Thread: CRF450R Top end rebuild kit - Best place to get one

CRF450R Top end rebuild kit - Best place to get one

Dear PF.

I've been borrowing a mates 2005 CRF450R and it's slowly seems to be loosing compression.

We've done the valve shims and all that but it doesn't seemed to have helped, pulled it down and it looks like the rings are going/gone in it.
    Odd cause it doesn't blow smoke etc.

Anyway I took it to a fella and he confirmed my suspicions. I guess my question is anyone got a hook up for a top end rebuild kit that wont cost me an arm and a leg?

So far looking in the vacinity of $550-$750. From what I can see that's normal to expensive. (that's just the kit itself no installation)

Advice thoughts etc.

Cheers.
    J
    (MX rebuild noob)
    BF XR6 Turbo - 2L Turbo TE - 75 TX Coupe

- PSN: rotacoupe

This is obviously assuming all your AUX outputs are doing something. Ie idle control, and the other does water spray, and the other updates your Instagram automatically etc.

sexy fingers
    piston, rings and couple gaskets should be well under $500. i went online and got my last piston and rings for like $250 for a 13.5:1 wossner

you're certain the valves are seating correctly?
    GU Patrol L98, Manualised Auto, 35s, Kings etc
    VF2 Redline Ute
    E36 Track Nugget Project

'98 Honda XR600R / '00 Kawasaki ZX-12R / '08 Honda CRF450R Supermoto / '09 KTM RC8R / '10 KTM RC8R (Broken Frame)

should be approx $300 with all gaskets. more if you go OEM.

Have you done a Comp test? It's probably due for a slug/rings anyway.

If you can do valve clearances you should be ok with the top end if you have the service manual as a DIY job.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperHoon View Post
    piston, rings and couple gaskets should be well under $500. i went online and got my last piston and rings for like $250 for a 13.5:1 wossner

you're certain the valves are seating correctly?
    Yeah the mechanic fella said they were out a little but had them milled up and they're perfectly seating. They weren't terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Fondles View Post
    Thanks. I did look on ebay last night but wasn't sure if any of this stuff was any good.

Quote Originally Posted by brasher View Post
    should be approx $300 with all gaskets. more if you go OEM.

Have you done a Comp test? It's probably due for a slug/rings anyway.

If you can do valve clearances you should be ok with the top end if you have the service manual as a DIY job.
    Yeah ok. From what fondles thrown through seems about right.
    Comp test isn't showing favorable results. We did 4 which was about 8 kicks each
    50 with the old oil trick.

Yeah I had the clearances done as well. The mechanic fella is a family friend so i'll give him a few $ to do it all.
    I might forward him the link Fondles has sent.

This is obviously assuming all your AUX outputs are doing something. Ie idle control, and the other does water spray, and the other updates your Instagram automatically etc.

sexy fingers
    Go higher comp it'll love it. Replacing the piston anyway more grunt never hurts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    GU Patrol L98, Manualised Auto, 35s, Kings etc
    VF2 Redline Ute
    E36 Track Nugget Project

'98 Honda XR600R / '00 Kawasaki ZX-12R / '08 Honda CRF450R Supermoto / '09 KTM RC8R / '10 KTM RC8R (Broken Frame)

Quote Originally Posted by SuperHoon View Post
    Go higher comp it'll love it. Replacing the piston anyway more grunt never hurts.
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    lol! This thing has enough grunt as it is. We've been roll starting it of late. Will throw me off fairly easy and I'm not light.

BOOSTFARKIN
    Had one of these a while ago valves....

Hard to start is normally valves I doubt piston and rings.

Valves are titanium and have a coating and once they start moving is generally time to replace em as the coating comes off and the titanium is too soft and gets chewed away by the valve seat. Yep in the manual it says check 1.-1.5 hours.

When I did top end on mine I converted it to stainless valves problem vanished and after everything seated in never had a problem after that fix.
    As above I put a stage 1 hotcams
    And 13.5 - 1 comp piston
    Pro circuit full system.
    Mesh delete in aircleaner.
    I'm no lightweight though.

It hauled ass

When I had bike workshop I used either BBI in Perth (08-9295 6688) Wossner, Pro-X etc.,
    or Serco Qld (07-33626600) Wiseco, Vertex etc., if you want name brand parts.

