh you took a while to reply, had to get some cans down ya throat did ya to come up with ya snarly reply to an innocent and civil question.

You are very predictable.

Quote Originally Posted by Fondles View Post
    Ahhh you took a while to reply, had to get some cans down ya throat did ya to come up with ya snarly reply to an innocent and civil question.

You are very predictable.
    Well I thought with all your stereo gear you have you should know the answer and were having a crack at me.

If you want to know most amps power supply will indicate what they will actually do. So look at a fair priced amp if it displays a 1% THD figure use that as a rough base to determine if another company is telling lies. You cant do it when comparing an A/B to a D class but D to D and A/B to A/B it is good for a rough guide.
    Last edited by Rdyno; 23-08-17 at 08:39 PM.

Just for those that don't know 10% THD is when you turn something up and it just sounds distorted and shit usually speakers don't distort that bad until they are coil taping or if you really set your gear up wrong clipping.

Just think when your at the movies and the THX sound test comes on and it keeps going and you think wow it's because it never go's that far over 1% THD and most people with shit home cinema could never turn their system up max. Ever notice that how you never can max your gear out well the top end stuff you can.
    Last edited by Rdyno; 23-08-17 at 08:44 PM.

Just for those that don't know 10% THD is when you turn something up and it just sounds distorted and shit usually speakers don't distort that bad until they are coil taping or if you really set your gear up wrong clipping..
    So, explain the q point to me. Also, does QTS change with the age of a speaker?

Quote Originally Posted by mizone View Post
    So, explain the q point to me. Also, does QTS change with the age of a speaker?
    I don't know enough about q to type anything I do have a minor understanding. I actually have the loudspeaker cookbook at home, understanding the Thiele Small parameters of speakers is quite hard for me as I'm deficient in algebra and mathematics.

I just sold a polk class D, PAD4004 IIRC. tiny and plenty of grunt.

B

I don't know enough about q to type anything I do have a minor understanding. I actually have the loudspeaker cookbook at home, understanding the Thiele Small parameters of speakers is quite hard for me as I'm deficient in algebra and mathematics.
    Hmm, mizone turns turns to bookshelf.

I recommend these before answering any more threads on electronic theory.

Also I highly recommend Bell if your going to discuss amps.

tell us more about them 1001 Beers.

BOOSTFARKIN
    Iv got some pioneer d class amps in the pajero and been in for some time (2 years).
    Mated with a set of polk Audio 6.5 splits and 12inch sub.

Was able to stuff them under the front seats no problems.

Although not what I would call the ideal set-up as I'm using oem hu on the speaker outputs for driving the amps.
    I'm of 2 minds to upgrade hu and lose some of oem integration for slightly better sound quality.
    But have found unless you have the sound very low I can hear a bit of noise the system is excellent and very happy with how it sounds.
    And still has oem integration of oem reversing camera

Rydno, do you want a voucher for BWS mate?
    PF Gamers List

Quote Originally Posted by Morcs View Post
    I'm of 2 minds to upgrade hu and lose some of oem integration for slightly better sound quality.
    To throw another idea someone loosely mentioned here (and I'll vouch for their stuff too), something from https://www.minidsp.com to clean up the sound quality. You can use one of their modules for the whole shabang before it hits your amp. Applying an aggregated delay to the front splits compared to the sub (somewhere around 8-12ms in a Paj? Plenty of calculators out there) which would tighten the sound a lot. You can also control the crossovers and any gain/loss control a little more accurately from them.
    PF Gamers List

nothing to calculate with the minidsp, from memory you can select milliseconds or centimetres for delay. dont bother getting one without knowing how to EQ and getting a microphone.

factory head units these days often have big equalisation going on (to "fix" there cheap speakers etc), so you need to correct that if you change speakers amps etc.
    "And I know that arseholes grow on trees but I'm here to trim the leaves" Peeping Tom, Mike Patton

OT... Just saw that minidsp have released some all in one car units. Where were these 2 years ago? lol.... (/me looks at his minidsp, power supply, usb hub and small stack of dacs)
    PF Gamers List

BOOSTFARKIN
    Quote Originally Posted by Lonx View Post
    To throw another idea someone loosely mentioned here (and I'll vouch for their stuff too), something from https://www.minidsp.com to clean up the sound quality. You can use one of their modules for the whole shabang before it hits your amp. Applying an aggregated delay to the front splits compared to the sub (somewhere around 8-12ms in a Paj? Plenty of calculators out there) which would tighten the sound a lot. You can also control the crossovers and any gain/loss control a little more accurately from them.
    Thanks heaps for that
    I will be ordering one asap might even chuck another 2 ch amp for the rears in and run another set of speaker wires to the fronts for tweeters whilst im at it.

Just not enough control on the oem hu for my liking and it sounded crap with oem speakers.

Quote Originally Posted by Morcs View Post
    Thanks heaps for that
    I will be ordering one asap might even chuck another 2 ch amp for the rears in and run another set of speaker wires to the fronts for tweeters whilst im at it.

Just not enough control on the oem hu for my liking and it sounded crap with oem speakers.
    No probs. I have a UMIK-1 calibrated microwave as well to help measure the filters to apply to the MiniDSP which u can borrow later when you have it setup if you like.
    PF Gamers List