Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2018 Harley Davidsons

2018 Harley Davidsons

For the last 6 months or so there has been a lot of rumours about what HD are going to do in 2018, more stringent environmental acts to meet, changes in demographic with an aging customer base and bikes that are still considered 1950's technology. HD let the cat out of the bag today and IMO fucked the pooch royally.

Cliffs

Twin cam engine is dead, all "big twins" are powered via milwakee 8 engines from 107ci to 117ci depending on spec
    big twins all share the same frame and basic geometry (this is where they fucked up!)
    the Dyna designation is now dead
    All big twins are now "softails"
    Rear shock under the seat.
    65% stiffer than softail frame
    91% stiffer than dyna frame
    15-20% lighter frame than softail.
    touring style front suspension

In other models, the Vrod is discontinued, no other changes to the sportsters besides a new colour and no changes really to the street "XG" designation.

RIP the Dyna and RIP the twin cam.

http://www.cycleworld.com/2018-harle...softail-lineup

https://motorcycles.harley-davidson....8/softail.html

For me, the pick of the bunch is the Fat Bob 114ci.

So they consolidated the dyna/softails range?
    XG and Sportsters are for millennials and "new to the brand" guys anyway.

Everyone would have gone batshit if they had called them Dynas instead.

yep, so it's all the same frame in a softail-esque hardtail look.

They kept the streetbob, fatbob and lowrider from the dyna range names, but they use this single frame design across the range.

The evo based sporty engine is nearing 30 years old now. All it's had is fuel injection in 2007 and has stayed the same. incredible lol.

I must be getting old because these new touring bikes look fucking awesome to me

Cannot believe they've killed off the Dyna's. Something about the 2018 Softail's makes them look more and more like a Japanese cruiser, starting to look tacky...

Never considered a Harley in my life, but that Fat Bob is damn tempting.

I should have got one of the 2017 Dynas...

Oh well, I'll stick with my dirty old ironhead
    Quote Originally Posted by choppo View Post
    Looking forward videos of OP doing the chicken dance in drag with bananas up the arse and other fruit around the face in gay hypnotherapist rape dungeon

I reckon they look awesome.

Little engine that could. itsnotagsr's Avatar
    WLA for life.
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower." - Mark Donahue Penske Porsche 917

"In Japan we no give fark for Subaru" - Trust Japan Technical Director
    (TM - AVENGE)

"You can never have enough power. I remember when we had Group B cars... THEN we had enough power!"
    Juha Kankkunen - Rally of Argentina '02

Reckon my Evo Springer just jumped up in value :-)

Quote Originally Posted by itsnotagsr View Post
    WLA for life.
    with ya , brother

Quote Originally Posted by brasher View Post
    I must be getting old because these new touring bikes look fucking awesome to me

Haha yeah me too. Have a mate that loves them which I always had hung shit on. Now I'm thinking one would be ok to have as a second bike. New CVO's I read only make 95hp and 115 ftlbs. They jump up in power easy with little mods.

Hot bike dyno tested the 117ci with 93hp

That's stock exhaust/intake so will make well approx 105 "stage 1"

I thought it would make a lot more than that. But epa compliant cam and low compression won't help.

http://www.hotbikeweb.com/2018-harle...src=SOC&dom=fb

As a non Harley guy I'm surprised they killed off the Vrod..

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Tow car/camping bus: 2011 D40 Navara ST

Baby mobile: 2016 Nissan Qashqai

75 Mini Clubman club racer - DCOE powah

I'm really disappointed with the new Breakout. It's lost something in the looks in my opinion. The former Dyna nameplates do look quite nice though.

apparently the milwaukee motor is slow and gay?

dudes got it dialled again

Last edited by FioriGuy; 28-08-17 at 07:54 AM.

It's like he tapped into my brain and put it into a video!

This is also a good vid from shade tree surgeon

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6JsBZVo1q3Y

\/ \/ My motivation \/ \/ ALLMTR's Avatar
    1jz Rolla Van ....... 10.5 at 134mph

"Reacher figured if he could put that drivetrain in some battered old sedan body, then that would be his kind of car"

Happy to keep my Vrod thanks

Quote Originally Posted by R34 View Post
    Happy to keep my Vrod thanks
    Been keeping an eye on the prices of NRS and Muscles as a mate has asked me to move his for him, going for some big $$$ especially in Sydney, home of the swederod.

I wouldn't be surprised if I shifted it for the same price he payed for it 3 years ago.

Today I got to take the 114ci Fatbob for an extended test ride. I was only planning to have a look at them in the flesh and maybe have a sit on one for something to do today. Instead I was thrown the keys and told take as long as you like.... and that's exactly what I did.

First things first, the big one... the looks. You either love the look of this bike or hate it. I on the "hate" side of the fence until I saw it in the flesh. The 2 big detractors are the hiddeous ADR compliant licence plate brackets (think Diavel style wrap around off the swingarm) and the gaudy gold pipes. I think HD are trying to replicate heat soaked Stainless here for a bit of contrast but it just looks naff in the flesh. All black would have been a much better option. But then again who keeps the stock exhaust.

The tank is noticeably smaller, thinner and suits the bike quite well. Mileage on one of these things once tuned properly will be pretty dismal I imagine, but I digress. Switchgear is nothing really new. The dash is a mixture of analogue tach and digital speedo. It's in a better position than the FXDLS that's for sure, but I did have some issues seeing the speed in direct sunlight.

