Thread: The 65 Falcon sedan gamble.

The 65 Falcon sedan gamble.

I have been on the lookout for an early falcon project for a while. I was on the hook for a couple of cars- a rusted out ute then a convertable coupe which I made a deal on and it fell through. About 6 weeks ago I came across an add for a falcon sedan in SA being parted out, it was sold in three parts the body, a brand new interior and a warm 302. Really only interested in the body I made further inquiry.

The seller described the body as a rust free exterior, with some rust in the inner sills and it needs front and rear screens. He sent a few pics of the rust and some other details- XT master cylinder, disk brakes, new rubbers and a few other bits and pieces. Feeling the pressure of over a year of searching and already missing out on a couple of cool cars over the next couple of days I payed and organised freight.

The gamble is that the thing has had a ~2 inch roof chop. Currently unengineered, no windscreens and some rust. So at this stage even I think I'm an idiot. But the car arrived this week, and everyone who has seen it likes the looks and so do I. I haven't had a chance to have a good look at the condition of the thing yet....

whoa - that is different.

whats the plans ? 6 or and 8?

Engineer
    Rust repair
    Glass
    Power booster/master (apparently swift fits?)
    250 log/C4 as a temporary measure

I'll give you something hard truths right now after doing the same thing with a 63 Holden

It'll be full of rust
    You'll start stripping it and fall down the rabbit hole
    You'll spend 4x what you think and 10x more time
    It'll be a cunt to rego and you'll get knocked back a couple of times

That's all I got so far i haven't got ime regoed yet but it's still totally worth it.

To be honest, I don't think it's worth much, being chopped and unregistered, as well as sedan. White roof ruins the looks, but easy to fix.

Quote Originally Posted by EJ DUDE View Post
    I'll give you something hard truths right now...
    Thanks. Expecting a few hurdles. I was giving myself a 15k budget to get the rust, drivetrain, suspension and brakes sorted - and I already have a good, running engine and box/accessories. If it's going to cost 60k I'll give up now! Haha

Quote Originally Posted by AlexinPerth View Post
    To be honest, I don't think it's worth much, being chopped and unregistered, as well as sedan. White roof ruins the looks, but easy to fix.
    I agree, engineering is the first and probably most importiant issue to address. Worst case is I part it out and get some money back.

I didn't like the roof either and thought a colour change would be required but it looks a lot better in person.

Very cool project!

I think the white would work a lot better if you add some more white elsewhere (Scallops/Whitewalls/Pinstriping) to balance it out.

I'd do the bare minimum to get it rego'd first and foremost, then go from there.

How hard a job are the windscreens?

Quote Originally Posted by big_pete View Post
    I'm guessing that's why it's an unfinished project. Because it's been chopped by shortening the pillars rather than raking them, the glass needs shortening, not just cut at the top, but cut in at the sides. The back screen is pretty easy to cut, being non laminated. The Laminated front screen will need to be very carefully cut with a grinder or a sand blaster - but, because the roof skin has not been widened, the sides of the curved screen might not line up too well. I vaguely recall seeing pricetags of ~$3500 for custom windscreens if you provide the buck.
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Quote Originally Posted by big_pete View Post
    Very cool project!

I think the white would work a lot better if you add some more white elsewhere (Scallops/Whitewalls/Pinstriping) to balance it out.

I'd do the bare minimum to get it rego'd first and foremost, then go from there.

Thanks. I do plan to add at least white walls.
    Yep, will do all the engineering, brakes, suspension, drivetrain and slap together an interior for rego.
    Gammaboy is pretty much spot on. The curve of the pillar has changed and hopefully the standard glass can be cut to suit. The opening is apparently very similar to a coupe screen, so I will be exploring that avenue as well. The car was rego'd in SA in the 80s so all the windscreen trim pieces are there, it's just a matter of sorting glass.

