Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Ze GERMANS! BMW FREE-21

Yeah mate I'm down from Emerald for a few weeks while we have our second kid. I'm hoping to snag an afternoon off to play cars before I head back home

If I ever get back to owning another one, I would like to put a rebuilt M44 in a series 2 318i. You can get over 200hp out of the twin cam motors pretty easily, then ditch the dual mass and put it behind a set of 3.91 or 4.10 gears in and it'll love to rev.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buford T. Justice
    This happens every time one of these floozies starts poontangin' around with those show folk fags.

There seem to be a hell of a lot of good options for these cars really, i guess its just a matter of how much cash you want to sink into it. I rekon an sr20det would be a heap of fun too. But yeah, i think getting the current motor running and enjoying the car is the best course for now.
    I was actually just looking at porsche 944 ls1 swaps..... fuck. That would be a sick conversion. Porsche handling with a v8 would be fucking epic. I think that might be the ultimate project.

Naughtius Maximus JayTHEFordman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 68RNR View Post
    I was actually just looking at porsche 944 ls1 swaps..... fuck. That would be a sick conversion. Porsche handling with a v8 would be fucking epic. I think that might be the ultimate project.
    Yes, I like this idea very much. Always loved the 944
    Envy is Ignorance, Imitation is Suicide - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Originally Posted by Stang:
    particularly when your body is functioning like a 1970s Alfa made by drunken chimpanzees on a Friday afternoon

They look cool as fuck and seem to be had for fairly cheap. There is a manual one for sale on facepage group for 5k at the moment which is tempting.... but no, better finish bimmer first.

Quote Originally Posted by Madhatr View Post
    If I ever get back to owning another one, I would like to put a rebuilt M44 in a series 2 318i. You can get over 200hp out of the twin cam motors pretty easily, then ditch the dual mass and put it behind a set of 3.91 or 4.10 gears in and it'll love to rev.
    i'm doing this in a 2002 currently, had the same thought pretty much.
    Quote Originally Posted by 68RNR View Post
    There seem to be a hell of a lot of good options for these cars really, i guess its just a matter of how much cash you want to sink into it. I rekon an sr20det would be a heap of fun too. But yeah, i think getting the current motor running and enjoying the car is the best course for now.
    x2 get it running, put some exhaust on it and some efi and see how you go.
    re: 944's there's also a common VAG 5 cyl that fits that will take some boost.. would love a 944 with audi rally noises.

Quote Originally Posted by Madhatr View Post
    Tell me more about these 200 horsepowers.
    Currently have an m42 and its rather leasurely
    Quote Originally Posted by Rdyno
    70ynu has to be the most retarded cunt here. "Help me please" me "you need to remove your head" him "fuck off cunt I'm to lazy fuck off out of my thread you told me to do something I don't want to do so you're a cunt fuck off can some one please tell me an easier way???"
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripper
    Its a tight battle between you and rogercordia for the most retarded member on here, thou i think you have it by 5 window licks

Lovely little thing. Others have said what to do with the engine. Were it me, either get the current one running and ITB it, or find a 2.5 litre M20 from an E30/E34 and shove that in. And then turbo it. M20s and M30s love boost.

So ive been off having babies and shit, therefore not much has happened with the free-21. Anyway, queue about a week ago, i was researching engine conversion options for the beemer because making the m20 work was just looking like too many hards. I narrowed my options down to an alloytech moo mang. While looking for one of these I found a much better option:

Enter 1989 e30, with an m50b25 conversion and 6 cyl 5 speed manual. And no rust. Fuck yeah.
    Price was right, and was going to cost me less than getting the free-21 going. And its an e30 so looks better and wont turn into a pretzel with any hint of power.

So! The plan is to prep this up for Targa in cairns next year! Should be wicked. To-do list:
    Install some coilovers (dgs?)
    Finish exhaust off
    Stick in some race seats and 5 point harnesses
    Bolt in half cage
    Get rid of 5 stud wheel adaptors and wheels and put on some nice 4 stud jobbies with semi slicks
    Bush kit for suspension for less rattley rattles.
    Possibly get it tuned for mafless but not decided on that one...
    I think the engine should have plenty of herbs for now. Might look at some cams down the track, or maybe fkn whoosh....
    Last edited by 68RNR; 24-12-17 at 07:57 AM.

