Thread: The XJ6.0 L98 & 6L80E Conversion (1982 XJ6)

The XJ6.0 L98 & 6L80E Conversion (1982 XJ6)

Hi All

As they say, if its not online it hasn't really happened - so its time to start a build thread for my 1982 XJ6 Jaguar LS conversion.

After owning the car for almost 17 years, including 4 to 5 years as daily drive, 2 blown head gaskets, 1 fully rebuilt motor and endless hours of frustration Ive finally decided Ive had enough and its time to enjoy driving it without being concerned. It a beautiful car to look at, great to drive but has one of the most frustrating power plants known to man.

Ive recently purchased a reasonably low K (140,000) L98 and 6L80E from a WM Caprice - Ive got the whole donor car sitting on my driveway so I can grab anything else I need during the conversion process.

Although there are a number of 'off the shelf' kits available from the US for the LS into XJ6 conversions after doing my research I was unimpressed with the quality, or lack of. With many of the kits being adapted from SBC to LS using mounting technology from mid 60's Chevs. Ive decided to use a pair of US made Trans Dapt LS mounts coupled with VZ LS rubber mounts which will mount onto a fabricated base bolted to the original Jaguar mounting flanges.

Ive also sourced an off the shelf LS rear hump sump and oil pickup from Aeroflow (HQ Style) which gives me the perfect clearance without any modification. As I'll be running a custom made stand alone wiring loom, i'll be removing all unnecessary Jag wiring as well as rewiring and concealing all of the headlight and indicator wiring.

Progress over the past 2 weeks:

* Remove Jag 4.2 boat anchor and trans

* Start removing any surplus engine bay wiring

* Commenced stripping all ancillary items from donor motor ready for removal this weekend

* Taken countless measurements and notes to assist in initial mock up of mounts for trail fitment of new motor and trans

* Trial fit VE/WM Radiator (minimal modification required for final fitment)

* Sourced and ordered OTR, extractors, adjustable trans shift arm (to run standard Jag shifter)

I plan on having the new motor and trans in for the first time this weekend to finalise the fabrication of the mounts etc, then I can finish up the mods for the radiator mounts.

I'll keep you all posted as I progress.

Dean
    http://www.performanceforums.com/for...0&d=1499502554
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5748.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	1.23 MB 
ID:	101453   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9514.jpg 
Size:	2.29 MB 
ID:	101451   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9521.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	2.03 MB 
ID:	101452   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9624.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	1.97 MB 
ID:	101454   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9506.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	2.83 MB 
ID:	101455  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9621.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	2.04 MB 
ID:	101456  
    Last edited by Dean 560 SEC; 29-08-17 at 05:16 PM.
    Current Garage

1987 Mercedes 560 SEC (Ece)

2007 BMW E60 530i

2004 BMW E46 318i

1982 XJ6 Jaguar 4.2

Aeroflow HQ rear hump sump & Trans Dapt LS Engine mounts with 75mm VZ mounts.

Name:	IMG_9360.jpg 
Size:	1.33 MB 
ID:	101458   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9028.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	2.02 MB 
ID:	101459  
    Current Garage

2007 BMW E60 530i

2004 BMW E46 318i

1982 XJ6 Jaguar 4.2

Excellent. These are an awesome cruiser and would be epic with the 6.0 litre. Subscribed.
    DJ's don't need sigs

Great start. How tight is the 6l80 looking?

After long-term ownership, it's great to read that you're keeping on, just in another phase.

Subscribed, this is going to be good with the LS!

Quote Originally Posted by Rascasse View Post
    After long-term ownership, it's great to read that you're keeping on, just in another phase.

Subscribed, this is going to be good with the LS!
    Exactly this.

Quote Originally Posted by drscrote View Post
    Great start. How tight is the 6l80 looking?
    Not sure yet - will know one Saturday once I've got both BW66 & 6L80E side by side.

Im planning on running btw motor and trans around 25 to 40mm closer to the front from where yours appears to sit and both possibly 15 to 25mm lower in the bay and trans tunnel than the 'off the shelf' kits I've seen....thats the plan at this stage. Obviously if I run the whole set up lower in the body i'l have to shim the centre tail shaft bearing to suit - but thats no big deal.

I'm not against 'realigning' the trans tunnel with a hammer and dolly or grinder if I need to.

