Thread: my 2 wheeled money pits

sexy fingers

my 2 wheeled money pits

thought i'd post up my 2 wheeled money pits. might make me more excited to work on them or decide to fuck them off. hope you've got your reading glasses.

first up we have my euro trash, ive got a 09 and 10 KTM RC8R in varied states of fucked-ness.

i first bought the '10 RC8R for the road after good experiences with a 990 superduke. shouldnt have sold it.

bike was good, had an issue with the secondary throttle bodies not opening so pulled them out and enjoyed the sharper response. had a track day at PI and lapped 1:40.37 on supercorsas, stock bike with mirrors and plate removed. this was hand timed so im not convinced it was the actual time but would be pretty close.

then after running it on track i spoke to another guy who was selling one that already had a heap of spares, better suspension etc. so i bought that. but sadly on the first lap of the first track day with it i bent a valve and broke the oil pump drive gear. causing lots of damage and requiring new cylinder heads and some other crap. so it sort of sat to the side while i decided what to do.

that summer i went for a ride with the boys and the next morning riding from the dargo river inn to the dargo store i tucked the front (just a spastic) and yeah, did some damage.

nothing bad except for a fucked footpeg, fairings, clutch line and a clip on. i wasnt full comp insured as i thought the $5k a year cost plus excess was a bit much on a $15k bike. i guess thats what happens when you're early 20s on a big boy bike. repairs were going to cost over the $5k for parts only, so it sat in the shed waiting further instruction.

had a few family medical dramas so didnt get a chance to ride much for a while, but ended up putting the race glass on the crashed RC8R and did some track work on it. all was good but i noticed on my last track day at PI i had major issues with stability and lack of feel from the front end. i had just put a new rear shock in it and was stuffing around with ride heights and spring rates but nothing was helping the stability. weird. anyway, found a full set of 2011 fairings on gumtree from WA so jumped on that and put the RC8R back on the road. still had my eye out for a gloss black tank as mine had the matt finish tank being a 2010.

did a couple decent street rides through the hills and noticed less and less stability from the front end, thought it may have been because of changing to a metzeler tyre, or a fair while off the bike, or riding my other euro trash which was significantly different in the geometry. but no, after riding up the street one day i took my hands off the bars and noticed that the bike didnt track straight which was a dead giveaway that something was out of alignment. so i rode home to give it a wash and go over everything and found the frame broken on both sides. sick. bikes got like 12,000k on it and 4,000k since the accident.

had words with KTM and they put it down to the accident, i wasnt going to lie to them as they'd got me a screaming good price on parts for my other RC8R after it went pop. personally i dont believe it was the result of the accident, if anything it has to do with the front engine mount bolts being missing (rattled out or snapped off in the engine), i havent done any further investigation so its just sitting in the shed waiting for love.

i'll get a frame soon, i swear.

while all this was going on i had gone over to Europe for a holiday and at the end rented a 1290 SuperDuke R in Germany, best decision. took it on the ring, was fun as fuck.

so a few months after i got home i bought one. was a fun bike but didnt have it long, caught wind of the new model and didnt want to be stuck with an older one so sold it. suspension was not great unless you were like 70kg which i am not.

after all of this i have the 2 rc8rs still, my 10 which is sitting in the shed with a busted frame and the 09 which i have put back together. i ran the 09 on the dyno not having faith that it would hang together (im no mechanic) and it did, but had the most ugliest AFRs i have ever seen. i think my eyes still hurt from the unburned fuel.

the red line was my 2010 RC8R in similar conditions. the 09 has some piggyback ECU which i cant find software for and the KTM race ECU is locked so i need to buy a stock ECU and tune that. so its sitting in the shed waiting for love with the other KTM. money pits.

some say i have sexy fingers, at this stage i'd probably agree.
    GU Patrol L98, Manualised Auto, 35s, Kings etc
    VF2 Redline Ute

'98 Honda XR600R / '00 Kawasaki ZX-12R / '08 Honda CRF450R Supermoto / '09 KTM RC8R / '10 KTM RC8R (Broken Frame)

sexy fingers
    Now we go to the jap bikes, which dont have much of a story.

have a CRF450R which has supermoto wheels on it. not much of a supermoto scene anymore in VIC so it just sits in the shed. with the KTMs.

its a love hate relationship.

and i was flicking thru gumtree one morning and found a 2000 ZX12R for sale, went down and had a look at it and it was really mint but had a few issues (kept cutting out when hot). price was right.

put some plugs in it and it ran fine-ish but never felt super powerful. then around 15-20 mins into a ride it would cut out. was only when on bigger throttle openings and higher RPM. thought a fuel pump might have been failing. bike ended up breaking down while i was on my way to meet the engineer about the engine swap in my patrol. great.

