Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Digital 1/2 inch Torque Wrench on a budget

\/ \/ My motivation \/ \/ ALLMTR's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cracka View Post
    What the fuck are you talking about.

Shut up, you're wrong.
    I think he's right, I'm going to fit a shorter diff in my car for increased torques
    1jz Rolla Van ....... 11.6 at 124mph

"Reacher figured if he could put that drivetrain in some battered old sedan body, then that would be his kind of car"

Quote Originally Posted by Sprinkles View Post
    Check out the Park TW5. Park is the SnapOn of cycling tools.
    I actually went and looked at a bunch of 1/4 drive torque wrenches after I posted that - have bought a cheapy intended for bike stuff that will do for what I need. If it's junk i'll look for something better, but I've only got about 6 M6 socket heads that need a conservative torque to stop some axle clamps from cracking (which they are prone to do). Just wanted something to stop me over tightening.
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

I can get CAT branded ratchet wrenches through my work. They are rebadged Blue Point wrenches. PM me if you need some prices

I ask you guys that think extensions don't change torque next time you are building and engine put on two 750mm 3/8 drive extensions together so 1500mm and torque your head bolts.

Thats what I though no takers so shut your mouths and stop attacking me at every word I say.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord_fahrquhar View Post
    The au put the fucking tunnel in with the bullbar. Even Chuck Norris respects the ability of the au coon.

Quote Originally Posted by Rdyno View Post
    I ask you guys that think extensions don't change torque next time you are building and engine put on two 750mm 3/8 drive extensions together so 1500mm and torque your head bolts.

Thats what I though no takers so shut your mouths and stop attacking me at every word I say.
    Holy shit, what kinda engine would require 1.5 metres of 3/8th extension to do up a head bolt ?

Quote Originally Posted by Fondles View Post
    Holy shit, what kinda engine would require 1.5 metres of 3/8th extension to do up a head bolt ?
    Your head after they try and correct your cuntisim by surgery.
    The au put the fucking tunnel in with the bullbar. Even Chuck Norris respects the ability of the au coon.

Your head after they try and correct your cuntisim by surgery.

So such an engine does not exist, just as I thought so that makes you pathetic scenario using 2 extensions that long completely void.

Go back to bed little boy.

I would say you're only risking the biscuit once you reach the torsional twist limit of said extension.. anything underneath that there is not really any torque lost as the exact same torque is applied to the socket as the extension.

while the 'spring' would be irritating to use - the amount of twisting force on the fastener would still be exactly equal to the twisting force at the head of the wrench.. the energy that you put in once the fastener is tightish that winds up the extensions will be exactly returned - 0 loss, eg if you can twist the extensions 30 degrees before moving the fastener, when you release the force against the wrench, it will return back that 30 degrees - no energy is lost or absorbed, just stored for a little while.

the same can not be said for impact - or for removing fasteners, because the spikes in force will be stored in the extension.
    This is a post i wrote by mistake, which is nice...

PF GT5 whore car list https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?...thkey=CPKNmOIJ

B̶e̶v̶e̶r̶l̶y̶ ̶H̶i̶l̶l̶s̶,̶ ̶C̶A̶ Baulkham Hills, NSW
    For what it's worth, I bought one of these TTI 1/2" drive wrenches from Total Tools for $149..

Not digital but it's got a nice scale on it. Up to 350Nm +/-3%, at that price it's gotta be worth a punt.
    Jaguar XJR, Freelander 2 HSE, Jaguar XKR

Quote Originally Posted by Marv View Post
    Look, just because you drive a couple of imported luxo Pommy cars doesn't mean you need to act like an Imperialistic Lapdog and be the last bastion of defence for Straya The Beaut's mid-20th-Century ideals

i think the TTi ones are all norbar wrenches right? In which case should be pretty decent. Unless Norbar calls their wrenches TTi or something? lol
    Last edited by nuk1ear; 25-09-17 at 09:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gammaboy View Post
    I actually went and looked at a bunch of 1/4 drive torque wrenches after I posted that - have bought a cheapy intended for bike stuff that will do for what I need.
    What brand?

The good bike tools are very good. Designed for working on really lightweight carbon fibre parts, where the range between loose and broken due to over-tightening is very narrow.

Edit:

Not worth it, seagull will just shit on the board etc.

You're a muppet.
    Last edited by cracka; 25-09-17 at 10:28 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bosshoggett View Post
    If your planing to drive this on the road and enjoy it, id suggest a second opinion, someone with a history in Australian Rally or Fink River . If your just playing dyno comps. Then ok

What brand?