Did you run a one or 2 piece tail shaft in yours?
    Current Garage

2007 BMW E60 530i

2004 BMW E46 318i

1982 XJ6 Jaguar 4.2

I had one of these for a few years as a daily, very pleasant cars to drive, engines are massive, slow and stupidly temperamental. Super cool conversion. If youre SOR and ever need an extra set of hands let me know

Mine has a one piece tailshaft.

What are doing for headers? Mine has stock Corvette ones on opposite sides, but I've got a custom set waiting to go on which need a left hand starter conversion.

Little engine that could. itsnotagsr's Avatar
    Awesome!
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower." - Mark Donahue Penske Porsche 917

"In Japan we no give fark for Subaru" - Trust Japan Technical Director
    (TM - AVENGE)

"You can never have enough power. I remember when we had Group B cars... THEN we had enough power!"
    Juha Kankkunen - Rally of Argentina '02

Quote Originally Posted by drscrote View Post
    Mine has a one piece tailshaft.

What are doing for headers? Mine has stock Corvette ones on opposite sides, but I've got a custom set waiting to go on which need a left hand starter conversion.
    Hmmm... maybe its time to consider one piece. I got a price today and its about half that of going 2 piece with new centre bearing.

Ive got the choice of a set of VE HSV extractors or the stock WM manifolds. I'm hopeful that the HSV set will fit, even if I have to cut them off just below the collector and modify from there. What I like about them is they appear to be a great starting point and easy to cut/weld etc if need be. Ive taken the heat shields off and intent to paint them black then wrap then in black heat wrap tape.

Name:	VE HSV & Stock WM.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	1.40 MB 
ID:	101493  
    Last edited by Dean 560 SEC; 30-08-17 at 04:53 PM.
    Current Garage

2007 BMW E60 530i

2004 BMW E46 318i

1982 XJ6 Jaguar 4.2

Had a chance to make a little progress after work this afternoon (the advantage/disadvantage of being self employed and working from home). The L98 is almost ready to lift out- coil packs off, injector and sensor loom off, a/c hoses and condenser gone and just the last couple of bolts to remove the rad support. Its great to have the opportunity to throw an hour here and there during the week getting ready to pull it out on Saturday.

Name:	Almost ready to lift out.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	989.9 KB 
ID:	101494  
    Current Garage

2007 BMW E60 530i

2004 BMW E46 318i

1982 XJ6 Jaguar 4.2

Oh yeah. Keep the updates coming!
    DJ's don't need sigs

Can't wait to see this one done

Quote Originally Posted by Dean 560 SEC View Post
    The shifter won't be a problem - it'll select PRND okay it just won't have the tip function. The guy who's building my new LS loom for me who's done a few L98 & 6L80E conversions into other cars is going to 'tune' the shift points etc once the install is complete.

Ive removed the Jag charcoal canister - i've decided to use the Holden on from the WM with the LS purge valve etc I'll see if I can get this in behind the master cylinder where the vacuum tank used to live. I'm also pulling both Saddle-bag tanks out and installing a new alloy fuel cell in the spare wheel well with a new tank vent running out under the boot floor (rather through into the C pillars). This will also allow me to use the Holden 'in tank' fuel pump/reg etc.

Did you have your PS lines made locally? Or did you modify the Commodore ones to suit the Jag rack? I'm planning on having mine made in 2 sections (like in my 560 SEC) which has a join in a discrete and convenient spot so the bottom sections (from the rack to the x-member to the right of the front pully) can be installed with the engine out.
    I copied this quote from Dr Scrote's thread so as not to clog it up too badly.

That vacuum tank behind the master cylinder is part of the climate control. The old clockwork system in a 1982 model won't be very happy about you removing it.
    Keen to see your new fuel tank setup, I've always thought the twin tank setup is the worst part of these otherwise good cars. They're never supposed to vent into the C pillars though It's supposed to be a vapour expansion tank, but they do rust from the inside out. They live in the C pillar cause it's the highest point that they could be located, so that any liquid fuel/condensate would drain back to the fuel tank. Not sure if a vent below the tank is a good idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlin
    Chickens will slip under water in the cover of darkness like a seal team and FUCK YOU UP.

i'm removing all of the climate control and coolant filled heating system completely and will install an electric heater demister (blowing onto the front screen only) connected up to the original heater/fan switch. I intend to weld up all the holes in the fire wall (as well as the rest of the bay) for smooth look plus fit the ECU for the LS up under the crashpad where the HVAC system was.

