Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Nankang AR-1 R Spec tyre review

lol
    yeah check out that highly modified Supra! Have you ever seen one as high as that? All that positive camber - she's full race!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20080119_autosports_IMG_1467.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	120.7 KB 
ID:	101786

how about the afternoon sprint when it got wetter and you got 18th lol

Name:	screenshot.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	127.3 KB 
ID:	101787
    Last edited by hrd; 12-09-17 at 02:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by turbosurfer View Post
    You are the prick that saw I was set up and at scrutineering and just parked your car in my set up and when I came back expecting me just pack up all my gear and move on yeh I was going to do that fuckwit.
    I wish I could take credit for doing that intentionally! lol sometimes you just get lucky

You are worse than 101
    aww thanks!

and by the way and how many more excusses hae you got why you highly modded supra is almost 9 sec slower at Oran Park GP than my evo. Fuck youre retarded.
    9 you say? Not the way Natsoft remembers it, but what's a lazy doubling of the actual gap between friends eh?

Name:	Clubsprint.JPG 
Views:	23 
Size:	189.4 KB 
ID:	101789

No excuses. Just a stock Supra having some fun tearing up cheapo street rubber at OP GP before it closed down. But congrats on beating it champ - just be thankful it didn't rain again! haha
    Name:  LR Superlap 2008.jpg
Views: 429
Size:  36.0 KB
    Last edited by hrd; 12-09-17 at 04:09 PM.

I've managed to cum three times after reading this.
    A+ will masturbate again.
    Originally Posted by Tut
    THEY SHOULD ANALYY RAPE THEMSELVES WITH A FUCING CACTUS UPSIDE DOWN WITH COCONIUTS AND PINEABPPLES AS CHRISTMAS BALLS THE FUCKNIG THIEVENG CUNTS ID RATHER DIE FROM HAVING A RAINBOW UNICORN URETHRALLY RAPE ME THAN TO FUCKNIG DO BUSINESS WITH THEM CUTNST EVER AGAN

Popcorn.gif

Wrong year HRD but who cares you are still a tool and a fuckwit. Boo hoo
    Thats picture is at Wakefield you fucken clown we all know im referring to Oran Park
    but dont let the truth get in the way of a good story. WEAPON HEAD.
    Fuck your a try hard I guess thats why you call yourself hrd.
    Last edited by turbosurfer; 12-09-17 at 06:04 PM.
    I told them I once raced cars (total lie ) pissed them right off I will think of something bigger.

turbosurfer

got a weapon head! And a rare capitalised one at that! haha

yes the pic is wakefield, as were the times in that post. You sure are on the ball aren't ya?

Wrong year? Unless you went 4.5sec faster whatever the other year was, it wont make any difference. Surely you weren't that shit on the "wrong year"?
    Just looked it up, truth is you were 0.5 sec faster the year before. Pretty shit to go half a sec slower the next year isn't it? It wasn't the track or conditions. I did the same times both years. It was just you...
    Last edited by hrd; 12-09-17 at 07:24 PM.

Does anyone want to try a set of used Nankang's? 255/18's. They have only done one race meeting, and was wet for half the track time. They still look good and don't have any uneven wear.
    NA8B 89KW- P.I. 1:50.1, WNTN1:38.0, SDWN 1:27.6, WKFLD 1:10.4
    NB8B 181KW- P.I 1:43.8, WNTN 1:32.9, SDWN 1:22.0, BDFD 1:05.3
    VP 293KW- P.I 1:46.0 WNTN 1:33.5

So anyway, thanks for the advice Harry. It sounds like the AR-1s will fit the bill for short and sprints and I can save my Z221s (and $$) for longer races. At Morgan Park super sprints you get a warm up lap but Carnell is just burnout and up to the start line.

Quote Originally Posted by lightyear View Post
    Does anyone want to try a set of used Nankang's? 255/18's. They have only done one race meeting, and was wet for half the track time. They still look good and don't have any uneven wear.
    255/35 or 255/40 and how much you looking for?

From memory it's 35 profile. $500

Hmmm, the price is attractive. I'll sleep on it and get back to you.

I am not selling them because they are a bad R spec. It's the fact that everyone is on full racing slicks, and they can't compete against that. Well they can, my lap times stayed within a second of the fastest cars all weekend. I just prefer to be first every time..

I'll take them The Lightyear. PM incoming.

Damn, snoozed and losed. Oh well, brand newies in 265 it will be.

Where are we all buying these Nankangs?

Quote Originally Posted by glenn View Post
    Where are we all buying these Nankangs?
    This was a bit of a battle, the number on the Australian web site never gets picked up. I got mine from a Tyrepower dealer who isn't even listed on this web site, but you might get lucky:

http://nankangtyres.com.au/find-a-retail-dealer/

Tyres are sold pending payment. I bought them form Pakenham tyres. Brendan is a distributor for Nankang's and can ship them to you possibly if it's too far away.

some serious tugging going on in this thread

If you are in Melbourne it would be worth trying Craig @ Trackside 03 9761 5557

St George Tyres in Sydney has them at good prices
    BMW M140i daily.
    Honda Odyssey.
    FG XR6T ZF - Road registered 410rwkw Circuit car.