Even got a sun roof!
    Quote Originally Posted by 50RTD View Post
    Dave, have you uploaded the data from the carby?

I know right! Let my farts out. Thats like a $3000 extra that.

Nice E30.

Are the gearbox and diff E30 or E36?

That tartan pass seat might be worth monies.

Yeap ive been told the seat is a basketweave IS seat and sells for around 400 bones? Im going to flog it off anyway to get some race seats.
    The box and diff are indeed out of the e36 the donk came from, so that should make things a bit more reliable! I think it apparently has an e36 steering rack as well which has a quicker ratio or something.

Ahh, cool. Yeah E36 steering is an upgrade for a faster ratio.

That seat isn't one of the bolstered Sports seats (quite rare, wasn't even standard on the "is" cars). Still, the cool kids are all digging the tartan seat thing these days, so you should get a couple of hundred for it.

The E36 gearbox is 1:1 in 5th, compared with 0.81 for the E30. Which means that if you want shorter gearing, E30 diffs are the go.

You won't be getting anything approaching 100's of dollars for the rear seat. Maybe if you had matching front ones (even non sport), but not just for a rear by itself.

You can use like 4 different transmissions for the swap, the B25 gearbox that came with that motor is probably the most work out of all of them. Needs a tailshaft made up of a bunch of different bmw pieces, gearbox cross member, mounts, shift rod, etc. You ideally don't want to use an E36 gearbox. The reason for picking a iS for a base model for an M50 conversion is you can use the standard getrag 240 thats sitting behind the M42. It bolts right up and the angle is perfect for the conversion, you dont need a new cross member or have to bend anything, so you just need different selector rod and everything else is sweet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buford T. Justice
    This happens every time one of these floozies starts poontangin' around with those show folk fags.

It's the front pass seat we're talking about.

By the way, the "B25" gearbox (Getrag 260) only needs a cross member and rotated shifter linkage, not the other stuff you mentioned. E36 gearbox is fine, and better if you want short gearing.

Quote Originally Posted by BreaksMyWallet View Post
    It's the front pass seat we're talking about.

By the way, the "B25" gearbox (Getrag 260) only needs a cross member and rotated shifter linkage, not the other stuff you mentioned. E36 gearbox is fine, and better if you want short gearing.
    E36 M3 box behind my M5430B uses standard e30 cross member

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Sicarius123 View Post
    Performance Forums, where our two best threads are a man stabbing a lawn mower and a lawn mower stabbing a man

Yeap well it has the e36 box already as I mentioned and im not about to change it. Seems logical to use a 6 cyl box behind a 6 cyl engine to me. See how I go selling the seat. Have had some interest already.
    Looks like a megasquirt will be the go too, i can get a complete plug in ecu from them. Should liven things up and will prepare for booooooost!

So decided to get stuck into the red nugget while I have some time on my hands. Main order of business is to un-fuck some of the stupid shit that has been done.
    1st order of business was to sort out the redneck spec cold air induction so I could fit the headlights back in again properly. Im also not convinced that having a pod filter blowing in the breeze in direct line of rain and shit is a good thing on a tarmac rally car.... so, plan was to remove that shit and make a proper airbox.
    This is the offending setup:

Got a new k&n pod to replace the chinabay jobby, and made up the frame of the airbox. Added some nutserts for extra pimpyness:

Came out pretty damn good I think. Need to put some foam seals around the place still but the basics are there.

Much betterer.

Inside the carpet has been stripped and there was some surface rust in the driver's side footwell. I wanted to treat the rust and then coat the floor in some textured underbody coat which I had leftover from the effie build.
    First I stripped the factory sound deadening off. Because I live in Emerald and its been like 40 fucking degrees, it literally just peeled straight off as the adhesive had melted. Score!

Heres the offending rusty shit:

Ground that shit back, hit it with some rust converter and etch prime, then sprayed deadener on it all. It came up really good!

