Thread: Data logging dash (And ECU) - I need some schooling

Data logging dash (And ECU) - I need some schooling

Time has come to start thinking about a dash (and future ECU) for the Evo (99 GSR - E6). The factory loom has been turfed, so there is no way in hell the factory setup will work again. Which is all good, as I had always planned on going with a fancy pants dash of some form, and I will be running a simplified loom. (Front body, rear body, fuel, engine, accessories. As much as I'd love a PDM, budget does not currently allow)

Currently I am running an Autronic PnP (SMC based software, I am pretty sure) ECU, but will be upgrading to either a Link G4+ Xtreme, or a Haltech Elite 1500, pending talks with my tuner. (also TBD, but it's a very, very short list)

Both the Link and the 1500 have all the engine logging parameters I need. However, after a quick fiddle with a mates AiM MXL Pista, he can log everything at specific points on the track, via an overlay. This appeals to me as if there is a failure, or a major fluctuation, I can pin point where on track it happened. IE; high G right hander and an oil pressure loss = mods to the sump/dry sump/whatever.

Other than engine parameters, I would like to log brake pressures, for both bias, and "you brake like a 12 year old girl" reasons, and diff/gearbox etc temps.

Seeing that the ECU is doing all the logging, it kind of seems pointless to have logging functions on both the ECY and the Dash. The ECU will have safeties set up in case of pressure drops/over heating/over rev etc etc etc, which I am lead to believe can trigger an idiot light, whether it be a function of the dash or an external one, as well.

TL;DR - are dash loggers worth it if the ECU does all the logging, and I will have a laptop with me to check things between races? Or will running the Haltech 1500/Link Xtreme with the AiM MSX Strada well and truly cover all my needs? And then some? Speed will be via GPS
    Emo 6 - Track
    '74 Mazda 808 - Daily/Resto project

I'm going through a similar exercise right now. Have a look in this thread:

http://www.performanceforums.com/for...ta-acquisition

In summary, I reckon if I was building a street car or drag car, I would get the Haltech. But for circuit use, I'm leaning towards a Motec M130, due to the ability to use i2 for analysis. Price difference isn't that much, about $400 by the look of it.

More detail:

You don't need a dash for logging if the ECU or other data logger can log what you want. The dash is needed for display for the driver. But here's the rub: To efficiently and accurately do analysis of track work, you need software to graphically overlay your data on a track map, regardless of if you are logging from a dash or the ECU.

To just run your car, you should be able to get away with a lower spec Haltech than an Elite 1500, as (I'm assuming) you have a cable throttle. However, to do brake pressure analysis properly, you need to be logging at 200Hz, and the Elite 1500 does that, the lower spec models log at lower rates. Alternatively, you can do a reasonable job of comparing your braking performance just by logging speed and g-force, example in the other thread.

i will have AIM dahses very shortly at good rates...
    im a cunt
    and apparently i dont know shit...

Good to know, Dale. Will flick you a PM when the time comes.

Sprinkles, thanks for the info. I have been looking at the M1 series ECU's, and even a few older M800 PnP's that I see come up every now and then, that already have the basic motorsport type options enabled. Unfortunately a new Motec is way outside of my budget. A second hand, already enabled, PnP may be a viable option.

Interwebs prices for ease of comparison: <--- Can be found cheaper obviously, were pretty much the first links that came up when googled
    MoTeC M130 ECU With GPR Package - $3500USD [Fischer Motorsport]
    Link G4+ Xtreme ECU + IAT + Looms + 4 Bar Map - $2481 [EBAY]
    Haltech Elite 1500 + 2.5m (8ft) Premium Universal Wire‐in Harness Kit - $2271 [EBAY again]

The info in that thread is also very good. A mate of mine is running a Haltech (Unsure of Spec) and using a tablet as his dash. I'm unsure if he's running anything to overlay/compare track data, but he's a bit anal in that respect, I'll have a chat with him and see if he is.

Will continue to hunt around as I'd much rather spend 3500(ish) on both an ECU & Dash, instead of just one or the other, as it will leave me more money for other bits.
    Emo 6 - Track

I've got a 7" tablet installed as a dash, displaying OBD data, it's not a bad solution for $100. You would need to figure out another way of feeding data into a tablet with your setup, as you will want to display other parameters, plus without the stock ECU you won't have the OBD feed anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by 10sec rx7 View Post
    Sent you an email about a gaugeart gauge to connect to a ps1000, what the go with these will they be able to read the ethanol content sensor?

How cheap will the AIM dash be compared to just getting a gaugeart?

Can flick me a some prices? Also want to get the car back on the dyno for a test and tune. Are around, never know when your off overseas or interstate doing tunes etc.

Quote Originally Posted by 10sec rx7 View Post
    With Australian warranty? I have been using AIM stuff for a bloody long time and bang for the buck it is good stuff. Their GPS was a bit owyergoin' for a few years but they seem to have sorted that now but it is still not as good as a physical speed sensor, none of them are they all lag.

FYI, just in case you want to know the real price (not the US price) M130 GPA is $2860 and the M130 GPR is $3289 AUD inc.

Also a CDL3 track logging kit (wiring, gps, buttons, SLM-C etc) is $2695 inc.

Quote Originally Posted by cossie55 View Post
    FYI, just in case you want to know the real price (not the US price) M130 GPA is $2860 and the M130 GPR is $3289 AUD inc.

Also a CDL3 track logging kit (wiring, gps, buttons, SLM-C etc) is $2695 inc.
    Thanks for posting. These are the same prices I was quoted by a Sydney based Motec dealer.

Quote Originally Posted by Sprinkles View Post
    Thanks for posting. These are the same prices I was quoted by a Sydney based Motec dealer.
    x2 I've since got local prices that were very similar.

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk
    Emo 6 - Track

Quote Originally Posted by Mini View Post
    With Australian warranty? I have been using AIM stuff for a bloody long time and bang for the buck it is good stuff. Their GPS was a bit owyergoin' for a few years but they seem to have sorted that now but it is still not as good as a physical speed sensor, none of them are they all lag.
    The GPS15 module? I have one one MXL Pista and seems to fire up and find sats just fine. Speeds seem ok. Haven't actually used it for track logging and honestly Racechrono is far easier, and more user friendly.