Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Talk me out of buying a new SS-V Redline

Going to have a close look and test drive on Friday morning. Will also drive an auto just to compare but the manual gearbox would have to be a complete dog for me not to go that route. One of the dealers close to me has a couple of Motorsport editions, including one manual. The MRC, two-piece cross-drilled rotors, transmission cooler, heated seats (a no-pics requirement) are so tempting, but those fucking stickers!

Bastard dealer also has a number of HSVs to tempt me but I don't know that I want to part with that much cash.

Time will tell.

Happy to continue receiving encouragement or the voices of reason for that balanced argument.

Holden announces limited-time 7-year warranty offer

Holden is hoping to boost customer interest in its offerings with a limited-time offer of seven-years, 175,000km warranty on all product purchased between now and December 31 this year (2017).

And the current Holden Commodore is also included in this offer.

Former hairdresser Captain_Slow's Avatar
    The manual is so much better than the VE at least that it's not funny.

I don't regret not getting the Motorsport. And with such high build numbers, IMHO it will never be worth big money.

I bought an LSA R8. It fucking rocks. Hope this helps...

PF's #1 soft roader advocate Captiva Fan's Avatar
    I don't think that includes V8's.
    Soft roaders represent an excellent compromise between the needs of the hardcore 4x4 user and the convenience of a city hatchback. Its clear to see why they have become so popular in todays society.

Quote Originally Posted by MisterB View Post
    Going to have a close look and test drive on Friday morning. Will also drive an auto just to compare but the manual gearbox would have to be a complete dog for me not to go that route. One of the dealers close to me has a couple of Motorsport editions, including one manual. The MRC, two-piece cross-drilled rotors, transmission cooler, heated seats (a no-pics requirement) are so tempting, but those fucking stickers.
    Maybe one of the cars he has doesn't have the stickers applied yet?
    I think it was an option for buyers to be able to get their car delivered with fresh unsullied stickers not yet applied.
    Soft roaders represent an excellent compromise between the needs of the hardcore 4x4 user and the convenience of a city hatchback. Its clear to see why they have become so popular in todays society.

Having stickers go away is easy......

Hope that helps

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk

^ I suspect you'd be stripping off a few grand's worth of resale-value doing that, dunno if it'd be worth paying an extra ~10k over a Redline if you then melt an extra $5k off the retained value.

I will take the stickers, might save me washing the car if I get enough of them.
    NA8B 89KW- P.I. 1:50.1, WNTN1:38.0, SDWN 1:27.6, WKFLD 1:10.4
    NB8B 181KW- P.I 1:43.8, WNTN 1:32.9, SDWN 1:22.0, BDFD 1:05.3
    VP 293KW- P.I 1:46.0 WNTN 1:33.5

Quote Originally Posted by Captiva Fan View Post
    ^ I suspect you'd be stripping off a few grand's worth of resale-value doing that, dunno if it'd be worth paying an extra ~10k over a Redline if you then melt an extra $5k off the retained value.
    They won't give you the stripes unapplied? I sold my GT with unapplied GT stripes.

You could order them without stripes as an option, and get them in a safe little package for keeping, but given that they've all been built already & anything in a dealer is stock that was ordered months ago, it'd be just whatever that dealer ordered (if they were smart it'd be with stripes unapplied & because they can always apply them later - but who knows).

Kind of thinking the same thing atm.. the 7 year warranty is the biggest clincher. Just the 60+ish price.. What have you guys been able to negotiate?

Negotiate?? 😂
    They wouldn't budge on rrp for me. They did throw in some accessories though

Quote Originally Posted by BiGz View Post
    Kind of thinking the same thing atm.. the 7 year warranty is the biggest clincher. Just the 60+ish price.. What have you guys been able to negotiate?
    There's pretty much no negotiation on a V8 at the moment. Like, a few hundred bucks via some included options.
    And the Holden site only shows SV6's as having the 7yr warranty.

*edit*
    Despite this, apparently people have been getting the 7yr warranty on V8 models; so it's a possibility, may not be by-default but is worth pushing for.
    Last edited by Captiva Fan; 04-10-17 at 06:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Captiva Fan View Post
    There's pretty much no negotiation on a V8 at the moment. Like, a few hundred bucks via some included options.
    And the Holden site only shows SV6's as having the 7yr warranty.
    Plenty of dealer used options that have taken the depreciation hit and offer 3 year 175k warranty. Might have to go look at a few.