Quote Originally Posted by Gammaboy View Post
    The back screen is pretty easy to cut, being non laminated.
    I'm getting conflicting information on this... hopefully you are right. Have you done anything like it?

yeah i thought that about the windows

the back whilst substantially flat does have a slight curve which steepens at the at the sides- wonder if a lexan rear is engineer-able ?

front hmmm - may get lucky and a coupe one will fit - different to the sedans.as lower roofline

the story goes that the XM/XP coupes - whilst uber cool now , werent a big seller - one of the reasons being 'gentleman' had a hard time fitting inside with their hats on ..

Last edited by 9triton; 29-09-17 at 05:12 PM.

heres how to chop an XP wagon /deluvery roof : use two roofs sectioned to give the extra width and length :as you cut height out of the pillars -the roof needs to get wider-an longer - or rerake the pillars inwards and back- then your door frames will be out etc etc

it says the coupe windscreen is 3" shorter windscreen - but when you add the rubber it makes it only approx 2" shorter - thus detrmining the amount of roof chop

not chopping first and then working out how to do the windscreen

44- ive got the whole article - so shout out if you want it -or if you on ford forums -ill give you a link

can see the 4 sections fron 2 wagon roofs :

bit in here about trimming the coupe windscreen

Last edited by 9triton; 29-09-17 at 05:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 44 View Post
    The car was rego'd in SA in the 80s so all the windscreen trim pieces are there, it's just a matter of sorting glass.

t?
    rego'd with chopped roof ?

may be a coupe screen is the solution ?

hmm what happened to the orig screen ?

Thank for the article I will read it tonight. This thing looks to have used two roofs but only for length.

is it possible to graft a std roof and pillars back on, then use std glass?

Quote Originally Posted by 44 View Post
    Thank for the article I will read it tonight. This thing looks to have used two roofs but only for length.
    if i recall correctly - its width as well -each section cut a bit over half way lengthways

ps there are pages i didnt post
    Last edited by 9triton; 29-09-17 at 06:01 PM.

because the roof skin has not been widened, the sides of the curved screen might not line up too well. I vaguely recall seeing pricetags of ~$3500 for custom windscreens if you provide the buck.
    Cannot speak for standard this auto glass but my suppliers can make from a CAD model, 3500 (usd) will get me a one-off 40mm thick windscreen.

but if you need to make a buck.

https://www.customcarchronicle.com/c.../custom-glass/
    Last edited by Fondles; 29-09-17 at 06:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 9triton View Post
    rego'd with chopped roof ?

may be a coupe screen is the solution ?

hmm what happened to the orig screen ?
    Yep with the roof.
    Hope it is!
    No idea.

Quote Originally Posted by 9triton View Post
    if i recall correctly - its width as well -each section cut a bit over half way lengthways

ps there are pages i didnt post
    Sorry I meant my sedan, the roof is lengthened.

Quote Originally Posted by Fondles View Post
    Cannot speak for standard this auto glass but my suppliers can make from a CAD model, 3500 (usd) will get me a one-off 40mm thick windscreen.

but if you need to make a buck.

https://www.customcarchronicle.com/c.../custom-glass/
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by hgmonaro View Post
    is it possible to graft a std roof and pillars back on, then use std glass?
    I guess, but its the main appeal of the vehicle. It is an option if engineering is not possible though.

Due to the age of the car i believe the standard front windsceen would not have been laminate if you can find one or two. The glass can be cut down by hand, it wouldnt hurt to have a couple on hand as it doesnt always go well the first attempt.

correct- not laminated - 'Zone toughened ' - those winsdreens that shatter into a million bits -

problem being that engineering may require laminated being used .

on another note - if it was reg in SA as a chop all those years ago - maybe able to argue its 'never been off the road-

do walk in reg in SA then transfer it to qld....
    Last edited by 9triton; 29-09-17 at 07:41 PM.

Everyone is saying different things on the glass... would be good to know if it can be cut or not. I thought it would but google reveals a heap of forum warriors swearing it can't be done.

