Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Nankang AR-1 R Spec tyre review

What was your best lap time on the day?

Quote Originally Posted by Sprinkles View Post
    What was your best lap time on the day?

A disappointing 1.08.6, with the target being a low 8 or high 7.
    Was getting quicker as the day progressed (takes me a long time to warm up).

Learn something new every track day. It's all experimentation.
    BMW M140i daily.
    Honda Odyssey.
    FG XR6T ZF - Road registered 410rwkw Circuit car.

Wakefield 1.07.386 (Street Tyres 1.08.8) Marulan Short 43.4 SMP GP 1.48.1 Winton 1.35.4

Quote Originally Posted by nelsonian101 View Post
    A disappointing 1.08.6, with the target being a low 8 or high 7.
    Was getting quicker as the day progressed (takes me a long time to warm up).

Learn something new every track day. It's all experimentation.
    Mm, so a bit off your PR then. Lack of eBay rear downforce would not have helped. What sort of hot pressures were you getting to?

Quote Originally Posted by Sprinkles View Post
    Mm, so a bit off your PR then. Lack of eBay rear downforce would not have helped. What sort of hot pressures were you getting to?
    32 hot.
    Was not expecting to go anywhere near my pb which was set on 275 R7's.
    The rear height was up too with shit rake angle. Put in a spacer in the rear to clear my driveway. Rear felt floaty.
    Prep and set up was not ideal. Just wanted to compare the tyres and I have provided honest feedback.

This was the quickest I have gone on Rspecs , but did a 1.08.8 on 275 Hankook RS3 (200 treadwear) earlier in the year (with ebay full aero) so was expecting to do a low 8 or high 7 at least.

Conditions were perfect, no more excuses.
    Last edited by nelsonian101; 10-09-17 at 06:22 PM.
    BMW M140i daily.
    Honda Odyssey.

Wakefield 1.07.386 (Street Tyres 1.08.8) Marulan Short 43.4 SMP GP 1.48.1 Winton 1.35.4

fuck me - A050s on the front, no rear wing, higher rear ride height, blames the Nankangs for no rear grip...

mixed tyres are very rarely a recipe for success.
    no rear wing will be a monumental change to the car's balance
    and higher rear ride height, and therfore RC, is also going to reduce rear grip

worst comparison/evaluation ever.
    Last edited by hrd; 11-09-17 at 07:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hrd View Post
    fuck me - A050s on the front, no rear wing, higher rear ride height, blames the Nankangs for no rear grip...

Clutching at straws trying to defend these Nankangs. I wanted them to work as well as A050's but they didn't.
    Fact is I've done lots of laps there with and with out wing/spacer, A050's front/back and they don't make the dramatic difference that these Nankangs did.

The wing makes fuck all difference in the slower corners and the rear was trying to overtake the front all day.

As I mentioned, I'd compare them to R888 or NT01, not A050.

On second thought, you do make some good points and the test was a bit fucked.

I do want them to work and will be using them at Wakefield again in November with wing/lower rear height and will report back.
    Last edited by nelsonian101; 11-09-17 at 10:12 AM.
    BMW M140i daily.
    Honda Odyssey.

Hardly clutching at straws.
    Don't bother reporting on running mixed tyres front to rear. Each tyre will have different characteristics in terms of initial turn response, slip angles at maximum lateral grip and traction characteristics. Get a full set or don't bother.

They're not going to match the A050s, but they're alot closer to Yokohama/Hankook performance than they are to NT01s in my experience, with no setup changes or mixed bag tyres to skew results.
    Last edited by hrd; 11-09-17 at 10:29 AM.

Hardly clutching at straws.
    Don't bother reporting on running mixed tyres front to rear. Each tyre will have different characteristics in terms of initial turn response, slip angles at maximum lateral grip and traction characteristics. Get a full set or don't bother.

They're not going to match the A050s, but they're alot closer to Yokohama/Hankook performance than they are to NT01s in my experience, with no setup changes or mixed bag tyres to skew results.
    Yet, your lap times at Lakeside below agree with my performance review of the AR1.

