Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Time for a new tow car, so bought the cheapest Cayenne on carsales

Chairbourn ranger! Mike Lowrrryyy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stix Zadinia View Post
    i don't think that's a real-world reading - i get 23 on a good day... ( with the N/A V8 mainly without using the throttle at every opportunity) but it's been down to 19
    Something very wrong there. I get mid teens around town and down to 11ís on the hwy.

Quote Originally Posted by cossie55 View Post
    fixed the trailer lights with this little mod:

Attachment 102314

Overall impression was that it will be a very capable tow car.
    Can you give me a some more info about what you have done here? Iíve just replaced the lights on my box trailer with new LEDís.

I got 12 on the highway yesterday on a few hundred Kms, probably should adjust my driving style

Have also done 25kms past 'distance to empty' after 0, so maybe the computer is wrong

die, cost $4000 and aren't rebuildable - my mechanic only did 2 our of all the cayennes he worked on though
    but there's plenty at the wreckers
    Depends on what has died, from a quick search it's the bearings that die, which are replaceable. If it's damaged a gear then it appears to be a bin job though. Changing the diff oil seems to help them live, dad changed the diff oil in his t-reg @160k, the recommened interval apparently, and it wasn't real healthy.

how was it after the change? was it groaning beforehand?

His was fine, changed because it was due rather than any noise.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Lowrrryyy View Post
    Can you give me a some more info about what you have done here? Iíve just replaced the lights on my box trailer with new LEDís.
    Looks like a bunch of parallel load resistors (one on each trailer bulb line) to the white earth return. No resistor on the blue - that is the service brake warning line.
    Can't make out the colour code, but 8 ohms is pretty normal (to simulate a 21w light bulb load). Those resistors don't look like 20 watts though...
    Dirty Subaru owner

Just wanted to follow up with a thanks fellers. Did this myself today and it works like a champ.

Cheers.

Follow up to follow up it looks like I'm getting some heat build up. Might have to take it a step further and build a better solution.

would be interesting to see what's in the box of tricks that is a few hundred bucks, i'm not that keen to cut mine open though

Had one in the other day wanted to be traded in 2006 ? With 250K

It was a manual 4.4 litre

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Lowrrryyy View Post
    Follow up to follow up it looks like I'm getting some heat build up. Might have to take it a step further and build a better solution.
    Might be worth a bit of googling to see how much current the circuit needs to detect, so it doesnít barf.
    You could try 32 ohm resistors, they would only be sinking 5 Watts, rather that 20
    Dirty Subaru owner

Mine gets hot also, but I have done many hours on it now, and it works a treat, I just ignore the heat, it isn't so hot that I am yet concerned

What resistors did you use cossie?
    Dirty Subaru owner

Regarding towing, my 955 Turbo returns about 18l per 100 towing my tandem axle 8x5 box trailer.
    Last edited by Berty; 05-01-18 at 05:46 AM.

Not sure. A friend specified the resistors and supplied them. I just built the adapter. It does work perfectly, and I seem to need it on every trailer. I can send you a full responsibility image so you can see what they are.

Sounds good - just a close up of one of the resistors is fine, so we can read the colour code
    Dirty Subaru owner

is this one any better?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_2332.JPG 
Views:	27 
Size:	817.2 KB 
ID:	104079  

Yep, perfect.
    They're 7 ohm 5% resistors. They'll be getting bloody hot, as they'll have to be dumping ~20 watts each of heat when they're on.
    Dirty Subaru owner

There's no way those resistors will handle 20W for very long. 1 or 2W at best.

I really don't know much other than I have used them for probably 10 hours or towing so far without issue, but I am willing to take advice from others on what to do instead.

If you're concerned, I'd grab a metal jiffy box from jaycar or altronics, then a bunch of these resistors
    https://au.rs-online.com/web/p/panel...stors/1074147/
    Mount the resistors to the jiffy box, and put it somewhere it will get some airflow, then rewire through that.
    Dirty Subaru owner

Opens
    makes sense to just intercept the trailer connector with the special adapter. alloy jiffy box (as above) as a heatsink is a great idea

Fuck. Shouldn't have opened this thread.
    This seems like a horrible bandwagon, but it's a bandwagon I'm considering jumping on..

edit: ex-Porka tech mate of mine says brakes and tyres are 15k lifespan. Coolant pipes in the valley split and leak - engine out. Air bags are a ticking time bomb - literally blow up.
    Last edited by Cock Fist; 05-01-18 at 09:35 AM.
    2003 Toyota ST246W Caldina GT-Four N-Edition
    2001 Nissan NM35 Stagea RS Four V
    1995 Yamaha SRV250 Classic
    1980 Kawasaki KZ750E

Youíre mates full of it.
    Iíve done the brakes once in the last 100,000klms and put 2 sets of tyres on in 175,000klms. Coolant pipes is intake off nothing more.

Tyres have been Goodyear F1 SUV tyres both times.

Edit: If your mates a Porsche tech and if he following the book 1000% there are things like cam sensors that the book tells you is intake off. If youíre not a fucking spastic you can work out the you can pull the air pumps out of the way by undoing 3 bolts (part of intake off job) and reach down to and pull the sensors out. My wife did it in under an hour.
    Last edited by Mike Lowrrryyy; 05-01-18 at 10:14 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by S View Post
    I just want to apologise for some of my shit talking back around page 5.

I've never seen a real Porsche technician take the engine out to change the coolant pipes, I've seen a few cars at my mechanic with their air pumps etc off for this very job (with the engine in the car)

I brake hard all the time and have done more than 15,000kms on brakes that were on the car when i bought it, there's still plenty left when i last had it on a hoist.

and the air bags aren't Takata.

like 996's there's lots of doom and gloom on the internet about these cars which is great for pushing the value down. when people find out it isn't as big a problem as the internet says we'll see what happens.
    Last edited by Stix Zadinia; 05-01-18 at 10:22 AM.

I've never seen a real Porsche technician take the engine out to change the coolant pipes, I've seen a few cars at my mechanic with their air pumps etc off for this very job (with the engine in the car)

I brake hard all the time and have done more than 15,000kms on brakes that were on the car when i bought it, there's still plenty left when i last had it on a hoist.

and the air bags aren't Takata.

like 996's there's lots of doom and gloom on the internet about these cars which is great for pushing the value down. when people find out it isn't as big a problem as the internet says we'll see what happens.
    Air bags = suspension, not the ones that shoot sharp shit at your face in a crash.

Fair enough on the rest of the stuff. Though he may have been exaggerating a little, as about 15 mins prior I had asked him to talk me out of this bandwagon. He very nearly did, but continued to send me links to cars of interest on carsales, so he undid any progress he had made in talking me out of it.
    2003 Toyota ST246W Caldina GT-Four N-Edition
    2001 Nissan NM35 Stagea RS Four V
    1995 Yamaha SRV250 Classic
    1980 Kawasaki KZ750E

it was a Porsche dealership technician that snapped the harness side clips off my air flow meters - so the plugs are now taped on. They're meant to unclip and it takes 2 seconds to do it without breaking it.

Semi-related, I've been looking a grabbing a 2012-2015 Touareg with the 3 litre turbo diesel. Looked at a few now and they all have evidence of oil leaks, some at the front of the motor, some the back. Seems to be 'normal' to have a bit of oil around from something, but is there a deal breaker area for the oil to appear? Assuming rear main seal ones are a pain in the arse, are others just from emissions systems blow by or something?

If anyone has a 180kw air suspension version without silly km they want to part with, let me know. A 4X motion one would be a bonus.

ewww