Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Citroen DS, JDM style

Citroen DS, JDM style

I have this (this actual one):

Australian delivered, standard. Been repainted 3+ times and just tired. Needs a full restoration.

The engine runs but has head gasket issues. The heads in these notoriously go soft = bin.

I am very seriously considering putting in a B20 Honda engine, something from a CR-V. Reasons:

- Rotate counter clockwise, like a DS engine

- Water outlets and inlets are at the front

- Smoother, torquier, newer, better

I'd have to run a jack shaft to the front of the engine, relocate the alternator and attach the hydraulic pump to the same belt. Other stuff too (clutch, bellhousing, wiring, mounts, etc.)

Thoughts?

Saab C900 16Valve turbo engine and transmission?
    Reverse rotation SBC?
    Normal engine with an SM transmission, if you can find one.
    Actually, I think the Honda transplant is probably the "easiest"

Sounds like a good idea to me.
    Dirty Subaru owner

Oh yeah man this is awesome!
    Quote Originally Posted by thebluerx7 View Post
    The fact they want to ban cash makes me want to go out and use it full time again now .

Nice.

Definitely Following....
    1969 Datsun 1000 Sedan
    1989 1.6l Daihatsu Charade

Life For me Has it's UP'S and DOWN'S........ I fix ELEVATORS

Or b20 with b16/b18 head for the full YOLO vtecs. Or just a full b16 or 18

Quote Originally Posted by Euronymous View Post
    Or b20 with b16/b18 head for the full YOLO vtecs. Or just a full b16 or 18
    I want the laziest, old man swearing at cloud-spec Honda 4 cylinder that spins the wrong way. The less V-tec madness the better, more moo than whizz. Factory DS engines are lazy turds from most accounts.

Wikipedia suggests this is the least ricey version:

B20B-B20B4
    1996–1998 specs
    Non-VTEC
    Found in: USDM and JDM Honda CR-V, JDM Orthia, Stepwgn, S-MX
    Displacement: 1,973 cc (120.4 cu in)
    Power: 126–142–140 hp (94–106–104 kW) @ 5400 rpm
    Torque: 133 lb⋅ft (180 N⋅m) @ 4800
    Rod length: 137 mm (5.4 in)
    Compression: B20B4 (AO PISTONS) 8.8:1 (P75) or 9.2:1 (P8R)
    Bore: 84 mm (3.3 in)
    Stroke: 89 mm (3.5 in)
    Redline: 6500 rpm
    No Knock Sensor
    Low Compression engine

B20b donk:

Water pump inlets and outlets will be spot on. basically the flywheel will sit behind the front axles and face the front.

I'd use the Honda power steering pump, but apparently you need 2100 - 2400psi. Any electric pumps go that high?

I think you’re best to stick with a factory pump - is it LHS or LHM?
    Dirty Subaru owner

This space left blank Ben Wilson's Avatar
    I suspect that the word easy has been used too many times in this thread already, but because DSs are awesome I think it's worth the effort.
    Imagination is more important than knowledge.

I think the car would be worth money std and restored and worth nothing if you fuck with it.
    David Fraser - Automotive Historian!

Quote Originally Posted by bigmuz View Post
    You can't polish a turd but you can put 600hp in it and laugh your fucking arse off coming past someone sideways at Powercruise.

Quote Originally Posted by AxGT View Post
    I think you’re best to stick with a factory pump - is it LHS or LHM?
    LHS. I'm undecided about whether to change. All hydraulics needs to be resealed either way. Much has never been touched.

Quote Originally Posted by JZK25 View Post
    I think the car would be worth money std and restored and worth nothing if you fuck with it.
    Probably. The honda engine looks smaller than the standard one so I am hoping that I can get away without any structural modification. I'll keep the original engine just in case I want t play around with cylinder liners and wet bores someday.