Not much else needed now inside. Have to rip the dash out and fix some cracks because my OCD cant deal. Then ill be on the lookout for some race seats for it.
    Other than that ill need to find some decent 4 stud wheels for it so i can piss the 5 stud adaptors and spacers off.

looks nice and clean, what brand sound deadener did you use?

Cool as.

But how are you going to run in Targa? Engine conversions are not allowed in early modern. Are they allowing a special dispensation to the normal rules for Targa GBR?
    Rust is lighter than carbon fibre.

My Sports Sedan

Just being a vulture here, you doing anything with your interior bits and pieces?
    Quote Originally Posted by Faux Forg View Post
    I agree with Rdyno

Quote Originally Posted by japlish View Post
    looks nice and clean, what brand sound deadener did you use?
    Mate it was just some terotex water based stuff, seemed to do a good job actually. You can get it off ebay for cheaps. Was going to raptor line it but not really worth the expense.

Quote Originally Posted by Guido View Post
    Cool as.

But how are you going to run in Targa? Engine conversions are not allowed in early modern. Are they allowing a special dispensation to the normal rules for Targa GBR?
    I am gathering more info on the Targa thing as I go along. Ive come to the conclusion that I will not be entering this year anyway as I probably should learn to drive properly first.... i will have a look RE the engine conversion as I hadn't thought of that....

Quote Originally Posted by Milkman Don View Post
    Just being a vulture here, you doing anything with your interior bits and pieces?
    Sorry mate, what small amount of parts I have I will be keeping for the day it goes back to being a daily!

Rust is lighter than carbon fibre.

My Sports Sedan

Ok need some advice from someone who knows these engines. I had planned to fit up a generic alloy catch can to feed in the vents from the valve cover and crank case. These were previously plumbed into the intake elbow, but the fittings were shit and had been wrapped in electrical tape to try and get them to seal (which is fuckin dodge). Figured a catch can was a better solution. Is there any reason I cant do this? Do these vents need vacuum from tje engine intake? The internets wanks on about pcv valves and ccvs and shit. Im confused.

Sorted the catch can / breather issue out finally. What I thought was a crank case breather is actually the feed to the IAC valve, so this needs to stay. Got a new fitting to connect it into the accordian tube off the throttle body. I may actually instead find another vacuum port down the track by fitting a T piece onto the intake tube, so I can piss the rubber accordian tube off and replace with a smooth silicon bend instead. The other pipe is the breather for the valve cover, so I will likely fit a small catch can for this to clean up the intake side.

In other news I got some paint and decided to paint the bonnet the right colour, and fix a couple of small rust holes in the sunroof. The bonnet had been painted with some black underbody coating shit, so out came the belt sander to get rid of that shit. There was a ding repair in the front corner that was pretty shit, so some of the filler was starting to crack. I stripped that out, etch primed it and re-did it all nice and smooth. Came out nice!

It really is a fantastic red. I might have to sand the rest of the car and give it a spray as well. Would look sexy.

Other than that I pulled the dash out so I could fix the cracks. I had no illusions about doing a nice job, just wanted it to be a bit more tidy. I decided to try a hairbrain scheme I had of grinding the cracks out with the dremel, filling with Sikaflex, sanding it smooth and then spraying with black Plastidip. Figured this setup wouldnt crack again.
    I did a pretty rough and ready job, but the outcome was a lot less shit than I expected. I could have probably done some more filling and sanding, but its good enough. I forgot to get a pic of the finished product; ill do that tonight.

that is all for now. Just waiting on a metric shittonne of parts to arrive now....

this dash crack fix is relevant to my interest.

what about flocking or covering the dash in alcantara or something instead? you painted it so gluing some stuff to it shouldn't really matter.

I think flocking it would be the ultimate solution mate, especially after doing the sikaflex fix. The sika is pretty easy to sand with an electric orbital, so if you took your time you could get a decent smooth finish. The flock would get rid of the issue of the sika fix not being vinyl textured correctly so it would look fucking good. If this wasnt a track car and more fucks were given I would probably do that too!