Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Digital 1/2 inch Torque Wrench on a budget

Digital 1/2 inch Torque Wrench on a budget

My Grandfathers Warren and Brown wrench has been really good considering it's easily 50 years old but I think it's time to update.

I have a few per-requisites, hopefully nothing too out of the ordinary.

1/2 inch drive
    Nm/ft lb/in lb
    reverse thread function
    some sort of memory function for a few "most used" settings
    angle meter (Harley heads require a certain torque, then 90deg from there, it's fuckin stupid)

I'm not made of money, so a budget of about $400 would be about my limit.

Any suggestions welcome.

Watching with interest. I also have an old school torque wrench, the scale only goes down to 20 foot pounds, something with a lower scale would be handy

Not digital, but I picked up a second hand SanpOn and had it calibrated. I should really go find a 1/4 drive one.

Those W&Bs go forever.
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

yep, 20-30 ft lb is as low as they go in 1/2 inch squre drive, I do have requirements for below this plenty of times. Seems like I need 2 wrenches

I've just found this

http://wbtools.com.au/products/digit...ngle-wrenches/

the 1/2 inch drive should get me out of 95% of trouble with that range.

Quote Originally Posted by brasher View Post
    yep, 20-30 ft lb is as low as they go in 1/2 inch squre drive, I do have requirements for below this plenty of times. Seems like I need 2 wrenches
    My 3/8 snapon goes up to 110ft lb or something - I occasionally need something smaller, have never needed bigger though.
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

we got these, no idea of price though.

http://www.acdelco-tools.com/index.p...product_id=165

that also looks to be right up my alley, thanks Fondles.

Trying to get a price on that W&B one.

There is a company that makes the snap-on ones and they sell them for half the price but I don't think you get the fancy ratchet head though.

I have a snap-on auto clicker big rectangle body 1/2 for big jobs and a snap-on electronic 3/8 wrench the 3/8 is important for accuracy the larger the value becomes the more % accuracy you can get away with which is why I have a big clunker 1/2 drive one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord_fahrquhar View Post
    The au put the fucking tunnel in with the bullbar. Even Chuck Norris respects the ability of the au coon.

would running a 5/8th adapter fuck with the figures?

Say for bike axle nuts which I dont have in 1/2 inch, would using the 5/8th's adapter put the wrench out at all? Same for extensions I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by brasher View Post
    would running a 5/8th adapter fuck with the figures?

Say for bike axle nuts which I dont have in 1/2 inch, would using the 5/8th's adapter put the wrench out at all? Same for extensions I suppose.
    Slightly. For this very reason one day I will buy a norbar torque checker.
    The au put the fucking tunnel in with the bullbar. Even Chuck Norris respects the ability of the au coon.

adaptors and extensions won't fuck with the torque reading. Crow's feet will of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Gammaboy View Post
    adaptors and extensions won't fuck with the torque reading. Crow's feet will of course.
    No the longer the extension the more of an effect it will have on the torque reading.

Those warren and brown ones look pretty nice. I wouldn't mind a couple for my toolbox so watching with interest.

Quote Originally Posted by Rdyno View Post
    No the longer the extension the more of an effect it will have on the torque reading.
    Why would it affect the reading on the torque wrench ?

Nope.
    Maybe if you're using a rattle gun.

The flex that the extension takes up is lost energy that never makes it to the fastener. If I had a torque checker I would demonstrate the effect to you.

The flex that the extension takes up is lost energy that never makes it to the fastener. If I had a torque checker I would demonstrate the effect to you.
    Righto, so dont use a standard socket an 3" extension if you have a deep socket that will suit.

Quote Originally Posted by Fondles View Post
    Righto, so dont use a standard socket an 3" extension if you have a deep socket that will suit.
    In that case if it's it 1/2 drive I highly doubt there would be flex but when I use my 750mm 3/8 extension with a thin shaft as it's a wobble head dive you can actually see it twisting.

While that is exactly how the torque absorbers used by tyre shop monkeys to rattle gun customer wheel nuts on to 6 ugga duggas works, under a (relatively) static load the torque applied to one end of the extension is realised at the other end - it doesn't magically dissappear to the land of pixies and unicorns in the middle of the extension somewhere.
    If you had a torque checker, you'd know you were wrong.

In that case if it's it 1/2 drive I highly doubt there would be flex but when I use my 750mm 3/8 extension with a thin shaft as it's a wobble head dive you can actually see it twisting.
    I though wobble head extensions are a no no on torque wrenches unless you have a means to hold it at 90 degrees.

under a (relatively) static load the torque applied to one end of the extension is realised at the other end - it doesn't magically dissappear to the land of pixies and unicorns in the middle of the extension somewhere.
    Newton's third law ?

Quote Originally Posted by Fondles View Post
    Newton's third law ?
    Yep.
    But Dyno is all knowing and smarter than everyone.

Not digital, but I picked up a second hand SanpOn and had it calibrated. I should really go find a 1/4 drive one.

Those W&Bs go forever.
    Check out the Park TW5. Park is the SnapOn of cycling tools.

I may consider selling my Digital Snap-On Torque Wrench if you can come up to $6-700 . I've only used it once , it's such a cool tool but I'm never gonna use it

Quote Originally Posted by 2Avoid View Post
    I may consider selling my Digital Snap-On Torque Wrench if you can come up to $6-700 . I've only used it once , it's such a cool tool but I'm never gonna use it
    are you prepared to put it on torque checker that rdyno does no have ?

What the fuck are you talking about.

Shut up, you're wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bosshoggett View Post
    If your planing to drive this on the road and enjoy it, id suggest a second opinion, someone with a history in Australian Rally or Fink River . If your just playing dyno comps. Then ok

Serious question; what exactly is it that makes a digital torque wrench better than an analogue one?
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlin
    Chickens will slip under water in the cover of darkness like a seal team and FUCK YOU UP.

The fact you have to change batteries on the cunt?

The answer is Warren and brown deflecting beam, end thread. Simple and works. Get it cal'd every 12-24 months if you really care about torqueing.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by da9jeff; 23-09-17 at 01:38 PM.
    Tow car/camping bus: 2011 D40 Navara ST

Baby mobile: 2016 Nissan Qashqai

75 Mini Clubman club racer - DCOE powah

I have a cheapy Teng Tools one. Calibration is $60 and the guy picks up from my work and delivers once done.

So far has kept it's calibration. I look after it a bit with it staying in it's original plastic case in a draw so it doesn't get dropped, knocked and stuff. If you're on a tight budget I reckon it suits most home applications.

At $400 would you get a little certificate saying it's calibrated?