Ive owned the car for 17 years and for the past 10 I've driven it without an a/c compressor installed - it was a shit system anyway, plus I have another 3 car to drive with working a/c if its hot.
    Last edited by Dean 560 SEC; 01-09-17 at 07:20 PM.
    Current Garage

2007 BMW E60 530i

2004 BMW E46 318i

1982 XJ6 Jaguar 4.2

Made a bit more progress today. Motor and Trans is out of the Caprice and sitting on a pallet in the garage ready to be cleaned before test fitting.

I had an opportunity to fit the Trans Dapt & VX engine mounts and check that they will line up with the original engine mount flanges on the Jag x-member. I just need to fabricate a 30mm adapter and change over the sump before I can trail fit the motor.

Also the lower radiator support has been trimmed to allow the VE/WM radiator to fit, just a few more minor adjustments then I can box it in and weld in the rad mounts (to suit the Holden lower rubber mounts). I'm waiting on a OTR which should arrive this week so i'll check fit the radiator, OTR and VE Fans before final welding etc. The radiator that was in the donor car was slightly bent, so Ive ordered a new one which should arrive some time this week.

I want to get this finished before the motor goes as its much easier to cut, grind and weld in the bay without the motor in place.

Fathers Day tomorrow so I doubt there will be any further progress this weekend.

Name:	LS Out.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	353.4 KB 
ID:	101533   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LS Out 1.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	374.3 KB 
ID:	101532   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Left Mount trail fit.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	370.9 KB 
ID:	101534   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Right mount trila fit.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	386.1 KB 
ID:	101535  
    Current Garage

2007 BMW E60 530i

2004 BMW E46 318i

1982 XJ6 Jaguar 4.2

Rather busy day in the garage.

Managed to install the LS for its first trial fit just to make sure the mounts and sump work, as i'm not using an off the shelf kit there is a bit more planning and fab work to get everything where i want it.

The VX/VZ Commodore rubber engine mounts ended up fitting/working perfectly and with the Transdapt mounts and the relocation plate I fabricated I'm really happy with the positioning of the motor and trans. I still need to fabricate the transmission mount but wanted to see how the 6L80E fits up in the Jag tunnel how that everything is in place. Ive got a slight clearance issue with the top of the trans resulting in about 3 to 4 degrees out on the output shaft which should be fairly easy to deal with - it may just need a gentle massage in a couple of places.

Unfortunately the new radiator didn't arrive this week so I was unable to finish modifying the lower radiator support and weld in the new lower mounts - Ive mocked it up to see how it will all fit. The radiator will sit about 25mm lower than in the pics, which should allow the OTR to sit lower and level. Hopefully the radiator will turn up early this week so I can get this finished up before next weekend.

I ran into a few unexpected issues although that just adds to the fun and challenge.

Name:	IMG_9751.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	163.5 KB 
ID:	101735   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9760.jpg 
Size:	168.5 KB 
ID:	101736   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9763.jpg 
Size:	148.9 KB 
ID:	101737   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9765.jpg 
Size:	165.7 KB 
ID:	101738   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9768.jpg 
Size:	185.9 KB 
ID:	101739  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9771.jpg 
Size:	179.0 KB 
ID:	101740   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9776.jpg 
Size:	138.2 KB 
ID:	101741   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9780.jpg 
Size:	145.5 KB 
ID:	101742   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9784.jpg 
Size:	144.8 KB 
ID:	101743   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9786.jpg 
Size:	1.20 MB 
ID:	101744  

Last edited by Dean 560 SEC; 10-09-17 at 10:03 PM.
    Current Garage

2007 BMW E60 530i

2004 BMW E46 318i

1982 XJ6 Jaguar 4.2

Not a lot done over the past couple of days.

Surprisingly, sold the old Jag motor and box on Gumtree - managed to make back $100 of the almost $10K I spend on it being rebuilt about 10 years ago. Winning!!!

New radiator arrived so I 'll try and get the lower rad support and mounts done over the next couple of days.

Had a look at how much room I have to run the standard VE/WM manifolds or the HSV Extractors. Looks like i'll get the extractors to fit with just some minor modification. Left side will be easy, just a little realignment of the collector should see it sit quite nicely. The right may take a little more work to clear the steering column.

Name:	trial fit left hsv extractor.jpg 
Size:	1.38 MB 
ID:	101817  
    Last edited by Dean 560 SEC; 13-09-17 at 10:44 PM.
    Current Garage

2007 BMW E60 530i

2004 BMW E46 318i

1982 XJ6 Jaguar 4.2