Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Track Guide : SMSP North

Track Guide : SMSP North

Did SMSP North with the BMW DC NSW.

1.17.1810 (Natsoft) - Stock as a rock/Hankook RS3's (3rd meeting+road use)

Need to pull at least another 1.5seconds out of this bitch.

Where am I fucking up, how do I nail turn 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8UEK65uO3A
    Panzer Wagen

M-Cars follow the idea that power should be felt & not seen

I gained almost 1.5 seconds by being told how to do turn 2 properly but I think
    youre one of my haters so work it out yourself.
    I told them I once raced cars (total lie ) pissed them right off I will think of something bigger.

turbosurfer

Quote Originally Posted by turbosurfer View Post
    LOL, why bother posting at all - get fucked man.

And for the record... I gave you credit, when you first got here. But still, get fucked.
    Panzer Wagen

Nobody gives me credit here because I don't deserve any. Any way I still improved by almost 1.5 seconds.
    I told them I once raced cars (total lie ) pissed them right off I will think of something bigger.

turbosurfer

Brake later, stay wider and turn in later.
    If you dig a hole and it is in the wrong place, digging it deeper isn't going to help.

Police warn that blow-up dolls are not recognised floatation devices.

at turn 2 , the instructors say to turn in mid track and follow the seam in the tarmac then late apex. I notice the v8's, time attack and most of the quicker cars turn in earlier and hug the curb all the way. The other option is the way you did.
    The last corner coming on to the straight you missed the apex, you should apex right at the end of the ripple strip. Turn one is where the gains are

Opens
    I gained almost 1.5 seconds by being told how to do turn 2 properly
    Wow, I wouldn't admit that. Good on you man for saying that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Jones View Post
    Sneakers prompted the erection. Engine stand made me do something with it

Quote Originally Posted by AndyMac View Post
    Did SMSP North with the BMW DC NSW.

1.17.1810 (Natsoft) - Stock as a rock/Hankook RS3's (3rd meeting+road use)

Need to pull at least another 1.5seconds out of this bitch.

Where am I fucking up, how do I nail turn 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8UEK65uO3A
    I think your double apex in turn 2 in this video is the defensive line, try staying out to the right in the braking area on the approach to 2, then a single very late apex. It's a hairpin, so you want to make the radius of your turn as wide as possible to carry as much exit speed as you can into 3. Edit: Assuming the surface out to the right in the braking zone is OK, not covered in dust, marbles, etc. If necessary, come across a little to the left until you are braking on clean track.
    Last edited by Sprinkles; 04-09-17 at 05:52 PM.

Opens
    I'd say the second part of turn 2 was ok but yeah too tight on the braking part of the first apex. I'd be letting the car drift a bit wider out of 3, and you seem slightly too early on the entry of the last corner onto the straight. I'd be keeping it tighter for longer so you can really let the steering angle out before the exit kerb.

Turn 2 is a double apex, you've got it about right just need to learn to carry more speed, and brake really fucking late lol.

Your biggest gain will be confidence and line through turn 1. You're missing the apex on a few of the others as well though, especially the last corner onto the straight. And you should be able to carry more speed across 4/5, though it's tricky, you can go very wide at the exit.

Opens
    It's tricky to tell the position of the car based on where the camera is. Looks like you're missing apexes but can't see the front of the car.

Thanks Guys.

Camera is mounted in the passenger side lower air intake. So right about the centre of the front passenger side wheel.

The car isn't perfect, felt floaty into turn 1, so there was some defensive driving there, and lack of balls too I guess, turn 2 was the one I really felt I was fucking up, I had a "V" type shape in my head, but couldn't really get the car settled enough to turn it back in, I originally thought I might of been coming in way too hot, so I went back to halfway following the kerb around and the "V" shape...

Had an off on 4/5 earlier, realised I was turning in earlier on 5. started to "get" it later and allowed the car to drift further out on exit. Really surprised how badly I was doing the final turn though, I thought too tight and it would bind the car up and bog it down.

Thanks for the pointers... happy there is a lot of time left on the table at least.
    Panzer Wagen

Turn 2 is a tricky, decreasing radius corner.
    It's very easy to get on the power too early, then having to back off and back on again costing time.

When learning the track, triangulation is the key as per the diagram. The crack running along the corner entry used to be a good reference point to follow as mentioned.
    The triangulation method is much easier as you can get all your braking done, then turn in and transition to throttle.

The double apex method is more advanced and few get it right. It's a more defensive line and the line I took when racing bikes there to stop people stuffing it up the inside. The double apex method allows a much faster entry speed and requires deep (trail) braking into the corner past the first apex. You have to slow down somewhere and it's past the first apex where the turn in is very slow when braking is finished.

Diagram below shows the first method, one I recommend for non door to door supersprints, unless you are a high level pro like Turboturd.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6705.JPG 
Views:	8 
Size:	860.1 KB 
ID:	101578  
    BMW M140i daily.
    Honda Odyssey.
    FG XR6T ZF - Road registered 410rwkw Circuit car.

