Thread: Rough cost for an exhaust section?

PF's #1 soft roader advocate Captiva Fan's Avatar

Rough cost for an exhaust section?

I think it's ben mentioned to me before but I only noticed the effect today ... but the exhaust has been made so that at full extension of the rear suspension, the sway-bar pushes down on the top of the exhaust. One of the hangers is pretty torn as a result, as it supports the weight of the diff (and probably does so when you drive over a decent bump). Even my inexperienced eye can see how it could've been made to avoid this problem, and also have the exhaust tucked closer to the underside of the car & avoid some of the scrapes I'm getting.

There's a flange maybe 30cm in front of the rear axle, so replacement of the rear section could be done without replacing the whole system. There's one muffler involved, it's a 3" mild steel pipe, maybe 1.5m of pipe & about 10 separate sections/bends would be needed (according to my count - unless they get a mandrill to bend some pipe rather than welding a bunch of different piece together).

What approximate sort of money would something like this cost?
    Should I just throw some money at Dale to fix it, is that still Castle Hill Exhausts' thing?
    Soft roaders represent an excellent compromise between the needs of the hardcore 4x4 user and the convenience of a city hatchback. Its clear to see why they have become so popular in todays society.

I'd say Castle Hill Exhaust would sort it no problems. This is the Ovlov yeah ?

get your wife to call an exhaust shop when she's next back home? otherwise a fellow PF member without agoraphobia should be able to help you.

She's home Wednesday ... could be worth a try, ta for the very helpful & useful help in identifying which exhaust shops are & aren't shit given that the place that did the original exhaust apparently is.

Potsy, yeah, 'tis the Volvo. Would be good if it were possible to enter/exit our driveway without scrapeage!
    Soft roaders represent an excellent compromise between the needs of the hardcore 4x4 user and the convenience of a city hatchback. Its clear to see why they have become so popular in todays society.

Quote Originally Posted by crack View Post
    get your wife to call an exhaust shop when she's next back home?
    So I summoned up the courage to ask her to do this for me ... the generic answer on the basis of my question is "how long is a piece of string".

In my case it's a few hundred bucks, but that's because the rear muffler is still fine & will be re-used, so it's basically just a metre's worth of pipe winding in all directions. They needed to look at it to know what was involved though.

/story

*edit*

storyaddendum

Hertz in Castle Hill is about a 100m walk from CHE ... and has a Rustang GT for $200/day ... hmmm, this could increase the cost of that exhaust ...

/storyaddendum
    Last edited by Captiva Fan; 04-10-17 at 01:30 PM.