Hopping on the bike in the carpark, first thing that comes to mind is this thing is a) short and b) light! It really surprised me how compact the bike felt. You cant see the front fender/wheel from the seated position so you get a bit of a sports bike position to it. Hitting the starter you are met with what is honestly a joke for an exhaust note. I've farted louder than this thing at 1500rpm. What I can tell you though is this M8 engine is so smooth I checked numerous times at the lights to make sure it was still idling via the tacho. The bike is robbed of it's heritage and soul a bit this idle.

First impressions after leaving the dealership are quick to come to fruition, these "forward" controls are completely wrong for this bike and holy shit is this thing nimble. I also noticed the stock seat is an absolute masterpiece. You wouldn't change it even if you had sultan of Brunei type money it's that good! So far so good!

Getting out of inner Sydney traffic and onto the first bit of open space I give the right hand a twist, compared to the 110ci twin cam this engine is so refined and smooth it's amazing. Torque builds super early but dithers out just as quick, it feels strangled and begs for an exhaust and tune. After 3500rpm the torque is diminishing but snicking up another gear you get another surge of grunt. The gearbag is real nice to use. A different Clunk from my Dyna but a re-assuring "snick" every upshift I made. The clutch is also super light. I was able to "1 finger" it for a while but 2 fingers is enough. I will note I had a lot of issues getting this bike into neutral particularly at the end of the ride, I was the first person to put any serious Km's onto it so it's still probably bedding in and could do with an adjustment at the ramp.

The big question you are probably asking "is this as fast as a stage 1 low Rider S?"..... Honestly I would have to say no, but it would be VERY close in a drag race. Remember this is a 100% stock standard bike with literally 40km's on it. Give this bike a good 2-1 and Dyno tune (by someone who knows what they are doing) and it's left right goodnight for the FXDLS. Put it this way, it's still enough to make 1st gear a smokeshow if you feel the need

Handling wise this bike sets a new benchmark for big twin HD's in my opinion. I've been lucky enough to ride more or less everything from the MoCo over the last 5 years and all I could think of was sportster handling combined with Big Twin power to sum it up. I never got close to scraping pegs no matter how hard I tried. The brakes were excellent and had fantastic initial bite. Another level up from my FXDLS. Suspension was a real good effort but I found the limits of the fork a few times and it still dives under brakes with my 100kg ballast. The rear shock is very good and had a plush initial feel and excellent bottoming resistance, coming from a motocross background I could definitely appreciate the work gone into this rear shocker. My favourite adjustment was to be at full stiffness via the hand adjustable knob to the right of the rear cylinder. It was firm enough for aggressive riding but combined with the excellent seat was fine for navigating Sydney's shit house roads.

I really had to nitpick for things I found problematic with this bike. The fork is too soft for aggressive riding, or maybe I'm just too fat. The rear cylinder head hits your inner thigh when stationary at the lights. Fortunately this engine runs so cool it wont result in 3rd degree burns like a twin cam. The stock exhaust is a joke as far as giving any aural enjoyment. I'm really trying to find faults but these are all so minor.

So the big questions:

1) Is this better than your FXDLS? - Yes, without a doubt this is a better motorcycle. I do however feel like this bike has foregone a bit of it's soul and character with this engine. It's smooth..... but too damn smooth. It needs a bit of mongrel about it. For your die hard Harley guy who probably still rides his Evo powered Softail and has a beard down to his Belly button he is going to hate this bike. This bike is targeted at the next gen of HD owners without a doubt.

2) Would you trade your bike in for one? - I thought long and hard about this as I handed back the keys and debreifed with the salesmen, at that point in time I probably would have. I hopped back on my bike, hit the starter and heard that 110ci engine shake and clatter beneath me, the exhaust echoing off the surrounding building. Turning out of the dealership giving it a handful of throttle, the rear steps out in one smooth fluent motion, bang 2nd gear and the big black bitch hits jail speed before you blink an eye. Nope... the FXDLS is here to stay!

Which dealer? I'm heading to Sydney tomorrow for a few days and wouldn't mind a test ride.

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Mantooth View Post
    Which dealer? I'm heading to Sydney tomorrow for a few days and wouldn't mind a test ride.
    Harley Heaven Alexandria

You forgot the ugly headlight.
    I've heard a few people say H-D are softening their models to help appeal to more females.
    Except I know a couple of women who have ridden the new bikes and much prefer the older models, amusingly a friend of mine has an 883 and a Sportster, I think, and her boyfriend is now thinking about buying one of the 2018 models.

They are defiately targeting outside their normal demographic. Younger riders and even sports bike riders with this particular bike IMO.

The sporties still have their place as an entry level bike, but this bike was so manoeuvrable and light feeling that the gap between the big twins and sporties has diminished.

I really wanted to say this bike was shit, but I was left very impressed.

Jak Sie Masz! trent from punchy's Avatar
    that's 1.9 litres?
    My car's engine isnt that big.

damn.
    www.markpakula.com
    2017 Subaru Impreza Hatch - for the grind
    2015 Cervelo S2 - for the fitness
    2005 Honda Accord Euro - for the wife
    1991 CBR250RR - for the fun

Yep

Its like having a corolla between ya legs.

Good writeup man, i agree the look of the new ones takes some getting used to.
    I panicked as soon as i saw the new lineup and went and bought a low rider s before they ran out. I think i made the right choice.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Test rode at Fraser's today. Fuck they have some go for a tractor. It's gonna have to wait a bit for the finances to be right but I'm a fan.

Rotor7 Congrats! You did the right thing mate, You got any mods planned?

How good is it Wes! For a stock bike they are very impressive. Few cosmetic things I would change and some mid controls, but other than that pretty good right out of the box.