Wakefield 1.07.386 (Street Tyres 1.08.8) Marulan Short 43.4 SMP GP 1.48.1 Winton 1.35.4

I love the swift dude, is there a build thread for it? Thanks for the review, so these would be more like AD08r and RS3?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Property Guru
    don't haemophrodites generally have tiny wangs?
    Quote Originally Posted by oxy View Post
    No, that's asians
    A80 Supra
    80 Landcruiser

Bought a set of these the other day $205 each fitted in a 265/35/18 from associated tyres in moorabin. Should be able to give them a run in the next 3-4 weeks. As said above, they are heavy bastards. 2.7kg each heavier than the worn out A050 that came off. That makes them over 13kg per tyre.

Quote Originally Posted by MR-PUNANNY View Post
    I love the swift dude, is there a build thread for it? Thanks for the review, so these would be more like AD08r and RS3?
    Cheers mate, I appreciate it. There was a build thread on the MCM forum, but they lost all their data in January and the thread is gone. Do you think I should start a build thread here?

The AR-1 is not like either the AD08R or the RS3. Either of those would be a good street and track dual purpose tyre. I would not consider using the AR-1 on the street, it would be too soft and too noisy. And probably not too good in heavy rain, although I can't say for sure as we have only run them in the dry.

Definitely dude!! I did find that build thread on MCM, but yeah only started to get through it and then the forum died! Thought it was the same one. Cracking times for something thats basically stock power wise?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Property Guru
    don't haemophrodites generally have tiny wangs?
    Quote Originally Posted by oxy View Post
    No, that's asians
    A80 Supra
    80 Landcruiser

Gave these a run today at Sandown. I am very impressed and was actually able to go faster than i did on A050 g2/s softs which was unexpected. The A050 where 255/40/18, these are 265/35/18. The car setup has remained exactly the same (R33 rwd Skyboat 310rwkw, same suspension, sway bar, wheel alignment settings). In the interest of full disclosure, the yokos where not fresh (3 year old, 2013 production when i bought them). Not 100% sure if age was the problem with the yokos or if my car was a bit like turbosurfer and didn't like them.

Best times:

AD08R (fresh) - 1.25.9

A050 ( non fresh) - 1.24.3

AR1 (fresh) - 123.5

First session with 26psi start pressure, did a 25.1, pressure climbed to 34 Front 36 rear and thats where i left it. 2nd session 24.1, 3rd session 23.9, 4th session 23.5, 5th and 6th session, no improvement and sad brakes.

All in all, very happy with them. Agree with most of the comments the blokes above have said. For me the front grip was less than the yokos and felt a bit sketchy, lateral grip was also a little less but ok, rear grip was excellent and probably better than the yokos, there was no issue putting the power down unless being stupid. I reckon some fresh A050 mediums would be a fair bit quicker but i haven't got 2k to spend on tyres to find out, especially since this car has been consuming brake pads like beer lately, ate a brand new set of pads today. BBK required.

In conclusion, tyres are like pussy, best when fresh, doesn't matter if its Japanese or Taiwanese, eat fresh cunts, it helps.

Thanks for the report
    Yeah those A050 are old but they would still be ok, I've raced on a tyre that old on the rear and took 3 laps before it was back to same grip as rest.
    These nankang sound ok for a 4 lap sprints don't know if I'd like to do 20 laps on them.
    The 2.7kg weight increase is a concern ,as is the lack of decent wet tread design

Surprised you went faster on Nankangs than A050 Softs!
    But even more surprised that after going 0.8s faster you say the Nankangs felt sketchy compared to the Yokos with less front grip and lateral grip. Seems like very strange feedback. It's hard to go faster with less grip.

I was very surprised myself. The front grip was still good, just a hint of manageable understeer where as the A050 where like glue. The rear grip was where the gains came from, i was able to get back on the power a fraction earlier without wheelspin.

The extra weight of the tyres didn't really seem to effect the performance at all, top speed was up by 1km/h, maybe thats where the extra rear grip came from, engine struggled to break traction with the extra mass.

As far as the A050 G2/S, I just dont think i got the best out of those tyres at all and probably didn't make the most out of them in the first few days i used them when they where in their prime. In the last 2 days used they had dropped off to 1.25.0 and 1.25.5.

Jeez, a full 2sec faster than last time! Most people would be gushing about that kind of extra grip.
    "the front grip was less than the yokos and felt a bit sketchy, lateral grip was also a little less but ok, rear grip was excellent and probably better than the yokos"

edit: I think your but dyno needs calibrating :P Would have been good to see some GPS lap timer data.
    Last edited by hrd; 10-11-17 at 03:06 PM.

It is what it is mate. The numbers dont lie and thats what it felt like but was faster. That was my experience. Im not responding any further. Tootaloo...