Thread: AN to steel hardline. what works?

AN to steel hardline. what works?

Hi Guys, I am upgrading my fuel system at the moment and want to go from my stock hardlines to AN fittings. will need to hold 100psi of fuel pressure for a decent safety margin.

I have to cut the hardline as it currently ends way up beside the fuel tank and is inaccessable.

options are:

1. 37 degree flare fitting to AN6 (flaring pipe may be an issue do to accessability)
    2. stainless Swagelok double ferrule to JIC37/AN flare
    3. speed flow etc compression fitting to AN6 with the brass Olive and no flare required.

I am hesitant to use the speedflow type due to it being steel hardline and the olive is only brass, to me this indicates its for use on alloy pipe not steel. you need the compression fitting material to be harder than the pipe material so it cuts in properly I thought.

what are people using?

Thanks
    Last edited by burn is weird; 29-09-17 at 12:21 PM.

Oo___oO

I've always brazed weld-on speedflow dash fittings to the hardline but means removing it from the car. I'm hesitant to use compression fittings on hard lines not endorsed by the fitting manufacturer.

hmm. these lines run from engine bay to fuel tank above all kinds of suspension and chassis bits so they're not coming out!

Oo___oO

Quote Originally Posted by burn is weird View Post
    3. speed flow etc compression fitting to AN6 with the brass Olive and no flare required.

I am hesitant to use the speedflow type due to it being steel hardline and the olive is only brass, to me this indicates its for use on alloy pipe not steel. you need the compression fitting material to be harder than the pipe material so it cuts in properly I thought.
    yeah don't.

I thought it'd be a great idea, bought 1/2" stainless hard line -8 compression fittings - brass olive. tube straightener and a tube bender to turn the coil of staino into form fitting lines, spent ages getting them all right. added on the fittings, and.

it fucking leaked like a flammable water fall.

that's with the pumps off after priming the system.

Now running just -8 PTFE braided line the whole way.

fucking waste of money
    GT-P
    Bandsenkowagon

Opens
    Used dash 5 speedflow in the past and had no issues - aluminium olive in that case. Also used flare, tube nut and sleeve with no probs elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by gxxr View Post
    Used dash 5 speedflow in the past and had no issues - aluminium olive in that case. Also used flare, tube nut and sleeve with no probs elsewhere.
    On aluminium line or steel?

Have used a brass olive and a generic JIC fitting once on a fuel return line and had no probs.

More recently wanted to do the same thing on the high pressure side and was talked out of it by 2 hydraulic guys who went into detailed conversation about steel surface treatments etc and why olives would be bad.
    Mit freundlichen Gre

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Duckworth View Post
    "I think that in a racing engine, the closer it is to disintegrating, in general the better its performance will be "

Use swagelok from hard vacuum through to high pressure hydraulic at work. I would use that on the hard lines if size matched and get hydraulically swagged JIC/Swagelok end fitting steel braid teflon for soft lines if you want more than regular efi soft lines. I know they work but for the cost of speedflow you can get the good shit anyway. Assuming there will be a Pirtec/Ryco/Enzed/Swahelok supplier somewhere nearby that can cut and terminate soft lines for you.
    Last edited by Slides; 01-10-17 at 01:14 AM.

Opens
    Quote Originally Posted by mizone View Post
    On aluminium line or steel?
    The compression fittings were used on steel bundy tubing. It was 8mm rather than 5/16" too...so should theoretically be worse for leaking, but was dry as a bone.

Equivalent fitting from Earls, I think they state something around max 50psi, so maybe if there's a bit of boost involved, you could run into trouble? In the past, did crush pressure and return in a rally and used generic brass compression fittings from a hydraulic place and had no probs there either.

If the flare tool is the usual big-arsed thing - Parker is the one I use, have silver soldered -8 male in place on steel hardline too after a bit of lathe work on the back end of the fitting. Suppose vapors, flammable insulation, etc might be a stumbling block if it's tight.

Parker Vibra-Lok is rated for high pressure fuel on Steel bundy and stainless...

http://www.comoso.com/uploads/produc...k_Fittings.pdf

Thanks for the help fellas. I've used 316 SS swagelok in 2000psi lines in the gas industry under significant vibration so that's the way I'll go for reliability and fitment due to lack of access. Will cut and paint strip the line before swaging the fitting on.

Thanks for the discussion!

fitting is

3/8 tube to 3/8 AN Flare Stainless (SS-600-6-6AN)

need to measure the fuel line OD with calipers tonight to see if I need to use an adaptor or not (SS-500-R-6)

Last edited by burn is weird; 03-10-17 at 11:04 AM.