Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FWD track alignment

Thanks Pxl should be a good weekend now.

Sprinkle i think it was more the camber changed under load.

Does the home alignment involve string lines? I made my own but would be open to more accurate ways to measure it.

I made this hub stand style aligner out of 12mm aluminium plate and some angle. It allows for easy and accurate toe, camber and ride height adjustment, because you can get at the adjustments easier with the wheel off. What this doesn't do is centre your steering wheel, so we still use the string method as well. You have probably seen the chassis mounted string setups at the races, these are better than the axle stand method commonly seen in the youtube videos.

Let me know if you want to make one, and I'll post some more detail on the design and usage, or maybe start a new thread for it.

Sprinkles that is an awesome setup. I think if you start a new thread more PF members will benefit from it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mai View Post
    Sprinkles that is an awesome setup. I think if you start a new thread more PF members will benefit from it.
    OK, will do.

I'm looking for some more advice now that I've sorted out the front end I'm having some rear end issues. I'm having what seems to be skipping from the rear when through the corner as it gets loaded. I've been told that my rear end looks floaty through the corners. Usually what is the cause of this, spring rates, dampening, tyre pressures or ride height?

I'm looking for some more advice now that I've sorted out the front end I'm having some rear end issues. I'm having what seems to be skipping from the rear when through the corner as it gets loaded. I've been told that my rear end looks floaty through the corners. Usually what is the cause of this, spring rates, dampening, tyre pressures or ride height?
    Does it feel like it's oversteering, then grabbing, then oversteering, then grabbing? If so, what's the frequency in say a 90 degree corner?

Skipping to me indicates the rear springs maybe too stiff.
    I told them I once raced cars (total lie ) pissed them right off I will think of something bigger.

turbosurfer

Quote Originally Posted by Sprinkles View Post
    Does it feel like it's oversteering, then grabbing, then oversteering, then grabbing? If so, what's the frequency in say a 90 degree corner?
    It's as you described it, i've attached a in car video, you can hear the tyres pulse as they catch and let go.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0BcpO1TOhxM

It's as you described it, i've attached a in car video, you can hear the tyres pulse as they catch and let go.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0BcpO1TOhxM
    Tank slapper at 7:55 looked pretty exciting, seemed the back just stepped out on you for no good reason.

First thing I'd be doing is going right over the rear suspension, checking nothing is loose, broken or worn out. And recheck the alignment, especially the toe.

Do your XYZ coilovers have adjustable damping?

Yeah the xyz have adjustable dampening, it's currently set at 20 clicks from soft. Rear end is pretty new, new bushes, new brakes. I'll check for anything loose and get the alignment looked at as I'm not even sure what the fronts are set at after all the moving it has done.

Ok so assuming the rear suspension is all good and alignment ok, I suggest trying some different damping settings. Try a few laps with the rear dampers set to full soft, then a few laps with them set 2 - 3 clicks from full hard, so you get a feel for the effect that damping has.

I doubt your issue is spring rates, they seem reasonable to me, and with the package coil-overs you can't change them anyway. So another solution will need to be found.