Your times:
    Lakeside
    245/40 R18 Nitto NT01 1:01.37
    235/40 R18 Hankook Z221 Soft 0:59.89

So on a much wider, 265/35 Nankang AR1 you managed to go slower than a 235/40 Z221 (Similar to A050)

265/35 R18 Nankang AR-1 1:00.27

Your comparison also mean nothing running difference widths so take a seat clown.

Simple fact is it's not as good as an A050 for laps/Supersprints. Deal with it.

I was interested in your Hillclimb performance/opinion as these Ar1 get up to temp very quickly and I'll be using them in a Hillclimb in both October and November where cold start grip is crucial.
    BMW M140i daily.
    Honda Odyssey.

Not sure why the personal insults. Or where you're getting the idea they should be as good as A050s!

Also pretty sure my Lakeside lap time strongly disagree with your review of the AR1.
    1.1 faster than NT01, 0.38 slower than a soft compound Hankook. And you'll find quality always matter more than quantity when it comes to tyres. That's why I bought the 235 Hankooks when they were on special. You'll get far more difference from the quality tyres than you will from 20 or 30mm nominal width, as opposed to actual width... This is not any sort of revelation.

The 245 NT01 measure up as ~260 wide anyway. but even giving them 20mm more tread would mean jack shit by comparison to the 1.1sec they are behind. Also they don't make a 265 so you simply cannot compare them width for width. This is as close as they get without being too wide for my wheels or car. And when i bought the Nankangs that was their only 18 size. It was the only comparison possible.

AR1s have some particular preferences in their pressures too, but I'm sure you're all over that... I found 7 tenths variance in just 4psi last weekend at the hillclimb FWIW.
    Last edited by hrd; 11-09-17 at 11:23 AM.

All good. Just have a case of cranky old man flu.

I'm interested in trying a set of these for street sprints and super sprints (when my car is finally running). I have a set of 295/30/18 Z221 softs on 18x10.5s, but also have another set of 18x9.5s so perhaps the 265/35/18 would suit and the narrower width may come up to temp a little quicker on a ~1100kg car?

Banned

As much as I hate to agree with HRD he is spot on here.
    101 for all the hype and self promotion you go on about I thought you would have
    half a clue but clearly your a dope.
    About mixed tyres after all the disasters I had with AO50s Levin Motor sport gave me
    a good used set of Hankook Z221s and Bridgestone RE11s and after many pressure changers
    and swapping front to back to get my car more balanced and predictable matched the AO50s
    lap times. (very busy supersprint) The new set of AO50s I got later also were no faster. That may
    give you some idea why im not a fan. AO50s simply dont work on my car. Now to keep the hate up
    my very old and very used RE55s were 0.5 second faster. Natsoft dosent lie.

Quote Originally Posted by neil_se View Post
    I'm interested in trying a set of these for street sprints and super sprints (when my car is finally running). I have a set of 295/30/18 Z221 softs on 18x10.5s, but also have another set of 18x9.5s so perhaps the 265/35/18 would suit and the narrower width may come up to temp a little quicker on a ~1100kg car?
    For me the Nankangs worked much better than Z221 softs (C70) at Mt Cotton Hillclimb, which is a similar situation to your street sprints - standing start, 1km track, cold tyres. Despite being 'soft' compound, the Hankooks needed a couple of corners to start working, and even then weren't quite on the pace of the Nankangs. That was 265 Nankang vs 235 Hankook - so again it's the characteristics of the tyre that are most important, not the width. But if you staying with Z221s, then yes the narrower tyre should heat up faster. Best sector times on each:
    Z221 22.60 14.21 11.91
    AR-1 21.72 14.05 11.75

Personally, I'd still go as wide as you can with the Nankangs - they work well from stone cold. I haven't used a tyre that works better in the first corner at Mt Cotton. All other semis I've used other than the 40 treadwear RA1s (so A050M, Z221, NT01, FZ201, R888, RE55, A032R and probably a couple I'm forgetting) understeer alot in T1 at Mt Cotton, but the Nankangs just grip and turn, both on the Soarer and the FWD Levin.
    Last edited by hrd; 12-09-17 at 07:38 AM.

nelsonian101 I think putting a shit heavy no wing Falcon around Wakefield in mid 8s with Nakangs in the rear is no mean feat.

and Turdsurfer atleast he was having a crack, no doubt you were off wedding cake getting a tow in hey ?? keep on waxing ya alter ego bud ....