Edit: Just to add to Morcs post, if you go stainless valves, remember they are heavier than the Ti ones, so at the very least your springs need to be 100% perfect, or even slightly stronger.
    For race bikes I would always replace with Ti valves (Good ones that don't recede are not cheap), trail riders, I would fit stainless as they are not looking for the last drop of horsepower.
    Last edited by motoxray; 29-08-17 at 01:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Morcs View Post
    Had one of these a while ago valves....

Hard to start is normally valves I doubt piston and rings.

Valves are titanium and have a coating and once they start moving is generally time to replace em as the coating comes off and the titanium is too soft and gets chewed away by the valve seat. Yep in the manual it says check 1.-1.5 hours.

When I did top end on mine I converted it to stainless valves problem vanished and after everything seated in never had a problem after that fix.
    As above I put a stage 1 hotcams
    And 13.5 - 1 comp piston
    Pro circuit full system.
    Mesh delete in aircleaner.
    I'm no lightweight though.

It hauled ass
    Yeah so initally I thought it was valves. Every forum blog i searched through suggest that's the go to with CRF anythings.
    I've talk to old mate and we were going to move to stainless valves. It's not a race bike and prior to us having it the history is in the wind.
    I'm not too worried about doing a top end either way. It's a nice bike to ride when it's going so I don't mind having it all done at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by motoxray View Post
    When I had bike workshop I used either BBI in Perth (08-9295 6688) Wossner, Pro-X etc.,
    or Serco Qld (07-33626600) Wiseco, Vertex etc., if you want name brand parts.

Edit: Just to add to Morcs post, if you go stainless valves, remember they are heavier than the Ti ones, so at the very least your springs need to be 100% perfect, or even slightly stronger.
    For race bikes I would always replace with Ti valves (Good ones that don't recede are not cheap), trail riders, I would fit stainless as they are not looking for the last drop of horsepower.
    Yeah there's a wiseco kit i found on google looks not bad $450 which isn't terrible.
    Yeah thanks. It's just used as a trail bike. I'm too old fat and can't afford an off to race these days. I just like getting out and buzzing up a trail.
    HP not really a problem/concern.

P.s really appreciate the help bros

Do they do an Athena big bore kit for these? Just put one on my 250r, goes mint.

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by AlexinPerth View Post
    Do they do an Athena big bore kit for these? Just put one on my 250r, goes mint.

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk
    Yep, bout $850 !!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Athena-Big-B...BV6GQE&vxp=mtr

BOOSTFARKIN
    I thought about big bore kit for mine but cam and hi comp was cheaper.
    I really don't think the big bore kit would get around it without cam upgrade.
    The stage 1 cam is a boost in low end and midrange power.

Which is supposed to be similar to a works Supercross setup.

With hi comp piston and cam upgrade it was stupid fast and could not stop the thing from spinning.
    I ended up with 14 - 46 gearing and basically changing gears just made it spin faster...And that was new 130 profile s12 michelin tyre.

I used to run out of brakes on pony expresses...
    With that gearing you pass stockers like they are standing still.

It made it more forgiving if you didn't get the right gear just crack the throttle and away it goes but also made it more tiring as so responsive I added steel clutch basket to help with a little extra weight after alloy one was unserviceable

It's horses for courses in my opinion:

If you want it to last longer, stay with stock compression,

If you want tractor grunt, a big bore kit,

cam will generally give more mid & top end, with a small loss off the bottom, which can be recovered by increasing compression...

more power = more physically demanding.

There is validity to getting fitter & holding the throttle open wider & longer!

Choice is a wonderful thing.

No one needs the snot of a 450 and no one sure as shit needs the power of a modded 450 haha

But we're men and its in our blood to fuck with everything.

Just put a pro-x piston in it and enjoy IMO.

Lol! I haven't been riding it for long so I'll stay stock compression cam etc.

For now anyway.

BOOSTFARKIN
    Forgot to mention cam makes them sound wicked too big bore kit not so much.

Cunt Ive found a nice 08 on gumtree and now trying to convince nopics it needs to be a thing.

Lol shheeiiitt. I could be lowballed on mine if you're after a bike that needs a top end rebuild save me $500

$500 ??