Thread: Powerglide trans cooler

Powerglide trans cooler

Cat, bag, etc but new area for me.

How much trans cooler do I want (links, examples, etc)? Thermostat necessary? What max/min temps should I be looking for?

Can't afford to melt it so want to do it right and only want do do it once so want it to be up to whatever I throw at it later.

Heavy car, big stall, brake, powercruise, etc. Fuck all power, glide not even necessary, but want don't want to touch it again in case the unlikely 'one day' more hp scenario eventuates.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

Opens
    I have 2 coolers on mine. One dual row cooler with fan that comes on with engine temperature mounted under the car (fan basically runs all of the time) and another PWR cooler mounted at the front with another fan switched via a thermostatic switch. 2nd fan has only ever switched on once on the hottest day of the year.

No issues in a couple of thousand kms. I run a deep pan as well, with the coolers and lines it takes around 10L of type F fluid (lot fluid to heat but also lot of fluid to cool).

TH400 wouldn't be better suited to a heavier car?

With a high stall you want as much cooler as you can fit in, no such thing as being able to run too cool it just doesn't happen.
    Usually with the largest most efficient cooler you can fit you will still need to keep an eye on it at powercruise.
    meh

An alloy radiator from a Polaris or something. Filtered thermostat, fluid reservoir, worth every kilogram.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bosshoggett View Post
    If your planing to drive this on the road and enjoy it, id suggest a second opinion, someone with a history in Australian Rally or Fink River . If your just playing dyno comps. Then ok

I have a decent sized one on my Galant, fitted right up front under the bumper. Without measuring, I reckon it's roughly 30x30cm.
    Car is a 2.6 astron, powerglide with 3500 stall and transbrake. Used to be the previous owner's daily, I've done numerous summernats including cruising in the heat, powercruises, dyno runs, Hundreds of 10/11 second quarter mile passes, street driving etc. Never had an issue and never had to open up the box either. Box and cooler have been in the car for about 20 years.

I think the more important thing is I changed the oil after every drag meet.

Thread can keep going as it's useful info, but I ended up going TR6060 as I've decided a glide will spoil the car. At $1500 it is also more in line with a realistic budget.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

cunt

http://derale.com/products/fluid-coo...ler-kit-detail

this is pretty much bomb proof and works well
    Quote Originally Posted by BeverlyHillsCop View Post
    I think u should marry her... slip the ring inside your ass and next time she goes in, she'll come out with a ring on her finger...

I had that Derale cooler on the xw when it was 3500rpm stally running 11.3. Worked awesome and is now on the wife's XC70.
    xw Falcon 393 full race cam, NGK spark plugs.