^ Just beware "dealer warranty", it's generally not worth the breath it's spoken with.

What have you guys been able to negotiate?
    I squeezed another $1000 out of them on my trade-in but that's it. They know demand exceeds supply and Holden isn't helping them with any factory backed offers either.

Don't do it.

Did that work?
    Previously known as Lobster, Chuss's brother's anus, Chuss's brother, Lobsook, Lobstersock, Socks, Sockz, MissAmericaImportGirl, ClutchCLobster

CJM 4 Life yo!

^ A man (entity?) who can control time itself can surely talk someone out of buying a superceded product from a failed manufacturer?

Plenty of dealer used options that have taken the depreciation hit and offer 3 year 175k warranty. Might have to go look at a few.
    Buy a VF2 Redline with sub 20kms on, save yourself 15k or so ? And it should still have a couple of years warranty...

I almost bought one in Melbourne prior to the Clubby - MY16 with 8,000kms for 53k. Rang and spoke to sales dude, slept on it, rang back late the following afternoon and it was gone.
    Last edited by Fatboy; 04-10-17 at 07:28 PM.
    LSA for towing, APRA N15 for going...

Quote Originally Posted by Sumodog View Post
    What for?
    Stinger likely to be more reliable, interior looks more modern (but pretty cheap & nasty looking to my eye), I donít think anythingís conclusive regarding performance between the two, Stinger only comes with the gearbox for non-enthusiasts, both have currently got comparable warranties, and the Stinger apparently doesnít steer or handle quite as well/engagingly.
    And I think Stinger resale will be considerably worse.
    But I suspect power-related mods may be cheaper & easier for a Stinger, and wouldnít mind betting better fuel economy too (itís a smaller car after all).
    Last edited by Captiva Fan; 11-10-17 at 09:44 PM.

the motorsport is the one the collectors are grabbing picked up 2 for a guy who is putting them in the shed one with 5 klm the other had 6 klms sick fuck if you ask me.

if you ring around you can still find a colour even the redline is worth grabbing just do it
    check out my web site
    http://meggala.com

yeah I tow cars and other things

I keep saying this, but 1200 units made. Will take forever to see a ROI.

Director, on the other hand, or Magnum, much rarer. They're the ones it makes sense to collect.

^ The fact that there are a dozen MSE's on CarSales backs this up, but on the other hand, the fact there aren't any Directors also means you'll struggle to find one.

6 directors on carsales.

Some seem a little optimistic this early on
    https://carsales.mobi/cars/details/H...SSE-AD-5020867

LOL cunt selling that is on crack.

In 12 months time I think most of these"special editions" will take a huge hit once people forget about the factory closing

^ My bad; didn't think to search under Calais, I thought they were all Commodores these days!

sexy fingers
    Quote Originally Posted by Gats View Post
    LOL cunt selling that is on crack.

In 12 months time I think most of these"special editions" will take a huge hit once people forget about the factory closing
    not to mention most cunts are keeping them in the shed and not using them hoping for money in years to come, what happens when everyones done that and your "mint condition" special edition is the same as every other one on the market?
    GU Patrol L98, Manualised Auto, 35s, Kings etc
    VF2 Redline Ute
    E36 Track Nugget Project

'98 Honda XR600R / '00 Kawasaki ZX-12R / '08 Honda CRF450R Supermoto / '09 KTM RC8R / '10 KTM RC8R (Broken Frame)

All this. Fools gold,just buy them and drive the doors off them. The motorsport/director look an ok package but they are the Franklin Mint of collectables. Like late model FPV Ford with gt stripes. Meaning every single one of them will be kept in perfect, low km condition because "collectors item",but noone gives a shit as they were made in the thousands as collectables ! More than 2000 of these Commodores. Put in perspective there were less than 100 A9X coupes ever made, 300 GTHO ph3 etc now these werent produced as collectables and were actually used for motorsport, stolen, crashed etc. Infact there are more of just these 'limited edition' series than the entire Brock catalogue of VC HDT, VH GRP3, VK GRP A, and VL GRP A *combined*.
    Last edited by ironhorse; 12-10-17 at 05:15 PM.