got it home, went over the electricals and noted that the fuel pump would not run. had power to pump but not fuel pumpage. so ordered a pump. fitted pump. pump ran for a sec then main ignition fuse blew. great. checked for broken wires etc (17 year old bike) and nothing found. headlights and dash were not working. Swapped some relays around and still had no headlights, dash, fuel pump. kept popping the main ignition fuse. pulled the coils out (a cunt of a job on a zx12 with the dumb frame design and found one was melted). so ordered new coils, all was well, but it still felt a bit flat. stock exhaust was never great but i dunno, just wasnt right.

took it to the strip, ran 10.36 at 136mph. im probably 115kg with my gear on so that wasn't too bad but thought it would be better.

there was a dyno day at the local bike shop so i took the ZX there for a run. put on dyno and clutch just slipped like fuck. ordered heavy duty clutch springs and pulled the clutch apart. looked brand new! possibly the previous owner had the wrong oil in it, no bolt heads had ever been touched so i would doubt he fitted a new clutch assembly.

went back to the track and went 10.39 at 137mph. fuck knows. had fitted lowering links, lowering straps at the front and went down 2 teeth on the front. couldnt launch it.

mates zx10 setup for circuit work went 10.1 at nearly 150mph. fuck the new 1000s have a strong engine.

went back to the dyno, made 159hp which is actually more than the RC8Rs, pretty embarrassing for the KTMs. on the dyno found that i had geared too short for the track with the bike falling off the power curve in 4th at 130mph (nothing much happens when you rev these with the stock pipe) so maybe explains the lack of change between times at the track.

had a final goal for the bike and that was 9s for $5k on a reg'd bike and i failed. probably because im a bit of a fat cunt. oh well.

have now gone 1 tooth up from where i was, just waiting on the tax man to give me money for a full exhaust out of yahoo auctions japan. tuner keeps talking nitrous too, fair chance it will happen. he's a land speed racer so i trust he will know how to setup the gas for some "safe" HP gains.
    VF2 Redline Ute

'98 Honda XR600R / '00 Kawasaki ZX-12R / '08 Honda CRF450R Supermoto / '09 KTM RC8R / '10 KTM RC8R (Broken Frame)

good story there , -and some 'nice ' action shots

1:40 at Phillip Island......Stout.

sexy fingers
    Quote Originally Posted by MVLUV View Post
    admittedly i did get a tow for the really hot lap but 41s 42s depending on how much i ballsed up t11 t12 seemed to be about it. did a 55.6 on the motard around there. fuck was it boring. flat from mg to southern loop. engine was sad (busted valve spring, thank fuck for duals) so fully pinned was 174. but, at least i tried it.

state titles are at the island this weekend, would have been great to have everything done by now but it isn't the case. once the 09 KTM is properly tuned it'll be time to adjust my brain to going fast again.
    VF2 Redline Ute

Nice bikes. I just bought a 1290 Super Duke a few weeks ago. I also have motard wheels for my Wr450. My tyres don't look anything like yours though.

sexy fingers
    Quote Originally Posted by relax View Post
    Nice bikes. I just bought a 1290 Super Duke a few weeks ago. I also have motard wheels for my Wr450. My tyres don't look anything like yours though.
    What a bike combo, I loved my wr450 as a motard. It was a 06 model so last of the steel frame.

Well i had it in my mind that I was selling my XR600R to help pay for my fuck up at Winton last weekend, but after being low balled a heap I think I'll do a little bit of work and keep it.

Can't seem to find where to hook up the PTO attachments, fuck it's a tractor.

Many moons ago my dad raced these fucking things, I don't understand how that was even possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    VF2 Redline Ute

Quote Originally Posted by MVLUV View Post
    What he said!!
    Nope

Proud RC8R owner checking in. Best bike I've ever owned, never laid it down thank christ. I reckon I'd cry like a bitch if I did.

Would like to get it on a dyno at some stage, put a custom twin 2" mandrel bent exhaust into a carbon yoshi can a few years ago and now blows flames on request so probs running a bit rich. Has actually been super reliable in the 5 years I've owned it other than the gear position and side stand switch shitting themselves a little while ago which are now repaired.

Still manages to scare me if I get angry with it, so much stomp out of corners in pretty much every gear.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimi View Post
    80mm of penetration isn't bad, i wish i had that much.
    Quote Originally Posted by schnitzelburger View Post
    My entire working career pretty much consists of suckin dick and takin names.

Sometimes im too busy to take names.

sexy fingers
    Quote Originally Posted by Sketchy View Post

Proud RC8R owner checking in. Best bike I've ever owned, never laid it down thank christ. I reckon I'd cry like a bitch if I did.