I'll try to engineer it now to eliminate trouble down the track.

Dear Mr 44,

We're all natsayers and cunts.

Prove us all wrong and make the Falcon cool.

Most Aussies don't' know but every falcon up to the XA was a American Falcon. Panels can be found in places like Dennis here.

Good luck with the build. Get used to fuckwits saying "Is it on the road yet" and make sure you have fun doing it.

The glass can be cut. Guy on another forum I'm on cut an impala windscreen down with a carbide bit in a tile router for his MGB that's 11" wider than stock.
    http://www.mgexp.com/phorum/read.php?1,2133266
    People have also done it with a grinder, but be prepared to trash windscreens along the way.

I'd forgotten about the coupe windscreens, that's likely a goer.
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

They cut laminated glass on the episode of Overhaulin' where they grafted an oval window into a 356 and used a Toyota Scion windscreen to make the oval glass - https://youtu.be/9wiPJ3t_XHc?t=21m55s

Moran Glass in Tingalpa would be able to make you a screen as well - doubt it'd be cheap but they have the capability to make bucks and glass for anything
    Last edited by Stix Zadinia; 30-09-17 at 01:04 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Smidge View Post
    Would bang. Did bang. Marrying that shit.
    SUNTORY BOSS is the boss of them all since 1992!

Quote Originally Posted by mizone View Post
    Dear Mr 44,

We're all natsayers and cunts.

Prove us all wrong and make the Falcon cool.

Most Aussies don't' know but every falcon up to the XA was a American Falcon. Panels can be found in places like Dennis here.

Good luck with the build. Get used to fuckwits saying "Is it on the road yet" and make sure you have fun doing it.
    PF wouldn't be PF without the cunts. Thanks for the link.

Quote Originally Posted by Stix Zadinia View Post
    They cut laminated glass on the episode of Overhaulin' where they grafted an oval window into a 356 and used a Toyota Scion windscreen to make the oval glass - https://youtu.be/9wiPJ3t_XHc?t=21m55s

Moran Glass in Tingalpa would be able to make you a screen as well - doubt it'd be cheap but they have the capability to make bucks and glass for anything
    Had seen that Ep. Thanks. Probably a good option for the rear- I could just chop up cheap wrecker spec screens and fuck up as many as it takes.

The glass can be cut. Guy on another forum I'm on cut an impala windscreen down with a carbide bit in a tile router for his MGB that's 11" wider than stock.
    http://www.mgexp.com/phorum/read.php?1,2133266
    People have also done it with a grinder, but be prepared to trash windscreens along the way.

I'd forgotten about the coupe windscreens, that's likely a goer.
    Thanks. If I can't find someone to do it locally I was planning on using a sandblaster. The router option sounds much better.

5 axis waterjet ?

send this guy a message and ask him how he did his wndscreen ?
    chopped xy ute :
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1972-Ford...cAAOSw-EBZqTQM

Message sent. No reply yet.

Amongst the trim in the boot was a stock A pillar windscreen trim and the shortened version

Based on this it's approx 45mm chop.
    Last edited by 44; 03-10-17 at 08:08 PM.

chopped xm wagon on gumtree - in qld:

maybe another lead on the windscreen solution ?

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/been...tom/1143162349

9triton cheers for the link.
    Managed to speak to the builder. Original front screen was a cut down sedan and the rear was lexan. He suggested cutting an original rear screen with water jet.

Anyway, the engineer wants a seat before he gives the go ahead so today after some research and hours scouring a mates wreckers, we have what every good build must have: Subaru parts. Out of an outback, 3 of the four mounts are sitting flat so just need to sort the one corner. Will look the part once covered, and they sit at around the right height (below the bottom of side windows. Just have to locate them properly. Is it as simple as centring the seat on the centreline of the steering wheel?

Last edited by 44; 08-11-17 at 07:26 PM.