The good bike tools are very good. Designed for working on really lightweight carbon fibre parts, where the range between loose and broken due to over-tightening is very narrow.
    It's a $50 Venzo - it'll probably be shit, but current budget doesn't extend to a 1/4" WB, Park or Snapon. It'll be good enough for the job though - i'm not using it on something super sensitive to torque levels, just to stop me overtorquing some very hard to replace parts...

Head retension on a Suzuki Carry required using a long-ish wobble drive extension - was never concerned about the torque being off, but between the wind up of the reduced diameter shaft, and the reduced cross section of the wobble head it was a pain in the arse - you just have to not bounce the torque wrench, but the whole time you have this feeling that the woble head is going to shear off at the root.

Dyno - Y' canna change the laws of physics man.
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

I don't have any Venzo tools so can't comment on the quality. How much have you used it?

I don't have any Venzo tools so can't comment on the quality. How much have you used it?
    I haven't yet - it's on it's way.

Quote Originally Posted by Fondles View Post
    we got these, no idea of price though.

http://www.acdelco-tools.com/index.p...product_id=165
    That looks disturbingly similar to the snap-on one i borrowed to do the heads on LSJuan.. pretty much everything except the snap-on handle/grip... it was the shiz-nit..
    This is a post i wrote by mistake, which is nice...

PF GT5 whore car list https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?...thkey=CPKNmOIJ

Norbar, but not digital.
    I got my 1/2" drive norbar reversing torque wrench 23 years ago, it's checked every 6 months but has never in 23 years of constant use needed recalibrating.
    I've also got a little 3/8" drive Norbar I've had for about 8 years, same story, never needed recalibrating.

PS - Rdyno - you're wrong, deal with it.

I did try to point out a few reasons he is so very wrong, and misguided because some other tyre changer told him about elastic torque limiting extensions with impact guns, so he ran with it. But it's futile, youngs modulus doesn't apply to rdyno; torque just disappears to pixiefairyland. Easier to just not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bosshoggett View Post
    If your planing to drive this on the road and enjoy it, id suggest a second opinion, someone with a history in Australian Rally or Fink River . If your just playing dyno comps. Then ok

Physics. It's the silent killer.

Quote Originally Posted by Faux Forg View Post
    Serious question; what exactly is it that makes a digital torque wrench better than an analogue one?
    The angle meter thing is a big time saver over those stupid angle gauges that you have to locate on something. Other than that I don't see a major advantage
    Quote Originally Posted by RVK 355 View Post
    Hold it flat cunt

Purist, whats that? Jason Broadhurst's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Faux Forg View Post
    Serious question; what exactly is it that makes a digital torque wrench better than an analogue one?
    A wheatstone bridge sensing element is stronger and more robust than a mechanical clicker type. It will be more accurate and enduring - just needs a box of batteries beside it.

The electrical measuring device can be as little as a pin head, within a large cross sectional area bar.
    Jason Broadhurst

Someone once asked me if they could use my mower. I said "sure, so long as it doesn't leave my yard"

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Broadhurst View Post
    A wheatstone bridge sensing element is stronger and more robust than a mechanical clicker type. It will be more accurate and enduring
    Unless you use a torque wrench in adverse conditions
    I could drop my W&B and CDI wrenches in a drum of oil, fish them out a week later and given some cleaning, will work fine.

Not a fan of electronic ones for that reason but I dont use mine in clean rooms building engines etc
    Quote Originally Posted by cracka View Post
    Fuck I'm retarded

Quote Originally Posted by Motherfucker Jones View Post
    The angle meter thing is a big time saver over those stupid angle gauges that you have to locate on something. Other than that I don't see a major advantage
    yep, this is probably the only real reason I'm requiring digital to be honest, besides been able to plug in the exact torque figure.

I got the day off today so will drop down to Taren Pt where all the tool shops are and have a look.

Rdyno is about as sharp as a bowling ball, so it's totally understandable
    E30 325is M20 3.1L

Quote Originally Posted by E30is View Post
    Rdyno is about as sharp as a bowling ball, so it's totally understandable
    To be fair his 2 x 750mm long 3/8th's extensions are most likely made from recycled beer cans so his experience with torque disappearing into pixiefairyland is most probably accurate based on his experience.

Don't worry guys I'm in the process of making up a jig to prove me correct. There is certain factors that have not been thought of every one is thinking in terms of a shaft supported via two bearings either end. When I prove this property of torque wrenches I bet I will still get called a retard but hey at least I know I'm right.

Don't worry guys I'm in the process of making up a jig to prove me correct. There is certain factors that have not been thought of every one is thinking in terms of a shaft supported via two bearings either end. When I prove this property of torque wrenches I bet I will still get called a retard but hey at least I know I'm right.

Proving science wrong, you gunna be minted mate.

When I prove this property of torque wrenches I bet I will still get called a retard but hey at least I know they're right.
    Fixed that for you.