Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Ze GERMANS! BMW FREE-21

Is it OldGeez (?) that's got the yellow E30 with an E46 driveline in it?
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Doin more research it looks like a good donor would be a 330i, with the 3 litre 6 M54B30 - makes like 170 killer wasps. That should rocket the e21 along quick enough to kill me...
    So I need to find a dunger 330i somewhere.
    Or stick with m20. Fuck. I dunno.
    *saw shiny things and runs off*

Quote Originally Posted by 68RNR View Post
    Doin more research it looks like a good donor would be a 330i, with the 3 litre 6 M54B30 - makes like 170 killer wasps. That should rocket the e21 along quick enough to kill me...
    So I need to find a dunger 330i somewhere.
    This.
    Heck, any of the E46 sixes should be pretty fun in the little E21.
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

The M54B30 has some funky cam-control VANOS/Valvetronic tech that can make it a pain to swap into earlier chassis last time i looked into it. From (my very hazy) memory you MIGHT be able to run it on a Haltech Elite 2500. Lots of info about Americans swapping these into E30s as E46s are worth about $1.50 in the US.

The M54 3L will certainly wake the little E21 up very, very well.

Quote Originally Posted by irsa76 View Post
    What pressure does the K-Jet run at? I had a shit of a time trying to find a decent fuel pump for my Lucas PI system when I had my Triumph, they run at 110psi and the standard pumps were, well, Lucas.
    5 bar. Factory pumps are "motorsport" pumps like 044's. They flow about 300lph and will run past 5 bar without dropping.
    Last edited by Madhatr; 14-09-17 at 05:50 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buford T. Justice
    This happens every time one of these floozies starts poontangin' around with those show folk fags.

Yeah i did some more research last night and it looks like porsche and ferrari also used a similar sort of bosch system in the 80s. That isnt necessarily cool though as it looks like most of the parts are unobtanium. For example I was trying to work out how to replace the cottage cheese injector tubes.... well fucking good luck with that!! Only option seems to be to try and find some generic nylon fuel tube the same dimensions and adapt? Very odd.

We will see how it pans out. Im off to visit my new mate Sketchy over the next few weeks to salvage parts, see what i end up with!
    Go see the parts department at your local BMW. They still make parts for E21's, everything from fuel lines (they're not standard size) to carb kits and windscreens. I had to have some things like throttle cables made especially in Germany and shipped (for $82, not bad!) and hence had to wait 6 weeks, but most things can still be had. Not saying to go pay dealer prices to have the K-Jet fixed, but there'll be trim bits etc you won't be able to find anywhere else!

If you're lucky, with the chassis number they might have the cars history too. they had a lot on my car, was sold in '77 to a lady named Inga and her husband, who drove it all over Canberra and it's surrounds, it had 188,000km's on it in '92, that's when the history stops.

Last edited by FioriGuy; 15-09-17 at 03:31 AM.

That is pretty awesome man! I had no idea. So they are pretty much the opposite of every other manufacturer that basically tell you to get fucked once your car is 5 years old. Ill definately check the fuel lines out then. I found some on the net but was looking like $200 or so which is pretty rough. Thats infinitely more than the car owes me to this point....

I know its PF - and the suggestions for a mega power projects are what you really need and should do to keep us entertained over the next 4 years

but a free old BMW - just get it going and drive it.

but then again I like my old cars original

Little engine that could. itsnotagsr's Avatar
    Awesome project. I had an E21 as a first car and loved it.

Look out for rust under the chrome trim in the rear pop out windows. Bit of a water trap.
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower." - Mark Donahue Penske Porsche 917

"In Japan we no give fark for Subaru" - Trust Japan Technical Director
    (TM - AVENGE)

"You can never have enough power. I remember when we had Group B cars... THEN we had enough power!"
    Juha Kankkunen - Rally of Argentina '02

Needs alpina replica exterior, no matter whats powering it
    Quote Originally Posted by Rdyno
    70ynu has to be the most retarded cunt here. "Help me please" me "you need to remove your head" him "fuck off cunt I'm to lazy fuck off out of my thread you told me to do something I don't want to do so you're a cunt fuck off can some one please tell me an easier way???"
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripper
    Its a tight battle between you and rogercordia for the most retarded member on here, thou i think you have it by 5 window licks

Quote Originally Posted by Marv View Post
    The M54B30 has some funky cam-control VANOS/Valvetronic tech that can make it a pain to swap into earlier chassis last time i looked into it. From (my very hazy) memory you MIGHT be able to run it on a Haltech Elite 2500. Lots of info about Americans swapping these into E30s as E46s are worth about $1.50 in the US.