Quote Originally Posted by turbosurfer View Post
    As much as I hate to agree with HRD he is spot on here.
    101 for all the hype and self promotion you go on about I thought you would have
    half a clue but clearly your a dope.
    About mixed tyres after all the disasters I had with AO50s Levin Motor sport gave me
    a good used set of Hankook Z221s and Bridgestone RE11s and after many pressure changers
    and swapping front to back to get my car more balanced and predictable matched the AO50s
    lap times. (very busy supersprint) The new set of AO50s I got later also were no faster. That may
    give you some idea why im not a fan. AO50s simply dont work on my car. Now to keep the hate up
    my very old and very used RE55s were 0.5 second faster. Natsoft dosent lie.
    I have no words....
    The fact that both you and hrd agree speaks volumes.
    BMW M140i daily.
    Honda Odyssey.

For me the Nankangs worked much better than Z221 softs (C70) at Mt Cotton Hillclimb, which is a similar situation to your street sprints - standing start, 1km track, cold tyres. Despite being 'soft' compound, the Hankooks needed a couple of corners to start working, and even then weren't quite on the pace of the Nankangs. That was 265 Nankang vs 235 Hankook - so again it's the characteristics of the tyre that are most important, not the width. But if you staying with Z221s, then yes the narrower tyre should heat up faster. Best sector times on each:
    Z221 22.60 14.21 11.91
    AR-1 21.72 14.05 11.75

Personally, I'd still go as wide as you can with the Nankangs - they work well from stone cold. I haven't used a tyre that works better in the first corner at Mt Cotton. All other semis I've used other than the 40 treadwear RA1s (so A050M, Z221, NT01, FZ201, R888, RE55, A032R and probably a couple I'm forgetting) understeer alot in T1 at Mt Cotton, but the Nankangs just grip and turn, both on the Soarer and the FWD Levin.
    Agree that the Nankangs will have better cold start grip like the turn 1 hillclimb you mentioned, and I mentioned this in previous posts. However, completely disagree that this required Hill Climb performance is a similar situation to the supersprints (5 laps of race pace after a full warm up lap). A050's will provide better supersprint lap times than AR1; fact.
    BMW M140i daily.
    Honda Odyssey.

Nankang ar1 in 265/35/18 = $205, Yokohama A050 265/35/18 $500

For a $200 tyre, they seem to punch above their belt big time. No one could seriously expect them to be as good as an A050. The fact that they are going as good as or better than 888 and nt01 makes them a winner in their price bracket for sure. Im still going to grab a set and if i go within a second of what ive done on A050, i'll be over the moon.

From most of the above comments, they seem to be doing quite well but it sounds like they're not very confidence inspiring. Well, you cant have your cake and eat it. Budget tyre is budget, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by THE CHIEF View Post
    Nankang ar1 in 265/35/18 = $205, Yokohama A050 265/35/18 $500

For a $200 tyre, they seem to punch above their belt big time. No one could seriously expect them to be as good as an A050. The fact that they are going as good as or better than 888 and nt01 makes them a winner in their price bracket for sure. Im still going to grab a set and if i go within a second of what ive done on A050, i'll be over the moon.

From most of the above comments, they seem to be doing quite well but it sounds like they're not very confidence inspiring. Well, you cant have your cake and eat it. Budget tyre is budget, lol.
    True, and well said.
    Great bang for buck.
    i'll be keeping them as Hillclimb tyres as this where they seem to excel.
    BMW M140i daily.
    Honda Odyssey.

