Thread: Oscilloscope advice

Oscilloscope advice

Probably about time I purchased an oscilloscope, given I've got an ECU installation in my near future. I have a tiny workshop with lots of gear already crammed in it, so would prefer to avoid buying a benchtop model, and would also prefer avoiding the $500+ price tag, if I can get something small and good enough for automotive use.

Given I can provide a screen and computing power via a laptop, is there any reason not to get this little USB 'scope:

https://www.jaycar.com.au/20mhz-usb-...scope/p/QC1929

If that's no good, what about this hand held unit, looks like it's about the size of a multi meter:

https://www.jaycar.com.au/10mhz-4000...e-dmm/p/QM1577

Experience and knowledgeable advice appreciated.

Interested bystander
    I would really try and get a 4 channel model. Two channel is never enough if you are trying to diagnose anything beyond really basic.

Quote Originally Posted by elfturbomax View Post
    I would really try and get a 4 channel model. Two channel is never enough if you are trying to diagnose anything beyond really basic.
    Thanks for that, good point. So would buying two of those 2 channel USB models resolve that? Assume I would need to have two laptops on hand, but that's not an issue.

I recently went through something similar and I ended up I buying a Hantek DSO 6074BE IV, which is a USB 4 channel 70mhz, 1G/s, plug it into a laptop and away you go.

http://www.hantek.com/en/ProductDetail_10163.html

There are a number of kit variants that have different connector etc, but they're designed for cars, including the software but it's also a reasonable general purpose oscilloscope. In the IV kit I have there are all sorts of connectors for bosch/denso injectors, needle probes, CAS connectors, current probes and more.

I used it to measure the injector dead times on my car.

Main thing for me was there were some good YouTube video explaining how to set it up, which help immensely.

20MHz is pretty low for a scope but probably fine for most automotive stuff like sensors

I would always say 4 channels too. You need a 4 channel unit as 2 x 2 channels won't trigger together or sync easily and will be a general shit fight and that's before you get to the crazy idea of two laptops... At worst you should be aiming for running two copies of the application. Forget that fuck around.

Those handheld things are pretty basic, limited bandwidth etc.

Hantek looks like the go then. I've got a 4 channel Agilent, but its not small.
    Dirty Subaru owner

I've got a Hantek benchtop unit (also have one of their signal generators), great piece of kit, lots of features/capability for the $ you pay.
    GT-P
    Bandsenkowagon

Purist, whats that? Jason Broadhurst's Avatar
    2 is fine usually, but requires some lead changing.

For instance, I have 2, but multiple spare leads. I will use Ch2 for Home, then Ch1 for ref with the trigger, then change Ch2 to injector outs, ignition outs, whatever is going to pulse WRT the ref wheel.

Very rarely do you NEED to see more than 2 signals at a time, and even if you do it's the same amount of work just with an extra lead plug in between.

I was scoping a optical distributor which was triggering a crane cams ignition module the other day. The optical output from the dissy was just a 8 pulse/2 revs wave and on Ch1. I then scoped negative coil with the Ch2 to see the 8 coil charges and back EMF. I then moved Ch2 to my inductive pickup and placed it on the coil lead to see the 8 spark events through the coil lead. This picked up 1 in 8 wasn't firing, as it was like a missing tooth waveform. Turned out to be an unplugged spark plug lead LOL but I had confirmed all the inputs to the module, and all the outputs all the way to the plugs.
    Jason Broadhurst

Someone once asked me if they could use my mower. I said "sure, so long as it doesn't leave my yard"

Thanks boys. That Hantek looks like the go, and I like the idea of the videos on Youtube as training Garrett. Any tips on where to buy?

i have a 2 channel usb one and a 4 channel hand held... the usb one gets the most use..
    im a cunt
    and apparently i dont know shit...

I've got a 2 channel hantek. Works a treat. Easy to set up and even comes to the track. I mainly use it for finding faults in cam/crank signals.