Wakefield 1.07.386 (Street Tyres 1.08.8) Marulan Short 43.4 SMP GP 1.48.1 Winton 1.35.4

Andy, do you have any means of recording your speed? Racechrono, Harrys, etc? You can try some different lines, the one that gives you the highest top speed between turn 3 and 4 is the best one for you. Having played your video again with sound, I can hear you are not getting full throttle around 3, so getting maximum exit speed out of 2 if it then buggers you up for 3 isn't going to be how you get your fastest lap.

Yeah, I had Racechrono on board, but didn't have the external beacon connected (left it on the bike!).

Looks like I hit 207kph at the end of the grandstand and coasted it through T1, which I'm think is too early on the brakes.
    Hit about 150kph top speed before T4, again, probably braking early. 96 through T4/T5...

Side note, what's everyone using for brakes up front ? I had DS2500's in, and can't say I loved them (not blaming them by any means)

I have footage from inside the car, might give a better view, and I'll do the speed overlay.
    Panzer Wagen

In car video is useful if we can see your hands on the wheel.

And it does sound like you are rolling off the throttle into 1, which is what Shane said above. You want to be hard on the throttle, or hard on the brakes.

Project Mu Club Racer pads for us, love them, worth 1.5 seconds at Wakefield compared to QFMs.

Wish I could get >200 KPH down the straight! Current best is 1:20.4 on North but I'm only hitting about 175 at the end of the GS.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyMac View Post
    Yeah, I had Racechrono on board, but didn't have the external beacon connected (left it on the bike!).

Looks like I hit 207kph at the end of the grandstand and coasted it through T1, which I'm think is too early on the brakes.
    Hit about 150kph top speed before T4, again, probably braking early. 96 through T4/T5...

Side note, what's everyone using for brakes up front ? I had DS2500's in, and can't say I loved them (not blaming them by any means)

I have footage from inside the car, might give a better view, and I'll do the speed overlay.

Quote Originally Posted by Sprinkles View Post
    You want to be hard on the throttle, or hard on the brakes.
    ........and drive a 70kw Barina.........
    BMW M140i daily.
    Honda Odyssey.

Wakefield 1.07.386 (Street Tyres 1.08.8) Marulan Short 43.4 SMP GP 1.48.1 Winton 1.35.4

Ya short changed me 4kw Nelsonian!

101 is short changed period. But his ego is far from it.

turbosurfer

101 is short changed period. But his ego is far from it.
    Just ask if you need help or advice with anything mate.
    BMW M140i daily.
    Honda Odyssey.

That's very kind of you 101 whats youre thoughts on the surf at Cronulla point
    next Saturday should be between 8 to 10ft. Do you think I should surf the 6ft 5in
    quad or the 7ft thruster? Looking forward to your reply.

turbosurfer

That's very kind of you 101 whats youre thoughts on the surf at Cronulla point
    next Saturday should be between 8 to 10ft. Do you think I should surf the 6ft 5in
    quad or the 7ft thruster? Looking forward to your reply.
    You have your forums confused. This is a car forum.

They know you well here, and should be able to assist.

http://www.gaysurfers.net/forums/
    BMW M140i daily.
    Honda Odyssey.

It depends on how much volume in the 6'5 quad. I'd take that out if it was around 32 litres or so. If it's solid 10ft, then the 7'0 would be better. But then again, you're a small guy, so maybe the 6'5 for you.

I reckon that would be bloody hilarious at your race driving school where you're standing up instructing the class and just lose your shit at some pupil and throw a full face helmet at them because you're pretty sure you maybe don't like them.
    xw Falcon 393 full race cam, NGK spark plugs.

There's at least 3 ways to do T2. The popular one is the double apex 'square turn' but to be honest I think this is more suited to door to door as a way of protecting your place by taking a very early 1st apex. It still works but you do lose time sailing out wide before having to pay the piper with the sharper / squarer turn before trying to get back on the loud pedal as early as possible. I have seen fast cars take a medium wide entry to T2 but then are able to accelerate earlier and faster out of the last apex. Then there's just the hug the inside line all the way through. Data will give you the answer.

EDIT: Looks like I pretty much agree with N101.
    Last edited by 333pg333; 04-09-17 at 10:26 PM.

^Pat i agree, my quickest times have always been really late turn in and follow the seam in one apex but the hardcore racers will all say double apex is quicker. Personslly i've always double apexed only when i have a car on my arse to stop them dive bombing me, very likely i'm doing the double apex wrong thi. T2 is a very technical corner, one of if not the the most important of the entire track.

^ how much time to think is in T2 when you get it right vs that was ok sort of?

Mr Rust I dont have a race driving school !!!

turbosurfer

Opens

Youtube recently did have SVG in-car driving north in one of those V8 drive day experiences, with him doing both lines for the 2 lap passenger run...of course can't find it now!