Agree that the Nankangs will have better cold start grip like the turn 1 hillclimb you mentioned, and I mentioned this in previous posts. However, completely disagree that this required Hill Climb performance is a similar situation to the supersprints (5 laps of race pace after a full warm up lap). A050's will provide better supersprint lap times than AR1; fact.
    You need to learn to read. "STREET SPRINTS" like neil_se does, who I was clearly replying to. Clearly described how hillclimbs are similar to them in my previous post as well - "street sprints - standing start, 1km track, cold tyres."
    How you come to the idea I was talking about "supersprints (5 laps of race pace after a full warm up lap)" is beyond me.

I understand you feel the need to disagree with me at every opportunity, but really - calm down and read what you're arguing with first...
    Last edited by hrd; 12-09-17 at 09:23 AM.

You need to learn to read. "STREET SPRINTS" like neil_se does, who I was clearly replying to. Clearly described how hillclimbs are similar to them in my previous post as well - "street sprints - standing start, 1km track, cold tyres."
    How you come to the idea I was talking about "supersprints (5 laps of race pace after a full warm up lap)" is beyond me.

I understand you feel the need to disagree with me at every opportunity, but really - calm down and read what you're arguing with first...
    All good. Always calm dude. My misinterpretation of "sprints" in this instance, even when supersprints was mentioned in the same sentence. It happens.
    Last edited by nelsonian101; 12-09-17 at 07:08 PM.
    BMW M140i daily.
    Honda Odyssey.

misinterpretation of "the Nankangs worked much better than Z221 softs (C70) at Mt Cotton Hillclimb, which is a similar situation to your street sprints - standing start, 1km track, cold tyres",for "supersprints (5 laps of race pace after a full warm up lap)" is pretty retarded if that was a calm response like you say. Those are the only two options I can see - either you are so keen to argue you're not actually reading what you're arguing with, or you're a blithering idiot.

The fact you claim to know what the Nankangs are like after using them on the car with so many changes:
    1) without usual wing
    2) higher rear ride height
    3) mixed front and rear tyres
    4) more front camber than before
    5) "dodgy wheel alignment"
    6) rear flares - so something else has obviously changed in the rear too

has me leaning towards the latter option.

Expecting them to be as good as A050s is also pretty stupid, particularly for someone who bought them after reading the information here. Even someone buying them 16 months ago before anyone else had used them, wouldn't have hoped they'd match A050s. It's not a realistic expectation, and nor is it a valid criticism. Everyone already knew they weren't A050s. Everyone except for you apparently.

misinterpretation of "the Nankangs worked much better than Z221 softs (C70) at Mt Cotton Hillclimb, which is a similar situation to your street sprints - standing start, 1km track, cold tyres",for "supersprints (5 laps of race pace after a full warm up lap)" is pretty retarded if that was a calm response like you say. Those are the only two options I can see - either you are so keen to argue you're not actually reading what you're arguing with, or you're a blithering idiot.

The fact you claim to know what the Nankangs are like after using them on the car with so many changes:
    1) without usual wing
    2) higher rear ride height
    3) mixed front and rear tyres
    4) more front camber than before
    5) "dodgy wheel alignment"
    6) rear flares - so something else has obviously changed in the rear too

has me leaning towards the latter option.
    Clearly, it seems to be you that wants to argue.

I've explained my simple misinterpretation of what you were referring to as a Sprint. No more discussion required.

I have experimented with countless set up variations on my car over 8 years. Same car. Same track. Different tyres front/rear countless times. Have a degree in Mechanical Engineering and 25 years of circuit experience dating back to club level wins in Superbikes.

The break away characteristics were not as progressive as RS3, A050 or Z221. I am suspecting the square shoulder would cause this. Not something I liked.

Once again, their quick warm up characteristics are exceptional.

Your listed comments are repetitive.
    Have already addressed this. Rear Break away was occurring in slow corners where the rear wing does nothing. The front always felt planted.

Have never claimed to be an expert on Nankangs, just reporting my experience with them. That being, don't expect them to be close to A050 performance in a Supersprint. Not going to repeat myself any further or argue with you any further.