Reverse rotation chev?
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Surely LSX?
    #teamtremolo
    Quote Originally Posted by brasher
    TJ is 99% African American.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatboy View Post
    And i'd still fuck Betty....

put it back to stock

Subaru 6sp with flipped diff and 2wd conversion from subarugears.
    Run whatever engine you want but I’d go with a ford ecoboost 4cyl turbo.
    Turns out, far too much has been written about great men and not nearly enough about morons

Quote Originally Posted by seedyrom
    my neighbours called the cops...... not because of the sound of me working in the garage was too loud, but because i taped a cardboard box to my back, covered my self in vaseline and pretended i was a snail on their lawn

Looking at how the inboard brakes, steering rack and other major components are integrated into the gearbox, and that the gearbox is rated for about 200nm of torque, I’d say your in for a world of pain and suggest giving it a 4th coat of paint and selling it.
    Turns out, far too much has been written about great men and not nearly enough about morons

my neighbours called the cops...... not because of the sound of me working in the garage was too loud, but because i taped a cardboard box to my back, covered my self in vaseline and pretended i was a snail on their lawn

I'm with the leave it stock crowd. It's a DS it wasn't really made to be fast. It will be fucking worthless if you fuck with it and half the shit probably won't work after.
    Although I know very little about Citroens I do have a soft spot for them as my Grandfather who passed away early this month owned at last count between 28-31. Bought his first one in the early 50's.

Him driving his DS through the dunes at Birdsville.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180126_123323.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	1.33 MB 
ID:	104507  
    Last edited by Luke352; 29-01-18 at 12:39 PM.

I want to like this idea, I really do. I HATE Citroen's in general, but the DS is a cult car worldwide, and good examples have been appreciating for a long time. Any conversion on a car like the DS is going to be sooooooo far from straight forward no matter how much you 'simplify' your goal.

End result will be a bastard that required an over capitalisation to decrease appeal and value that I'm sure you'll love a lot less having reached the other end and still have a slow car.

If you GENUINELY feel that the end result is a 'forever car' then I wish you all the best for this voyage and look forward to seeing it unravel and progress. If you at all have any reservations about 'loving' the end result i'd join those urging you to bite the bullet, ship the original engine off to an 'expert', pay the man an exorbitant sum of cash to build you an underwhelming engine and at least slowly progress about town knowing that a tragic will snap it up for an 'easy' resto for probably a surprising sum of money without much difficulty. My 2c, feel free to ignore, I too make poor choices in motor vehicles, but I draw the line at French
    1990 E30 BMW 318is - In progress!
    1974 KE25 Corolla Coupe - So much rust...
    1955 Matchless G9 - On the road and loving it!
    1954 Matchless G80 - Because the one above runs too well so I need something more broken...
    And a fucking 1962 Rover... Because that makes sense

I've had a sadistic want for one of these, if only because of the shape. All the other weird French shit stuck to it I have no idea about and it's all scary... so I will never actually own one.

| 1963 RK43 Toyota Lite-Stout (Stanley) | 2002 EC5W Mitsubishi Legnum VR-4 Type-S (Larry) |

Quote Originally Posted by Gammaboy View Post
    PF - We're not happy till you're not happy.

I was always more a Renault fan than Citroen. I had a few R16’s back in the day and they were clever cars in their odd French way. Citroen were just difficult cunts for no reason.

Actually, that looks more like an early ID19. I'd be curious to know where it was built, either Slough in England or Melbourne. If Slough it's a really early one, iirc they were locally assembled after a few years.

It's a Heidelberg car. Ex John Faine and a bunch of QCs (or SC's if that is your thing). Meh.

It's got m7 and m9 bolts throughout. M8 bolts are oddball m8x1.0. Engine rotates backwards, two horn tones, single wheel nut, mushroom brake pedal. Odd.

So true:
    ship the original engine off to an 'expert', pay the man an exorbitant sum of cash to build you an underwhelming engine
    Maybe I should get a Camira and put a rotary in it instead. No-one's gonna cry over that...

This is why I went with an early Mercedes. Old enough to be classic. Shapely enough to be cool. Common enough to be cheap to buy and there aren’t nearly so many bleeding heart purists.

To me it doesn’t matter if you mod it. Only that the base design of the car makes it a massive and expensive task. You’ll be fabricating more random shit than you’ll ever be able to plan for.

If it was mine, I'd be lopping the roof off the fucker and welding the back doors shut.
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Quote Originally Posted by 26ODET View Post
    Maybe I should get a Camira and put a rotary in it instead. No-one's gonna cry over that...
    Now you are talking! JD Camira wagon with a C20XE would be amusing....

There's a couple of blokes who compete in autocross with a supercharged Camira wagon.
    Lots of minis & mokes including a G13b powered Sports Sedan, a couple of Swift Gtis, a Goggomobil, Porsche 928S, Polo Gti, BMW 540i, a WRX and a few others.

Well, this de-escalated quickly...