The M54 3L will certainly wake the little E21 up very, very well.
    Lock Vanos in high rpm position, run whatever ECU you want? Lighter car and 3.0l capacity means that the extra grunt off the bottom probably won't be missed.
    Alternatively, slot the E46 loom/ECU in?

Was looking on thr net and it might be possible to get hold of an m30b35 donk... that should go alright, and has no vanos or whatever the fuck that shit is.

M30 with a carb would be awesome, otherwise the L-jet does a good enough job.
    Quote Originally Posted by Faux Forg View Post
    I agree with Rdyno

M30B35 would be a sweet choice, Alpina did one from factory. Lead tipped bullet, but fuck me did it haul arse

Quote Originally Posted by FioriGuy View Post
    M30B35 would be a sweet choice, Alpina did one from factory. Lead tipped bullet, but fuck me did it haul arse
    x2
    lots of torque. german RB30 haha

They don't mind a spray either
    I agree with Rdyno

Quote Originally Posted by FioriGuy View Post
    Did they do an E21? The only M30 3-series I've seen were in E30s (Hartge, 333i & Alpina)

Hmm, interesting, turns out they did: https://www.alpina-automobiles.com/e...-3-series-e21/

IMHO the M30 seems a heavy engine for the little E21 chassis. Dunno the specs, but saw one on a pallet with gearbox, and it was huge.

Quote Originally Posted by Marv View Post
    M3 ITBs won't work IIRC - they are completely the wrong spacing/sizing.

Guys modifying E30s have used bike carbs in the past.
    e36 m3 throttles can work in theory they have the same 91mm bore spacing as the m20, but as said too large a diameter for a stocker or mild engine for best results
    Last edited by E30is; 16-09-17 at 02:17 PM.
    E30 325is M20 3.1L

there's a 2.7L bottom end for sale on fb bmw 2002 group page for $500, if relevant..

Hmm. Dunno about fit wise, i was basing everything on the 3.5 litre being the same overall dimensions as the 2.3... i spose that was kinda a stupid thing to think really.... 2.7 bottom end could be a go. Do that and stick with the more modern injection idea maybe and retrofit a later model intake manifold.

Needs a bit of hammering of firewall apparently.

Yeah they are bigger, but they have been transplanted into e21s enough that id be suprised if there wasnt a step by step conversion process for them.
    On the other hand, you can get 3.1ish from mixing and matching m20 and S5x parts. Just makes it diesely undeesquare
    Quote Originally Posted by Rdyno
    70ynu has to be the most retarded cunt here. "Help me please" me "you need to remove your head" him "fuck off cunt I'm to lazy fuck off out of my thread you told me to do something I don't want to do so you're a cunt fuck off can some one please tell me an easier way???"
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripper
    Its a tight battle between you and rogercordia for the most retarded member on here, thou i think you have it by 5 window licks

a stock m30 is not that torquey or powerful.....m54B30 would be a decent swap and has the superior vanos to earlier engines or a m50/52 with the m54b30 gizzards
    E30 325is M20 3.1L

They aren't but are more than happy to rev to limiter and stay up there without fear of going bang. They do snap cams though but I don't know of anyone that's happened to that has been from thrashing it
    I agree with Rdyno

Apparently the M30 cam snapping thing is when people install the oil spray bars backwards.

So basically LS1 is the go.....

Was looking on thr net and it might be possible to get hold of an m30b35 donk... that should go alright, and has no vanos or whatever the fuck that shit is.
    Yeah, don't do this. It will handle like a cow pointing down a muddy hill.

Just get it running with the 2.3 and enjoy it for what it is first, these things have so much theatre and soul with the stock gear running right and give you a massive grin everytime you get in. If you don't enjoy it, giving it more power won't make it better.

If you want to make it fast in future then get the 1JZ back and bolt that in, or better yet a 2JZ for crazy off boost torque which will be a doddle once you have the 1J all bolted in and running....
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimi View Post
    80mm of penetration isn't bad, i wish i had that much.
    Quote Originally Posted by schnitzelburger View Post
    My entire working career pretty much consists of suckin dick and takin names.

Sometimes im too busy to take names.

Ok ok fine. Logic prevails. Ill catch up with you in the next fortnight to work out how to get the current thing running. In the interim old mate who I sold 1J to actually wants his car painted so might be able to do some sort of deal where he gives me my engine back as part payment... winning!

I gather you in Brisbane, I've got a mate that between us have gotten the unrunnable running pretty easily. Sketchy knows the bloke too
    I agree with Rdyno