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”
    BMW M140i daily.
    Honda Odyssey.

just reporting my experience with them. That being, don't expect them to be close to A050 performance in a Supersprint
    Thanks for the remarkable insight. Depends what you mean by close though. Z221 are generally regarded to be pretty much on par with A050. Some would say better. I ran 0.38 off Z221 Soft pace at Lakeside on the Nankangs. I'd say that's close for a tyre that cost 1/3rd the price of the Yokohamas.
    I didn't find their breakaway to be unpredictable, but then I'm no mechanical engineer who took his wing off, increased rear ride height, ran more front camber, with a bad wheel alignment, mixed front and rear tyres and added rear flares all at the same time. It must take a hell of a mechanical engineer to be able to isolate the root cause of that unpredictable breakaway down to the Nankangs. I take my hat off to you.

Not going to repeat myself any further or argue with you any further.
    One can only hope!
    Last edited by hrd; 12-09-17 at 11:22 AM.

Expecting them to be as good as A050s is also pretty stupid, particularly for someone who bought them after reading the information here. Even someone buying them 16 months ago before anyone else had used them, wouldn't have hoped they'd match A050s. It's not a realistic expectation, and nor is it a valid criticism. Everyone already knew they weren't A050s. Everyone except for you apparently.
    Thank you for agreeing that the Nankang AR1 is not in the same league as a Yokohama A050.
    This was the result of my test, and also requested by Sprinkles in post #29. Is he an idiot too?

No need to get personal.
    BMW M140i daily.
    Honda Odyssey.

I think he was expecting a sensible person to compare the times of a set of AR1s to a set A050s without wild setup differences, to see exactly how far away they are.
    Just a hunch.

I doubt anyone cares about a test of a pair of A050 front and AR1 rears, even if there weren't half a dozen other major setup variations thrown in. All that does is tell people not to mix and match tyres. Which they all already knew anyway.
    Last edited by hrd; 12-09-17 at 12:25 PM.

Banned
    Make no mistake 101 if HRD is the ignorant prick I had the unfortuate meeting with at Oran Park a few years ago
    he is a dead set fuckwit like you. But he is correct and unlike you I will acknowledge the fact.
    Who and what are you stevil your like a annoying little BITCH. Is there any substance in your little world.

At Oran Park all he did was tell me about how much faster he was with far less mods than all the other EVOs. Was a riveting conversation. I guess my lack of interest showed through...

or maybe turdsurfer is still dirty that he got beaten at Wakefield in the wet by a stock Supra and a bloke who'd never been there before on just his 4th ever lap of the fucking place? lol

Pos Car Driver Entrant Vehicle Cap CL Laps Fastest...Lap Gap

1 10 Lyle Wilkinson Whippet Evo III 13 8 1:13.4270*
    2 17 Marek Evo IX 18 6 1:13.5560 0:00.1290
    3 56 Mark Boxsell GTpumps Evo 6 TME 18 13 1:13.7030 0:00.2760
    4 15 Nathan-SpiritR SpiritR S6 RX7 Spirit R 9 8 1:14.7290 0:01.3020
    5 42 David Ridley badhairdave S13 16 16 1:15.5950 0:02.1680
    6 27 Paul Lazos plazos MY00 STI 12 10 1:15.9980 0:02.5710
    7 18 Harry Doling Supra RZ 8 4 1:16.4850 0:03.0580
    8 48 Gerard Manion 15 15 1:16.6010 0:03.1740
    9 30 Hugo Fonseca Blue Evo IX 12 12 1:16.8580 0:03.4310
    10 40 Andrew Camilleri camels R33 GTR DoLuck 13 10 1:17.0370 0:03.6100

Banned
    You are the prick that saw I was set up and at scrutineering and just parked your car in my set up and when I came back expecting me
    just pack up all my gear and move on yeh I was going to do that fuckwit. You are worse than 101 and by the way and how many more
    excusses hae you got why you highly modded supra is almost 9 sec slower at Oran Park GP than my evo. Fuck youre retarded.
    By the way that was a S15 at wakefield there wera really 7 cars faster than me makes 6 cars faster than you. God youre pathetic.
    Hang on you came back the following year and was even slower and you filled the dams with you tears and excusses fuck that was funny.
    You really are hopeless no wonder no one can take you seriously.
    Last edited by turbosurfer; 12-09-17 at 01:35 PM.