Would like to get it on a dyno at some stage, put a custom twin 2" mandrel bent exhaust into a carbon yoshi can a few years ago and now blows flames on request so probs running a bit rich. Has actually been super reliable in the 5 years I've owned it other than the gear position and side stand switch shitting themselves a little while ago which are now repaired.

Still manages to scare me if I get angry with it, so much stomp out of corners in pretty much every gear.
    yeah it fucking sucked when i smashed it. just watching it slide down the road while i did flips wasn't ideal, but at least the bike wasn't the one doing flips. once you get the rear ride height setup the handling is very good. they hook up off the corners extremely well, a mate of mine who is currently racing ASBK on a zx10 i would actually outdrive him right on the edge of the tyre but as we both lift out of the corners the extra 40ish HP of the ZX would walk it. 30k trap speed difference between us at PI (but obv he wasn't just doing 1:40s).

with my good RC8 (the broken frame one) i am keeping my eyes open for a 1290 engine, the RC8R single spark heads and upwards will bolt straight on allowing the use of the RC8 electronics and engine mounts and would really improve the punch off the turns. gotta pull the engine to swap the frame with a fixed one so why not put a bigger bottom end on it. not a huge difference in peak numbers between the two but the area under the curve difference is BIG.

if its just flames on decel its probably just the secondary air injection shit, really makes the KTMs go off with a bang. i took that stuff off my bikes just to make it easier to work on but you can turn it off thru the ecu easy enough.

a video of me getting up it a bit on the road a while ago now. that was before i had the geometry sorted so it would get a bit wiggly off the corners.

drilled some speed holes in the XR and going out in the morning to see how it runs. havent been on dirt properly for a few years so hopefully i dont come back in a box.
    Last edited by SuperHoon; 08-09-17 at 03:23 PM.
    VF2 Redline Ute

sexy fingers
    Too many beers and Facebook classifieds led to this setup hanging off the bars.

Which way to the Baja 1000?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    VF2 Redline Ute

lol

sexy fingers
    well finally found a full exhaust for the zx12, and its probably what you call 'period correct'

muzzy 4/2/1 system, allegedly there is some decent gains with this so i started on it last night. probably some emissions BS in there that i should disconnect too but these bikes are a cunt to work on with the frame being the airbox and all that.

and i've located some tuning software for the piggyback on the RC8R so just have to try to get an early finish at work and go down to the local dyno and pull some fuel out of everywhere. should be mid 150s on the wheel which is still less than the zx12 made stock.

fucking vtwins.
    VF2 Redline Ute

sexy fingers
    had the KTM on the dyno and once again found some more issues with that fucking bike, thing leans out between consecutive runs so surely it has to be something easy like fuel pump/filter etc.

was making the mid 150s that it should be so that is refreshing.

also, went down to ASBK on sunday in the VB Commo. touched a mates bike joking that it would be fucked after that since sexy fingers, he binned it in the first race and in the 2nd race he DNF with the bike cutting out.

yeah i'm pretty cursed.
    Last edited by SuperHoon; 09-10-17 at 01:43 PM.
    VF2 Redline Ute

Ouch. I know those cursed feelings, thankfully haven't spread to bikes yet.

I'd like to play with my Kato a little bit more just to make sure the AFR's are sweet and everything is running great but it certainly doesn't need more power. Given I'm sub 70kg I tend not to struggle with not having enough power

I usually ride with my wife on the back who while tips the scales at almost under 50kg, because the pillion seat is so far back and so tall it generally acts like a giant wheelie pendulum every time I get on the throttle so I've learned to ride it really smooth so as not to chuck her off. Bad for business.

I do have an official Red Key floating around somewhere that is supposed to give you full tuning access to the factory ECU, any truth to that rumour?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimi View Post
    80mm of penetration isn't bad, i wish i had that much.
    Quote Originally Posted by schnitzelburger View Post
    My entire working career pretty much consists of suckin dick and takin names.

Sometimes im too busy to take names.

sexy fingers
    I've actually never used the Red key, maybe its for an immobiliser or something? cant remember.

but you can access the stock ECU with a program called TuneECU which is free, you just need the right cable which isnt too dear. its more in depth than a power commander for tuning as you have access to all parameters but in saying that its a bit more time consuming as it takes a minute or two to write to the ECU every time. and when you're using the fuel trim tables to edit, once you write the new map to the ECU all the trim cells will go back to 0 but with the new fuel values.

normally there's not much of a gain with peak numbers when its all stock, but you can get some sharper throttle response if you muck with the 2ndary throttle butterflies.

got the full system on the ZX12R, looks like the internet was correct when they said it gets a bit of a lope on the idle. i just hope its not too much of a dog off the bottom now.

VF2 Redline Ute